dachopper

Sydney to Hobart 2019

Recommended Posts

To finish the process you first have to start it.  Therein lies the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DtM said:

To finish the process you first have to start it.  Therein lies the problem.

First step in the process is done and dusted...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pil and I will kick your arse in the short handed multihull division after all our training for last year !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DtM said:

Pil and I will kick your arse in the short handed multihull division after all our training for last year !!!

Let's  have a slab on it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DtM said:

Done ...

You do know that betting drinks between competitors is now frowned upon in case it interferes with the commercial  betting, don' you?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, hoppy said:

Let's  have a slab on it...

Show us your weapons ....

Me and DtM are locked and loaded

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, PIL66 said:

Show us your weapons ....

Me and DtM are locked and loaded

vb_24_x_375ml_stubby_carton.jpg

My ride will be announced once the entries are opened for the short handed multi division...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hoppy said:

vb_24_x_375ml_stubby_carton.jpg

My ride will be announced once the entries are opened for the short handed multi division...

You actually drink that shit?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, PIL66 said:

Show us your weapons ....

Me and DtM are locked and loaded

He’s got LB on as crew boss and coach, with Jack as the Nav/rules guy.........boat yet to be announced, though rumours are it maybe a foiling 50. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mad said:

You actually drink that shit?? 

It's good for hot weather days (not that you would know what they are in the UK ;) )

Way better than the Fosters shit that too many people drink in the UK for some unknown reason. Perhaps they are the Brexit voters, fooled by dodgy marketing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, mad said:

You actually drink that shit?? 

Actually, no one here drinks that shit. We save it for our interstate guests. It is clearly labelled V B meaning Visitors Beer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Actually, no one here drinks that shit. We save it for our interstate guests. It is clearly labelled V B meaning Visitors Beer.

I have a fondness for VB as it was the only Aussie beer I could get whilst living in Sweden for 16 year and some could wonder if my daughter is named after it ;)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mad said:

You actually drink that shit?? 

Yep.. I do but not in bottles.... I buy the 30 can pack..... True story

4 hours ago, mad said:

He’s got LB on as crew boss and coach, with Jack as the Nav/rules guy.........boat yet to be announced, though rumours are it maybe a foiling 50. 

Better not fry an AIS splitter with that team...

4 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Actually, no one here drinks that shit. We save it for our interstate guests. It is clearly labelled V B meaning Visitors Beer.

On 4/16/2019 at 1:15 PM, hoppy said:

I'm planning to race you in the inaugural shorthanded multihull division.

Yeah.... nah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Hoppy doesn't know is that I just won Lotto and great as 66 is we will have a true weapon to beat the shit out of him.  Shhhhhh.

Maybe I should up the bet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, DtM said:

What Hoppy doesn't know is that I just won Lotto and great as 66 is we will have a true weapon to beat the shit out of him.  Shhhhhh.

Maybe I should up the bet. 

Image result for bundaberg rum

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mad said:

He’s got LB on as crew boss and coach, with Jack as the Nav/rules guy.........boat yet to be announced, though rumours are it maybe a foiling 50. 

So has hoppy taken his land rights for gay whales to fund raise forcthis new Boat ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MakeOracleGreatAgain said:

Can you please stop trying to push your stupid joke. It is fucking painful.

Image result for baby crying

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

35 boats already entered for Hobart according to the website...  not bad for the few days of being open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mad said:

Image result for bundaberg rum

 

tenor.gif?itemid=8111515

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, hoppy said:

tenor.gif?itemid=8111515

Coming from a self professed VB drinker..............................:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mad said:

Coming from a self professed VB drinker..............................:lol:

Bundy is horrid. The worst thing is the morning after taste.

I had a bottle of Bundy OP onboard in Greece. It was one tough sail on the morning after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Bundy is horrid. The worst thing is the morning after taste.

I had a bottle of Bundy OP onboard in Greece. It was one tough sail on the morning after.

