Sign in to follow this  
Mid

It's going to get worse.

I have been mostly vegetarian my adult life. I don't make an issue of it and if I am a guest I will eat what they serve.  After they get to know me if they can't bother to remember that I prefer to not eat meat then we just don't dine together.  I can only think of a couple people in my life who lectured about being vegan and were pretty obnoxious.  Almost everyone wants to lecture me about not eating meat.  It's kinda like that with the lib/con thing.  I have disconnected from people I cared about because they just refused to shut up and i will only ignore shit for so long. 

The worst part for me is once being in the middle and now being a leftist when I haven't changed my views.  As to getting worse? I could compare it to the War in Vietnam, those who are still angry and believe we could have won if only we had killed them all make up a core group of Trump supporters. They are angry and mostly rightfully so but have been so misdirected as to where the blame belongs.

Trumps reign will end and it won't be pretty and his supporters will never get over it.   i can see the Veterans Trump Wars VTW Halls being built here soon.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lasal said:

I read them. Your dissembling is clear. Seriously, the sense of victimization among the right has been carefully cultivated like so much jello. It's wiggly and empty of substance.

Fear of non-conformity. That heretic who insists on eating the sticky date pudding, wtf is wrong with him? why doesn't he like the Jello? Is he judging me? I suggested he try the jello, but he wasn't interested. He must be crazy. I'll suggest it again...

7 hours ago, benwynn said:

I have vegan friends, and think your generalization (like most here) is horseshit. The vegans I know specifically tell me not to accommodate them when they are over for dinner, as I usually have a vegetables and potatos along with whatever meat we are having, and they express no dismay whatsoever as I scarf down a ribeye. 

The title of the thread applied in many ways.

There's probably almost 35/65 vegan/vegitarians at my workplace..like 20 people..only one ever made any issue about it..we're simply courteous enough to order 50/50 at the pub..we all like chips!.. 

10 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Or maybe the media has totally sold out it's traditional role and is the media propaganda arm of the "progressive ,globalist utopia " vision

that was vague, here's something that isn't-

guess who in fact invented american state sponsored PROPAGANDA (in the truest sense of the word), and who has systematically and aggressively utilized it for at least 20-30 years to punk simpletons like yourself so that they don't get utterly destroyed during elections? that'd be your blessed 'reich-wing'.

you regressive clowns still get gleefully knobbed by the same systematic propaganda like dim witted children as you pitch in to make the world a shittier place but for a tiny, callous minority. seen from an outsiders perspective, you generally come off as asinine and pathetic (satirists love you), yet you adopt a state of denial about it all and petulantly cast blame at anything else that's remotely convenient.

do your part, go get your misguided ass 'deprogrammed'.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Take a look at the difference between a vegan and someone who's not.  The person who's not a vegan is perfectly happy letting the vegan enjoy their chosen diet.  The vegan screams that anyone eating meat is a murderer who deserves to die, and takes great pains to try to stop everyone else from eating meat.  

On the other end of that spectrum, I managed to eat Thanksgiving dinner (and spend a couple of days and a night with) my friend Rachel three years in a row before learning she had gone vegan.

Obviously, I don't notice what others are eating. Just as obviously, she doesn't care who knows what she eats.

11 hours ago, benwynn said:

Actually, I have not met a "militant vegan".

Take up hunting or fishing. They're particularly nasty to people who do their own killing instead of contracting it out.

Online, I encounter more of that elk. In my personal life, only a few and most have been more like Rachel, though she's an extreme example.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:
13 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

It seems like I have to actually draw pictures for the irony challenged here....

We get your "outrage" Jeffreaux and AGITC - you point fingers at the the Dems and ignore the Republicans. It kinda makes Tom Nichols point, actually, hence my laughing at the irony. But then, he wrote a whole fucking book about assclowns like you.

There was no outrage there.  Only amusement at the irony that you guys simply are unable to see yourselves in mirror.  And I was not pointing fingers at the dems while ignoring repubs.  I have called the repuds out on numerous things, probably more than the dems lately in fact.  And any finger pointing regarding Sean's post #21 was pointing out the irony of the dem finger pointing and "outrage" about moral relativism and situational ethics.  

BTW - jibsey, do you have any comments regarding what I said about the irony of the moral relativism, situational ethics and the winning at all costs tactics the dems deployed here on the Kav ambush when they had ample time before hand to bring it up and get a proper investigation launched???  

