dachopper

Sydney to Hobart 2019

busted bulkhead at the chainplates looks like, luck not to lose the rig

39 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

First headache will be getting it back to Sydney from Newcastle.

Out the water there and straight to Maccas?

3 hours ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Straight into the Forgacs dockyard at Newcastle? The boat’s grey, like a navy ship...

3 hours ago, splash said:

I think they'll be wanting to do a pretty thorough engineering analysis of the damage and the surrounding structures before they lift that boat anywhere.

2 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

Straight into the Forgacs dockyard at Newcastle? The boat’s grey, like a navy ship...

The problem with getting her anywhere near a ship lift/travelift in Newcastle is how she draws.

There was a crane at the grain terminal lifting the rig out this morning. I think it would be safe to lift the boat from the water using slings, single point lift might need further inspection. 

6 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

What have the conditions for the race been? Running north in 20-30 and on the nose back in 20-25?

Yeah was it caused by slamming or something else? I thought they were going downwind at the time? But I'm not sure? 24 Hour shifts coming up at Macca's for the "A" Team..! 

12 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Yeah was it caused by slamming or something else? I thought they were going downwind at the time? But I'm not sure? 24 Hour shifts coming up at Macca's for the "A" Team..! 

Let’s hope the boys on the floor aint in the court room like the management 

7 hours ago, splash said:

Medium Quarter Pounder meal and a caramel sundae, thanks.

2 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Look at the start video from the CY’s FaceSpace page. Going out through the sound on starboard gybe they dragged the end of the boom in the water. Not for too long, but.... at speed.

Do that a couple of times in a nasty cross sea in 30 knots of air and at 25+ knots boatspeed, throw in a lay down or two and I can see that big ass rig wanting to go left while the hull and keel argue seriously to go right instead.

I think they’re lucky that the boom drag didn’t convince the gooseneck that it didn’t have to put up with this shit, and the spar didn’t exit the program altogether. That’s a goddamned long boom, loads of sail area and a (metric) shitload of twisting force.

• Like 2

From a mate on a retired boat. Asked him what happened.? 

"Fuck me just about everything..!!

Starboard  steering  wheel smashed , motor jumped off engine mounts , blow up a few jiibs and kites and the thing that finished us off was a big delamination in the bow , water was pissing into the bow , that was time to go home

Crazy crazy night of down wind sailing , completely sending it for 7 hours and then launching into big waves upwind until the bow failed

Hobart very doubtful at this stage.

Our damage is nothing compared to Wild Oats , they compressed the mast right through the hull , also doubtful for Hobart ..

Big night out , they probably should not have sent us,  gale force winds were a lot stronger than forecast .

Good fun !!

Very scary !!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

8 hours ago, splash said:

Mate,

Its not as easy as out of the water and straight to Maccas. 

To move over anything that big will take 7 days notice at best to the RTA and police for the first move as well as finding the truck to move it as well. I’m currently about to move a 60 foot fishing boat 4 kms and we can only move it on a Sunday because of its size and the regulations. 

Getting the boat Boat back to the water will be easier as you will have time to arrange the move. 

I would think that its its easier to move the boat from Newcastle than Sydney to Maccas. I’ve built a 47 foot boat in 16 weeks from start to finish to do the 50 Hobart as a new build. The problem is repairs can be far more intense than a new build. So it will be touch and go to make the starting line I think.

Pulpit

• Like 1

The Gooseneck on those boats is pretty good, single pin, so the boom pivots to where the load is, upwind obviously it is straight but downind it is angled between the leech of the main and the sheet so hitting the water is not as bad as if it were fixed

Sounds like there were plenty of boats and people that haven't sailed in windy conditions for a long time. How is the hobart going to go in 50knots from any direction... 

• Like 1

If WOXI don't make the Hobart race what will they have to focus on in the Broadcast, mabye a webcam of the rebuild or just repeat last years

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bill E Goat said:

If WOXI don't make the Hobart race what will they have to focus on in the Broadcast, mabye a webcam of the rebuild or just repeat last years

Be still all about the Oats no fear about that 

12 minutes ago, Bill E Goat said:

The CYCA will allow them to substitute in WOX to keep ch7 happy. 

CYCA announces new multihull division for Hobart with two competitor's, WOXII, recently chartered from a well known HK business man and Scallywag. Eligible for line honours trophy despite protest by leading super maxi owner. Multi hull division is not required to broadcast AIS. :lol:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

I think they'll be wanting to do a pretty thorough engineering analysis of the damage and the surrounding structures before they lift that boat anywhere.

5 hours ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

The problem with getting her anywhere near a ship lift/travelift in Newcastle is how she draws.

There was a crane at the grain terminal lifting the rig out this morning. I think it would be safe to lift the boat from the water using slings, single point lift might need further inspection. 

Maybe they will just lift out the rig and motor to Sydney to get her to Mcconaghy's in the shortest time? Assuming it's not likely to go all One Australia...

Untitled.jpg

Apart from the 15 or so boats that chose not to start at all, this is a disturbing list for the future of offshore sailing in Australia. Looking like a finishing list of about HALF the entry list. Six weeks out from Hobart and we see Six  (6) boats pulled the pin citing time contraints? Its a fucking ocean race FFS. Perhaps Time Constraints should be read as  'I was gonna get my arse handed to me on a plate so I have made a strategic withdrawal'? Sad.

BTW congrats to my 19 year old son and the rest of his crew who finished a bit over an hour ago, well done for toughing it out. Good to see a bit of ticker.

• Arch Rival - retired - medical incident
  • Carrera S - Retired - gear damage
  • Dreki Sunnan - retired - hull damage
  • Euphoria - Retired - time constraints
  • Great Xpectations - Retired - medical incident
  • Helsal 3 - Retired - steering damage
  • Imagination - Retired - gear failure
  • Infotrack - retired - gear damage
  • Insomnia - Retired - time constraints
  • King Billy - Retired - time constraints
  • Kioni - Retired - mainsail damage
  • Koa - Retired - hull damage
  • Minerva - Retired - battery charging issue
  • No Limit - Retired - sail damage
  • Pekljus - Retired - time constraints
  • Snowdome Occasional Coarse Language Too - Retired - time constraints
  • Spirit of Freya - Retired - time constraints
  • Sticky - Retired - sail damage
  • Wild Oats XI - Retired - structural Damage
  • Wings - Retired - steering damage
  • Zen - Retired- gear damage
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Apart from the 15 or so boats that chose not to start, this is a disturbing list for the future of offshore sailing in Australia. Looking like a finishing list of about HALF the entry list. Six weeks out from Hobart and we see Six  (6) boats pulled the pin citing time contraints? Its a fucking ocean race FFS. Perhaps Time Constraints should be read as  'I was gonna get my arse handed to me on a plate so I have made a strategic withdrawal'? Sad.

BTW congrats to my 19 year old son and the rest of his crew who finished a bit over an hour ago, well done for toughing it out. Good to see a bit of ticker.

I just read your post and "time constraints", I thought it must be Sunday night.  WTF

If it was a drifter with no wind forecast for the next 24 hours, then maybe retiring to a Saturday night session in a Newcastle pub could be a valid "time constraints" Saturday retirement.

Time constraints is a bullshit answer. Should read was going to be too windy and rough . I don't have a problem with that given the damage that was sustained to some of the boats. Best not going. Hobart Race would have been the same if conditions were the same, worse most likely with extended beating. Where is the phrase "Managed Boat" for not completing a race? You don't have to tough it out if you don't want IMO? Too many lives have been lost so if you think your boat and crew aren't up to it, "Managed Boat due to conditions" or something like that. This will be a cause for debate no doubt..

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Check out Maverick blasting through the fleet (will start at 2:24)

How did Gweilo get so far ahead of Maverick? Upwind obviously? Maverick were smoking. 

20 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Time constraints is a bullshit answer. Should read was going to be too windy and rough . I don't have a problem with that given the damage that was sustained to some of the boats. Best not going. Hobart Race would have been the same if conditions were the same, worse most likely with extended beating. Where is the phrase "Managed Boat" for not completing a race? You don't have to tough it out if you don't want IMO? Too many lives have been lost so if you think your boat and crew aren't up to it, "Managed Boat due to conditions" or something like that. This will be a cause for debate no doubt..

16 or so boats did make the choice not to start the race given the conditions. No problem with that, prudent seamanship or a recognition of crews / boats ability to handle what was pretty nasty at the time is commendable.

Not too windy and rough when most of the  so-called 'time constraints' boats pulled out - the back end of the race has been much lighter. No patience to hang in in those conditions? Time constraints x 6 = Bullshit and shows a lack of respect for fellow competitors and race management. 

16 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

What have the conditions for the race been? Running north in 20-30 and on the nose back in 20-25?

We saw solid 30's for a while around midnight. Peaks of high 30's. Calibration may vary, but a planing S&S suggests otherwise.

Very confused sea coming back off Stockton. Not surprised lots of damage.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

We saw solid 30's for a while around midnight. Peaks of high 30's. Calibration may vary, but a planing S&S suggests otherwise.

What the hell S&S did you make plane???

• Like 1

'Big night out , they probably should not have sent us,  gale force winds were a lot stronger than forecast '

RRS 4- Decision to race...

Respect to those who found it prudent to remain ashore. I'm sure a night on the piss (even at sydney prices) is probably still cheaper than some of the repair bills..

• Like 2

11 hours ago, terrafirma said:

From a mate on a retired boat. Asked him what happened.? 

"Fuck me just about everything..!!

Starboard  steering  wheel smashed , motor jumped off engine mounts , blow up a few jiibs and kites and the thing that finished us off was a big delamination in the bow , water was pissing into the bow , that was time to go home

Crazy crazy night of down wind sailing , completely sending it for 7 hours and then launching into big waves upwind until the bow failed

Hobart very doubtful at this stage.

Our damage is nothing compared to Wild Oats , they compressed the mast right through the hull , also doubtful for Hobart ..

Big night out , they probably should not have sent us,  gale force winds were a lot stronger than forecast .

Good fun !!

Very scary !!

This would have to be Koa

Sounds like this did a whole heap of people a big favour

and we are well due for one

• Like 2

Strut compressed side of mast.  Very hard reaching, they just did a sail change. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Barman said:

Strut compressed side of mast.  Very hard reaching, they just did a sail change. 

Makes sense. I’ve always worried about the pressure on the mast on a boat half the size! 

So then that’s a new mast before Hobart or re-jiggering the 2005 one to fit the boat? 

Assuming you can fix the structural problems... which from the photo looks like a sheared mast bulkhead...

Oatleys have plenty of money. They will be able to move the boat whenever they want

2 hours ago, monosailor said:

This would have to be Koa

Well...That's not a good list of things for a boat which is on the market. 

10 minutes ago, Rumpig said:

That is unbelievably bad. Wow. What the fuck, blow the kite halyard buddy. 

edit: based on the fact that the kite looked properly letterboxed before things went sideways looks like maybe a halyard lock malfunction. In which case seems like a case study on needing to keep up on your maintenance. 

couta, were you in charge of lock maintenance?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

That is unbelievably bad. Wow. What the fuck, blow the kite halyard buddy. 

edit: based on the fact that the kite looked properly letterboxed before things went sideways looks like maybe a halyard lock malfunction. In which case seems like a case study on needing to keep up on your maintenance. 

couta, were you in charge of lock maintenance?

That kite was properly under control before the gybe. Not coming down, but in control. Whoever called the gybe instead of heading up should be eased from the program.

Heating up may have caused the same result, but you have more runway to solve the problem. That gybe removed options A through Q and leaves you with R - Run Aground.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

16 or so boats did make the choice not to start the race given the conditions. No problem with that, prudent seamanship or a recognition of crews / boats ability to handle what was pretty nasty at the time is commendable.

Not too windy and rough when most of the  so-called 'time constraints' boats pulled out - the back end of the race has been much lighter. No patience to hang in in those conditions? Time constraints x 6 = Bullshit and shows a lack of respect for fellow competitors and race management. 

maybe there is a fixed withdrawal reason list to select from and as the boats had no breakages or injuries, "time constraints" was the only option to choose from when updating the boats status?

7 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

so more a sea state issue than the wind itself?

6 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

so more a sea state issue than the wind itself?

yup.

Sea was not big (limited fetch and time), but there was a large patch of wind against set on the upper third of the racetrack. Short and confused.  Easy to lose it going downwind, and messy punching back into it upwind.

No reason people should break boats,  but I'm not surprised there were a lot of crook people about.

I suspect the other part is a having it escalate in the middle of the night while you're whooping and hollering in 25+ downwind. Its not easy reducing sail in those conditions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jason AUS said:

That kite was properly under control before the gybe. Not coming down, but in control. Whoever called the gybe instead of heading up should be eased from the program.

Heating up may have caused the same result, but you have more runway to solve the problem. That gybe removed options A through Q and leaves you with R - Run Aground.

