Sign in to follow this  
billy backstay

Car Flooded ??

Anyone had this happen?  The night before we were to leave for vacation, there was a flash flood, and the brook next to our apartment flooded my 2017 WRX up and over the seat bottoms., or about 2 feet deep, according to the high water scum line inside the car.  We were evacuated by the Fire Department at 10:30 PM, as there was a large propane leak behind our building from a restaurant just down the way.  Next morning the water was down, and the car reluctantly started up and drove fine.  Parked in a friends garage with windows and sunroof open for the next 12 days until our return.  Still runs fine showing only an error light for the Air Bag system, probably because the weight sensors in the seat bottoms are ruined.  There is water sloshing around when driven, so I expect that a body shop can remove door panels and such, to remove water trapped there.  Hoping there are no long term problems going forward, because I am sure the value the insurance would pay us, would not nearly cover a replacement car of similar year and mileage.  So, what have others experienced when this happened?  Thanks!

5 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Anyone had this happen?  The night before we were to leave for vacation, there was a flash flood, and the brook next to our apartment flooded my 2017 WRX up and over the seat bottoms., or about 2 feet deep, according to the high water scum line inside the car.  We were evacuated by the Fire Department at 10:30 PM, as there was a large propane leak behind our building from a restaurant just down the way.  Next morning the water was down, and the car reluctantly started up and drove fine.  Parked in a friends garage with windows and sunroof open for the next 12 days until our return.  Still runs fine showing only an error light for the Air Bag system, probably because the weight sensors in the seat bottoms are ruined.  There is water sloshing around when driven, so I expect that a body shop can remove door panels and such, to remove water trapped there.  Hoping there are no long term problems going forward, because I am sure the value the insurance would pay us, would not nearly cover a replacement car of similar year and mileage.  So, what have others experienced when this happened?  Thanks!

that's lots of words to say "TOTALLED"

That's why I hope you had Good Insurance

at best it's a Salvage Vehicle

Go look for a New car

4 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

that's lots of words to say "TOTALLED"

That's why I hope you had Good Insurance

at best it's a Salvage Vehicle

Go look for a New car

Local garage suggest a thorough detail and trade it in.  But, like I said, I am probably upside down with the debt, since I already took a hit, when I traded in a one and a half year old car when I got this one.  And since it appears to work just fine, why should I get rid of it?  I am looking for actual experiences like this, NOT Woodrows "opinion".

Actual experience, your car is totaled. The seats already have mildew where you can't see, much of the wiring harness has been submerged which is not a design specification or condition. The door panels are ruined as is any insulation that was subject to the water intrusion. The electronics in the dash are slowly deteriorating due to the high humidity of the car 'drying' out (which if you hear water sloshing around it hasn't done yet) all of the motors/switches in doors are shot and will start failing. You are going to take a hit you just have to choose how you are going to take it detail and trade or call your insurance company (my choice). 

Experience -- family had 15 cars flood in Katrina from just barely to floor boards to half-way up the windows.  All cars that had water inside were eventually totaled, even the ones that still ran 'okay'. 

Do you have power seats? If yes then totaled. Are there modules behind the kick panels that got wet? If yes, totaled. Otherwise what Darth wrote anyway.  I know people who have waded through (pun intended) the problems but it likely becomes a 60's British sports car - drive it and work on it on Sundays.

Added - when you have full coverage ensure you have gap insurance. I met a woman a year ago whose car was flooded, she owed $14k and got $9k.  Gap pays off the loan. 

No experience thankfully, but would the insurance claim be invalidated if you wait to long to total out the car?

Sucks...sorry for your predicament ...perhaps you could buy it back from the insurance company after it has been totaled  and drive it dealing with the problems as the pop up....if you can force dry the car somehow...garage with heaters and fans for a week

Sorry to hear about your car. We lost two in Hurricane Harvey last year, plus equipment and many tools that were stored in the garage. We also had two feet of water in the house. Our cars were under water for a week, (water up and over the center consoles) so it wasn't even a question.

Yes, you can change the oil and clean it up enough to run, but unless you lie about the flooding, you won't get anything on a trade in. the car has no value, and I'd question the honesty of any garage that recommends a detail and trade in. Perhaps the guy is a good friend of yours and is trying to help you out, but that is some bad advice there.

The Pataconk brook got that high above the banks?!!!? WOW!

Um.... Yeah you're totaled. The corrosion on the electrical parts will manifest themselves over the winter. You should probably have filed a claim right when it happened.

Definitely call the insurance people and file a claim right away. The claim can be denied if you wait too long.

I have called insurance, just waiting for adjuster to call me back with day and time.  No power seats, and everything appears to work, except for fault light on Air Bag system.

4 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

I have called insurance, just waiting for adjuster to call me back with day and time.  No power seats, and everything appears to work, except for fault light on Air Bag system.

