dachopper

Sydney to Hobart 2019

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, theParadoxOfThrift said:

Spirit of Freya turned around and sailed 7 miles upwind to rendezvous with us on Koa and then stood by us for 22 miles back into Newcastle. 

Least they can do after naming their boat after your daughter!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, theParadoxOfThrift said:

 

Spirit of Freya turned around and sailed 7 miles upwind to rendezvous with us on Koa and then stood by us for 22 miles back into Newcastle. They only resumed racing after we had been met by Newcastle Marine Rescue. We cost them hours of time, but they were heroes for doing what they did. No other vessel responded to our request for assistance - presumably because they weren't monitoring VHF 16 at the time. They cited 'time constraints' because we cost them about 5-6 hours of time. We couldn't be more grateful for their assistance as we had no assurance with hull damage that we'd make it ashore. Sometimes there's more of a story behind 'time contraints' than first meets the eye.

That doesn't surprise me - Jo & the crew are good humans.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, theParadoxOfThrift said:

 

Spirit of Freya turned around and sailed 7 miles upwind to rendezvous with us on Koa and then stood by us for 22 miles back into Newcastle. They only resumed racing after we had been met by Newcastle Marine Rescue. We cost them hours of time, but they were heroes for doing what they did. No other vessel responded to our request for assistance - presumably because they weren't monitoring VHF 16 at the time. They cited 'time constraints' because we cost them about 5-6 hours of time. We couldn't be more grateful for their assistance as we had no assurance with hull damage that we'd make it ashore. Sometimes there's more of a story behind 'time contraints' than first meets the eye.

No, not heroes, just fucking good mates and proper seamen.  That's what you (should be able to) expect if you are in strife, and it's what you do if another boat is in strife and you are in a position to assist.  Kudos to them.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, lydia said:

How are they going to blame the splitter for this one!

FIFY.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

No, not heroes, just fucking good mates and proper seamen.  That's what you (should be able to) expect if you are in strife, and it's what you do if another boat is in strife and you are in a position to assist.  Kudos to them.

Great story..! It's all part of Seamanship. Kudos and let's let them know....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

That doesn't surprise me - Jo & the crew are good humans.

Agreed. Couldn't be more appreciative of Jo and her crew. I wish them well for the remainder of the Hobart campaign.

1 hour ago, SCARECROW said:

Least they can do after naming their boat after your daughter!

This is true - my daughter is called Freya.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

more on oats - not sure if this has been posted elsewhere

https://www.sail-world.com/news/223945/Shredded-Cabbage

From the article, pretty much explains it all and it sounds like they are racing to Hobart no doubt..! BJ happy with their boat speed too..!

Yet it was Wild Oats XI with the greatest calamity, as they nearly blew the rig out of boat. She subsequently pulled into Newcastle. A tremendous amount of seamanship, and a nice dose of luck has allowed them all to walk away unscathed, and with damage that can be repaired, as opposed to fatal.

Now the team have an old stick at the dock at Woolwich, but the word is they may try to cut and shut a new section into the bottom where at least 5m compressed and 'went bang', according to those on board. Section failure appears to be the cause.

They were lit up with the R2 hoisted when it twisted, and it has cracked the deck as well. 'Miracle we do not loose rig' was another statement from on board.

The incident happened at 2030hrs Friday night, off the coast of about Terrigal (pretty place BTW). Iain Murray commented once back in Sydney, "We got off as lightly as we could really. These boats carry enormous loads, so when you get a failure in that sort of situation, everything goes out of alignment. The deck was asked to carry a load not normally requested of it."

"The boat's all packed up, the mast is down and on the deck, and she'll motor back to Woolwich, where the process will start. We will repair the mast we have, and McConaghy's will rebuild the deck and other affected areas. Thankfully there as no major sail damage, and we had our old mainsail on. So yes, we got off remarkably lightly, compared to what could have been", said Murray reflecting on keeping the rig up, not over side, creating holes in the boat and so forth.

There was over 30 knots of breeze at the time, and they did see 40 on approach to Newcastle, which they elected to head to, as it was downhill. "We had 32 knots of boat speed when it happened, reaching away with headsails. We had a kite up for the start, but there was too much West in it once outside, so we went to the double headsail sail plan to be able to hold course."

"We had to keep it on port, as the rig was hanging out to leeward, so even with three reefs we were still doing 15 knots. Certainly the experience of the crew to deal with it really well shone through. Everyone did their job, got the sails down pronto, and so the fact that we saved the rig is remarkable. Dealing with the situation swiftly and accurately has left us with a small problem, not a huge one."

