dachopper

Sydney to Hobart 2019

Did it on our family's Swanson 36 - Sequel...with my Dad....and my best mate....when I was very young! Arrived in Hobart at sunrise...on New Years Day!!

• Like 2

A Cole 35. Nasty. Perro and the boys started one on Scampi-A. She was 28ft 8 ins loa. from memory but they retired with a broken boom. The smallest I believe is Klinger one of Bruce Farrs first boats. She was less than 27 foot LOA. Tim Cassidy owned it and they got knocked down so far all the winch handles slid out. ‘82 maybe?

• Like 2

Klinger was the smallest, hot little rocket in its day with its bilious green paint job.  

Spiesy did it in a modified Triton 28 at some stage too. 

3 hours ago, Flatbag said:

Klinger was the smallest, hot little rocket in its day with its bilious green paint job.   

Pretty sure it was Klinger that had the super spartan interior....camp stretchers bungy corded to frames (absolutely non-functional), a bucket and an esky....the mast section looked like it was off an FD or Sharpie... Given that this was OK for a Hobart back in the day,  explains why numbers are down today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Couta said:

Pretty sure it was Klinger that had the super spartan interior....camp stretchers bungy corded to frames (absolutely non-functional), a bucket and an esky....the mast section looked like it was off an FD or Sharpie... Given that this was OK for a Hobart back in the day,  explains why numbers are down today.

Yeah that's pretty much it. I did a B2G and a lot of deliveries on her back before I knew better. Tim told everyone that the water tank was an old Messerschmitt fuel tank. I don't know if it was true but it tasted like shit. And all they fucking ate was tongue sandwiches and neat rum. Old Bruce sure knew how to make boats go quick even back then. We had a lot of fun on her. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Couta said:

Here you go Couta. She was at SYC for many years, last owned by the late Peter Bolton. I understand his son moved the boat elsewhere after Peters passing maybe 5 years ago now so I don't know where she is these days. Great litle boat with a ton of history, I remember seeing her at CYCA after Mike Sharp had delivered her there, she was all green in those days, possibly mid 70s? I have a pic somewhere from that time but these are more recent from her days at Sandringham where she was still a handy club racer. 

452662304_Farr27Klingeroow.thumb.JPG.cb4691536ddccdc9a565721f2702b72f.JPG304141699_Farr27Klinger.thumb.JPG.bb6e736c2d2f8e38eb16a3e45f0ceb01.JPG

• Like 3

SportsCar, your personal library of historic Australian boat images is a total treasure - I sincerely hope it's all digitised & securely backed up for posterity!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Couta said:

SportsCar, your personal library of historic Australian boat images is a total treasure - I sincerely hope it's all digitised & securely backed up for posterity!

Couta I file my images in the finest collection of old Sperry Topsider shoe boxes you've ever seen. Bugger this Cloud bullshit, they could get wet!

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Couta said:

And you thought I was kidding? We do have the very latest security measures in place - none shall pass!

421104162_ImageFilesSecurity.thumb.JPG.de66ac8ea2b054ad4be30fc7d25c2981.JPG

• Like 4

^^^ Hey SportsCar... a cat sailor? I thort you were a sea dog mono man!

Most male sailors I know are partial to some pussy Couta :o

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:35 PM, Feilberg said:

Eastsail

I think Mayfair (Beneteau First 40) could be purchased and race ready..... (based in Brisbane but could still be in Hobart afaik?)

Interesting to see the CYCA raising the issue of accommodating foiling mono's in future to races to ensure the race is at the forefront of development. Does make you wonder whether they have ever heard of multihulls?

and so it begins again .....

1 hour ago, DtM said:

and so it begins again .....

Cool .... sounds like we're a goer this year.....?

I have been working on the port hull to make sure it is ready to go.

Other than trying to sell your hull (and mine) what are you doing?

On 1/24/2019 at 1:53 AM, Feilberg said:

The 75th.

The anniversary editions always attracted a good small boat fleet.

What's the smallest yacht that you've done a hobart on? 

Leads into the what's the smallest yacht that you would do the 75th on?