It’s a point when you are realise you are truly fucked when you are trying to get the spinnaker out of a tree! 

Top points to the bloke in that canoodling couple sitting on the rocks. I’d say by the way his arms are clamped down there is every chance his fly is undone..... And then someone turns up with a camera to film a fucking yacht! Tough break buddy. Hope they left you alone shortly after.

1 hour ago, duncan (the other one) said:

of course I exaggerate.. extended surfs at 2.5x hull speed

Yeah even that. I’ve heard of a 48 foot S&S ketch hitting 13 and change. Ive gotten an S&S 12M to hit 12 and change.... but you’re talking the 15+ territory

Was wild and woolly at the start and some big sw-w shifts caught a few out.  I would hate to know the loads on WOXI near south head with the kite up, wonder why they went for a kite and not a code.  Reefed main and jibtop reaching up the coast then poled it out and a fun run.  Bit of a confused seaway but hit 20.9 knots on one surf in about 32 knots of breeze.  Plenty of high teen surfing got there in 9 hours in 10th place but the seaway coming back was not fun and with it kicking into 30+ knots even less so.  Should have tacked inshore earlier but managed to tack on a layline to Newcastle, then the engine wasn't pumping water and batteries going down we decided that they wouldn't last the remaining 10+ hours it would take.  Was interesting WOXI had 2 cranes and the mast out by 11am in Newcastle.  Burger at the yacht club then train home with a few quiet travelers.

46 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

Yeah even that. I’ve heard of a 48 foot S&S ketch hitting 13 and change. Ive gotten an S&S 12M to hit 12 and change.... but you’re talking the 15+ territory

19.3 peak in that race. Lots of 14-15s.

SS34

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Apart from the 15 or so boats that chose not to start at all, this is a disturbing list for the future of offshore sailing in Australia. Looking like a finishing list of about HALF the entry list. Six weeks out from Hobart and we see Six  (6) boats pulled the pin citing time contraints? Its a fucking ocean race FFS. Perhaps Time Constraints should be read as  'I was gonna get my arse handed to me on a plate so I have made a strategic withdrawal'? Sad.

Well its was a WA boat they are quite used to those sort of conditions...

• Like 1

Matt Allen decided not to take Ichi Ban as it was entered in the race. I wonder what the reasons were? Having said that Gweilo had a very good race and made it there and back in great time. Well crewed boat too. Wild Oats is the big one, a lot of damage to deal with. Sucks huge amounts of time out of their preparation and gives an advantage to Comanche and Black Jack etc. So very interesting few weeks coming up for Oats as they assess the full extent of the damage?

43 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Matt Allen decided not to take Ichi Ban as it was entered in the race. I wonder what the reasons were? 

Didn’t want to get the shit bashed out of them and risk damage in an unimportant race?

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

Matt Allen decided not to take Ichi Ban as it was entered in the race. I wonder what the reasons were? Having said that Gweilo had a very good race and made it there and back in great time. Well crewed boat too. Wild Oats is the big one, a lot of damage to deal with. Sucks huge amounts of time out of their preparation and gives an advantage to Comanche and Black Jack etc. So very interesting few weeks coming up for Oats as they assess the full extent of the damage?

And the point of a qualifying race is again 

ffs

• Like 2

I wonder how long it will take the bookies to work out Wild oats may not be in the hobart.  Might be worth an each way bet on Jack and the Big Indian.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

I wonder how long it will take the bookies to work out Wild oats may not be in the hobart.  Might be worth an each way bet on Jack and the Big Indian.

I'm on it..! LOL  No odds out yet so let's wait and see? Unless Oats come out with a statement in the next few days saying they're out?

Oats has to be considered unlikely for Hobart - that's a lot of damage to fix.

It must have been frightening when everything went "BANG", loaded way the fuck up, big breeze and at night!  To keep that mortally wounded rig in the air, get the boat back to shore and no injuries is testament to the professionalism of the crew - well done guys.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, crafty_otter said:

Well its was a WA boat they are quite used to those sort of conditions...

They also know when to take the foot off the accelerator. Driving boats to destruction is poor seamanship. Finishing 11th over the line in that fleet with just 6 Corinthian sailors on board is pretty bloody impressive, well done Jaffa’s. 

That is harsher than me!

any results posted for the finishers

found them

6 hours ago, Rumpig said:

FE7F78F4-DF87-4BAE-8DA2-E64E3CDF78A7.jpeg

5B19AD14-3641-41E9-B777-E9D0B500EF10.jpeg

How are they going to blame the sunfish for this one!

Think you will find that most of the boats sighting "time constraints" would have been truer saying FRUSTRATION.

At the time they were dropping out we were taking 2 & a half hours to get up the harbour to the finish after spending about the same amount of time doing the last 2 miles into the harbour.  i.e. a couple of miles off the heads at 17.00 finish at 22dogballs!  

Frustration level at max there for a while before getting 15 - 20 dead on the nose for the last mile.

While I can understand getting sick of going no-where for 5 or 6 hours no- one could really have had time constraints as most of these boats would not finish a slow Cabbage Tree before Saturday midnight anyway and the breeze was always forecast to come back from the west about when it did.

As for Jaffa they came out of the clouds along the shore and left the rest of us still flapping around outside the heads,  we had up until then been in her 11th place but the wind dying and her getting smart on the coast pushed us back a couple,  still claiming first in the 3 bedroom division though!

Conditions before that had been a bit sporty 25 - 35 pretty consistently up and half way back saw a couple of 40s but just there and gone,  seas the usual messy stuff in Stockton Bight whenever there is a Southerly,  lumpy and allover the place but not worryingly big.  Worst was when the wind went away & the bloody seas didn't,  even in 5 or 6 knots there wasn't enough power in the rig to stop them shaking the bot to a standstill,  but then we are a heavy boat with an even heavier rig.

11 minutes ago, TUBBY said:

Think you will find that most of the boats sighting "time constraints" would have been truer saying FRUSTRATION.

At the time they were dropping out we were taking 2 & a half hours to get up the harbour to the finish after spending about the same amount of time doing the last 2 miles into the harbour.  i.e. a couple of miles off the heads at 17.00 finish at 22dogballs!  

Frustration level at max there for a while before getting 15 - 20 dead on the nose for the last mile.

While I can understand getting sick of going no-where for 5 or 6 hours no- one could really have had time constraints as most of these boats would not finish a slow Cabbage Tree before Saturday midnight anyway and the breeze was always forecast to come back from the west about when it did.

As for Jaffa they came out of the clouds along the shore and left the rest of us still flapping around outside the heads,  we had up until then been in her 11th place but the wind dying and her getting smart on the coast pushed us back a couple,  still claiming first in the 3 bedroom division though!

Conditions before that had been a bit sporty 25 - 35 pretty consistently up and half way back saw a couple of 40s but just there and gone,  seas the usual messy stuff in Stockton Bight whenever there is a Southerly,  lumpy and allover the place but not worryingly big.  Worst was when the wind went away & the bloody seas didn't,  even in 5 or 6 knots there wasn't enough power in the rig to stop them shaking the bot to a standstill,  but then we are a heavy boat with an even heavier rig.

As a qualifier for the Hobart it seems only right that the race should serve up a Derwent- like finish. Don’t see too many pull out of that race in the Derwent.

• Like 1

Can't argue with that!

Just that it seems this year only the big boat owners are paying their wind bills,  the fast boats finishing just as the breeze shuts down (or swings on the nose) has been a bit regular to be fun this year.

Maybe this will be the good old fashioned Hobart hard on the nose for two days from  about 22.00 on boxing day swinging through the east to a quicker run to the finish for us slower boats.

48 minutes ago, TUBBY said:

Can't argue with that!

Just that it seems this year only the big boat owners are paying their wind bills,  the fast boats finishing just as the breeze shuts down (or swings on the nose) has been a bit regular to be fun this year.

Maybe this will be the good old fashioned Hobart hard on the nose for two days from  about 22.00 on boxing day swinging through the east to a quicker run to the finish for us slower boats.

Moving all the shorter 90 miler starts to Saturday morning has compounded this problem.

Big guys never see the evening shut down.

53 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

Moving all the shorter 90 miler starts to Saturday morning has compounded this problem.

Big guys never see the evening shut down.

+1000000

I can only think of 2 ‘40 and under that have actually won a BWPS race off the top of my head!

Deck is loaded to the 50’s

21 hours ago, terrafirma said:

How did Gweilo get so far ahead of Maverick? Upwind obviously? Maverick were smoking. 

blew the tack off the A3:(

On 11/9/2019 at 8:01 AM, Rushman said:

Anybody recognise where the break is from that photo?

Across the chain plates. Where the daggerboard cases used to be. Chances are the structural engineering or build quality in the most recent modifications  (daggerboards removed) went wrong. 

On 11/9/2019 at 11:44 AM, Sugarscoop said:

crane the rig out onto the deck and motor back to sydney. 

No chance. The hull almost folded in half by the look of things. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

We saw gusts over 40 on the way up. Plenty of sustained 30+. Ditto the confused sea on the way back but it moderated pretty quickly. 

13 hours ago, jackolantern said:

So then that’s a new mast before Hobart or re-jiggering the 2005 one to fit the boat? 

Assuming you can fix the structural problems... which from the photo looks like a sheared mast bulkhead...

I reckon they’ll need a whole new hull section. I very much doubt that can happen only the 6 weeks to Hobart. And not at all clear the base of the mast can be repaired At all.   The lead time for a new one would be over 6 months. 

Good opportunity to salvage all the sails, foils and technology and build a whole new design hull package.  If the rig is salvageable that will limit that option - it is sized to cope with a relatively low RM so won’t cope with a more powerful hull concept. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DickDastardly said:

I reckon they’ll need a whole new hull section. I very much doubt that can happen only the 6 weeks to Hobart. And not at all clear the base of the mast can be repaired At all.   The lead time for a new one would be over 6 months. 

Good opportunity to salvage all the sails, foils and technology and build a whole new design hull package.  If the rig is salvageable that will limit that option - it is sized to cope with a relatively low RM so won’t cope with a more powerful hull concept. 

I'm sure they'll chase a possible repair to the current boat for this years Hobart. If they can't make it they'll still repair the boat I think. Forensic examination will likely decide their fate if it hasn't been decided already? What's interesting is that Black Jack completed the course without incident? I think we know Comanche would have been OK just curious as to what Oats did wrong to cause the damage? A few $$$ questions to be answered and certainly a big moment as it opens up the Hobart as a likely 2 horse race? 

19 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

I'm sure they'll chase a possible repair to the current boat for this years Hobart. If they can't make it they'll still repair the boat I think. Forensic examination will likely decide their fate if it hasn't been decided already? What's interesting is that Black Jack completed the course without incident? I think we know Comanche would have been OK just curious as to what Oats did wrong to cause the damage? A few $$$ questions to be answered and certainly a big moment as it opens up the Hobart as a likely 2 horse race? 

the answer?

1 hour ago, DickDastardly said:

Across the chain plates. Where the daggerboard cases used to be. Chances are the structural engineering or build quality in the most recent modifications  (daggerboards removed) went wrong. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

True. Was gnarly, but not 'gnarly Hobart' gnarly. 

Indeed, long way from bad Hobart weather. The running was in pretty flat water most of the way north, epic fun. St Jude averaging high teens - topping out at 22.5 for a displacement boat was pretty sporty. First half of the way back was shitty but in the painful way rather than the too hard way. If you can't manage that weather don't go south.

The MOB should be a good wakeup to anyone snoozing on the front. About Time was quick to respond, MOB activated his AIS, we stood by with another just off nth head. Even still, traffic was full-on and we were worried he would get run down.

2 hours ago, hughw said:

blew the tack off the A3:(

correction-was the tack ring on the A3 that failed so Stu reckons they lost best part of an hour with that gone vmg running

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hughw said:

correction-was the tack ring on the A3 that failed so Stu reckons they lost best part of an hour with that gone vmg running

Blowing that A3 seems to be a bit of a consistent problem for Maverick. 

Guys,

The deck and ringframe issues on the woxi likely a byproduct of the mast compression failure..telescoped 1m below the deck.

Word is 2 weeks to fix the hull and Southern all over new 4m piece of mast and sleeve!

Back in water 1 December? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chimp too said:

Blowing that A3 seems to be a bit of a consistent problem for Maverick

They seemed to be in the low 20's for most of the race up!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

No chance. The hull almost folded in half by the look of things. 

That is what they are going to do. Boat is prepped waiting for the weather window 

13 hours ago, lydia said:

That is harsher than me!

any results posted for the finishers

found them

Link please.

On 11/9/2019 at 2:16 AM, Bill E Goat said:

Richo’s haircut.  

5 hours ago, Frogman56 said:

Word is 2 weeks to fix the hull and Southern all over new 4m piece of mast and sleeve!

Back in water 1 December? 

Doesn’t sound realistic to me. All high load areas and too risky to do a quick repair. 

• Like 1