12 hours ago, lasal said:

Kavanaugh was nearly not confirmed. You said you assumed he wouldn't be. That R's would simply nominate another conservative. It's clear you did want Bart and wanted him to overcome his disqualifying partisanship and his history of sex assault. You won, why the anger and hate?

You must be thinking of someone else.  I was totally ambivalent about BK's nomination and if he didn't get in, another one equally conservative would.  Meh. 

What I did and still have heartburn with was the process of how a person was treated based on 36 year old uncorroborated allegations, how he was convicted in the media and the court of public opinion before either party even had a chance to address it and how it was clear the dems set this up as a hail mary pass hit job on him because they didn't get their way.  I hated what Cunt McConnell did to Merrick Garland and I think this is equally bad if not worse.  It's pure pettiness and two wrongs do not make a right and I'm just fucking sick of this tit for tat BS between the duopoly.  

As for "anger and hate"..... how did you get that out of my statement by pointing out the hypocrisy of the author for having the gaul to say that without realizing that the entire spectacle of this confirmation fight with CBF and how the dems handled it was exactly "moral relativism, situational ethics and winning at all costs"?  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 3to1 said:

guess who in fact invented american state sponsored PROPAGANDA (in the truest sense of the word), and who has systematically and aggressively utilized it for at least 20-30 years to punk simpletons like yourself so that they don't get utterly destroyed during elections? that'd be your blessed 'reich-wing'.

you regressive clowns still get gleefully knobbed by the same systematic propaganda like dim witted children as you pitch in to make the world a shittier place but for a tiny, callous minority. seen from an outsiders perspective, you generally come off as asinine and pathetic (satirists love you), yet you adopt a state of denial about it all and petulantly cast blame at anything else that's remotely convenient.

three1.jpg

5 hours ago, 3to1 said:

How do you know you have not been programmed?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SailBlueH2O said:

three1.jpg

The government will tell us what is factual and what is not.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Take a look at the difference between a vegan and someone who's not.  The person who's not a vegan is perfectly happy letting the vegan enjoy their chosen diet.  The vegan screams that anyone eating meat is a murderer who deserves to die, and takes great pains to try to stop everyone else from eating meat.  

That's what's been happening between libs and non-libs for a long while in the country.... 

LOL - I have vegan family members. They USED to carry on like that and scream about roasting animal corpses and so on. I would throw shrimp at them and chase them around with a piece of steak. Now they sit at the table and enjoy the big plate of roasted veggies I made and ignore the plate of roasted meat or fish I made. We all take what we want.

As for the larger issue  - it is exactly the reverse of what you state. The "conservative" not only does not want to be gay and marry a same sex partner, they want to make sure YOU can't do it either. I don't care who or what people pray to or when, but I know more than one "conservative" that wants "God in schools' and "God in government". The "how about the government leaves everyone alone when they can" type conservatives seem to be fading away.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

What I did and still have heartburn with was the process of how a person was treated based on 36 year old uncorroborated allegations, how he was convicted in the media and the court of public opinion before either party even had a chance to address it and how it was clear the dems set this up as a hail mary pass hit job on him because they didn't get their way.  I hated what Cunt McConnell did to Merrick Garland and I think this is equally bad if not worse.  It's pure pettiness and two wrongs do not make a right and I'm just fucking sick of this tit for tat BS between the duopoly.  

McConnell has played that game since at least 1991. It's politics and Kavanaugh knows exactly how the games played and has played it on other people.

You aren't sick enough to quit acting like a duopoly tied 'tard.

17 hours ago, Kirwan said:

You do blather on.  Forgive me that I don't hang on your every word. 

What percentage of Libs are 'militant vegans'?  I suspect it's quite small

What percentage of Cons are 'militant anti-gay' (or 'militant anti-abortion')?  I suspect those are both much larger numbers. 

Sounds like you think that there are more intolerant Liberals than there are intolerant Conservatives; I disagree.  Maybe you should look those words up in a dictionary.

While you're at it, look up 'False equivalency' and 'Projection'.

Just pointing out that Steamers is partially correct - that there are conservatives who are pissed off at the behavior of some liberals, and providing an example of why some may be.  I know that none of you think that there's any reason whatsoever that a thinking conservative could possible oppose or be aggravated w/the libs - but, that's just not so.   As to "false equivalency and projection"  - why look it up when there are so many wonderful examples in the conversations here?   

To clarify the point yet another time, I accept that there are intolerant conservatives, unlike many of the libs here ( which seems to include you, too) who can't fathom that there are intolerant libs who behave in a manner that's upsetting, and that when they do, it's only in response to conservative provocation.  