Not exactly one of Australia’s finest exports..... unless you’re looking to poison someone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mad said:

Not exactly one of Australia’s finest exports..... unless you’re looking to poison someone. 

Mad not really a wholey owned export though. You Brits (Diageo) have owned Bundy Rum for the last 20 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Mad not really a wholey owned export though. You Brits (Diageo) have owned Bundy Rum for the last 20 years.

Well that’s just living proof that some dickheads will buy anything without tasting it. :P

Fucking vile stuff!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, mad said:

Well that’s just living proof that some dickheads will buy anything without tasting it. :P

Fucking vile stuff!! 

Pretty much in line with everything else the Soap Dodgers eat and drink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DtM said:

What Hoppy doesn't know is that I just won Lotto and great as 66 is we will have a true weapon to beat the shit out of him.  Shhhhhh.

Maybe I should up the bet. 

I sold 66... I now own XL2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PIL66 said:

I sold 66... I now own XL2

Congrats. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Wow I didn't know Japanese subs operated that far south and in Bass Strait in WWII. Lucky the first S2H was a couple of months after the war ended. Maybe not a sub but a Sunfish??

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-23/ss-iron-crown-wwii-freighter-shipwreck-found-off-victorian-coast/11037402

The Maritime archaeologist at Heritage Victoria - Peter Harvey - is an old school/Uni mate of mine...we caught up for a beer at this year's FOS at Geelong where we were talking about the number of japanese submarines & German raiders operating in Bass Straight in WW2. There were mines being laid everywhere!! Wilsons Prom was covered in them...and as the article quotes...most people didn't find out about it until after the war.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if you launch a drone and crash it or lose it are you DSQ for pollution with plastics?

Just saying.

No doubt the Entry will require all drone footage to vest in the OA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And don't stream the Gopro footage your sinking or death live without prior approval.

What a fucking joke.

All about getting media you don't have to pay for.

And how is the entry fee!

$2350 for me ($4.00 a mile almost)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Couta said:

The Maritime archaeologist at Heritage Victoria - Peter Harvey - is an old school/Uni mate of mine...we caught up for a beer at this year's FOS at Geelong where we were talking about the number of japanese submarines & German raiders operating in Bass Straight in WW2. There were mines being laid everywhere!! Wilsons Prom was covered in them...and as the article quotes...most people didn't find out about it until after the war.

Ah.. Cambridge and City of Rayville were both sunk early in the War (1940) by mines in Bass Strait.

City of Rayville was the first American ship sunk in WW2, and quite well known. So I suspect that people had some idea that there were mines laid by the Germans...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting enough ”front page” article written by “anarchist David” on the use of, compliance with rules and ethics etc of drone use in boat racing. 

David, small point, I know, but may I put it to you that there’s a pretty good chance that a drone operator may, in fact,  buy several batteries to avoid flytime downtime while waiting for a battery recharge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, LionIsland said:

Interesting enough ”front page” article written by “anarchist David” on the use of, compliance with rules and ethics etc of drone use in boat racing. 

David, small point, I know, but may I put it to you that there’s a pretty good chance that a drone operator may, in fact,  buy several batteries to avoid flytime downtime while waiting for a battery recharge. 

He also forgets that the drones will be subject to CASA rules. He also forgets or doesn't understand that the average drones have camera's with a very wide FOV. As for the tack/sails etc. I'm sure that can be figured out with a good set of binoculars.

I suspect that the updates to the SI's for drones will be about taking a leaf out of the VOR book and having a OBR on some maxis. About time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 15.7. A boat may during its race use a drone flown from and recovered by the boat in accordance with the Sailing Instructions.

Drones with IR cameras to figure out where the other guy is at night

Sneak up on the other guy's drone and give them a little flick with your drone?

Drop a piece of dyneema fishing line into their propellers from above?

Jam the other guy's drone signal; thus everybody has to go to ultra thin control wires like an anti tank missile uses?

