Just saw a post on sailorgirls FB page..

Love you Pillow 2764.png❤️ Thanks for all that you did for me and for sailing. Thoughts are with Karen and Will and the rest of the family xxx
You are a legend already to so many 2764.png❤️
Keep sending it “Gold Leader” - love Girly

Sad sad day . Sail on mate

Has Pillow died? :wacko:

Unfortunately yes is what the word is. Was hoping to see him next Saturday.

RIP, this is very very sad.

A sad day as we lost one of the most inspirational people I have ever met. Despite being told 4 years ago he had 6 months to live Matt Pillow Owen fought on and set an example for us all. He was always positive and would greet you with "Gday Bloke" and smile.

A champion sailor but more importantly a great person.

His most memorable quote "Hamilton Island Race Week is just Schoolies for Fat Bald 50 year olds"

Its not how you deal with things that you can change that define you its how you deal with those things you can't change. He certainly showed us how to deal with the latter

Love to Karen and Will and all his family and friends

His last interview with Nic Douglas

https://www.facebook.com/sailorgirlHQ/videos/263556067475868/

B2B 2009 (25).JPG

• Like 2

Devastated but inspired by someone I have never met! Hope I get to meet you on the other side mate.! And they sell the drinks to go with the moment? RIP mate

I met Pillow in 2013 when I moved to Canberra, my life is better for having met him

RIP Pillow

Pillow passed away in his sleep at home Saturday night - surrounded by love. I'm sure Kaz wouldn't mind me sharing this bit of the text letting us know..."I know Matthew would join me in saying that the support, love and laughter shared with all our friends and family has made the last 4 years so much easier.."

His circle of friends is wide and there are still many tears being shed.

Our loving thoughts are with the family.

• Like 2

Hey everyone.

Yes he passed away early on Sunday, in his own bed after a decison to stop treatment with other complications involved.

I am still coming to terms with it all and I can't imagine how those closer to him are feeling.

Many may not know that he gave me the name Sailor Girl. Well he more fondly called me Girly.

I went to boarding school in Canberra and was lucky enough to know him from then.

I annoyed him frequently on twilights and what not.

Went to Sydney as soon as I could for uni chasing the Olympic dream.

He gave me a job at the Yacht Club when I came home after being cut leading into London for being too short.

And I had my spot back on the Magic for twilights in an instant.

Then I came to Sydney chasing the Sailor Girl dream all over again...

We were diehards...

Will fucking miss him.

Memorial at the Canberra Yacht Club on Friday 26 October at 4pm xx

• Like 5

Cancer is a horrible thing even if you come out the other end, unlike the Pillow, many survivors won't reveal the after bits they endure just because they are alive and they look OK. Give generously if you get the chance or feel inclined to help bury this shitty disease.

There'll be a turnout for Pillow's send off - and plenty of glasses raised in clubs around the world. He was that rarest of things....a really good bloke. I first met him as just a kid - his parents were close friends of my parents - Keith sailed everywhere with Dad. So I got to watch and hear of his exploits as he developed his amazing skills ....and witnessed them as he beat me every time. He and Reedy won the FF nationals at Xmas with a race to spare, but in typical form he insisted on sailing the last race having been in hospital on his "magic black bag" infusion that morning - saying he "wouldn't miss the chance of another race with mates".....Legend.

• Like 2

For those that can make it - there's a celebration of life of Matthew Owen aka "Pillow" this Friday afternoon at Canberra Yacht Club. Warning gun 3.55 pm for a 4.00pm start .....there'll be stories...laughter and tears.

44 minutes ago, Couta said:

For those that can make it - there's a celebration of life of Matthew Owen aka "Pillow" this Friday afternoon at Canberra Yacht Club. Warning gun 3.55 pm for a 4.00pm start .....there'll be stories...laughter and tears.

A big contingent coming from Sydney, will be a messy evening.  I think their 4-6pm is a bit optimistic

B2B 2009 (25).JPG

DSCF0083.JPG

• Like 1

Phil, that shot seems reminiscent - rather like the Elliot 7 that blasted past us like we were standing still just after the start of the "Heaven Can Wait" inaugural race - when the spray on our boat started at the mast!

Didn't meet the guys after the race, but if that was Pillow, I tip my hat (and I do anyway)

RIP 

12 hours ago, Recidivist said:

Phil, that shot seems reminiscent - rather like the Elliot 7 that blasted past us like we were standing still just after the start of the "Heaven Can Wait" inaugural race - when the spray on our boat started at the mast!

Didn't meet the guys after the race, but if that was Pillow, I tip my hat (and I do anyway)

RIP 

No that wasn't Pillow, he didn't do a HCW to my knowledge. The pic above on the E7 reminds me of last Sunday, it was exactly like that conditions wise.

11 minutes ago, Bill E Goat said:

Might have been me, I did the first one, it started at Raffertys Resort, October 2007

Image may contain: outdoor

JW, I know that you did the second and the Mitchell Sails E7 did the first, I don't remember you doing the first. When did we pass you?

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

JW, I know that you did the second and the Mitchell Sails E7 did the first, I don't remember you doing the first. When did we pass you?

Phil

I can't remember what I did last week let alone 11 years ago

22 hours ago, Couta said:

I will be there... Is there a special Anarchist's dress code so we know who to avoid?

^^^ White sports coat...and a pink crustacean!

2 minutes ago, Couta said:

^^^ White sports coat...and a pink crustacean!

Damn.. I left my white sports coat in Melbourne

Drinkin' margaritas, chewin' juicy fruits....with pencil thin moustaches!

5 hours ago, Rushman said:

Damn.. I left my white sports coat in Melbourne

How are you off for pink crustaceans?

45 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

How are you off for pink crustaceans?

Do I need one if I don't have the White sports coat?