Could be a good year for under 40fters

Mumm 30

On 2/4/2019 at 8:01 PM, psyclone said:

I think Mayfair (Beneteau First 40) could be purchased and race ready..... (based in Brisbane but could still be in Hobart afaik?)

There may be a very cheap 40.7 beachball there called Beachball that might be going up on the auction block. Will need a bit of work. :-)

7 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

There may be a very cheap 40.7 beachball there called Beachball that might be going up on the auction block. Will need a bit of work. :-)

When is this happening?

On 2/23/2019 at 1:49 PM, paulewill said:

Mumm 30

Would you do it again on a f30?

Great thread! Just a few questions about this year’s edition: 

1. Will multis be allowed in this time? 

2. Any update about the weather? 

3. Will Mr. Richards obviously break a rule and then try to explain it all away in the most arrogant and idiotic way only to make himself look like a pompous cheating dickhead? 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2019 at 12:36 PM, 10thTonner said:

Great thread! Just a few questions about this year’s edition: 

1. Will multis be allowed in this time? 

2. Any update about the weather? 

3. Will Mr. Richards obviously break a rule and then try to explain it all away in the most arrogant and idiotic way only to make himself look like a pompous cheating dickhead? 

Probably. To the last one. And about the weather. Probably about that too. 

~him

22 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

LOA or LWL?

Coupla times bouncing on the LWL limit (24ft)

Narrows it down to a half-tonner or an S & S 34?

4 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

I reckon I must be certifiable -- most of my rides have been 34 footers.

Which 34 footers Duncan?

You are right, certifiable.

Never been on anything under 40 feet and now applying the age plus 10 feet (that used to be the rule) it would have to be 72 !!!!!   Kind of limits the choices.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duncan (the other one) said:

Impeccable (Peterson 3/4 tonner) and Azzurro (S&S 34)

Back row just off the bow of the white motor boat. Impeccable in Hobart Jan 1 1982 after her first Hobart?

Constitution Dock Jan 1 1982.jpg

8 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Back row just off the bow of the white motor boat. Impeccable in Hobart Jan 1 1982 after her first Hobart?

Constitution Dock Jan 1 1982.jpg

Yup. That's her. Pretty distinctive stern and speed-stripe paint job. 

The mighty rotbox.. 2000.  Somewhere off the Tassie coast.. so cold we were rotating helm every 30-min to keep warm.. that guy in the stern may not be helping speed too much, but he's trying to defrost.

Impeccable_642SH00.jpg

• Like 1

Back in 72 we where doing 10 mins upstairs with the stove going flat tack downstairs.....snow on Mt Wellington.....bloody cold going across Storm Bay.

I suppose it is always warm downstairs on a 100 footer given the engine is running all the time

• Like 4

4 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

The mighty rotbox.. 2000.  Somewhere off the Tassie coast.. so cold we were rotating helm every 30-min to keep warm.. that guy in the stern may not be helping speed too much, but he's trying to defrost.

Where did the rotbox end up post John's passing?

1 hour ago, DickDastardly said:

Where did the rotbox end up post John's passing?

AFAIK - its still floating on a mooring off Fig Tree Point.  Was being taken out by his son and some of the old crew every now and then, but is slowing meeting its maker. Lack of ventilation or regular salt-water baths have the deck and cabin slowly succumbing to rot.

5 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

AFAIK - its still floating on a mooring off Fig Tree Point.  Was being taken out by his son and some of the old crew every now and then, but is slowing meeting its maker. Lack of ventilation or regular salt-water baths have the deck and cabin slowly succumbing to rot.

That’s a shame. It’s part of the Hobart race history after so many races.

On 3/19/2019 at 10:58 AM, duncan (the other one) said:

Impeccable_642SH00.jpg

22 hours ago, SloopJohnB said:

Back in 72 we where doing 10 mins upstairs with the stove going flat tack downstairs.....snow on Mt Wellington.....bloody cold going across Storm Bay.

Luxury..... back in my day.......................................................................................................

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 12:10 PM, SloopJohnB said:

May have been the same year - we had a  gimballed gas lantern running 24 hours at the galley - a small circle of deckhead above the lamp was the only spot that didn't have ice!