Maybe you can minimize the description of the water level and get the seats replaced...as it sounds like you don't like the upside down scenario 

Bummer. But its toast now....or as we used to say in the FD "dead but doesn't know it yet". The corrosion isn't going to stop nor the mildew/mold. When those things begin to manifest themselves any value will evaporate and it will become a money hole. Waiting isn't going to improve either the cars condition nor the financial position. Sometimes you just have to acknowledge the loss and move on. Has not happened to me but did to family. The outcome is nearly certain.

Sorry, sucks.

Pretty sure I got the GAP insurance, will look into this.

Had two cars flood to about the seat level.  DO NOT DRIVE until the trans fluid is swapped.  Both transmissions failed within a month.  Other than that, the cars were fine and made many more years.  

Sorry, backstay, it really is a bummer,  but  "dead but doesn't know it yet"  pretty well sums it up.

Hope you can score on another WRX  they are cool.

2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

I am looking for actual experiences like this, NOT Woodrows "opinion".

who on here has a car flooded any more than mine B)

sorry everyone else is saying the same -_-

You have options 

4D7BB06E00000578-0-image-a-67_1529584562

Now it’s TURBOT-charged! Father, 44, spends 10 months transforming an old Nissan Micra into a giant FISH TANK for outside his home

• Andy Tate says creating a fish tank out of a car has been a dream since childhood
  • He used newspaper to make papier mache filler before lining car with fibre glass
  • The 44-year-old, from Consett, County Durham, has also installed LED lighting
  • Creation now in Andy’s garden, and contains koi, goldfish, perch and shubunkin

http://hotworldreport.com/world-news/turbot-charged-father-transforms-nissan-micra-giant-fish-tank/

1 hour ago, Cal20sailor said:

Had two cars flood to about the seat level.  DO NOT DRIVE until the trans fluid is swapped.  Both transmissions failed within a month.  Other than that, the cars were fine and made many more years.  

A big factor is newer cars have a lot more wiring and electronics and some critical boxes located at floor level behind the drivers kick panel (not always).  Lots of electronic crap under the hood as well.  The cars I have seen post Harvey were totaled if water reached the seats with or without power seats.

JD - sorry to hear about that, I have witnessed enough of that this last year to last a lifetime.  Height of water times length it stayed sucks.  I have inspected homes with standing water for 2 weeks, it wicks up to the point that little to nothing is saved.  Hope you guys have recovered. 

Sucks.  I mean it sucks that you have to admit Woody was right. :)

• Like 1

Sorry to hear the bad news, was this the one you just bought a year or so ago?

Your car for all intent a purposes is totaled...  Outside of the mechanical issues, you're going to be dealing with mildew, mold, and corrosion. Corrosion I can deal with, but the little nasties with mold and mildew, I can't.  If you decide to keep it, you'll probably have re-title it to a salvage title..

If it were me, I would take the money and get a new car...  otherwise you'll just be tossing good money after bad..

Billy,

Really sucks. Sorry to hear. You really have  choices. Decide it’s not really been flooded, don’t tell your insurance and take your chances. This choice that is very high risk for all the reasons above. Delay and you buy it whatever comes. 

Call the insurance company and push hard for a total. Once you call them, the car will wear “flood damage” on the CarFax which will ruin its value. If the insurance company tries to get by with a clean up, detail and fixing what is wrong today but once you sign off in it, you own the future. 

Hope you got the gap insurance. Being upside down on a totaled car sucks big ones. 

Billy, drive it down to Bridgeport and leave it near the ferry terminal with the keys in it. Wait 24 hours and call to cops to report it stolen. Call insurance company to place a claim.... and delete this thread!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Billy,

Really sucks. Sorry to hear. You really have  choices. Decide it’s not really been flooded, don’t tell your insurance and take your chances. This choice that is very high risk for all the reasons above. Delay and you buy it whatever comes. 

Also keep in mind that if you ever have to go in for warranty work,  the dealership will figure it out pretty quick.  

How would you like to unknowingly buy a car from a dealer or private sale that has been flooded to the top of seat of bottoms.....and paid full price for it....

Maybe a seatbelt tension spring will fail when you need it the most.  Maybe a wire will short out while it’s parked in your garage at home catch fire and burn your house down. Maybe a rusted brake line/fitting will fail when your neighbors son runs out in the street after ball,

i know it sucks to owe more than its worth,  but this is why you own auto insurance.   The insurance company is going to question you about why you waited so long to report the damage.

when my three year old Prius that I had owned for less than 6 months was totaled by a falling tree. I was ready for a prolonged fight about the value,  but insurance companies don’t just use the blue book for car values anymore.  They research local completes car sales of vehicles with similar options miles year to get what usually ends up being a fair market value.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Pretty sure I got the GAP insurance, will look into this.

If you have GAP - let them total it. 

If you end up keeping it take out the carpet/padding asap / let it dry out and put in a new carpet / seats you can have re-done at an auto upholstery shop - your foam in the seats might still be ok.

As to retail value. I’ve had 3 cars totaled over the last few years. Late model used cars are pretty easy to value and you can usually get a similar car for the money that’s still under warranty or a CPO for about what they give you. They will add in any recent major maintenance and plus up for taxes and registration. 

