Sign in to follow this  
Mid

American Whiskeys

Tell me about 'em ?

Must be something better than Jack's ?

In defense of Jack. For the volume they produce and the price point they hit. It’s pretty good. 

Right now Ryes and Bourbons are dominating the American Whiskey scene. I’m a fan of Bulliet for cocktails. Their Rye for old fashions and their bourbon for manhattans. 

Whiskey on the rocks or neat, Gentleman Jack is my go to. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chinabald said:

Whiskey on the rocks or neat, single malt Scotch is my go to. 

Bourbon, Black Jack is my go to. 

And don't bother with the predictable about the rocks & single malt - sometimes it's nice.

If for some strange reason you are possessed enough to want rye, Canadian Club is pretty decent - comparable to the comments about Jack.

2 minutes ago, chinabald said:

In defense of Jack. For the volume they produce and the price point they hit. It’s pretty good. 

Right now Ryes and Bourbons are dominating the American Whiskey scene. I’m a fan of Bulliet for cocktails. Their Rye for old fashions and their bourbon for manhattans. 

Bulleit Rye as described...absolutely (except I like it in the Manhattan as well). I've pretty much ignored American "whiskey" but do enjoy a bourbon or two. Recently a whiskey bar opened near us with all American Whiskey's....more than a hundred. It has opened my eyes a bit and am sampling and enjoying more than my usual scotch single malts. I have to head out right now, but I'll put up a couple ones I enjoyed when I get back.

• Like 1

Jack's is reasonably consistent , but becoming a little mundane :(

Problem is there is some god awful crap out there as well .

Single malts are another kettle of fish all together ...................

What I'm asking for is advise on American Whiskeys ?

2 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Bulleit Rye

Generic_SpiritBottle.ashx?bc=White&mh=47

thanxs PB , will looks for this .

Voted as the best rye in the world a couple of years ago. I normally don't like rye, but this one's smooth.

brbon_cro56.jpg

Unfortunately, it isn't an American whiskey, but close. And the price is right.

bourbon.  george dickel #12.  4 fingers, 3 ice cubes.  repeat as necessary.

• Like 1

and don't forget some of the japaneses whiskeys.. i've heard some of them are very very good..

craft distilleries are popping up all around here..   have not had a bad one yet..   too bad you won't see any in oz..   

4 hours ago, tybee said:

Widow Jane. Awesome stuff. Neat.

Four Roses is very good too

5 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

and don't forget some of the japaneses whiskeys.. i've heard some of them are very very good.. 

Macke it Suntorrey time.......          :)

First of all, I tend to favor a good rye so a number of my recommendations circle around that. 

As mentioned - 4 Roses 

whistlepig any of the ryes

Woodford - both the rye and the double oaked bourbon

Makers Mark cask strength

less expensive but I like them....Templeton rye and High West double rye those are kinda mixers for me - old fashioned and Manhattan 

the rest I drink neat with a water back.

2 minutes ago, Point Break said:

First of all, I tend to favor a good rye so a number of my recommendations circle around that. 

As mentioned - 4 Roses 

whistlepig any of the ryes

Woodford - both the rye and the double oaked bourbon

Makers Mark cask strength

less expensive but I like them....Templeton rye and High West double rye

Plus + + + on Woodford

Good stuff.

-DSK

7 hours ago, tybee said:

Dr. Dickel is very good, but I still prefer J.W. Dant.

7 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Voted as the best rye in the world a couple of years ago. I normally don't like rye, but this one's smooth.

brbon_cro56.jpg

When we were kids the most prized marble bag was a purple Crown Royal bag.

8 hours ago, Ishmael said:

brbon_cro56.jpg

I’m not fond of CR....but you are right, it’s a very nice rye.

I'm liking Eagle Rare these days

7 minutes ago, pbd said:

I'm liking Eagle Rare these days

Try Pappy Van Winkle, then try Eagle Rare....

I'll bet you don't notice the difference, until you get the tab.

JD makes a rye which is good. I am partial to JD though

Jack Daniels has always been (to me) the Budweiser of american whiskey...... Jim Beam has always been the Miller high life.....

I like a more flavorful drink.... I don't drink a lot of whiskey, but when I do (like this morning) I like to taste a bit of what it's made of.

(And yes, I said "this morning", because I was decanting some stuff from one cask to another, and there was a thimble full that needed tasting).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mid said:

Jack's is reasonably consistent , but becoming a little mundane :(

Problem is there is some god awful crap out there as well .

Single malts are another kettle of fish all together ...................

What I'm asking for is advise on American Whiskeys ?

Ever tried Green Label Jack? It's mostly a Southern label, it's a more raw, raunchier blend, cheaper, a bit more moonshiney. I like it. Even as the cheaper blend, I think it still tastes better than a lot of boutique blends, those guys at Jack know how to blend hooch.

I guess I'm a heathen, I like it a little bitter.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Try Pappy Van Winkle, then try Eagle Rare....

I'll bet you don't notice the difference, until you get the tab.

Good luck getting a Pappy.......but if you can.....

8 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Ever tried Green Label Jack? It's mostly a Southern label, it's a more raw, raunchier blend, cheaper, a bit more moonshiney. I like it. Even as the cheaper blend, I think it still tastes better than a lot of boutique blends, those guys at Jack know how to blend hooch.

The green is  a less mature blend.

It is not the rye blend as I originally posted.

I prefer the cornier/maltier barley stuff personally....

But like I said, I just taste it occasionally..... And build stills for other people.... To distill vinegar, and water for their cleaning needs....

1 minute ago, Point Break said:

Good luck getting a Pappy.......but if you can.....

I tasted it. It was fine. But not anything to write home about..... I think this was the 10 year old stuff, not the really fancy stuff...

1 minute ago, Mrleft8 said:

I tasted it. It was fine. But not anything to write home about..... I think this was the 10 year old stuff, not the really fancy stuff...

Never managed to secure a bottle. One of these days. 

So I have seen a number of vanilla bourbons.....anybody try any? It seems so wrong.......

4 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Never managed to secure a bottle. One of these days. 

Me either, but I built a bar for a guy who had a bottle of it, as well as Glenfiddich 30 year old. I was not impressed by the Glen, or really by the Pappy....

But I liked the fact that not only did he pay me in cash, he gave me a 2 month credit on the bar tab for draft beer.... (Guinness, and Sierra Nevada).

1 minute ago, Point Break said:

So I have seen a number of vanilla bourbons.....anybody try any? It seems so wrong.......

Like beer, and coffee..... No one should fuck with those basic components.

9 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Me either, but I built a bar for a guy who had a bottle of it, as well as Glenfiddich 30 year old. I was not impressed by the Glen, or really by the Pappy....

But I liked the fact that not only did he pay me in cash, he gave me a 2 month credit on the bar tab for draft beer.... (Guinness, and Sierra Nevada).

Not much of a beer guy for a decade or more now. I drink a few a month. I have a son-in-law who is an award winning craft beer brewer who is about to open his own brewery. Our daughter couldn’t marry into the McCallan family?! :mellow:

i always preferred evan williams over JD and Jim beam..   it's football bourbon.  the stuff you carry into stadiums..

they do have some higher grades that are good too..

also, if you can find it  Redemption Rye whiskey, especially if you can find cask strength, spend the money

• Like 1

Jack Daniels isn't bourbon.  It's Tennessee sipping whiskey.  Doesn't make it any less tasty!

Bourbon must be made in Kentucky, using the barrels only once. 

Buffalo Trace....

Blantons is my go to, fantastic bourbon. 

After that, it is in no particular order:

Basil Hayden

Hudson

Koval

I acknowledge that Hudson and Koval are not from Kentucky, and thus may not be technically considered bourbons. Still, they are pretty good bourbon style whiskeys. 

1 hour ago, LenP said:

Blantons is my go to, fantastic bourbon. 

After that, it is in no particular order:

Basil Hayden

Hudson

Koval

I acknowledge that Hudson and Koval are not from Kentucky, and thus may not be technically considered bourbons. Still, they are pretty good bourbon style whiskeys. 

Basil Hayden is another favorite.

Whiskey does not have to be made in Kentucky to be bourbon.

I like the Rittenhouse rye.

On the cheap I like Four Roses Yellow or Larceny.

If I’m going to spend a little more, Basil Hayden is my first choice but Maker’s 46 and Eagle Rare are right up there too. I have a Maker’s Mark Private Select I bought at the distillery that I haven’t broken open yet, should be wonderful.

I’ve read Old Weller is great, but I haven’t been able to find any.

Since someone mentioned Scotch above, favorites there are Balvenie Doublewood and Lagavulin 16 (though  it’s become too pricey).

5 hours ago, dave-j said:

Jack Daniels isn't bourbon.  It's Tennessee sipping whiskey.  Doesn't make it any less tasty!

Bourbon must be made in Kentucky, using the barrels only once. 

That bourbon must be made in Kentucky thing is a myth. Lots of good bourbons made elsewhere these days. The barrel part is true and is why there might be a shortage of bourbon in the future. 

On 10/7/2018 at 11:19 AM, tybee said:

:)

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:57 PM, chinabald said:

That bourbon must be made in Kentucky thing is a myth. Lots of good bourbons made elsewhere these days. The barrel part is true and is why there might be a shortage of bourbon in the future. 

Agreede, D-J iste oute of controlle.  Crazey Man x 2.  Manney workeres theire dointe no 1 barrelle frome 2 barrelles.

:)

Oh shit............................ There was some stuff up in Mendocino, that was called "The green dragon".

As far as I can tell it was grain alcohol with some serious sensimilian bud soaked in it for 6 months.

It was a viscous green liqueur that would put a professional drinker/smoker out with one shot.

I sniffed the bottle and got high. I never tasted it, but I lived across the street from the place that it was served on New years eve..... Lotta people on the porch at sun up wondering what the fuck just happened.

One that I have been enjoying for a while is a Canadian Whiskey named  Pendleton...smooth and full bodied.... that green dragon sounds scary    ...  

One question I have is: Why the single use barrel for Bourbon? You'd think the barrel would develop more character as it aged..... Rum barrels are reused until they start to fall apart.

3 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

One question I have is: Why the single use barrel for Bourbon? You'd think the barrel would develop more character as it aged..... Rum barrels are reused until they start to fall apart.

Look at all the scotch single malts that are finished in a variety of casks that held other spirits......Balvinies Doublewood is one I like. Interestingly enough, the craft beer industry is exploring used barrels to “age” some of the beers. Not my taste, but it’s getting pretty popular.

Anyway, i’m Guessing the reason for the bourbon single use is the predictability of the outcome. Same oak, same toast, same length maturing.....removes a lot of variables. Then there is tradition........not to be underestimated in decisions of that nature.