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:16 PM, SPORTSCAR said:

Here you go Couta. She was at SYC for many years, last owned by the late Peter Bolton. I understand his son moved the boat elsewhere after Peters passing maybe 5 years ago now so I don't know where she is these days. Great litle boat with a ton of history, I remember seeing her at CYCA after Mike Sharp had delivered her there, she was all green in those days, possibly mid 70s? I have a pic somewhere from that time but these are more recent from her days at Sandringham where she was still a handy club racer. 

452662304_Farr27Klingeroow.thumb.JPG.cb4691536ddccdc9a565721f2702b72f.JPG304141699_Farr27Klinger.thumb.JPG.bb6e736c2d2f8e38eb16a3e45f0ceb01.JPG

So for a Klinger segway, Tim Cassidy who owned Klinger is a good age now and he has the S&S Hestia class "Tamboo" stripped down in his back yard.

He admits it is bit beyond him now but is a cracker restoration for someone.

Sporty, you there!

1 hour ago, lydia said:

So for a Klinger segway, Tim Cassidy who owned Klinger is a good age now and he has the S&S Hestia class "Tamboo" stripped down in his back yard.

He admits it is bit beyond him now but is a cracker restoration for someone.

Sporty, you there!

Yep, I will letRobert Green know about this. Robert is the surviving son of the late Bob Green who had Tamboo built. Bob was Melbourne’s IOR Measurer back in the day. There’s a half model of Tamboo on the model wall at Sandringham Y C. 

Lydia, now that you have completed such a great resto on Defiance, you would be the ideal operator to take on another timber S&S refit

Sporty, it is still in great nick even though stripped as Tim has stored it well.

Gary Stewart did great work.

Stem needs work to refasten and all the caulking it out so time to spline it but apart from some deck repairs near the bow it has a newish Yanmar and new rigging.

Still launch original inside thank goodness.

I was already into Defiance when I heard about it.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2019 at 12:49 PM, paulewill said:

Mumm 30

FUCK THAT

You couldn't pay me to go to Hobart on one of those

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SloopJohnB said:

The group, comprised of Andrew Buckland, Fred Barrett, Simon Grosser, Lindsay Stead and Brett van Munster has significant experience in designing, engineering, building and campaigning across high performance racing in all forms.

The group has funded the design costs to date, anticipating the evolution of the rating and regulatory framework to enable participation.

Sounds like a big punt to be taking.. Mr Kite Jnr  ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duncan (the other one) said:

The group, comprised of Andrew Buckland, Fred Barrett, Simon Grosser, Lindsay Stead and Brett van Munster has significant experience in designing, engineering, building and campaigning across high performance racing in all forms.

The group has funded the design costs to date, anticipating the evolution of the rating and regulatory framework to enable participation.

Sounds like a big punt to be taking.. Mr Kite Jnr  ?

Yes, I clicked on the link before I read your post and thought ... "Mr Kite redux" 

Jack, you got it.

But with rudder foils, so it actually gets some 95% to 100% separation.

Not aiming for height though, kinda skimming with (say) less than 1m height at vmax in flat water.

We neglected to send out rudder foil pics so attached is V1 pressure distribution and foil geometry.

Anyhow, all sensible ? answered here!

Cheers

AB

Rudder Tfoil.png

1 hour ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

Interesting. I can see one of these sitting on a handstand berth in Brisbane in the not too distant future.

Shouldn’t you be starting a Brisbane to Gladstone thread? Only 20 odd sleeps to go before the blue water classic in fresh to frightening southeast trade winds kicks off.

14 minutes ago, greasy al said:

Shouldn’t you be starting a Brisbane to Gladstone thread? Only 20 odd sleeps to go before the blue water classic in fresh to frightening southeast trade winds kicks off.

From the mud flats of Moreton Bay to the shitpipe into Happyrock

Actually where is the thread for the ultimate test of one’s offshore manlihood Brisbane Royal Rumblers to the island owned by a wine company race which is being run in competition to their own Pineapple Classic - a race that @LB 15 has made his own over the years taking home numerous 3rd in PHS trophies?

Serious question -- does roll contribute significantly to directional instability ?  I can see that a big heeling event with lifting rudder may push the stern around if the AOA is wrong (eg: you've just launched off a quartering sea).

On 3/27/2019 at 5:04 PM, jack_sparrow said:

A 50' cut down version of the crewed (5) IMOCA 60' variant for the RTW Ocean Race (ex VOR).

13 hours ago, Andrew Buckland said:

Jack, you got it.

Not aiming for height though, kinda skimming with (say) less than 1m height at vmax in flat water.

We neglected to send out rudder foil pics so attached is V1 pressure distribution and foil geometry.

Cheers

AB

Rudder Tfoil.png

Andrew one of the problems with taking a short handed boat like a foiling IMOCA 60 and making it crewed (6 including a OBR) is the extra load that imposes and accommodation space (incl persons and gear for 3 week long legs) required.

Do you have a optimum crew number in mind for a 650 mile crewed sprint with only a couple of sleeps?

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:40 PM, jack_sparrow said:

Hoppy you can burn up $30K pretty quickly on a 40 footer that is in good order just to turn up and get home, and more the further afield home is.  @SCANAS would be able to provide a reliable figure for a QLD boat.

Oh Yes Jack, completely true, throw in a couple (in our case 3) decent new sails and the figure rockets up. OK she is a 50 not a 40 but even so.

And do they ever wonder why there are not many foreign boats? Flying in the crew, flying them back from Hobart and then home then shipping the boat from Oz to anywhere costs an arm and a leg if you can find someone reliable - our first go with that was an unhappy experience then a 2nd party stepped in and sorted it all within 10 days.

Big hole in the bank balance by the time it was all over.

Jack, you got it.

Cheers

AB

With electric winches we would do Hobart with 7 or 8, all reflected in loaded disp, vpp etc.

The RM numbers are very high once the foil starts functioning.

Duncan,

It appears that the foiler should have less issues with those mongrel quartering seas that somehow turn up each year, than a displacement or planing hull.

Still more $ to fork out for the rough water cfd work though.

Found this for those that are interested. 

https://youtu.be/WOXuOjQy9dA

Shame they couldn’t shut the guy up using the table/Skil saw in the background. :P

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mad said:

Found this for those that are interested. 

https://youtu.be/WOXuOjQy9dA

Shame they couldn’t shut the guy up using the table/Skil saw in the background. :P

Yeah a bit unlucky with the noise. I for one would love to see this project get up. I think it's a matter of time. If you can see foilers sail around the world why not the Hobart? Perhaps someone could buy Hugo Boss too and bring it down. Good luck Andrew.

On 3/29/2019 at 3:09 PM, Andrew Buckland said:

It appears that the foiler should have less issues with those mongrel quartering seas that somehow turn up each year, than a displacement or planing hull.

Interestingly Andrew in that interview with Geoffrey, you said foiling IMOCA 60 VPP (no T rudders) overlaid on last S2H that didn't have that shitty sea state (that flat water actually causing the skinny and fat 100's to bunch up) and a soft patch east of Tassie, it still had a current generation foiling 60 beating 100's to the line. That translates into a shitty sea state your T ruddered 50' capable of doing the same thing and at price of a 100' wardrobe. That made laugh and a few 100' owners cry no doubt.

In negotiations with CYCA regards eligibility, we may be heading south this year.

Wish me luck.

• Like 4

Thanks Jack.

The dinosaur owners are well aware that time is nearly up!

On 4/7/2019 at 1:52 PM, jack_sparrow said:

Interestingly Andrew in that interview with Geoffrey, you said foiling IMOCA 60 VPP (no T rudders) overlaid on last S2H that didn't have that shitty sea state (that flat water actually causing the skinny and fat 100's to bunch up) and a soft patch east of Tassie, it still had a current generation foiling 60 beating 100's to the line. That translates into a shitty sea state your T ruddered 50' capable of doing the same thing and at price of a 100' wardrobe. That made laugh and a few 100' owners cry no doubt.

Very interesting.... 

