Sign in to follow this  
IStream

Musicians Who Deserve Their Great Reputations

Anybody willing to go with the collectively ugliest rock group in the world? But oh so good...............

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Point Break said:

As good as Queens video was....is there anything better than Garth?

Sure:

• Like 1

Jesus, shit all over my thread why dontcha...

43 minutes ago, IStream said:

Jesus, shit all over my thread why dontcha...

My bad.

• Like 1

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Grizz said:

No love for Jimi? 

Lots...somebody mentioned him already...........

12 hours ago, Point Break said:

As good as Queens video was....is there anything better than Garth? 

Better than Garth? Well, you could start with Freddie

The Rolling Stones live in 1972. Mick Taylor playing slide in standard tuning. Most guitarists use open tunings for slide work. Taylor is underrated, IMO, as was the Stones superb session pianist, Nicky Hopkins.

• Like 1

More guitarists

Ry Cooder

Danny Gatton

Michael Hedges (mentioned)

and on bass

John Entwistle

Chris Squire

Jaco Pastorius

Next year's RRHOF class of nominees have just been announced with inductees chosen at the end of the year 

https://www.rockhall.com

Noting artists become eligible for nomination 25 years after the release of their first recording here is one Best to Worst list of Inductees to date.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/05/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-artists-ranked-from-best-to-worst.html

Notice a few missing? There seems to be a bias be it 60/70's or American music tastes or something. It is approaching rediculious artists like these can't cut the RRHOF mustard. 

Jethro Tull, Nick Drake, TRex, John Coltrane, Jeff Buckley, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Little Feat, Rory Gallagher, INXS, Warren Zevon, Todd Rundgren, Johnny Winter, and John Mayall etc. 

The only list more weird is some of the Inductees to date. Check out these well known rockers and name one of their songs? 

Darlene Love, Bobby Bland Jimmy Cliff, Gene Vincent, Jimmy Reed, The Moonglows, Little Willie John, LaVern Baker, Loyd Price, the Staple Singers or The Flamingos. That is before adding in the Rap group shit.

I liked Cheap Trick who had to wait 40 years or so before getting inducted 2 years ago which I think was a wait commensurate with their music but to come in after those nonsence nominees above???

Lots of Inductees over the years during their induction speeches have complained about selection. Pearl Jam’s bass player   Jeff Ament, went one better and hit the stage wearing a shirt that did the talking for him about ommisions. Stella McCartney had a bitch too with a T-Shirt about her poor dad..just wish someone had locked her and it in the coat check cupboard.

9c0562bb6ed77aa5.jpg

stella_mccartney_about_fucking_time_shirt_paul_hall_of_fame.png

Another vote for Pete Townsend. Hitmaking songwriter, amazing guitarist and powerful vocalist I never tire of. Plus, although I might be wrong, Did he not invent the 2 humbucker Telecaster - or at least make it mainstream?

Cant leave without a shout for the Bee Gees. They always catch a lot of shit from disco haters and sissy bullies, but they were truly talented and wrote a lot of hits for others after they fell out of favour. 

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Next year's RRHOF class of nominees have just been announced with inductees chosen at the end of the year 

https://www.rockhall.com

Noting artists become eligible for nomination 25 years after the release of their first recording here is one Best to Worst list of Inductees to date.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/05/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-artists-ranked-from-best-to-worst.html

Notice a few missing? There seems to be a bias be it 60/70's or American music tastes or something. It is approaching rediculious artists like these can't cut the RRHOF mustard. 

Jethro Tull, Nick Drake, TRex, John Coltrane, Jeff Buckley, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Little Feat, Rory Gallagher, INXS, Warren Zevon, Todd Rundgren, Johnny Winter, and John Mayall etc. 

The only list more weird is some of the Inductees to date. Check out these well known rockers and name one of their songs? 

Darlene Love, Bobby Bland Jimmy Cliff, Gene Vincent, Jimmy Reed, The Moonglows, Little Willie John, LaVern Baker, Loyd Price, the Staple Singers or The Flamingos. That is before adding in the Rap group shit.

I liked Cheap Trick who had to wait 40 years or so before getting inducted 2 years ago which I think was a wait commensurate with their music but to come in after those nonsence nominees above???

Lots of Inductees over the years during their induction speeches have complained about selection. Pearl Jam’s bass player   Jeff Ament, went one better and hit the stage wearing a shirt that did the talking for him about ommisions. Stella McCartney had a bitch too with a T-Shirt about her poor dad..just wish someone had locked her and it in the coat check cupboard.

9c0562bb6ed77aa5.jpg

stella_mccartney_about_fucking_time_shirt_paul_hall_of_fame.png

You're kidding. The Pixies are in the Rock'n Roll Hall of Fame but Jethro Tull isn't? Serious WTF??

FWIW I liked Cheap Trick too, they were a little bit too clever but they hit a good groove. I always wanted to play "I want you to want me" as R&B

-DSK

47 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

FWIW I liked Cheap Trick too, they were a little bit too clever but they hit a good groove. 

Jeff Ament from Pearl Jamb in his acceptance speech last year said;  “It’s an honor in to be part of a club that includes so many of our heroes—Neil, the Clash, Zeppelin, the Stooges, Cheap Trick—but the fact is that we were affected and infected by bands that aren’t here. So many important bands that made us want to pick up our guitars and write songs. Roxy Music, The Jam, Devo, X, Black Flag, Jane’s Addiction.”

1 hour ago, Peanut Butter said:

Cant leave without a shout for the Bee Gees. They always catch a lot of shit from disco haters and sissy bullies, but they were truly talented and wrote a lot of hits for others after they fell out of favour. 

That was an "other artists song list" greater than any other and regardless of whether you liked it or not, a lot of smash hits amoungst them. They wrote a total of 1,030 songs which is quite remarkable.

https://www.beegees.dk/brmlist.htm

Ain't Nothing Gonna Keep Me From You" by Teri DeSario

"Buried Treasure" by Kenny Rogers (backing vocals The Gatlin Brothers)

"Chain Reaction" by Diana Ross

"Come on Over" by Olivia Newton-John

"Emotion" by Samantha Sang and by Destiny's Child

"Gilbert Green" by Gerry Marsden

"Grease" by Frankie Valli

"Guilty" and "Woman in Love" by Barbra Streisand

"Heartbreaker" & "All the Love in the World" by Dionne Warwick

"Hold On to My Love" by Jimmy Ruffin

"I Will Be There" by Tina Turner

"If I Can't Have You" by Yvonne Elliman

"Immortality" by Celine Dion

"Islands in the Stream" by Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton

"Morning of My Life" by Abi and Esther Ofarim and by Mary Hopkin

"Only One Woman" by The Marbles

"Rest Your Love on Me" by Conway Twitty

"Sacred Trust" by One True Voice

"Warm Ride" by Graham Bonnet and by Rare Earth

Their album Saturday Night Fever reigned as the top-selling album in history until Michael Jackson's "Thriller" surpassed it in the 80's , ironicaly an album that Jackson acknowledged was inspired by Saturday Night Fever.

Only Barry left of all the brothers, but still writing/performing with his son.

On 10/8/2018 at 12:12 PM, woahboy said:

And for the acoustic fans there is always Leo Kotke. Also hat's off to James Taylor as well.

Kotke is still making the rounds.. played tonight at the Birchmere in Arlington VA.

wish I'd remembered to buy tix

• Like 1

So how about some cultural music? If someone is only "famous" within their specific niche or genre of music can they be a musical genius? Quite a few years ago, Mrs PB and I happened across some musicians playing one afternoon and well into the evening at the Waikiki Shell. It was our introduction to Hawaiian slack key guitar. Fueled by curiosity from that day sitting in the grass we discovered that genre of music and the "king" pioneer Gabby Pahinui. From there, Atta, Makaha Sons, Dennis Kamakahi, Ledward Kaapana and so many other of the old and more modern artists. But Gabby (here is one of the songs lately "famous" probably most recognized of so many...........musical genius or?

OK, every time I hear "Rolling Stones" I think of that little twerp Mick Jagger prancing around in his too-tight pants singing "I'm so hot for her but she's so cold". 

Ick.  

No one mentioned Fleetwood Mac?  How such discord (dis-chord?) amongst the band created such great songs of Rumors?  Or maybe that was just me in high school. 

When I was in the concert biz we hired Steve Morse and his band. I didn't even know who he was, but someone did because we sold out in a day. He turned out to be a nice guy and a very good guitar player B)

He also had an epic number of groupies that would do ANYTHING to meet him :D

21 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

When I was in the concert biz we hired Steve Morse and his band. I didn't even know who he was, but someone did because we sold out in a day. He turned out to be a nice guy and a very good guitar player B)

He also had an epic number of groupies that would do ANYTHING to meet him :D

Steve Morse is a great musician and seems like a very nice down-to-earth guy. He's been with a couple of headline bands, notably Kansas and the Dixie Dregs..... actually the period he was with Kansas was probably a low point for both he and Kansas (the band), but I think it was a convergence of factors not his own doing.

I dunno about groupies, but I will say: the time I met him to actually talk to, it was a guitar seminar that was by invitation only supposedly to keep groupies away.

-DSK

He wasn't with us very long ...beautiful voice in a big body.

Kamakawiwoʻole's aim was music that stayed true to traditional Hawaiian music as many people associated Hawaii with made up shit. Was also a indigenious rights activist for his people.

54 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Steve Morse is a great musician and seems like a very nice down-to-earth guy. He's been with a couple of headline bands, notably Kansas and the Dixie Dregs..... actually the period he was with Kansas was probably a low point for both he and Kansas (the band), but I think it was a convergence of factors not his own doing.

I dunno about groupies, but I will say: the time I met him to actually talk to, it was a guitar seminar that was by invitation only supposedly to keep groupies away.

-DSK

I mostly know him from deep purple.....

Carrying on the late, the indigenous and big voice theme.

Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu a Nth Territory (Aust) Gumatj man, blind at birth, left-handed so taught himself to play a right hand guitar upside down. Has played to Royalty and Presidents alike and with those like Sting and Elton John. Sings in both Yolnu languages and English.

Sorry couldn't stop in bedding vids..the last one Wiyathul heads the spine tingling category.

23 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I mostly know him from deep purple.....

??? OK, I had to google this..... fuck I had no idea. Apparently Joe Satriani was in Deep Purple, too.

BTW big plus on the Hawaiian slack-key guitar stuff. I discovered this music by accident and tried hard to pick up the ability to play like that...... can't do it. They're all geniusses IMHO maybe it's geniuii?

-DSK

Has anyone mentioned Richard Thompson?  We've twice seen him live solo, and both times he blew me away.  A great performer and player, who writes beautiful songs.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, valis said:

Has anyone mentioned Richard Thompson?  We've twice seen him live solo, and both times he blew me away.  A great performer and player, who writes beautiful songs.

What happened to Linda?

7 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Steve Morse is a great musician and seems like a very nice down-to-earth guy.

6 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

I mostly know him from deep purple....

6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

??? OK, I had to google this..... fuck I had no idea. Apparently Joe Satriani was in Deep Purple, too

Those two names ring a bell.

Steve Morse for not getting inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Deep Purple but maybe should have and Joe Satriani who didn't really warrant being inducted and didn't as only a brief stand in for Richie Blackmore after he left the band in the early 90's some 25 years after kicking it all off.

There have been lots of controversies about who does and who does not get inducted and then turns up or otherwise at Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremonies. Kiss not showing up at all in 2014  was a highlight. I recall one band who I can't remember the organisers left two members off the guest list by mistake and denied them entry on the night when they showed up. Deep Purple with their lineup history were never going to dissapoint.

The members of Deep Purple who got inducted were guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, singer David Coverdale, singer Rod Evans, singer Ian Gillan, bassist Roger Glover, singer and bassist Glenn Hughes, keyboardist Jon Lord and drummer Ian Paice.  Longtime members guitarist Steve Morse and keyboardist Don Airey did not get nominated but showed up to play at the induction ceremony anyway.

The bizzare absentee however was Ritchie Blackmore a co-founder of Deep Purple who wrote much of their most memorable stuff that got them inducted, including "Smoke on the Water," played on the night obviously and which I mentioned in my personal experience upthread.

He didn't appear at the induction ceremony because the current band were unwilling to perform with him.

Current band unwilling .. fuck me.

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

...     ...     ...

The bizzare absentee however was Ritchie Blackmore a co-founder of Deep Purple who wrote much of their most memorable stuff that got them inducted, including "Smoke on the Water," played on the night obviously and which I mentioned in my personal experience upthread.

He didn't appear at the induction ceremony because the current band were unwilling to perform with him.

Current band unwilling .. fuck me.

That doesn't sound good.

I went to see Deep Purple a bunch of times, don't think I saw Coverdale but Ian Gillam was awesome. They all were.

-DSK

Went to see "Beautiful" the Carole King musical last night. I forgot how many songs she and Goffin as lyricist wrote and what a spectacular album "Tapestry" was. I did not know she had absolute pitch and began to play the piano at 4 and sold her first song at age 16 in an age that there simply were not women songwriters successful in the business. She sure seems to fit the definition of musical genius. (She formed a band called "The Co-Sines" in high school and played songs with her buddy Paul Simon....yes, that Paul Simon) What a stellar 3 hours that was.........

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

^^^^ A pretty interesting version here from the QOS with Carole King going bananas and POTUS tearing up.

As much as I absolutely love Carole Kings version - she wrote it after all....and many others sang it as well........It’s hard to argue it’s not Aretha’s........

On 10/9/2018 at 3:57 PM, dacapo said:

Saw this guy twice, once just after he put the Aerial Boundries album out at the New Varsity Theater in Palo Alto. Packed house. Hedges walks on stage like he came off the street with a battered guitar case and stops in front of one mike stand on an empty stage except for one cord on the floor. He opened the case, put the guitar on, plugged it in and did this piece. Place went nuts. They never turned the house lights down and by the end he had split the audience into two or three groups with each group doing a sound effect for "Come Together" while he did the guitar on vocals. It was incredible. Last time I saw him was at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz just before he died. One man, one guitar. Tragic death. "Live on the Double Planet" is a pretty good example of what his shows were like.

• Like 2

Eno is not in the rock&roll hof. No shit. Never thought about that. U2, Peter Gabriel, Taking Heads, Genesis, Phil Collins, and many many others were significantly directly influence by collaborating with him. Frankly they would have to make a special award for him. His contribution to what modern electrified music sounds like on records and in concert is immense and easy to overlook. He's like the Shogun of music. Btw, his wiki is in incredible. Prolific SOB.

despite that it's a creepy stalker video.... MJ did have a stage presence.

3 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

DLR ist northinge butte attenssione hoarre, remindes me olde gf, I runn forre covere when I see herre.                   :)

2 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Eno is not in the rock&roll hof. No shit. Never thought about that. U2, Peter Gabriel, Taking Heads, Genesis, Phil Collins, and many many others were significantly directly influence by collaborating with him. Frankly they would have to make a special award for him. His contribution to what modern electrified music sounds like on records and in concert is immense and easy to overlook. He's like the Shogun of music. Btw, his wiki is in incredible. Prolific SOB.

"So you our possessed"                                                            :)

54 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Onya Leftie!

Always good to see someone as talented as Skydog not taking himself too serious;y...

Emmylou is another one that people tend to overlook.... But other musicians know.

11 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Emmylou is another one that people tend to overlook.... But other musicians know.

I love-love-LOVE Emmy Lou Harris.

Mrs Steam understands. Our first non-sailing date was to go to an Emmy Lou Harris concert.

-DSK

Not sure this is for this thread, or the other, so I'll post to both.

On 10/15/2018 at 2:15 AM, basketcase said:

in gord we trust.

The Tragically Hip are one of those bands that truly deserve to be in this thread. It's odd how so many artists can be massive in their own country yet be very underestimated in others. It is more understandable if they are 'foreign' bands and don't perform in English but still, good music is good music.
The Australian version of this phenomenon is Powderfinger.

A good Dutch performer:

• Like 1

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I have that vinyl, carted it around for decades. Along with a few hundred others, but that one's special.

30 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Steve Winwood

Travelling now on limited service, so find some for me.

One of my favorites.........

14 hours ago, Point Break said:

When he was with the Spencer Davis Group.....written by Winwood (and his bro)

You failed to mention he was 16 years old.  He had so much talent but took time off for drugs.  Speaking of which:

17 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I have to say.....I have almost every album they recorded.....in vinyl still.......

Some sins are truly unforgivable.

44 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I have to say.....I have almost every album they recorded.....in vinyl still.......

Mexican Road Race is a great song to play on HWY 1 from Elk up to Eureka..... Gotta hit rewind a few times though!.

On 10/12/2018 at 4:59 PM, Snaggletooth said:

"So you our possessed"                                                            :)

Only on tuesdays

21 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I have that vinyl, carted it around for decades. Along with a few hundred others, but that one's special.

Still play this often (John Mayall's Turning Point). As a jazz/rock flute player Johnny Almond's horn work on this album was incredibly inspiring. Also some of the first beat boxing on that album I every heard. Frankly, other than giving a lot of musicians a leg up and visibility this is the best thing Mayall did I think. Truly inspired arrangements and execution. I finally did find a CD version.

32 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:59 PM, Snaggletooth said:

Only on Tuesdays

R-1383110-1463217346-7136.jpeg.jpg

:)

• Like 1

Link