1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

As for the larger issue  - it is exactly the reverse of what you state. The "conservative" not only does not want to be gay and marry a same sex partner, they want to make sure YOU can't do it either. I don't care who or what people pray to or when, but I know more than one "conservative" that wants "God in schools' and "God in government". The "how about the government leaves everyone alone when they can" type conservatives seem to be fading away.

That's authoritarianism and a real part of both extremes.

19 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Really? I was vegetarian (never Vegan) for 17 years. Fucking everyone wanted me to eat meat. Yeah, it's good, and I happily eat it now. 

But I did gain 20 pounds almost immediately and it's been shit for my digestive system.

Thanks for sharing that - so, when you were a practicing vegetarian, did you regularly get pissed off and call meat-eaters murderers?  Did the people trying to get you to eat meat do so out of a sense of humor/concern, or were they generally hateful, acting like you were somehow or another deviant in your practice? 

I'm assuming a couple things: 1) you weren't "militant" in your diet choice, it was just your choice.  2) most of the folks who tried to get you to "eat meat" weren't militant in their attempts.    The point?  It's not the choice, it's the militancy, the vilification of everyone who made different choices that pisses people off and wrongly flavors the perception about others making those same choices.   Everyone would do well to remember that. 

18 hours ago, benwynn said:

I do not claim my experience negates yours. Nor did I scroll through the entire thread where you walked back your post.

Actually, I have not met a "militant vegan".

However, I have met intolerant liberals. I have no experience with "conservative opression".  What exactly in my post gave you the remotest reason to ask?

Re-reading it Ben?  There's nothing - I was wrongly merging a couple concurrent pieces of the conversation. 

Just to be clear - the point of my over-generalized example wasn't to demonize veggies/vegans - but to use an example that I thought would be easily understood to illustrate the larger point.  

17 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

So, you hate the Conservatives who've extended this to destroy Christine Ford? Trump who calls the people behind her "evil" and declares "kavanaugh proven innocent"? Instead of choosing the sane route - you've chosen to tack hard right with the position Kavanaugh's a saint and this is all a conspiracy theory pushed by the liberals. That's bullshit.

I knew intolerant militant vegans. 20 years ago when the SF Bay area still had a few enclaves of hippys and weirdos.

Indeed I do - and you can look back thru my comments on this to see for yourself. I question the timing and motivation behind her allegations,  but unless it comes out that she made everything up ( which I sincerely doubt ) for the express purpose of trying to derail an opposition nomination, then the people attacking her and making physical threats to her and her family ought to be locked up.   I'll stand by what I've said on Kavanaugh, you can re-read it or ask questions if you think I'm wrong about something. 

17 hours ago, Raz'r said:

From what I can tell, what you want is Gandhi.  Someone who will just suffer in protest. Sorry bud, i'm going to be loud.

Why? Because Trump showed that in Amerika, Gandhi would get run over by a truck.

Ghandi'd be cool - as long as Clint Eastwood had his back.   Be loud all ya want, Flash - really, I think we all should.  Where I think we differ is in what we should be saying loudly. 

1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

LOL - I have vegan family members. They USED to carry on like that and scream about roasting animal corpses and so on. I would throw shrimp at them and chase them around with a piece of steak. Now they sit at the table and enjoy the big plate of roasted veggies I made and ignore the plate of roasted meat or fish I made. We all take what we want.

For about 2 years, my daughter was one of the militant vegans I complain about. It was a bit of a struggle to balance respect for her choices, and to avoid the disruption that came when she decided to chastise everyone for not adopting her choices.  She pissed me off regularly, not because she was trying something different - but, in the way she expressed her choices and demanded acquiescence from everyone else, without being willing to afford others that same consideration.  She saw the light when she was 22, and her comments upset her then BFs grandfather to the point that the BF un-invited her to family gatherings.   Like I said - the example was intended to be something that I thought others could relate to - not a vilification of the choice.   

18 hours ago, Kirwan said:

While you're at it, look up 'False equivalency' and 'Projection'.

You know..... one of the things that bugs the living frack out of me around here is the charge of "false equivalency" for any analogy that they disagree with or one that makes their point look weak.  Who the fuck are you to judge  whether it's "false" or not?  

Frankly, it's the crutch of the man who has a weak argument to begin with when they hurl charges of false equivalency because they know their argument can't stand up to even mild criticism.  

[/rant]

Now "Projection" OTOH.... there is a metric shit ton of that going on here on a regular basis.  Some of you even make a proverbial living out of it.  You know who you are.....

4 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

three1.jpg

Very true - Twain was way too smart to have ever said anything that stupid.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:
4 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

three1.jpg

Very true - Twain was way too smart to have ever said anything that stupid.

Actually that should be changed to:  "If you watch ANY Cable News, you're retarded".  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

That's what's been happening between libs and non-libs for a long while in the country.... 

You are the one that painted all liberals with the same broad brush.  

But keep digging, I think you're starting to see daylight. 

1 hour ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

For about 2 years, my daughter was one of the militant vegans I complain about. It was a bit of a struggle to balance respect for her choices, and to avoid the disruption that came when she decided to chastise everyone for not adopting her choices.  She pissed me off regularly, not because she was trying something different - but, in the way she expressed her choices and demanded acquiescence from everyone else, without being willing to afford others that same consideration.  She saw the light when she was 22, and her comments upset her then BFs grandfather to the point that the BF un-invited her to family gatherings.   Like I said - the example was intended to be something that I thought others could relate to - not a vilification of the choice.   

Being pelted with shrimp took a lot less than 2 years. Just sayin............

36 minutes ago, Kirwan said:

You are the one that painted all liberals with the same broad brush.  

But keep digging, I think you're starting to see daylight. 

Do tell... I'd say instead that it's the lot of YOU who are twisting an example into an over-generalization, but, hey, it's what ya do, so please, carry on! 

8 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

You must be thinking of someone else.  I was totally ambivalent about BK's nomination and if he didn't get in, another one equally conservative would.  Meh. 

As for "anger and hate"..... how did you get that out of my statement by pointing out the hypocrisy of the author for having the gaul to say that without realizing that the entire spectacle of this confirmation fight with CBF and how the dems handled it was exactly "moral relativism, situational ethics and winning at all costs"?  

You do realize, of course, that the only reason there even WAS a fight is because 3 Republicans decided to give the nomination more time. You can count, right?  Mitch can. He knew he didn't have the votes. He HAD to allow her to testify because of his own party. 

This was a Republican mess.

1 hour ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Ahh, that's different. That's not being a Vegan. That's being a rebel in her 20s. Could have been vegan, in times past it might have been no-bra.  

Watch some episodes of All in the Family.

You might recognize some folks.

21 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Ahh, that's different. That's not being a Vegan. That's being a rebel in her 20s. Could have been vegan, in times past it might have been no-bra.  

Watch some episodes of All in the Family.

You might recognize some folks.

Edited to restate: The Archie quote's funny - well played. 

You're right, of course, w/r/t her rebellion.  I don't think that negates the example,  that it's not the opposite choices that create the contention, It's the intentional vilification of everyone who doesn't share that choice that does.  

• Like 1

On 10/10/2018 at 6:19 AM, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Um. My sister and a good friend are vegan. You wouldn't know about either of their dietary choices unless you went to a restaurant with them or ate at their place, and only then by paying attention to what is served. They do not make a big deal about it, certain don't go about screaming anyone who eats meat is a murderer who deserves to die and have never once complained about my eating meat let along taken great pains to stop me from it.

You're just wrong here, Chesapeake. Flat out, undeniably, factually wrong. You complain about others using a broad brush and this is doing exactly that. 

Edit: Reading past that through the whole thread, I can see you walked that back since. However the point about you painting with a broad brush whilst telling others not to still stands. Funny how often that's coming up ;) 

7 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Do tell... I'd say instead that it's the lot of YOU who are twisting an example into an over-generalization, but, hey, it's what ya do, so please, carry on! 

I won't be the first to tell you it was a horrible example.  Re-read your post again and tell me it couldn't be paraphrased as: "Liberals are like vegans, who scream (and worse) at anyone who has a different viewpoint"   

Add "generalization' to the words YOU need to look up in a dictionary.   also 'Gaslighting'.

10 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Edited to restate: The Archie quote's funny - well played. 

You're right, of course, w/r/t her rebellion.  I don't think that negates the example,  that it's not the opposite choices that create the contention, It's the intentional vilification of everyone who doesn't share that choice that does.  

Well, it does negate the example, because it turns out that the basis of your example had nothing at all to do with people handling each other's personal differences. Your daughter was trying to piss you off by using a dial she realised she had control over and you did not.

All this diet mumbo jumpo is irrelevant. You are trying to blame something else for your daughter's deliberate triggering of you.