On 4/8/2019 at 12:38 PM, Andrew Buckland said:

Thanks Jack.

The dinosaur owners are well aware that time is nearly up!

For sure.... Thanks turning up Andrew... I hope you stick around but that will depend on the thickness of your skin.... 

Maybe me and Shaggy will get to enter our outlawed machines some time soon....

Times they are a changing....

• Like 3

Interesting.... so how deep is the rudder foil... and is it designed to sit on the rudder so when it ventilates you don't get a nose dive, but it sits back down?

Rudder foil length about 1.5 x max ride height, operating at around half the primary foil AOA. So in cavitation or bow down pitch the lift reduces or reverses, 'sitting it down' as you suggest.

A range of adjustment on the rudder rake, and hence lifting foil AOA as well. Not intended to be particularly dynamic though.

Why not make the boat narrower with wings and foils? You would end up with the same beam.

If the boat is narrow lead could be removed to achieve the same stability index as well.

Think a blown up Jet.(The 30' er that sails out of Sydney.)

Then you have a boat that would be fast in light air and heavy air.

• Like 1

High RM is the key to foiling, as well as displacing when hard upwind.

This will have enough sail in various configurations to have design heel (say 15 degrees) in 6 knots TWS.

18 minutes ago, PIL66 said:

will you have finished the buying process and be entering...?

I'm planning to race you in the inaugural shorthanded multihull division.

To finish the process you first have to start it.  Therein lies the problem.

Just now, DtM said:

To finish the process you first have to start it.  Therein lies the problem.

First step in the process is done and dusted...

Pil and I will kick your arse in the short handed multihull division after all our training for last year !!!

9 minutes ago, DtM said:

Pil and I will kick your arse in the short handed multihull division after all our training for last year !!!

Let's  have a slab on it...

6 hours ago, DtM said:

Done ...

You do know that betting drinks between competitors is now frowned upon in case it interferes with the commercial  betting, don' you?

18 hours ago, hoppy said:

Let's  have a slab on it...

Show us your weapons ....

Me and DtM are locked and loaded

20 minutes ago, PIL66 said:

vb_24_x_375ml_stubby_carton.jpg

My ride will be announced once the entries are opened for the short handed multi division...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hoppy said:

vb_24_x_375ml_stubby_carton.jpg

My ride will be announced once the entries are opened for the short handed multi division...

You actually drink that shit?? 

26 minutes ago, PIL66 said:

He’s got LB on as crew boss and coach, with Jack as the Nav/rules guy.........boat yet to be announced, though rumours are it maybe a foiling 50. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mad said:

It's good for hot weather days (not that you would know what they are in the UK ;) )

Way better than the Fosters shit that too many people drink in the UK for some unknown reason. Perhaps they are the Brexit voters, fooled by dodgy marketing...

35 minutes ago, mad said:

Actually, no one here drinks that shit. We save it for our interstate guests. It is clearly labelled V B meaning Visitors Beer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Actually, no one here drinks that shit. We save it for our interstate guests. It is clearly labelled V B meaning Visitors Beer.

I have a fondness for VB as it was the only Aussie beer I could get whilst living in Sweden for 16 year and some could wonder if my daughter is named after it ;)

4 hours ago, mad said:

Yep.. I do but not in bottles.... I buy the 30 can pack..... True story

4 hours ago, mad said:

He’s got LB on as crew boss and coach, with Jack as the Nav/rules guy.........boat yet to be announced, though rumours are it maybe a foiling 50. 

Better not fry an AIS splitter with that team...

4 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

On 4/16/2019 at 1:15 PM, hoppy said:

I'm planning to race you in the inaugural shorthanded multihull division.

Yeah.... nah

What Hoppy doesn't know is that I just won Lotto and great as 66 is we will have a true weapon to beat the shit out of him.  Shhhhhh.

Maybe I should up the bet. 

30 minutes ago, DtM said:

What Hoppy doesn't know is that I just won Lotto and great as 66 is we will have a true weapon to beat the shit out of him.  Shhhhhh.

Maybe I should up the bet. 

Image result for bundaberg rum