"Honestly, we are lucky it happened in this race, to expose the problem, as we have time to sort it out. The good news is that Wild Oats Xi was going like a scolded cat before it happened." That of course is pretty important when you are chasing your tenth Line Honours victory in the impending Sydney Hobart race. Murray added, "This latest round of upgrades is working (return of the for'ard canard and extra weight out of the boat as well). We have seen this movie before. We'll be on the start line and all strong."

Apart from McConaghy going to work on her structural issues, Southern Spars will have to make another, totally bespoke bottom section, and I dare say sleeve, as these parts have been replaced before.

"It is all done and dusted, and best of all we have qualified for the 75th Sydney to Hobart Race. It is difficult to keep on these boats on the water, and we had just done a few weeks together after putting it her back together after he last birthday. Maybe this helped us", said Black Jack's Skipper, Mark Bradford.

"It was nice when everyone left us, and we could just get on with completing the race. We saw 34-knot gusts as the maximum, and it was ranging between 24-34 the whole time. We started in the new Southerly, and ripped out the Harbour, with all three of us (Black Jack, Wild Oats XI, and InfoTrack) really sprinting. Then the others all fell down around us, and thankfully we have come away all unscathed."

 

"We have improved and achieved a top boat speed of 28 knots. We could not go with Wild Oats XI in those conditions before, but now we have had a couple of hours directly boat on boat with them, and good ideas have come from that. Interestingly, the configurations have all changed for both of us, and the boats are similar. We hope they get back on water, as there is a lot of good sailing ahead of us."

Comanche was not out, and not a lot has been heard after two new kites were blown out in this year's Transpac. It was widely known that Jim Cooney was keen to sell, but the recent holding pattern, and radio silence with crew slated for the impending 75th Hobart, would tend to indicate that this campaign is not a true flyer. Tick Tock. Tick Tock... Two Americans, and one Russian have been linked to the purchase, with the latter 'story' all set to go down after the Hobart. We will see.

 

 
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

From the article, pretty much explains it all and it sounds like they are racing to Hobart no doubt..! BJ happy with their boat speed too..!

Yet it was Wild Oats XI with the greatest calamity, as they nearly blew the rig out of boat. She subsequently pulled into Newcastle. A tremendous amount of seamanship, and a nice dose of luck has allowed them all to walk away unscathed, and with damage that can be repaired, as opposed to fatal.

Now the team have an old stick at the dock at Woolwich, but the word is they may try to cut and shut a new section into the bottom where at least 5m compressed and 'went bang', according to those on board. Section failure appears to be the cause.

They were lit up with the R2 hoisted when it twisted, and it has cracked the deck as well. 'Miracle we do not loose rig' was another statement from on board.

The incident happened at 2030hrs Friday night, off the coast of about Terrigal (pretty place BTW). Iain Murray commented once back in Sydney, "We got off as lightly as we could really. These boats carry enormous loads, so when you get a failure in that sort of situation, everything goes out of alignment. The deck was asked to carry a load not normally requested of it."

"The boat's all packed up, the mast is down and on the deck, and she'll motor back to Woolwich, where the process will start. We will repair the mast we have, and McConaghy's will rebuild the deck and other affected areas. Thankfully there as no major sail damage, and we had our old mainsail on. So yes, we got off remarkably lightly, compared to what could have been", said Murray reflecting on keeping the rig up, not over side, creating holes in the boat and so forth.

There was over 30 knots of breeze at the time, and they did see 40 on approach to Newcastle, which they elected to head to, as it was downhill. "We had 32 knots of boat speed when it happened, reaching away with headsails. We had a kite up for the start, but there was too much West in it once outside, so we went to the double headsail sail plan to be able to hold course."

"We had to keep it on port, as the rig was hanging out to leeward, so even with three reefs we were still doing 15 knots. Certainly the experience of the crew to deal with it really well shone through. Everyone did their job, got the sails down pronto, and so the fact that we saved the rig is remarkable. Dealing with the situation swiftly and accurately has left us with a small problem, not a huge one."

"Honestly, we are lucky it happened in this race, to expose the problem, as we have time to sort it out. The good news is that Wild Oats Xi was going like a scolded cat before it happened." That of course is pretty important when you are chasing your tenth Line Honours victory in the impending Sydney Hobart race. Murray added, "This latest round of upgrades is working (return of the for'ard canard and extra weight out of the boat as well). We have seen this movie before. We'll be on the start line and all strong."

Apart from McConaghy going to work on her structural issues, Southern Spars will have to make another, totally bespoke bottom section, and I dare say sleeve, as these parts have been replaced before.

"It is all done and dusted, and best of all we have qualified for the 75th Sydney to Hobart Race. It is difficult to keep on these boats on the water, and we had just done a few weeks together after putting it her back together after he last birthday. Maybe this helped us", said Black Jack's Skipper, Mark Bradford.