My disappointment is the value for an older, excellent condition driver.  Replacement valuable gets you something off a private sale or from a used car dealer with little to no maintenance history. You get to take all the risks from previous owners care or lack of care. I tend to buy an off lease, high quality car and drive it until some significant failure when I donate it to charity, usually after 10 years and 150k miles or so. With a full maintenance history, regular oil changes and the like, I’m comfortable with that approach. Problem is when that car is totalled, the value is very depreciated and may support buying another old, depreciated car but not one that you can trust.  My last totalled car was from a storm downed tree crushing it. Lexus with 115K miles in outstanding condition. I got about $13k for it but had to do a “restart” with another off lease car that cost me about $30k, so a $17K unplanned “expense.”  

In any case, having a car totalled is an unplanned inconvenience and a PIA. Being upside down on a loan makes it even more of a pain. 

It was fresh, muddy water, the aftermath of Hurricane Florence as it went over CT.  GEICO Adjuster is coming today, so more info later.  Brought all the paperwork to work, to find the GAP insurance documents.  Also emailed my Salesperson at the Stealership to find a '17 WRX, 6-speed manual, with 30k miles, in any color, except "Arrest-Me Red"!!  I can add the short shifter that my car has, and don't care about the carbon fiber trim I had.  And I forgot to tell him it has to have a sunroof.  I am a little ticked at GEICO.  I told them to exactly match my previous coverage which included rental reimbursement, but they did not, so cheapest car is 40 bucks a day, and Enterprise upgraded me to a Fusion for no extra charge.

31 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

It was fresh, muddy water, the aftermath of Hurricane Florence as it went over CT.  GEICO Adjuster is coming today, so more info later.  Brought all the paperwork to work, to find the GAP insurance documents.  Also emailed my Salesperson at the Stealership to find a '17 WRX, 6-speed manual, with 30k miles, in any color, except "Arrest-Me Red"!!  I can add the short shifter that my car has, and don't care about the carbon fiber trim I had.  And I forgot to tell him it has to have a sunroof.  I am a little ticked at GEICO.  I told them to exactly match my previous coverage which included rental reimbursement, but they did not, so cheapest car is 40 bucks a day, and Enterprise upgraded me to a Fusion for no extra charge.

Geico.... Awful company...

Give Amica a call after you get done playing with Geico.... You won't regret it.

might be your agent , last year my vehicle was hit while parked and GEICO was awesome. Was a long story but they sued to get my deductible back etc.  For car rental? Hotwire. I rent cars a lot and using Hotwire (better deals if you can get it from an airport) not hard to get $25/ day all up, last year I had monthly rental for about $700, now though corporate it's $960.

So more on the rentals - was through Hertz, had car couple of months and had to return it as was being sold, said fine but I still need a replacement car (post Harvey and cars in short supply) so I stall until they tell me if I don't bring it in it will be reported stolen so fine. I arrange the time and remind them I still need to rent a car. Mid day, bring in car and go inside to get the replacement.  WHAAAT?  There is no replacement, here is a brochure, call that number.  So I call, sure no problem except the rate is now almost doubled.  Pull out my phone, bring up Hotwire (already at an airport) select a compact car and now am back to about $700 month and it sends me to Thrifty which is exactly across the street and is owned by Hertz.  Of course I get the usual upsell about how small it is bla bla bla, has to say compact to get reimbursed.  I tell em, don't care if it is the clown car, go out and guy sez - any car in that row which are Elantra and Corollas.  Current car is through Enterprise, very nice to deal with. 

YMMV

Much as it pains me to say it, Woody is ri...r...right... Totaled. Muddy water is almost as bad as saltwater, either way, the electrical system is toast. More importantly, stop driving it, the airbags could go off at any time now that the sdm(brain) has been soaked. The only way to save a flooded car is to immediately disconnect the battery, and as soon as possible, (read within a day or 2) completely strip the interior and set everything out to dry, disconnect everything, toss sdm and airbag sensors, blow out connections, fuseblocks, and anything else that got wet. WD40 is your friend here(about all it's good for imho), then after a week or so of drying, evaluate carpet, seats, trim panels, and start reassembly. It gets very expensive, which is why insurance companies total flood cars as a rule. The two that I've done, I've had a 5/50 success rate with making the customer happy, I don't do them anymore because even though we explained the facts about possible future electrical problems and the customer signed off, he 'eversinced' it to death.

• Like 1

Adjuster just called.  Taking it to a shop in Groton that will supply me a free loaner, so I can turn in the Enterprise Fusion.  She said they have to scan the electronics and investigate thoroughly, before they can total it.  More later, as the situation develops.  Thanks for all the advice!  EDIT; I paid extra for an extreme additional insurance from Zurich, and have already had one wheel rash repair done, so hopefully that will help some.

40 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Adjuster just called.  Taking it to a shop in Groton that will supply me a free loaner, so I can turn in the Enterprise Fusion.  She said they have to scan the electronics and investigate thoroughly, before they can total it.  More later, as the situation develops.  Thanks for all the advice!  EDIT; I paid extra for an extreme additional insurance from Zurich, and have already had one wheel rash repair done, so hopefully that will help some.

Its a total bummer. I always feel badly for folks who get an ass kicking from mom nature. I've been lucky to never really be on the recieving end of that sort of ass kicking and all of my "disasters" have been self inflicted....or at least "man made". <_< I suppose it could have been much worse for you as it is for some others...still.....hope you don't have to take too much of a beating.

1 minute ago, Point Break said:

Its a total bummer. I always feel badly for folks who get an ass kicking from mom nature. I've been lucky to never really be on the recieving end of that sort of ass kicking and all of my "disasters" have been self inflicted....or at least "man made". <_< I suppose it could have been much worse for you as it is for some others...still.....hope you don't have to take too much of a beating.

One day at a time.  Hey, at least I don't have Cancer!!!  It's just a friggin' car, so just have to deal with it, however it shakes out.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Geico.... Awful company...

Give Amica a call after you get done playing with Geico.... You won't regret it.

Amica...  20 years as a customer and treated very poorly.  Truly dreadful treatment, and I wasn't even asking them for any money!

That said, find any insurance company and you will find people who are grumpy.

Still...  Amica sucks.

Back to the damp vehicle.  I like the race car idea.  

I had terrific service with USAA and then The Hartford after that.  But Hartford jacked my annual fee up to 4 grand and GEICO was less than a thousand.

I had been with Geico for ten years or so, rates went up a bit each year and one day got a call from very nice woman who asked if she could get me a quote, turned out to be Allstate and was about 25% lower. Signed up and when cancelling Geico, they said, oh wait blah blah blah special company blah blah and knocked off another 20+% so I had to turn around and cancel with Allstate (bummer, hated doing that) but my rates were cut almost in half.

Morale?  No company rewards loyal customers as much as they offer deals to new customers.  Pays to shop around. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

I had been with Geico for ten years or so, rates went up a bit each year and one day got a call from very nice woman who asked if she could get me a quote, turned out to be Allstate and was about 25% lower. Signed up and when cancelling Geico, they said, oh wait blah blah blah special company blah blah and knocked off another 20+% so I had to turn around and cancel with Allstate (bummer, hated doing that) but my rates were cut almost in half.

Morale?  No company rewards loyal customers as much as they offer deals to new customers.  Pays to shop around. 

Yep..........I've had similar experiences with cable/sat TV providers AND cell companies. I've even canceled, waited a month and signed up again to take advantage of several come on offers/enticements not offered to long time customers. I didn't feel bad at all. They got no loyalty to me......I can reciprocate that approach. I think you're probably nicer than me though...........:lol:

4 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Yep..........I've had similar experiences with cable/sat TV providers AND cell companies. I've even canceled, waited a month and signed up again to take advantage of several come on offers/enticements not offered to long time customers. I didn't feel bad at all. They got no loyalty to me......I can reciprocate that approach. I think you're probably nicer than me though...........:lol:

I'm probably going to do just that with Cable Company.  Because we use a designated Business PO Box, we get several solicitation every month promising better deals, and we really need a land line, because cel coverage is so poor at our apartment in downtown Chester Village.

1 minute ago, billy backstay said:

I'm probably going to do just that with Cable Company.  Because we use a designated Business PO Box, we get several solicitation every month promising better deals, and we really need a land line, because cel coverage is so poor at our apartment in downtown Chester Village.

I dumped my landline and went with a VoIP as a backup to my cell. I use Ooma. Its $5 a month for two numbers, "answer machine", answer machine message retrieval remotely via either internet or phone in, call blocking with NOMOROBO database, and I got to keep my old number and have it ported to the VoIP. Literally $5 a month. It works great.

If ATT or anyone else has fiber optic you can get internet and VOIP for phone and good quality.  If they don't bundle a deal there are several that send the little box and it's $10/month with no contract.  I see PB has more info - as long as you have a solid internet connection VOIP is the way to go.  Even ways to deal with Fax.  Boy do I remember when a fax was so cool, quick and easy.  Was the best thing ever. Now? fax? really?  still have your chisels and stone tablets? 

As to me a nice guy? eh, I have had enough sales jobs in my career to feel for good people, hated having to crap on this one but happened when money was a big tight.  I can be a royal asshole to pricks - like the service manager that wanted to do a couple grand extra "really necessary work" on my better half's car. When I said no thanks and he got pushy and said don't you care about her? Why don't you want to do this I responded loudly "Because you are ripping her off".  This was in the service bay at a large dealership, he turned around and said get the car off the lift and walked away.  Good times. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I dumped my landline and went with a VoIP as a backup to my cell. I use Ooma. Its $5 a month for two numbers, "answer machine", answer machine message retrieval remotely via either internet or phone in, call blocking with NOMOROBO database, and I got to keep my old number and have it ported to the VoIP. Literally $5 a month. It works great.

Exactly.  SWMBO calls Australia to talk with relatives and friends all the time.  Cost is 1.3 cents per minute.  About once every 4-5 months, I add $15.00 to her OOMA account for overseas calls.  Told her if she wants to call and talk to someone, just do it.  

For poor cell reception, Verizon provides VZ Wi-Fi which ports my cell to a wireless network signal whenever that signal is stronger than the cell signal.  As I pull into the driveway, my cell switches to VZ wireless automatically.  

As to insurance, USAA. Been with them since I was 18.  Not always the cheapest but always provides great customer service.  As the ads say, I'm a customer for life.  They have paid out almost $200K in claims for cars and houses over the years.  Only my boat insurance is not with USAA as they don't insure them.  

10 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

If ATT or anyone else has fiber optic you can get internet and VOIP for phone and good quality.  If they don't bundle a deal there are several that send the little box and it's $10/month with no contract.  I see PB has more info - as long as you have a solid internet connection VOIP is the way to go.  Even ways to deal with Fax. 

That's a good point I neglected to mention. I am on fiber optic with consistently good speeds. I have no idea how it would perform on another type connection.

2 hours ago, Windward said:

Amica...  20 years as a customer and treated very poorly.  Truly dreadful treatment, and I wasn't even asking them for any money!

That said, find any insurance company and you will find people who are grumpy.

Still...  Amica sucks.

Back to the damp vehicle.  I like the race car idea.  

Curious.... I had Amica for 30 plus years, with excellent service, and not a blink when I had a claim....

Then I spent some time out of the country, came back to Florida, and they wouldn't talk to me until I'd been insured by someone else for a year.... After that year with the lizard (Bad experiences) Amica picked me back up like a long lost son, and have treated me like gold ever since.... And at a considerably lower rate than the lizard.

2 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Exactly.  SWMBO calls Australia to talk with relatives and friends all the time.  Cost is 1.3 cents per minute.  About once every 4-5 months, I add $15.00 to her OOMA account for overseas calls.  Told her if she wants to call and talk to someone, just do it.  

For poor cell reception, Verizon provides VZ Wi-Fi which ports my cell to a wireless network signal whenever that signal is stronger than the cell signal.  As I pull into the driveway, my cell switches to VZ wireless automatically.  

As to insurance, USAA. Been with them since I was 18.  Not always the cheapest but always provides great customer service.  As the ads say, I'm a customer for life.  They have paid out almost $200K in claims for cars and houses over the years.  Only my boat insurance is not with USAA as they don't insure them.  

I was with USAA until recently. They were going to TRIPLE our insurance to put my new driver son on. GEICO was the same with a teenager on the policy and USAA was without and GECIO would have been about 40% what USAA was charging if it was just the two of us. WTF :angry: I think you can't stay with one for too long.

I had Allstate and they were the *worst company ever* if you had a claim.

Daily routine with my BMW in the local shop because the dealer said HELL NO GTFO once they knew it was an Allstate job:

Shop: The Allstate adjuster wants us to use these fake Chinese parts that don't even fit.

Allstate: Your mechanics are mean. They hurt my feelings and I am taking the rest of the day off.

1 minute ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I was with USAA until recently. They were going to TRIPLE our insurance to put my new driver son on. GEICO was the same with a teenager on the policy and USAA was without and GECIO would have been about 40% what USAA was charging if it was just the two of us. WTF :angry: I think you can't stay with one for too long.

I had Allstate and they were the *worst company ever* if you had a claim.

Daily routine with my BMW in the local shop because the dealer said HELL NO GTFO once they knew it was an Allstate job:

Shop: The Allstate adjuster wants us to use these fake Chinese parts that don't even fit.

Allstate: Your mechanics are mean. They hurt my feelings and I am taking the rest of the day off.

I've had Allstate for 20+ years. Got everything including the boat. Never had a claim........I've heard the stories about others with the problem as well. I hope that won't be the case when I need one but.........I think they all suck. I stay with them because the bundled deal is very well priced and the boat insurance is unbelievably well priced. $458 a year for $300K of full coverage.

Just now, kent_island_sailor said:

We had one car claim and one homeowner claim and the service could not possibly have been worse.

Sigh...........whats the old expression about service? It needs to be inexpensive, rapid, and quality. You can only have two out of three. Maybe I won't ever need to file a claim and I'll continue to be happy about the low cost..................:unsure:

3 hours ago, Point Break said:

You are way more plugged in than we are, between 55 hours a week at work, and managing 16 rentals, I don't have time yet to learn all that new fangled stuff!

The GEICO affiliated body shop estimate is $2,326.24, of which I pay a $500 deductible, less an "Appearance Allowance" of $200., for Net Cost of $2,026.24.  

WTF is an Appearance Allowance?  I guess as long as I can be assured of coverage for problems later on with a root cause of this incident, I let them fix the car.  The only thing that bothers me, is that the car sat for two weeks after the flood event, because we were travelling abroad, and not in a position to deal with this, until our return.  In hindsight, I should have left the key in the car for them to pickup the day after, but since it drove normally, I did not do that.  

Details are all fluid change, clean, inspect brakes and lubed,  replace speakers in doors, clean seats, replace carpet, complete prep to pre-loss condition.  Disinfect and treat floor and sill plates.  I don't know what R&I means, but they are doing that to the seats, seat tracks and rockers and trim panels. 

2 minutes ago, Mike in Seattle said:

? Remove & Inspect ?

Remove & Install.

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

seats, seat tracks and rockers and trim panel

, could be either, I guess.

? remove inspect for trapped dead fish, muddy electronics, ?? ,, reinstall if ok replace if not ??

Good Luck with this whole thing, backstay

Adjusters answers to my questions:

"#1   yes  the   removal of  door  panel  for  full detailing  and  metal treatment is listed  .

#2  through  the  ARX  program you have a  lifetime  guarantee  on all the  repairs  and  clm regarding the  water  -- you will get that in writing

They  will provide  you with a  scan of the electronics  ,I will be  out to review  the vehicle again once it is all apart --  but the  full interior is to be removed  so the  areas  can be treated  -- and  seat tracks  replaced if not able to clean properly ---

They have an open door policy so should  you ever want to stop in and inspect feel free ."

Sounds like they have covered all the bases, does not appear to be any downside??

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Adjusters answers to my questions:

"#1   yes  the   removal of  door  panel  for  full detailing  and  metal treatment is listed  .

#2  through  the  ARX  program you have a  lifetime  guarantee  on all the  repairs  and  clm regarding the  water  -- you will get that in writing

They  will provide  you with a  scan of the electronics  ,I will be  out to review  the vehicle again once it is all apart --  but the  full interior is to be removed  so the  areas  can be treated  -- and  seat tracks  replaced if not able to clean properly ---

They have an open door policy so should  you ever want to stop in and inspect feel free ."

Sounds like they have covered all the bases, does not appear to be any downside??

Only problem I can see is the Carfax will reflect flood damage so you will likely have a permanent reduction in resale value.  

5 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Only problem I can see is the Carfax will reflect flood damage so you will likely have a permanent reduction in resale value.  

Understood.  The dealer had no problem taking my Crosstrek in trade, after it had received a $5,000.00 reconstruction, after rolling backwards into the same creek bed, when it was bone dry 2 years ago.  That creek just eats up Subarus!!

I would see what the dealer will give you in trade-in after the repair. If it is not the normal trade-in you might have a claim against the reduced value. The car will be VERY hard to sell and IMHO is likely to have ongoing issues.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I would see what the dealer will give you in trade-in after the repair. If it is not the normal trade-in you might have a claim against the reduced value. The car will be VERY hard to sell and IMHO is likely to have ongoing issues.

#2  through  the  ARX  program you have a  lifetime  guarantee  on all the  repairs  and  clm regarding the  water  -- you will get that in writing.

I don't believe I have the option of them totalling and using GAP insurance to replace, so I will live with it.  It's just a car.... And if I did have the option, how do I know that the replacement used car, with 30k miles, does not have something untoward, but not reported, in its' history?

They will disassemble and clean and dry anywhere water got in, and I will inspect it, when it is all apart.

Sure, it might be hard to sell to a private party, but I don't believe it will effect dealer trade-in, and if it does, well that's life?

24 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

The car will be VERY hard to sell and IMHO is likely to have ongoing issues.

that would be my fear too. they kind of screwed you by not totaling your totaled car.

3 minutes ago, derelicte said:

that would be my fear too. they kind of screwed you by not totaling your totaled car.

Meh...   What are my alternatives?  Sometimes shit happens, and in the big picture, this is but a trifle...

Per Cal20Sailor above:

"Had two cars flood to about the seat level.  DO NOT DRIVE until the trans fluid is swapped.  Both transmissions failed within a month.  Other than that, the cars were fine and made many more years."

A car is not "totalled", if it works fine for many more years........

It *might* work fine. It really depends on what water got where. I have done salvage work on submerged boats and if any current was flowing in any wet wires, you can look forward to oddball electrical issues for a long time to come.

Seriously, ask the dealer what the trade-in value is and if it is less than normal, go after the insurance for the difference.

* we had a plane land in salt water with no damage. Insurance got it dragged ashore and totaled out, too much risk of corrosion and electrical issues popping up.

Good advice, I will ask the Dealer about resale or trade-in, and satisfy myself, before signing off on it.

I would check on the trade in but wouldn't expect favorable news. Why would they take on the issue of disclosure to potential buyers and thus lower vale unless they are going to offer you rock bottom on trade in. I mean ROCK bottom. Since the insurance will warranty the work against future problems I'd probably go ahead especially given your upside down concerns. Perhaps you'll be the one who beats the odds but don't be surprised if you're not. Essentially you're balancing the possibility of the ongoing hassle of mystery shit repeatedly going wrong and taking it in, getting it back, taking it in....and on and on...against the chance you could be the curve beater and it will be fixed and run fine through a normal life expectancy.

