dachopper

Sydney to Hobart 2019

20 hours ago, DtM said:

Masserati having work done while under a tent alongside at Woolwich

16 hours ago, SCANAS said:

New Paint Job Pil?

Full birthday    .... new deck paint... keel and rudders out / checked..... new motor / shaft / prop / computer.... new mast / rigging

The boat is at that age and yes a charter for Hobart.... 

Will be ready for twilights...

Any fit types keen for multi yacht on Saturday (Cronulla to Burning Palms)... I may need an extra

1 hour ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Full birthday    .... new deck paint... keel and rudders out / checked..... new motor / shaft / prop / computer.... new mast / rigging

The boat is at that age and yes a charter for Hobart.... 

Will be ready for twilights...

Any fit types keen for multi yacht on Saturday (Cronulla to Burning Palms)... I may need an extra

Good info mate? Still called Maserati or name change? 

What happened to BJ70? Still at Rivergate or sold?

5 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

What time?

3 hours ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

BJ70 is now a Pyewacket.

Nice. It was probably the best optimised & maintained one in the world. 

So 100 days to go and 131 entries. What surprises me is the lack of the classic racers. Really only a few celebrating the occasion - Fidelis, Love and War, Mark Twain. Kialoa and Natelle are there but are regular/recent contestants. I was hoping a few more of the older big boats would be going to wind back the clock. I wonder why it hasn't caught the imagination like I thought it would? Stability? Cost? Motor power? Bow sprits?

Will I have to wait for the 100th to really see a celebration of the Hobart races over the years?

14 minutes ago, Jono said:

So 100 days to go and 131 entries. What surprises me is the lack of the classic racers. Really only a few celebrating the occasion - Fidelis, Love and War, Mark Twain. Kialoa and Natelle are there but are regular/recent contestants. I was hoping a few more of the older big boats would be going to wind back the clock. I wonder why it hasn't caught the imagination like I thought it would? Stability? Cost? Motor power? Bow sprits?

Will I have to wait for the 100th to really see a celebration of the Hobart races over the years?

Stability issues which equals cost unless you have a tame naval architect that will sign of  on anything.

Hardest issue for old boats especially after recent changes.

2 hours ago, lydia said:

Stability issues which equals cost unless you have a tame naval architect that will sign of  on anything.

Hardest issue for old boats especially after recent changes.

To add:

If a boat passed before it’s no guarantee it will again. The number to pass is higher, the process is different. If you want to appeal your hill file you  need a 3D Hull survey + naval architect STARTS at about $5000. Still no guarantee that it will be accepted. Then you have construction standards & mods to be signed off. Or survey for pre ABS. ORCI has plenty of hurdles. CYCA were positive & helpful. 

Must make some older, eligible boats, worth their additional lead weight in Gold I reckon :-) 

21 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

To add:

If a boat passed before it’s no guarantee it will again. The number to pass is higher, the process is different. If you want to appeal your hill file you  need a 3D Hull survey + naval architect STARTS at about $5000. Still no guarantee that it will be accepted. Then you have construction standards & mods to be signed off. Or survey for pre ABS. ORCI has plenty of hurdles. CYCA were positive & helpful. 

Must make some older, eligible boats, worth their additional lead weight in Gold I reckon :-) 

Having got a pre 1 December 1986 boat in to Hobart trim I can say it is expensive and a lot of work even before the recent changes

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, lydia said:

Having got a pre 1 December 1986 boat in to Hobart trim I can say it is expensive and a lot of work even before the recent changes

Unlock some equity & you can do it all again! Between 2014 and 2018, the median price in West Hobart went up by 75.1 per cent, followed by South Hobart (up 71.7 per cent) and Sandy Bay (up 66 per cent). 

You going to RQ tomorrow night?

1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

Unlock some equity & you can do it all again! Between 2014 and 2018, the median price in West Hobart went up by 75.1 per cent, followed by South Hobart (up 71.7 per cent) and Sandy Bay (up 66 per cent). 

Which recent changes are you referring to?

1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

Be in the south

25 minutes ago, Next Level said:

25 minutes ago, Next Level said:

Two changes one is the ground tackle safety gear removal but the tweak with that has meant many older boat that where 115 easy can’t reproduce those numbers now

one boat I know very well went from 118 to 112 after been 117 to 118 for almost 20 years through 4 complete inclination and freeboards 

the old numbers are not reproducing

8 minutes ago, lydia said:

Two changes one is the ground tackle safety gear removal but the tweak with that has meant many older boat that where 115 easy can’t reproduce those numbers now

one boat I know very well went from 118 to 112 after been 117 to 118 for almost 20 years through 4 complete inclination and freeboards 

the old numbers are not reproducing

Wow, ok that’s a significant change then. What sort of designs are you thinking of, when you say they are no longer making the numbers?

6 minutes ago, Next Level said:

Wow, ok that’s a significant change then. What sort of designs are you thinking of, when you say they are no longer making the numbers?

Older fast boats and some very new wide boat which are having trouble natching earlier numbers

not sure it is not just Australia as a pogo 1250 failed when measured here 

8 minutes ago, lydia said:

Older fast boats and some very new wide boat which are having trouble natching earlier numbers

Right, thanks for the info!

29 minutes ago, dachopper said:

My forecast,  nothing under 50 feet will beat Maverick.B)

Well considering 46 footers where beating 50 footers a few years back... Anything is possible if the conditions are right/wrong.

45 minutes ago, dachopper said:

My forecast,  nothing under 50 feet will beat Maverick.B)

which Maverick?

There are 2 entered ;) 

One thing for certain is that Maverick will beat Maverick..

2 hours ago, hoppy said:

which Maverick?

There are 2 entered ;) 

One thing for certain is that Maverick will beat Maverick..

the FOILING one :)

13 minutes ago, dachopper said:

the FOILING one :)

Theres a foiling one now? Man the Maverick with DSS is gonna be pissed they've been upstaged :lol:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lydia said:

SYD 39CR also failed.

10 hours ago, Next Level said:

ORCI can also change their allowances for values to whatever they think it should be.

As their hull file only uses what, 3 or 4 hours of measurements. No knowledge of where weight in the keel is etc they obviously can’t replicate the level of detail required to get accuracy so they look at their other designs & work it out with plenty of caution for them. 

To note an actual pull down to 115 with two cranes is also no guarantee of entry. It’s all about the ORCI spreadsheet! Which is why a boat like a POGO which has actually has 129 AVS Shaggy? Certified by some blokes who build a few offshore racing boats (POGO) isn’t accepted in lieu of ORCI stability. 

As before. This is no reflection on CYCA they just need to you to satisfy the entry which is fair. 

First of all, I’m very glad Phil and crew are all safe. I hope the Boat can be recovered and be sailing again soon. 

Now 

If we look on the bright side of this years Hobart, Phil and crew have shown the cyc that rescuing a crew from a multi is easier than a mono.

So Pass, first safety test complete for the multihull’s

So what safety test is next before the CYC let multi’s do the Hobart ?

Pulpit

11 hours ago, pulpit said:

Phil and crew have shown the cyc that rescuing a crew from a multi is easier than a mono.

:lol: Pulpit, do you work in political media?  That's terrific spin right there! Well done. :lol:

On 9/22/2019 at 6:53 AM, lydia said:

Did DTM going sailing with Pil

You all good guys?

Honest concern.

He did and we are fine.... not sure he ever will again..... 
Just hope these guys find my boat today

On 9/22/2019 at 8:13 PM, pulpit said:

First of all, I’m very glad Phil and crew are all safe. I hope the Boat can be recovered and be sailing again soon. 

Now 

If we look on the bright side of this years Hobart, Phil and crew have shown the cyc that rescuing a crew from a multi is easier than a mono.

So Pass, first safety test complete for the multihull’s

So what safety test is next before the CYC let multi’s do the Hobart ?

Pulpit

Very glad all are OK.

I think the naysayers at the CYCA would say that Pil has done a fine job of demonstrating why multis in S2H are a bad idea, sadly. The argument might go: "Yes it's easy to rescue crew from a multi, just as well cos it happens so much more often..."  It would also be an easy shot to point out that no boats from the concurrent Flinders Islet race required rescue.

BTW, I'm not sure it is inherent;y easier rescuing crew from a multi, especially if any are trapped under the boat tangled up in something (an unlikely scenario but it happened to Bart)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

He did and we are fine.... not sure he ever will again..... 
Just hope these guys find my boat today

Glad it worked out well for you & the crew,  what we were hearing over the radio didn't sound too promising there for  while.

Hope you get her back in reasonable shape & are out there annoying us mono sailors again soon.

• Like 1

All good.

And I would happily go out with Pil on a multihull (hopefully XL2) any time, if he would take me.

• Like 3

And he had the and most precisely timed port tack start of his career...at full noise...pushing it

put slingsby to shame he would..

We saw mid 30's briefly while we were rounding Flinders before it started easing away to nothing as the North south westerly came in for a bit. Seas weren't big but were fairly short and sharp, would have been challenging on a fast multi. Glad everyone is OK.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

BTW, I'm not sure it is inherent;y easier rescuing crew from a multi, especially if any are trapped under the boat tangled up in something (an unlikely scenario but it happened to Bart)

If the multi has turned turtle and everyone is ok, then a heli rescue will be much easier with a more steady wide platform and no rig than with a mono.

9 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

Very glad all are OK.

I think the naysayers at the CYCA would say that Pil has done a fine job of demonstrating why multis in S2H are a bad idea, sadly. The argument might go: "Yes it's easy to rescue crew from a multi, just as well cos it happens so much more often..."  It would also be an easy shot to point out that no boats from the concurrent Flinders Islet race required rescue.

On 9/23/2019 at 8:02 AM, Recidivist said:

:lol: Pulpit, do you work in political media?  That's terrific spin right there! Well done. :lol:

Dick, 

The chances of multi’s being able to sail the official Sydney to Hobart in the foreseeable future is non existence and it doesn’t matter what most people say to try to include them. The only way multi’s will race the official Hobart is if a major sponsor tells the CYC that they have to include them or all of the top players / power brokers buy a multihull to race for line honours. It’s just not going to happen. 

As far as the multihull owners are concerned, until they have owners saying they want to race more do a Hobart and have number to support their claim for inclusion in the Hobart the CYC will not include them. 

Rescuing crews from upturned multi’s ? Like all boats they have there issues and Bart’s death shows that even with the best support and rescue boats around that accidents can and do happen and people can be killed. RIP Bart.

Dick, I’m really glad that phil and his crew are all safe and I hope they can salvage the boat and it can sail again under Phil’s ownership. All I was doing was poking fun at the CYC 

If you read what Recidivist posted you can see I was just having a little fun at the CYC’s expense and not at phil or his crew. 

Pulpit

3 hours ago, pulpit said:

Dick, 

The chances of multi’s being able to sail the official Sydney to Hobart in the foreseeable future is non existence and it doesn’t matter what most people say to try to include them. The only way multi’s will race the official Hobart is if a major sponsor tells the CYC that they have to include them or all of the top players / power brokers buy a multihull to race for line honours. It’s just not going to happen. 

As far as the multihull owners are concerned, until they have owners saying they want to race more do a Hobart and have number to support their claim for inclusion in the Hobart the CYC will not include them. 

Rescuing crews from upturned multi’s ? Like all boats they have there issues and Bart’s death shows that even with the best support and rescue boats around that accidents can and do happen and people can be killed. RIP Bart.

Dick, I’m really glad that phil and his crew are all safe and I hope they can salvage the boat and it can sail again under Phil’s ownership. All I was doing was poking fun at the CYC 

If you read what Recidivist posted you can see I was just having a little fun at the CYC’s expense and not at phil or his crew. 

Pulpit

Wasn’t criticising. Just making the point that the multi-hater voices in the CYC will seize on  any opportunity. 

22 minutes ago, grs said:

My pleasure.

SH.png

Sweet. What’s next on the to do list? Organising a couple of IJ’s to determine which entrants should be excluded?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, grs said:

My pleasure.

SH.png

Glen, this playing silly games is becoming annoying.  dachopper is perfectly entitled to use any words he likes to head up his thread.  For you to purport to "correct" his wording is childish, stupid and adds nothing of value to the thread.  Are you just attention seeking?

Would you care instead to address the issue of the Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race being included as part of an inshore series, for SOME competitors only?  Perhaps you could explain how this enhances either the offshore race or the inshore series, and if that is so, why it was not done for all competitors?  

I think some posters may also have questions about differences in sail wardrobes and possibly rating certificates within one series.  Perhaps you could enlighten us as to where and when that concept has been used before, and how popular and successful it was.  Many of us would be gratified to know how much research AS put into something that seems to be unique in Australia.

Thanks.

So as most of us will not buy an irc certificate from AS they have to sell more than one to the last few buyers they have

26 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

Is it just me or does the fin/bulb look like it needs some TLC?

Looks like the whole bottom needs some work.

Looks like it was sanded back in Europe before a fresh coat in Aus.

Make sense really, if they had time in Europe before shipping, why not prepare the boat for AF, but you don't want to coat it before the trip. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Looks like it was sanded back in Europe before a fresh coat in Aus.

Make sense really, if they had time in Europe before shipping, why not prepare the boat for AF, but you don't want to coat it before the trip. 

That makes sense I guess!

1 minute ago, JonRowe said:

That makes sense I guess!

My AF was fucked after a couple of months onboard a ship. I learnt the hard way by not sanding it back and getting a fresh coat once landed.

They won’t deliver it to him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DtM said:

Have you chartered her Hoppy.

He only has $80,000 tops... might need Doug Lord to go halves.... called hoppy's fire arrow. .... Doug has time to add foils....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

He couldn't afford the antifoul.

I can afford the antifoul, just not the labour to apply it or the hardstand fees

2 hours ago, mad said:

They won’t deliver it to him. 

Too deep to fit in the marina and even the tower start  line. Every race would be DNS.

Scallywag draws nearly 8m now and there isn't anywhere in Sydney that can lift her with a straddle carrier. She's having keel work done at Woolwich "after hours" in the slings with a barge/work platform underneath.

Yachtworx Australia doing the work.

• Like 1

On0/Dogballs/2019 at 10:21 PM, The Dark Knight said:

Scally is in Sydney

72703910_2618871328178008_26894172999448

72760126_2618871401511334_54824630167567

3 hours ago, NZL3481 said:

Woof...

NZL,

The boats not a dog, it just needs a good crew and good  Sailing master running the show instead of the  big ego and the boat  would do a lot better.

Pulpit

• Like 1

15 hours ago, charisma94 said:

Scallywag draws nearly 8m now and there isn't anywhere in Sydney that can lift her with a straddle carrier. She's having keel work done at Woolwich "after hours" in the slings with a barge/work platform underneath.

8m... you sure..?

17 hours ago, charisma94 said:

8 meters! FMD that is half way to China. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

8m... you sure..?

Not sure of the exact draft... But I'm told by those who should know, that she can't be lifted in Sydney without a crane... YMMV

Been told 50K per crane lift as the mast has to come out, thats why Commanche gets lifted in Brissie as their travel hoist is wide enough

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

170 entries!!

So you're saying this is a good year to look for last minute rides? :lol::lol::lol:

1 hour ago, JonRowe said:

So you're saying this is a good year to look for last minute rides? :lol::lol::lol:

Hasn’t Smuggler just been upgraded? So there’s a spare 46’ lying around, entry fee paid and ready to #launchit ???

1 hour ago, JonRowe said:

I’m on station waiting for the final go / no go! 

58 minutes ago, Jason AUS said:

Hasn’t Smuggler just been upgraded? So there’s a spare 46’ lying around, entry fee paid and ready to #launchit ???

What’s the new smuggler?

it appears that celestial is now the old ambition??

5 minutes ago, Next Level said:

What’s the new smuggler?

it appears that celestial is now the old ambition??

Which makes the old Celestial the new...

Hint: you answered your own question.

There’s a shit tin of boat upgrading happening this year???

23 hours ago, charisma94 said:

The 2018 ORCi says that the draft is 6.511m

https://data.orc.org/public/WPub.dll/CC/108936.pdf

2 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

Already been moved!

On 10/24/2019 at 12:43 PM, pulpit said:

NZL,

The boats not a dog, it just needs a good crew and good  Sailing master running the show instead of the  big ego and the boat  would do a lot better.

Pulpit

I'll pay that...

14 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

Jaysus, that was quick! Who to?

Let's wait for the cheque to clear.

44 minutes ago, Jason AUS said:

It’s Hoppy, isn’t it?

Image result for donald duck laughing gif

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Al Paca said:

Any speculation on how Richo plans on cheating this year?

Al,

it will be a rule 69 for bad sportsmanship after someone messes up his hair just before a press conference as a grey hair will be found. 

Heven help his hair dresser, their will be hell to pay over this one. Lol

Pulpit

On 10/26/2019 at 8:27 PM, lydia said:

Harsh but true!

Well, he's not one of those slick super-villain guys so don't expect something elaborated or elegant. More the straight type... We alread had one obvious port/starboard and one ignoring of the SI's. So maybe an OCS this time and then rambling on camera that the bowsprit doesn't count? Fuck, he'd just be motoring up the dervent and hey, as long as nobody protests ...? 

You are not getting it

without those cheating p of s there would be no need for the jury in hobart

How about a separate start line for the cheats and witty

i would almost pay to watch that up close as long as there was an audio feed

9 hours ago, lydia said:

You are not getting it

Hang on Lydia, do not forget that the jury is only for sorting out the grubby messes that the proletariat cause themselves......

All "conflicts of interest" between the big end of town are sorted out with funny handshakes and the like.....;) Even a T-boning would be dismissed as mere Monty Pythonesque "scratch".

Though starting a book on Richo's next clanger to be immortalised on live broadcast audio/video could be very good sport!

(I believe the Palm Beach Owners Group are automatically struck from the bookies odds following the pineapple they served him after last years spray.)

• Like 1

Good to see all the normal Hobart race dodgy bullshit is in full swing

pick of the week is a boat a bit down on crew experience. Like nil trying get a few very experienced guys to agree to have their names put down on the crew lists but telling them you don’t have to sail just we need your  name on the list to get the entry through

apoarently the owners rep could not understand why they were called a cheat and told to fuck off

next weeks winner is also shaping up nicely from what I hear

On 10/27/2019 at 9:45 PM, lydia said:

You are not getting it

I thought judges will get dismissed from the jury if they actually judge? So no need for a jury, with or without him.