Sign in to follow this  
nolatom

I still don't like twin rudders with midship prop, around the harbor..

When in a tight spot and zero to little headway, the ability to get a brief "kick" to the stern using half ahead and hard-over, is worth diamonds.

I miss it.    The alternative, using sternway to have crisper steering, is still counterintuitive and hinky, at least to me.

Old dog.   New tricks.   Takes a while.   Anyone else want to whine with me?  ;-)

Yup.  Made me long for a stern thruster in addition to a bow thruster.   

But...

You know.... twin rudders be cool, man!  (at least as cool as orange ones!)

I had a very unfortunate encounter with a twin rutter boat. 

The commodore at my club asked me to take his three granddaughters out for a sail on his sailboat that had twin rutters . They showed up with their boyfriends. Not one of the six weighed under 250lbs and they were wearing tiny bikinies and speedos . I suggested they bring some fun drinks but all they brought was food. Anyway we went out into the bay. After they gorged themselves on food a few of them wanted to take a dip. They stripped down to nothing  and the  behemoths jumped in. The ensuing tital wave almost capsized the boat.  It was very difficult getting their naked bodies back on board. I had considered towing them back to the club launching ramp but we got them on.  A few moments later they all got naked except their  very cool mount gay hats and all of a sudden one couple started to....... oh wait this is a family site nevermind.

28 minutes ago, VWAP said:

I had a very unfortunate encounter with a twin rutter boat. 

The commodore at my club asked me to take his three granddaughters out for a sail on his sailboat that had twin rutters . They showed up with their boyfriends. Not one of the six weighed under 250lbs and they were wearing tiny bikinies and speedos . I suggested they bring some fun drinks but all they brought was food. Anyway we went out into the bay. After they gorged themselves on food a few of them wanted to take a dip. They stripped down to nothing  and the  behemoths jumped in. The ensuing tital wave almost capsized the boat.  It was very difficult getting their naked bodies back on board. I had considered towing them back to the club launching ramp but we got them on.  A few moments later they all got naked except their  very cool mount gay hats and all of a sudden one couple started to....... oh wait this is a family site nevermind.

No.... its not.

8 hours ago, nolatom said:

When in a tight spot and zero to little headway, the ability to get a brief "kick" to the stern using half ahead and hard-over, is worth diamonds.

I miss it.    The alternative, using sternway to have crisper steering, is still counterintuitive and hinky, at least to me.

Old dog.   New tricks.   Takes a while.   Anyone else want to whine with me?  ;-)

Nola,

Lemme just pull up a bit of this park bench and get settled here.....

Yep, sucks balls. It would be alright if you had never sailed a real boat prior, then you wouldn't be any the wiser.

I am getting how to master the art of prop walking it in tight spaces. It works, but I do miss prop wash over the rudder. 

I reverse into anything tight,  and yes, it does feel odd to me, but man does it work.

Having said that, LB15 jumped on my boat for the first time and reversed it into the dock in a cross breeze facing forrard, beer in hand whilst regaling everyone with a salty tale. The bastard didn't even look. 

I felt very small. 

• Like 3

On 10/9/2018 at 9:53 AM, shaggybaxter said:

Nola,

Lemme just pull up a bit of this park bench and get settled here.....

Yep, sucks balls. It would be alright if you had never sailed a real boat prior, then you wouldn't be any the wiser.

I am getting how to master the art of prop walking it in tight spaces. It works, but I do miss prop wash over the rudder. 

I reverse into anything tight,  and yes, it does feel odd to me, but man does it work.

Having said that, LB15 jumped on my boat for the first time and reversed it into the dock in a cross breeze facing forrard, beer in hand whilst regaling everyone with a salty tale. The bastard didn't even look. 

I felt very small

His many vices are far outweighed by his skill and knowledge. The Shane Warne of sailing.

Yep. On the pogo 12.5 that I sometimes sail and the first 260 that I sail all the time, the dual rudders require a different skill set. The first is developing the courage to hang with a turn that never seems like it’s going to start. Until you have enough way, the boat just pushes forward. It will go, but often after more speed is needed when every sense in your body says to back off and minimize the damage. 

And yes backing often saves the day, the boats act and drive like front wheel drive car. The open transoms plows into waves like a tugboat. 

• Like 1

I remember the first few times docking with twin rudders, a thrill when slow-moving boat does nothing with the tiller hard over!  Like Jackdraw said, boat speed is your friend.  I've learned to do a gentler version of the Captain Ron approach and go hard reverse right at the very end (you learn to move quickly with the fwd/reverse controls)