"It was nice when everyone left us, and we could just get on with completing the race. We saw 34-knot gusts as the maximum, and it was ranging between 24-34 the whole time. We started in the new Southerly, and ripped out the Harbour, with all three of us (Black Jack, Wild Oats XI, and InfoTrack) really sprinting. Then the others all fell down around us, and thankfully we have come away all unscathed."

 

"We have improved and achieved a top boat speed of 28 knots. We could not go with Wild Oats XI in those conditions before, but now we have had a couple of hours directly boat on boat with them, and good ideas have come from that. Interestingly, the configurations have all changed for both of us, and the boats are similar. We hope they get back on water, as there is a lot of good sailing ahead of us."

Comanche was not out, and not a lot has been heard after two new kites were blown out in this year's Transpac. It was widely known that Jim Cooney was keen to sell, but the recent holding pattern, and radio silence with crew slated for the impending 75th Hobart, would tend to indicate that this campaign is not a true flyer. Tick Tock. Tick Tock... Two Americans, and one Russian have been linked to the purchase, with the latter 'story' all set to go down after the Hobart. We will see.

 

 

Two things here... Not mentioned was that Oats was smoking BJ at the time..

Also how do these people know Jim is selling Comanche ....?  
Not saying it would surprise me but how would anyone know.... Jim is a very private person that sure as shit doesn't talk out of school... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Two things here... Not mentioned was that Oats was smoking BJ at the time..

Also how do these people know Jim is selling Comanche ....?  
Not saying it would surprise me but how would anyone know.... Jim is a very private person that sure as shit doesn't talk out of school... 

Yeah interesting as Bradford is saying they were boat for boating them? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, theParadoxOfThrift said:

Agreed. Couldn't be more appreciative of Jo and her crew. I wish them well for the remainder of the Hobart campaign.

This is true - my daughter is called Freya.

Koa?

 

Sorry we couldn't hear you clearly after we contacted on the 'all ships'. Good to hear you got back in safely

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, theParadoxOfThrift said:

 

Spirit of Freya turned around and sailed 7 miles upwind to rendezvous with us on Koa and then stood by us for 22 miles back into Newcastle. They only resumed racing after we had been met by Newcastle Marine Rescue. We cost them hours of time, but they were heroes for doing what they did. No other vessel responded to our request for assistance - presumably because they weren't monitoring VHF 16 at the time. They cited 'time constraints' because we cost them about 5-6 hours of time. We couldn't be more grateful for their assistance as we had no assurance with hull damage that we'd make it ashore. Sometimes there's more of a story behind 'time contraints' than first meets the eye.

Mate,

 

I wouldn't be too harsh on other boats. We heard your call (barely), then made contact. But your signal was marginal and we couldn't understand you. Freya was loud and clear for us (but presumably 7nm closer to us)

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Yeah interesting as Bradford is saying they were boat for boating them? 

I guess we'll all find out, Boxing Day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2019 at 9:12 AM, Rumpig said:

 

5B19AD14-3641-41E9-B777-E9D0B500EF10.jpeg

Looks like the Cuben Fibre sock around the mast base saved the rig! Great stuff that :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jethrow said:

Looks like the Cuben Fibre sock around the mast base saved the rig! Great stuff that :D

Super strong obviously. Worth it's weight in gold. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, terrafirma said:

I think everyone is underestimating the Oats team. They will no doubt be all over it.

Not suggesting otherwise. These guys are not going to compromise anything for the sake of hitting the start with a boat that is not 100%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, OW1981 said:

Why rush it though? Its not like they have a spare 66 footer sitting around doing nothing... oh wait...

Tuck the big boat into bed in the shed and figure out what went wrong and do a proper fix without a deadline. Fill the 66" full of piss and mates and go for a blast instead.

The egos will never let them do that, its line honours or nothing for them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chimp too said:

Not suggesting otherwise. These guys are not going to compromise anything for the sake of hitting the start with a boat that is not 100%

Well you have get on the start line too cheat don’t you

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting how nearly all the chat here is about the boats that didn’t finish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Interesting how nearly all the chat here is about the boats that didn’t finish. 

Really? Well Oats is big news however I have mentioned that BJ completed the course without incident and how well Gweilo did. There has been dialogue on both. Also Bradford saying they were with Oats downwind and boat for boating them. So not sure what point you are trying to make but make it by saying it rather than using an open ended statement? Just sayin...:mellow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

 I wouldn't be too harsh on other boats. We heard your call (barely), then made contact. But your signal was marginal and we couldn't understand you. Freya was loud and clear for us (but presumably 7nm closer to us)

Thanks Duncan. I'm genuinely grateful. Totally understand if the transmissions sounded like a fart machine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Yeah interesting as Bradford is saying they were boat for boating them? 