One point about the warranty against future problems.........you do know the insurance comany's first response to your assertion that a future problem is related to the flooding and repair will be "no its not...its normal breakage" or related to something they assert you did. They will certainly assert its not due to anything covered by their "promise". Might want to ponder the hassle effect of that likelihood as well. You might be able to tell I do not think insurance companies will ever conduct themselves in a ethical manner...........I acknowledge that bias.

Once again, good luck.

The idea is that if the dealer offers $5K under normal book value, you can go after the insurance for $5K. It is a tricky claim to make, but the worst that can happen is they say GTFO.

Reply from Salesman who sold me the car, and drives an identical one himself:

"Please see below. Please call Jeff at 203-xxx-xxxx. He can check into your purchase history. Will the Title be clean, or will it be a salvage Title? If Title is clean and car fax is clean, not showing flooded, and your WRX is running fine you’ll get regular market value."

I just asked him about the CarFax, because it will surely show this?

It's a different time ... back when I was a kid, our family car, a surplus Denver Police Impala, I think, was flooded up to the seats when parked near Auraria. My mom drove it home with a small swimming pool sloshing around the vehicle, and then us kids thought it was bloody awesome that we could stick our feet in the water while she drove to the TG&Y and the Dolly Madison. As with all cars of the era, the seat belts were lost somewhere in the cavernous depths of the back of the seat crease. After a few days, all traces of the water were gone, boiled into the atmosphere of the high country's 15% relative humidity. No electronics or sensors to foul, that car had steel, not entirely rust-free, and some rubber floor mats in that swamp, maybe some waterlogged Cheerios as a lost penny or two.

She reminded me that after it dried up, I complained that I couldn't play with my little toy candle-driven putt-putt boat while she drove.

Reply from Salesman who sold me the car, and drives an identical one himself:

"Please see below. Please call Jeff at 203-xxx-xxxx. He can check into your purchase history. Will the Title be clean, or will it be a salvage Title? If Title is clean and car fax is clean, not showing flooded, and your WRX is running fine you’ll get regular market value."

I just asked him about the CarFax, because it will surely show this?

My guess the Carfax will reflect the language in the claim/ repair 

I have USAA and from what I understand, on a loss where you are at fault or its an act of god,  you won't get diminished value. 

and when My current car was in an accident,  and i was dealing with the other insurance company, proving diminished value is like trying to ice skate up a hill.  Its all about proving the diminished value.

glad they think they can fix the car and make sure its problem free hope they are succesful

I dont have a crystal ball, but I see subaru and your insurance company going toe toe over warranty issues for the next several years.

yer insurance shall deem that they paid out the Full claim

your only warranty shall be that of the repair company

when something fails in the future you will get little more than finger pointing from anyone

sell it to CarMax or whatever and get it out of yer life

going forward Don't be the guy taking the BIG HIT rolling it off the lot

but then again someone needs to so ....................................

1 hour ago, DA-WOODY said:

yer insurance shall deem that they paid out the Full claim

your only warranty shall be that of the repair company

when something fails in the future you will get little more than finger pointing from anyone

sell it to CarMax or whatever and get it out of yer life

going forward Don't be the guy taking the BIG HIT rolling it off the lot

but then again someone needs to so ....................................

BB - the thing I worry about FOR you in this case is along these lines.  If the repair didn't include a component that fails prematurely from being doused - that nobody is going to be willing to accept that that failure was due to this incident, and you're gonna get stuck.  

Subarus are excellent cars. I had a 2000 Forester that was a rock solid brick...... But it did have under body rust issues, and the o2 sensors, and some dealie with the fuel evaporation system caused thousands of dollars of strife after a brief dunking in the storm named "Sandy".... These issues never affected the driving of the car, just the passing of CT emissions testing....

Just a passing comment.

I have a 2007 Impreza and after 100,000 miles it turned into a boat bucks car in various 1K issues like the catalytic converter cracking and my god the exhaust system is expensive and not remotely rust proof while were past that and its at 120K Fuchs that was expensive but i understand why you want to keep the car

But on to water and our last Chevy Equinox the wife had a fairly minor accident less than 3K which involved the left rear suspension

1. Somehow the boot which lets the e-break cable exit the body under the rear seat carpet area did not make it back in right

2.Nobody really uses the rear seat and over the winter the water got under the carpet and ripened in the spring like the worst leaky basement musty/mold you ever encountered

3.The car got taken completely apart 4 times and even GM got involved as there is this strange rubber costing inside the car and they could just not get the smell out even after doing this crazy Ozone machine with the interior removed and the ozone also did strange things to all the other rubber inside the car 

4. Ultimately the car got traded in with GMs blessing on a new Equinox but that was a two year shit show

1 hour ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

BB - the thing I worry about FOR you in this case is along these lines.  If the repair didn't include a component that fails prematurely from being doused - that nobody is going to be willing to accept that that failure was due to this incident, and you're gonna get stuck.  

I will have my attorney review before I sign off, and make sure that they are ironclad guaranteed. Still asking them to pay the difference, if the CarFax dings the resale or trade-in value.  We shall see.  

EDIT, I'm trying to get them to replace the seats, at least the bottoms that sat in a garage wet for 2 weeks while we were in Europe...

On to Subaru specific issues the seats and carpet gotta go our your screwed 

1.There is just know way a tiny amount of water did not get into the front ,center and rear differentials which should be flushed 

2 The CV boots our pretty good at keeping grease in but not quite as good at keeping water out 

3. All four wheel bearing assembly’s our of similar concern expect there a mofo to take apart and do clean grease due to the way there pressed in so what takes two hours on a boat trailer is a huge ordeal 

4. Every surface that seals things in all these places now has a tiny bit of rust forming 

8 minutes ago, tommays said:

Every surface that seals things in all these places now has a tiny bit of rust forming 

thissis life as we no it............                           :)

1 hour ago, tommays said:

On to Subaru specific issues the seats and carpet gotta go our your screwed 

1.There is just know way a tiny amount of water did not get into the front ,center and rear differentials which should be flushed 

They are doing just that. Changing all of those fluids.

2 The CV boots our pretty good at keeping grease in but not quite as good at keeping water out 

They are being checked out also.

3. All four wheel bearing assembly’s our of similar concern expect there a mofo to take apart and do clean grease due to the way there pressed in so what takes two hours on a boat trailer is a huge ordeal 

The car was flooded for less than 6 hours I reckon, so doubt water found it's way in there.  But, worth addressing with body shop, so thanks for that!!

4. Every surface that seals things in all these places now has a tiny bit of rust forming.

No worse than any car living a normal life, with no indoor garage, in the UK, I reckon? 

And what would you do differently, if you were me?  

They are not going to total it, so I will do my best due diligence to effect the best outcome possible, given the circumstances.  At the end of the day, it's an as new 30k USD, but now a used car, not a Ferrari or an AMG Benz, and it can be easily replaced with another, at a bit of a loss perhaps, but such is life....

While My Subaru is a 2007 it has just not done well with water from normal driving for example all the struts have spring perch’s with drains and for what ever reason the fronts stay open and stuff collects in the rear drains and they become smalI buckets

I was not OCD enough to clean my Strut drains so the rears rusted and failed 

17 hours ago, billy backstay said:

I will have my attorney review before I sign off, and make sure that they are ironclad guaranteed. Still asking them to pay the difference, if the CarFax dings the resale or trade-in value.  We shall see.  

EDIT, I'm trying to get them to replace the seats, at least the bottoms that sat in a garage wet for 2 weeks while we were in Europe...

I found out when I hit a deer w/my Outback last year that there's a "blackbox" in the passenger seat base that controls the airbags, as it needed to be replaced (@ $800) when the airbags went off.  I would think that that should be replaced if your seats were submerged. 

Bottom line is I am SOL!  Best case, the car runs fine for long enough that the diminished value is negligent.  GEICO says I cannot insure myself for devaluation from this event.   They swear six ways from Sunday that I am lifetime covered for any future issues tied to this.  Hoping all will be well, given the short time it was submerged.

I think you’ve covered the distance. Nothing else you could reasonably examine/investigate. Each way forward has up and down possibilities. Drive on and good luck!

keep the stereo Blasting

so you won't be startled by the noise

when 1 or more airbags explode  as yer riding down the road

So Woody, are you suggesting that I park on a sand flat at low tide, and let it be immersed in salt water, so they will have to total it, right?

Can you spell "Insurance Fraud"?

So Woody, are you suggesting that I park on a sand flat at low tide, and let it be immersed in salt water, so they will have to total it, right?

Can you spell "Insurance Fraud"?

No

I suggesting you sell it to the likes of CarMax and Run

do not sell it to anyone unsuspecting 

And Don't be the unsuspecting 

if you had a 1960 CJ5 there would be no worries once serviced properly

the car is no longer what it was, you are just tied to it because of what you owe

cut you ties, cut you loss

git rid if it ASAP

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

No

the car is no longer what it was, you are just tied to it because of what you owe

git rid if it ASAP

Tough love....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

No

git rid if it ASAP

That advice is ridiculous!!  You're suggesting that I take an immediate hit of several thousand dollars, rather that continue to drive the car after repairs have been made. Cal20Sailor's experience with two cars, in same situation, they ran fine for many more years, after transmission was replaced.  My transmission and all other fluids will be changed out, and I expect the car will provide good service for miles and years to come.

Why would CarMax ignore a flood/salvage title? They aren't stupid.

Speaking of insurance fraud, during Isabel a low-lying waterfront community around here evacuated every car. All the good ones went to a lot inland and uphill and every crap car was parked at the beach :lol: