Sign in to follow this  
IStream

Musicians Who Deserve Their Great Reputations

Recommended Posts

Theres a good quicy jones doc on amazon or netflix. You will be amazed. It certainly amazed me. Sinatra left him his pinky ring. Ray charles was his big brother for life, they met when q was 14 and ray was 16. He discovered oprah when he produced the color purple and cajoled spielberg into directing it. He literally lauched michael jacksons solo career. His crew wrote the songs and was the band. Sinatra said qs arrangements and the count basie orchestra were the best he ever had and then told the vegas dons to integrate the casinos or he was leaving and they did! He launched will smiths career. He produced we are the world the best selling single of all time and thriller the best selling album. he is very positive and very inspiring. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eric Burdon and the Animals? Lotsa important hits and a significant band in the “British Invasion”. Lotsa great Brit bands got less attention than deserved due to the incredible popularity of The Beatles. Played this song at our high school graduation. The principal stopped it 1/2 way and in his remarks said we were the single worst graduating class he ever had the misfortune to preside over. The seated class stood and cheered throwing our hats into the air. The principal then refused to hand out the diplomas and the young VP had to do it. He was also the “Dean of Boys” and those of us he......”knew”.....got a smile and a wink as we collected our paper. The parents were all stunned. :lol: Ahhhhh, the 60’s.......

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, PB, I just finished "The Art of Racing in the Rain" and enjoyed it. I don't think it was up to the standard of "The Dog Stars" but it was good. I read TDS shortly after my last dog passed and it pretty much gutted me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, IStream said:

BTW, PB, I just finished "The Art of Racing in the Rain" and enjoyed it. I don't think it was up to the standard of "The Dog Stars" but it was good. I read TDS shortly after my last dog passed and it pretty much gutted me.

I did those in the reverse order and although they are two different works, one sweetly sad and the other gut wrenching and bleak but I think you are right. Even though I saw the Jasper thing coming (I’m sure we all did) his treatment of it was stunningly despairing.....”The Dog Stars” was by far the better work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

News show the other morning played an interview with Lindsey Buckingham about why/how he was cut from Fleetwood Mac’s tour early this year (already mentioned in this thread). Made me think again about what a remarkable band that was in the early years...late 70’s. Remarkable group of talented people. My favorite.......along with a trillion other people.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Begs the question of what "great reputation" means in this context. The reputation is complicated but the paying is interesting.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, weightless said:

Begs the question of what "great reputation" means in this context. The reputation is complicated but the paying is interesting.

 

Good point. Be careful with that one......you’re dancing on the edge of a Grateful Dead debate! :lol:

But yes.......excellent musician....I really like his stuff. Didn’t he have to take a break a while back to “save his voice” or something like that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw the EL&P clip of "The Common Man" so have to nominate Aaron Copeland, American composer who integrated American folk music into classical works, highlight being that selected for the Olympics some years ago.  Rodeo, Appalachian Spring - written for ballet, has to be one of the top guys from the USA.  I met him once a long time ago and was very humble and congenial especially to a freshman music student who couldn't do much more than mumble "can I have your autograph?" 

Here is a short clip for Christmas, Yo Yo Ma and Alison Krause

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Point Break said:

Good point. Be careful with that one......you’re dancing on the edge of a Grateful Dead debate! :lol:

But yes.......excellent musician....I really like his stuff. Didn’t he have to take a break a while back to “save his voice” or something like that?

he can;t hold Jerry's dick ;-)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Saw the EL&P clip of "The Common Man" so have to nominate Aaron Copeland, American composer who integrated American folk music into classical works, highlight being that selected for the Olympics some years ago.  Rodeo, Appalachian Spring - written for ballet, has to be one of the top guys from the USA.  I met him once a long time ago and was very humble and congenial especially to a freshman music student who couldn't do much more than mumble "can I have your autograph?" 

Here is a short clip for Christmas, Yo Yo Ma and Alison Krause

 

I got to meet Ms. Krauss 2  years ago when she was in NYC doing a gig and stopped by my mandolin teacher's apartment to say hi (I was taking mandolin lessons from Barry Mitterhoff of acoustic Hot Tuna) ....one of the kindest people...angelic voice and when she wants to, can fucking rip on the fiddle, most of the time she fits her parts into the songs very delicately 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

here's another great musician who's also a great guy...

has played with the best...........

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

David Crosby.  His new music and band are outstanding. Full replay of last nights concert at the The Capitol Theater in Port Chester here.  The encore is Woodstock, and Ohio, just superb. Concert doesn't start until about 30 minutes into the video, just scroll ahead.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, PeterHuston said:

David Crosby.  His new music and band are outstanding. Full replay of last nights concert at the The Capitol Theater in Port Chester here.  The encore is Woodstock, and Ohio, just superb. Concert doesn't start until about 30 minutes into the video, just scroll ahead.

 

I wanted to go but had a family birthday that I had to go to..:-(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 12/8/2018 at 7:11 PM, weightless said:

;)

 

Take a look at the development process on mayer's guitar tone with Paul Reed Smith for the GD tour.  Mayer is an otherworldly musician and his commitment to detail and dedication to tone is impressive to say the least.  say what you will about mayer as a person, but as a musician there arent too many better...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2018 at 4:36 PM, Point Break said:

News show the other morning played an interview with Lindsey Buckingham about why/how he was cut from Fleetwood Mac’s tour early this year (already mentioned in this thread). Made me think again about what a remarkable band that was in the early years...late 70’s. Remarkable group of talented people. My favorite.......along with a trillion other people.

 

Rumours is an amazing album even today. If it came out today it would blow people away. Mick and John were shrewd judges of talent all the way from Peter Green etc. The fact that they integrated Nicks and Buckingham into the band and then collaborated as a group to do that they did proves that band leading doesn't mean you have to be in the spotlight out front. They were smart enough to let the creative folks create and held down the engine room on bass and drums. The fact the band had two lead female singers without bloodshed for as long as they did was incredible in itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this