I had a play with the tracker and got these results,

30mins BJ -0.6Nm @ 23kts / WO 28kts

40mins BJ -0.3Nm @ 22kts / WO 23kts

50mins BJ -0.7Nm @ 25kts / WO 29kts

60mins BJ -1.2Nm @ 25kts / WO 21kts

70mins BJ +0.1Nm @ 22kts / WO 15kts

They were close, then WO had a burst of speed and broke...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Checked said:

I had a play with the tracker and got these results,

30mins BJ -0.6Nm @ 23kts / WO 28kts

40mins BJ -0.3Nm @ 22kts / WO 23kts

50mins BJ -0.7Nm @ 25kts / WO 29kts

60mins BJ -1.2Nm @ 25kts / WO 21kts

70mins BJ +0.1Nm @ 22kts / WO 15kts

They were close, then WO had a burst of speed and broke...

 

Interesting numbers, not sure if we are talking about pure boat speed or other factors.? Not sure that Bradford has a motive to talk up BJ ? Don't see what he has to gain? He did say they learned some things but didn't mention what? No doubt some trim and sail setup things? Also BJ were seen with struts  but this topic hasn't been discussed? Still early days and now with Oats under repair the build up and anticipation for the Hobart builds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Interesting how nearly all the chat here is about the boats that didn’t finish. 

and some that didn't start.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Interesting how nearly all the chat here is about the boats that didn’t finish. 

Sporty it is the new ocean racing old timer

i am faster because my wet weather gear is newer and yours is so last season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Latest from the Oats Camp..

A lightning fast and very professional response by the highly experienced crew aboard the supermaxi Wild Oats XI when its mast failed at the weekend saved the yacht from the likelihood of considerably more damage.The 30-metre long sloop, which is recognised as the most successful yacht in the 75-year history of Rolex Sydney Hobart race, went close to being dismasted while leading the fleet in the 180-nautical mile Cabbage Tree Island race out of Sydney on Friday night. The yacht was two hours into the race when a solid splintering sound signalled that the 45-metre high carbon fibre mast had fractured at deck level. The mast then tilted at an alarming angle and threatened to crash over the side.Only an immediate and well calculated reaction by the 20-man crew – led by skipper Mark Richards –  kept the gyrating mast aloft.

Had it crashed into the water Wild Oats XI would probably have suffered significant hull-damage and not been able to start in the Hobart race on December 26. As it turned out, there was only minor damage to the deck.“The reaction by the crew to this emergency was exceptional,” said Sandy Oatley, whose family owns the yacht. “The sails were lowered as quickly as possible and the hull was heeled to leeward to steady the mast and minimise the risk of further damage.”

The supermaxi made its way into Newcastle so the fractured mast could be lifted out by a crane then lashed to the deck. Wild Oats XI was then motored 60nm south, back to its home base in Sydney.Technicians from the yacht’s builders, McConaghy Boats, and the mast makers, inspected the damage yesterday and confirmed it could be repaired in time for the Hobart race start. However, a question mark remains over the yacht’s high-tech carbon fibre rigging.

That rigging, measuring more than 100 metres, was scheduled to be airfreighted from Sydney to its manufacturer in Spain today so it could be x-rayed and checked for flaws. Any damaged rigging would be replaced.“This was the only way we could ensure none of the rigging was damaged,” Sandy Oatley explained. “Obviously there is an element of risk associated with sending it to Spain, especially when it comes to transport delays, but it’s a gamble we had to take.”

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Really? Well Oats is big news however I have mentioned that BJ completed the course without incident and how well Gweilo did. There has been dialogue on both. Also Bradford saying they were with Oats downwind and boat for boating them. So not sure what point you are trying to make but make it by saying it rather than using an open ended statement? Just sayin...:mellow:

I don’t worship at the Altar of Oats like so many here. Reading Sandys statement about how professional they were in saving the boat completely ignored the elephant in the room, that being that those same professional sailors broke the boat by driving it too hard for the conditions. Others had the presence of mind, skills and experience to back off, properly manage their boats and finished the race. Pedal to the metal is not always the fastest way

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

I don’t worship at the Altar of Oats like so many here. Reading Sandys statement about how professional they were in saving the boat completely ignored the elephant in the room, that being that those same professional sailors broke the boat by driving it too hard for the conditions. Others had the presence of mind, skills and experience to back off, properly manage their boats and finished the race. 

To be fair C, the few who made the decisions on Oats about sail plan and how hard to push, are probably not the ones who had to douse the sails and try to keep the rig pointing to the sky.  