Well-armed drones - it's the future of sailing!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hoppy said:

He also forgets that the drones will be subject to CASA rules. He also forget..

You forget you have watched his drone footage :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So will you get a "drone factor" on your IRC ct.

Launch a big drone from the foredeck of a 100 FOOTER.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, lydia said:

So will you get a "drone factor" on your IRC ct.

Launch a big drone from the foredeck of a 100 FOOTER.

Store your  very large ,very heavy  drone down low , and  when the wind turns light and you no longer need the righting moment , send  your ballast? err I mean Drone /helicopter off for a fly .

Now what would MR do??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heck, big shame if your heavy drone runs out of power and sinks in light wind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

Store your  very large ,very heavy  drone down low , and  when the wind turns light and you no longer need the righting moment , send  your ballast? err I mean Drone /helicopter off for a fly .

Now what would MR do??

Say the cat ate the declaration maybe!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

You forget you have watched his drone footage :-)

but I have watched my own...

tumblr_nbsys5mCka1qfrdcro5_1280.jpg

 

tumblr_nbsys5mCka1qfrdcro10_1280.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, hoppy said:

He also forgets that the drones will be subject to CASA rules.

Not sure what current Casa rules one breaks offshore unless flying over or near a competitor’s boat. 

But it’d be really really crappo to get it tangled up with a chopper or plane or a military fighter doing a low pass at Mach 3 which they often do around here. Not much warning with those things  

Mind you, even flying from one’s own boat (unless solo) you’d probably be breaking “flying close to people” rules.

Gawd knows they’re hard to launch and retrieve from boats at sea and if you’re crew member gets whacked on the head with one they’d know about it (or maybe not).

Bloody amazing tech. What about the footage from them in the last Volvo!

All sorts of uses. Possibly useful for MOB safety. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zonker said:

Heck, big shame if your heavy drone runs out of power and sinks in light wind.

Like the discontinued GoPro ones. 

Fark!

“Hey! Lets make a drone like a mini Sherman Tank,”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LionIsland said:

Not sure what current Casa rules one breaks offshore unless flying over or near a competitor’s boat. 

But it’d be really really crappo to get it tangled up with a chopper or plane or a military fighter doing a low pass at Mach 3 which they often do around here. Not much warning with those things  

Mind you, even flying from one’s own boat (unless solo) you’d probably be breaking “flying close to people” rules.

Gawd knows they’re hard to launch and retrieve from boats at sea and if you’re crew member gets whacked on the head with one they’d know about it (or maybe not).

Bloody amazing tech. What about the footage from them in the last Volvo!

All sorts of uses. Possibly useful for MOB safety. 

There is still a height restriction and given that the media likes to fly out to film the boats, CASA will not be happy is anyone breaks those rules. Also there is a huge no fly zone off Nowra.  

 

 

IMG_6241.thumb.JPG.9cbe9dc7a0c2bb5ad692e29e89535ea3.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LionIsland said:

All sorts of uses. Possibly useful for MOB safety. 

I think I read that when Scally lost Fish the OBR sent up the drone just in case it could spot him. With standard drone cameras it's mostly luck to spot a MOB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the CASA rules for drones is that you cant fly over a sporting event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Zonker said:

 15.7. A boat may during its race use a drone flown from and recovered by the boat in accordance with the Sailing Instructions.

Drones with IR cameras to figure out where the other guy is at night

Sneak up on the other guy's drone and give them a little flick with your drone?

Drop a piece of dyneema fishing line into their propellers from above?

Jam the other guy's drone signal; thus everybody has to go to ultra thin control wires like an anti tank missile uses?

Well-armed drones - it's the future of sailing!

 

 

What about a few seriously long range drones fitted with wind instruments and current sensors, fanned out in front of the boat and sending back data about shifts?

Many will think the extra cost and complication is irrelevant, since the Hobart and Australian ocean racing in general is already sinking under the weight of its disregard for grass roots sailing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about finishing? If the drone is considered a legitimate piece of the boats equipment, operating in it's normal position ahead of the boat, can it be flown further ahead to cross the finish? :o:lol:

"Finish, A boat finishes when any part of her hull, or crew or equipment in normal position, crosses the finishing line from the course side"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Zonker said:

 15.7. A boat may during its race use a drone flown from and recovered by the boat in accordance with the Sailing Instructions.

Drones with IR cameras to figure out where the other guy is at night

Sneak up on the other guy's drone and give them a little flick with your drone?

Drop a piece of dyneema fishing line into their propellers from above?

Jam the other guy's drone signal; thus everybody has to go to ultra thin control wires like an anti tank missile uses?

Well-armed drones - it's the future of sailing!

 

 

PRImages-DukeRobotics-InvestURL-1900x120

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drones are the new black it seems as Richo has convinced the world that micro waves fry everything electronic. If you see a TV van in your street in the morning, catch the bus to work, your car won't start.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2019 at 4:22 PM, jack_sparrow said:

Wow I didn't know Japanese subs operated that far south and in Bass Strait in WWII. Lucky the first S2H was a couple of months after the war ended. Maybe not a sub but a Sunfish??

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-23/ss-iron-crown-wwii-freighter-shipwreck-found-off-victorian-coast/11037402

Jap Sub I25 launched a reconnaissance plane to Hobart from behind Freycinet. https://www.ozatwar.com/japrecce/recce05.htm

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They were close to the end of the war. Would have thought they had more pressing problems back home. Maybe result of some arrangement to help their far flung Axis buddy out on disrupting the Aust/US supply chain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

@duncan (the other one) all but Victoria and Tasmania I was aware of. No idea about those two.

https://www.ozatwar.com/japrecce/japrecce.htm

Imagine if the people of Melbourne and Hobart found out about that then. Their options to run, not be occupied were pretty slim. Antarctica?

Pretty sure I remember my grandpa saying that there were flights over Hobart and Melbourne during the war. He was involved in radio comms of some description. One of the many stories I'd love to have heard as an adult. He's long gone now, luckily we did manage to save a few of his stories on (now converted to digital) cassette! It was a different world WW11 and before!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bayboy said:

Any news on Comache, noticed Maserati has been entered....

My guess she won't be coming home from the Transpac and will be sold in the US if a deal not already close to complete. Maybe propagated by his appetite for racing to WOXI S2H 100' rules two years in a row has diminished his 100' appetite. Pil would know more than me though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

My guess she won't be coming home from the Transpac and will be sold in the US if a deal not already close to complete. Maybe propagated by his appetite for racing to WOXI S2H 100' rules two years in a row has diminished his 100' appetite. Pil would know more than me though.

Made Sandy an offer he can’t refuse maybe?

With BJ getting chopped certainly keep the 100’ race alive if C stays OS. 

Given JC’s seemingly bottomless pockets & his phobia of selling boats, he should race it overseas & collect some more trophies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Made Sandy an offer he can’t refuse maybe?

That guy is a cockwarbler and spending money never earned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2019 at 5:41 PM, jack_sparrow said:

My guess she won't be coming home from the Transpac and will be sold in the US if a deal not already close to complete. Maybe propagated by his appetite for racing to WOXI S2H 100' rules two years in a row has diminished his 100' appetite. Pil would know more than me though.

The big C will be there on boxing day AFAIK ......   No one has the inside scoop with Jim..... he can keep a secret even from the inner circle... unlike some

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has come up on the Gladstone thread but what is the longest it has taken anyone to get from Tasman to the Finish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was it Wayfarer in the first race? I think they were the boat that stopped off at Flinders to shoot rabbits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lydia said:

This has come up on the Gladstone thread but what is the longest it has taken anyone to get from Tasman to the Finish.

No idea of a record being kept, probably well over a day,  might even be a couple of days if it was quiet in the bay.

My personal best(?) is just over 6 hour from the John Garrow Light in Sandy Bay to the finish.  We past that bloody light 7 times,  the first one at over 6 knots, the rest much slower in either direction.  This was in a Maria Island Race back in the 80s.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recent winner would be Teasing Machine a few years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to drag the thread back to drones, but many years ago I was doing a spot of work in Whyalla - needed to hitch a ride back to Adelaide for the Lincoln race starting that evening.  I was lucky enough to get a ride in a Cessna, and as we flew across St Vincent Gulf it was obvious it was glass all over.  I mentioned to the pilot/owner what my interest was, and he was kind enough to fly to the south of the gulf so I could see what the wind was doing down there.

End result was that I stepped on board, advised the skipper what I had seen, and we hugged the eastern coast all the way until the bottom of the gulf, crossing where there was some wind. The rest of the fleet languished in the middle of the windless gulf 30 miles back, and we won by about a week!

Think about drone technology in this situation ... it will be like the tuna spotters!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2019 at 12:23 PM, Andrew Buckland said:

Jack, you got it.

But with rudder foils, so it actually gets some 95% to 100% separation.

Not aiming for height though, kinda skimming with (say) less than 1m height at vmax in flat water.

We neglected to send out rudder foil pics so attached is V1 pressure distribution and foil geometry.

Anyhow, all sensible ? answered here!

Cheers

AB

Rudder Tfoil.png

Bump, any news on the project? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leopard 3 sold to new owner. I wonder if she will come and do the 75th Hobart. 

Also any rumours of Rambler 88 coming out again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2019 at 10:03 PM, mad said:

Bump, any news on the project? 

Not happening for this year's Hobart. Looking at potentially at building a smaller one to test proof of concept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2019 at 1:29 PM, Sugarscoop said:

Also any rumours of Rambler 88 coming out again?

Crikey I known someone will be busy as bowman on a 100 aswell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2019 at 9:45 PM, hoppy said:

tenor.gif?itemid=8111515

Wow, that was me when I was 16. Didn't drink the stuff until I did a Coffs race about ten years later and you could only buy it in glasses or buckets! Don't remember much of that year either!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2019 at 11:29 AM, Sugarscoop said:

Leopard 3 sold to new owner. I wonder if she will come and do the 75th Hobart. 

Also any rumours of Rambler 88 coming out again?

Bit disappointing to see only 100 entries, expecedt 150 for this year but costs have a lot to do with it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bayboy said:

Bit disappointing to see only 100 entries, expecedt 150 for this year but costs have a lot to do with it...

still 162 days to the race and more than 3 months until entries close. Plenty of time for many more entries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, hoppy said:

still 162 days to the race and more than 3 months until entries close. Plenty of time for many more entries. 

and time for you to buy a boat. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bayboy said:

Bit disappointing to see only 100 entries, expecedt 150 for this year but costs have a lot to do with it...

 

2 hours ago, hoppy said:

still 162 days to the race and more than 3 months until entries close. Plenty of time for many more entries. 

 

Numbers seem on track.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

 

 

Numbers seem on track.

 

 

I'm sure if you went through the list of entries there will be a few obvious entries missing, WOIX and probably WOX for starters. So on track...

It will be interesting to see if R88 comes. With Scally doing Fastnet and the middle sea (I think) I would not be surprised if R88 hitches a ride on the ship.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, bayboy said:

Bit disappointing to see only 100 entries, expecedt 150 for this year but costs have a lot to do with it...

 

14 hours ago, hoppy said:

still 162 days to the race and more than 3 months until entries close. Plenty of time for many more entries. 

 

14 hours ago, mad said:

and time for you to buy a boat. :)

Mad,

To quote the castle “ Tell him he’s dreaming” hoppy will not have a big boat again until he grows a set.

 

pulpit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now