I've certainly been critical of the "brains trust" on WOXI over the years, but I take my hat off to the professionalism of the team - both sailing and shore team.  If they seriously removed the rigging, packed it up and got it on a plane to Spain today, they are nothing short of miracle workers.  There would have been some long hours put in since the Big Bang!

But, yes - to finish first, first you have to finish.  Well done to the guys and gals who made it all the way - when the going gets tough, the tough get going!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would this Oats conversation be more suited in "Fix It Anarchy" .............. just saying :ph34r:

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

I don’t worship at the Altar of Oats like so many here. Reading Sandys statement about how professional they were in saving the boat completely ignored the elephant in the room, that being that those same professional sailors broke the boat by driving it too hard for the conditions. Others had the presence of mind, skills and experience to back off, properly manage their boats and finished the race. Pedal to the metal is not always the fastest way

Yes is sounds like they were hell bent on beating BJ and the fact that BJ made it around the track without incident speaks volumes. Iain Murray saying in a way the damage caused to Oats now is a godsend as they wouldn't won't that in a Hobart. Anyway we know Ricco pushes the boat hard and will continue to do so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d love to be the bloke accompanying the rigging to Spain.... flying air freight, with instructions to not let any piece of your sight until it’s back in Sydney...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Pedal to the metal is not always the fastest way

I keep saying this to anyone who'll listen. You gotta bloody finish - it can be a fine line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dark Cloud said:

I keep saying this to anyone who'll listen. You gotta bloody finish - it can be a fine line

The big kite usually does more good at the end in 0-5 than it does in pieces after being left up in 25. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Latest from the Oats Camp..

A lightning fast and very professional response by the highly experienced crew aboard the supermaxi Wild Oats XI when its mast failed at the weekend saved the yacht from the likelihood of considerably more damage.The 30-metre long sloop, which is recognised as the most successful yacht in the 75-year history of Rolex Sydney Hobart race, went close to being dismasted while leading the fleet in the 180-nautical mile Cabbage Tree Island race out of Sydney on Friday night. The yacht was two hours into the race when a solid splintering sound signalled that the 45-metre high carbon fibre mast had fractured at deck level. The mast then tilted at an alarming angle and threatened to crash over the side.Only an immediate and well calculated reaction by the 20-man crew – led by skipper Mark Richards –  kept the gyrating mast aloft.

Had it crashed into the water Wild Oats XI would probably have suffered significant hull-damage and not been able to start in the Hobart race on December 26. As it turned out, there was only minor damage to the deck.“The reaction by the crew to this emergency was exceptional,” said Sandy Oatley, whose family owns the yacht. “The sails were lowered as quickly as possible and the hull was heeled to leeward to steady the mast and minimise the risk of further damage.”

The supermaxi made its way into Newcastle so the fractured mast could be lifted out by a crane then lashed to the deck. Wild Oats XI was then motored 60nm south, back to its home base in Sydney.Technicians from the yacht’s builders, McConaghy Boats, and the mast makers, inspected the damage yesterday and confirmed it could be repaired in time for the Hobart race start. However, a question mark remains over the yacht’s high-tech carbon fibre rigging.

That rigging, measuring more than 100 metres, was scheduled to be airfreighted from Sydney to its manufacturer in Spain today so it could be x-rayed and checked for flaws. Any damaged rigging would be replaced.“This was the only way we could ensure none of the rigging was damaged,” Sandy Oatley explained. “Obviously there is an element of risk associated with sending it to Spain, especially when it comes to transport delays, but it’s a gamble we had to take.”

Sounds like a bit of Mundles one handed reporting?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“And then our fearless leader, Ricko, sucker punched the mast right out of the boat because it was a black mast and that’s very close to black jack and Ricko hates  black jack.”

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard the bowman low kicked it after coming back to the mast only to be shouted at. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this race is really posted as a prep for a Hobart....then it's a sad indictment that so few were able to finish. There will be many lessons to take away. Watching No Limit sail itself aground was painful to watch and I sincerely hope the crew sits down and watches that vid in their debrief....

Hats off to Gweilo....2nd over the line and a clean sweep of every other category....a modern racer that is well prepared and very well crewed showed that with the right combination of seamanship and hardcore racing attitude, the results will come. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Couta said:

If this race is really posted as a prep for a Hobart....then it's a sad indictment that so few were able to finish. There will be many lessons to take away. Watching No Limit sail itself aground was painful to watch and I sincerely hope the crew sits down and watches that vid in their debrief....

Hats off to Gweilo....2nd over the line and a clean sweep of every other category....a modern racer that is well prepared and very well crewed showed that with the right combination of seamanship and hardcore racing attitude, the results will come. 

What happened with No Limit? I didn't hear about that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Insta

scallywaghk
The calm before the storm️ We’ve had lots of questions and messages about whether we’ll be participating in the Sydney to Hobart this year. All we have to say is, watch this space...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, angles said:

Insta

scallywaghk
The calm before the storm️ We’ve had lots of questions and messages about whether we’ll be participating in the Sydney to Hobart this year. All we have to say is, watch this space...

What? Taking the Multi Hull instead of the Mono? Or have they bought Comanche....??????????????????????? No please no.......:wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

What? Taking the Multi Hull instead of the Mono? Or have they bought Comanche....??????????????????????? No please no.......:wub:

agreed. please dont fucking let Witty have any paws on the  Big C !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Couta said:

https://www.icloud.com/photos/#0QXVHhp-nusy6xKZlnkSyOA7A

Terra...You have been warned.....

 

How fortuitous it was that there was someone there filming, so their embarrassment could be preserved for posterity. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Couta said:

If this race is really posted as a prep for a Hobart....then it's a sad indictment that so few were able to finish. There will be many lessons to take away. Watching No Limit sail itself aground was painful to watch and I sincerely hope the crew sits down and watches that vid in their debrief....

Hats off to Gweilo....2nd over the line and a clean sweep of every other category....a modern racer that is well prepared and very well crewed showed that with the right combination of seamanship and hardcore racing attitude, the results will come. 

Couta, whilst this has been touted as a prep to the Hobart race, it is but one race in the Blue Water Series.  It is A Cat 2 race not Cat 1 like Hobart.  A lot of boats take the opportunity to use the race to qualify the boat and crew but are casual entries for the Blue Water series.  The qualifying conditions for Hobart state a nominated qualifying race (Cabbage Tree is one) or a 24 hour passage or a passage of 150 miles within the previous 6 months.  When the 24 hours was up in the Cabbage Tree race, suddenly a number of boats decided not race any longer for various reasons given.  Those who pulled the pin early and did not meet the qualifying conditions can go and do an overnighter off the coast and log it with CYCA sailing office.  A number of those who did not start on Friday night did just that and started on Saturday morning when the conditions had settled a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Couta, whilst this has been touted as a prep to the Hobart race, it is but one race in the Blue Water Series.  It is A Cat 2 race not Cat 1 like Hobart.  A lot of boats take the opportunity to use the race to qualify the boat and crew but are casual entries for the Blue Water series.  The qualifying conditions for Hobart state a nominated qualifying race (Cabbage Tree is one) or a 24 hour passage or a passage of 150 miles within the previous 6 months.  When the 24 hours was up in the Cabbage Tree race, suddenly a number of boats decided not race any longer for various reasons given.  Those who pulled the pin early and did not meet the qualifying conditions can go and do an overnighter off the coast and log it with CYCA sailing office.  A number of those who did not start on Friday night did just that and started on Saturday morning when the conditions had settled a bit.

Exactly my point! It is touted as a prep race....and so many weren't up to it. The fact that boats can opt to do a qualifier when the weather is benign is pointless....

It's a coastal race that can be tactical, require nav skills and (at times) demand seamanship.....(I've done a few)...from all reports, the conditions were challenging but not "fresh to frightening"... too many were found out to be under prepared or underskilled IMHO....hopefully there'll be some review & reflection on some of those boats.

Again - congratulations to Team Gweilo, who showed that well trained crew in a well prepared boat can race responsibly and win across the board.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the best bit is that the boat has to qualify not the crew,  you can go out with a very different crew in light air and qualify the boat which is then raced by someone else!

Strangely a boat that has done the previous 5 Hobarts with the same core crew has to prequalify each year.

I can't fathom this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Recidivist said:

How fortuitous it was that there was someone there filming, so their embarrassment could be preserved for posterity. 

EVERYTHING gets filmed these days!

Not so sure that Low Stress (DA) would have lived up to his name in that situation. Loads of blue water experience on the No Limit so it just shows that 'shit happens' without fear or favour. Hopefully damage was "limited" to  a few bruised egos rather than to that fine vessel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tubby it's just arse covering from the organisers....a bit of window dressing around the final responsibility statement found in every event: "it is the sole responsibility of the skipper to start or continue racing...blah..blah..."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Swanno said:

Sounds like a bit of Mundles one handed reporting?

 

Yep, prepare for the annual onslaught of blinkered Mumblespeak from the Oats campaign. Hilarious oversight that he declined to mention that the team that so professionally 'saved' the boat also royally fucked it in the first place. Chalk that up to an Oats psych-out by BlackJack. The Summer of 2019 scoreboard thus reads BJ -1, Oats - 0. And as the saying goes, Once you go Black...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The waterfront drums are going off. The Koa guys have seriously stepped up and rather than repairing the TP52 have made an offer on Scallywagg 100.

 

Scallywagg have exchanged on Comanche, and are waiting to settle before taking possession.

 

When I made some calls to check the validity of these rumours, theparadoxofthrift called me a fucking idiot - so it must be true?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Couta said:

Tubby it's just arse covering from the organisers....a bit of window dressing around the final responsibility statement found in every event: "it is the sole responsibility of the skipper to start or continue racing...blah..blah..."

 

Yeah I understand that,  just some of the decisions seem counter intuitive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Flatbag said:

EVERYTHING gets filmed these days!

Not so sure that Low Stress (DA) would have lived up to his name in that situation. Loads of blue water experience on the No Limit so it just shows that 'shit happens' without fear or favour. Hopefully damage was "limited" to  a few bruised egos rather than to that fine vessel.

Not the first time she's bounced off the bottom. At least this time I can watch it from the comfort of my keyboard rather than jumping straight on the rescue boat fresh from a 30+ hour trip to Gero to help get her back to the mooring. At that time the boat did have a limit, and the crew were well over it at the bar celebrating racing up on a substantially larger boat than the rest of us plebs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For only Adults $180, children 4-15 $150, kids under 4 free.
one can book aboard this vessel and watch the show on boxing day
with this magnificent vessel:
1060835368_MathildaIII.jpg.947369c311cf3c990bd4ce291d4c3e7b.jpg
Mathilda 3 bookings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Couta said:

Exactly my point! It is touted as a prep race....and so many weren't up to it. The fact that boats can opt to do a qualifier when the weather is benign is pointless.

Couta, if the race had light winds with nothing over 12 knots it still would have been a qualifier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, trt131 said:

Couta, if the race had light winds with nothing over 12 knots it still would have been a qualifier.

trt131 - It's the concept of picking and choosing that is pointless...

Choosing only to do benign "qualifiers" makes a mockery of the whole idea of "qualifying"

Anyone can do a Hobart if they wait for a weather window......fuck, I once paddled a surfski across Bass Strait for a laugh!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

The waterfront drums are going off. The Koa guys have seriously stepped up and rather than repairing the TP52 have made an offer on Scallywagg 100.

 

Scallywagg have exchanged on Comanche, and are waiting to settle before taking possession.

 

When I made some calls to check the validity of these rumours, theparadoxofthrift called me a fucking idiot - so it must be true?

Given Scallywag Instagram says watch this space something is in the air. Also Witty was not happy after the Fastnet loss to Rambler. The drums are beating but unless Witty recruits some of the Comanche crew we won't see the boat reach it;s potential IMO.  Oats would be rubbing their hands together and Black Jack quietly confident.  Interesting times...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Given Scallywag Instagram says watch this space something is in the air. Also Witty was not happy after the Fastnet loss to Rambler. The drums are beating but unless Witty recruits some of the Comanche crew we won't see the boat reach it;s potential IMO.  Oats would be rubbing their hands together and Black Jack quietly confident.  Interesting times...

Witty would call Ken Read if he wants to have a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, bigrpowr said:

Witty would call Ken Read if he wants to have a chance.

Isn't Comanche running Doyle Sails now?  That makes it a no no if so. Certainly a call to Stan Honey as he knows the boat and the angles as good as anyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2019 at 4:40 PM, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Two things here... Not mentioned was that Oats was smoking BJ at the time..

Also how do these people know Jim is selling Comanche ....?  
Not saying it would surprise me but how would anyone know.... Jim is a very private person that sure as shit doesn't talk out of school... 

Jim Cooney told  me to tell you all..... officially he is not selling Comanche at this point and it is full steam ahead for Hobart.... locked and loaded..... 

He said he gets inquiries about selling it all the time and has done since he bought it.... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Jim Cooney told  me to tell you all..... officially he is not selling Comanche at this point and it is full steam ahead for Hobart.... locked and loaded..... 

He said he gets inquiries about selling it all the time and has done since he bought it.... 

This is great news for @LB 15 & I. Jim is clearly still considering our offer & not sold to the commies. 
 

LB15 & I have watched foreign investment drive up houses prices in Sydney & we couldn’t stand back, way back, way way back in the beer garden of the Wynnum RSL & let this happen to our price range super maxis. 

“A man’s got to do what a man’s got to do” John Wayne. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Jim Cooney told  me to tell you all..... officially he is not selling Comanche at this point and it is full steam ahead for Hobart.... locked and loaded..... 

He said he gets inquiries about selling it all the time and has done since he bought it.... 

Hope that's true..! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, schakel488 said:

For only Adults $180, children 4-15 $150, kids under 4 free.
one can book aboard this vessel and watch the show on boxing day
with this magnificent vessel:
1060835368_MathildaIII.jpg.947369c311cf3c990bd4ce291d4c3e7b.jpg
Mathilda 3 bookings

Buy a fucking ad. Why would I want to pay $180 to stand on a boat loaded with half pissed Post Christmas bogans on Boxing Day when I can watch Ricco live, up close and personal for 2 hours on Channel 7 for bugger all?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$180 for adults and $150 for kids 4 - 15 with 2 drink tokens and a small buffet- what a fucking ripoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Flatbag said:

Buy a fucking ad. Why would I want to pay $180 to stand on a boat loaded with half pissed Post Christmas bogans on Boxing Day when I can watch Ricco live, up close and personal for 2 hours on Channel 7 for bugger all?

I’m coming to your place.... beer or rum?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jason AUS said:

I’m coming to your place.... beer or rum?

You have to ask that question Jase? Its Hobartmas you should be going straight for the black tea...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Flatbag said:

Buy a fucking ad.

Yep, Schakel is the official SA tour operator. All proceeds go to the asylum in Delft.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Yep, Schakel is the official SA tour operator. All proceeds go to the asylum in Delft.

 

Nope, for sale in the CYCA shop. 
cyca-75th-logo_180x180.png.df521524d9e73443a9df36daea264c61.png
Accesable via official S2H website.
115229634_MathildaCYCA.thumb.png.16921b40804459a5ae9b9f17c6bc0a2b.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scallywag sitting quietly in at Birkenhead Marina on 14 November ...  very low key prep you'd have to say ...

Also saw Gwelio motoring out of Woolwich sans mast and rigging later in the evening...

IMG_5294.jpg

IMG_5293.jpg

IMG_5298.jpg

IMG_5296.jpg

IMG_5292.jpg

IMG_5299.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Berthing in Hobart or Sydney? Probably in case the fleet gets battered then trying to air lift 40 crew off a sinking super yacht might be beyond the capacity of the emergency services

 

And to keep the woxi fan boys happy ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JL92S said:

Berthing in Hobart or Sydney? Probably in case the fleet gets battered then trying to air lift 40 crew off a sinking super yacht might be beyond the capacity of the emergency services

 

And to keep the woxi fan boys happy ;-)

These ships are able to anchor of course.

The red text is probably the reason,
And those superyacht guys are so spoiled;
Sea water may mix in their Pina colada,
And misses hair becomes totaly undone.

Rent a naval ship for rescue is within their wallet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tommays said:

 

 

At 6:30 a front rudder is being mentioned as a new inovation they made on WOXI,
Retractable! Meanwhile Mark Richards and Rob Brown are laughing like they are pulling a joke.
Been done before in AC, wasn't very succesfull, but we 'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, schakel488 said:

At 6:30 a front rudder is being mentioned as a new inovation they made on WOXI,
Retractable! Meanwhile Mark Richards and Rob Brown are laughing like they are pulling a joke.
Been done before in AC, wasn't very succesfull, but we 'll see.

That's actually what is on Black Jack currently (unless they changed something recently).

 

Basically similar positioning to where the canard was located when both boats were CBTF . But retractable.

I wonder if it is fully functional as a rudder like the original configuration, or if it just rotates 5-10 degrees to give the most efficient lifting surface for a given speed/tack. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2019 at 6:23 PM, Couta said:

Exactly my point! It is touted as a prep race....and so many weren't up to it. The fact that boats can opt to do a qualifier when the weather is benign is pointless....

It's a coastal race that can be tactical, require nav skills and (at times) demand seamanship.....(I've done a few)...from all reports, the conditions were challenging but not "fresh to frightening"... too many were found out to be under prepared or underskilled IMHO....hopefully there'll be some review & reflection on some of those boats.

Again - congratulations to Team Gweilo, who showed that well trained crew in a well prepared boat can race responsibly and win across the board.

Hats off to Gweilo for the results...but as mentioned above being sans mast, they found a carbon shroud worn 1/2 way through shortly after getting back to the dock...if that let go it would have been another boat DNF.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, schakel488 said:

Why aren't these superyacht participating in this race.
Regulations ban out 100 feet plus yacht for sure but why?
http://theyachtphoto.com/Samurai/#SamuraiMichaelKurtz27.jpgSamuraiMichaelKurtz16.thumb.jpg.c543e691ed37cfd78220318f7283e60b.jpg
Samurai 140 feet

What you don't think there is a big enough speed difference across the fleet now?

The 100s can be there in one downwind system,  with the back markers seeing 3 or 4 up, down & no wind systems and the probably copping a pasting as well.  It's no wonder the little/slow boats aren't a chance on overall anymore.

In the days of IOR maxis there was a maximum rating (70') which limited the speed of the big boats and kept the fleet spread closer.  Even the maxis had a couple of nights at sea and were unlikely to make the trip in one system.  Evened the chances a bit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites