Bigdamdork

Where to buy Teak Strips?

Hey everyone.  

I am starting to redo some of the interior on my boat and have a couple of teak strips that have water damage from a friendly local sea lion who decided to board the boat years ago and didn't care there was a stanchion in the way.  The resulting hole on the deck allowed water to seep in for a while which damaged the teak.  These run the length of the boat up the sides inside.  I pulled  them all down and I'm refinishing and wanted to replace these two.  Problem is I can't seem to find anything remotely close to this.  I'm a ok wood worker so if I could even get like a 10' x 3" x 1" strip I can rip them down and make them work I just can't seem to find any teak that looks like this.  

Long story short....any good teak suppliers you can recommend? 

Thanks!  

Teak Strips.pdf

Locally, (SF Bay area) I have a hard time finding decent 4/4 teak.  The better quality teak (color, grain selection, etc) is usually easier to find in 5/4 or thicker.  So for quality work, I often have to resaw thicker material or end up with a lot of $$ turned to sawdust.

40 minutes ago, Stigaro said:

Are you sure that's teak?  Looks like oak to me.

Looks pretty oakish to me, too.

That is a great question.  As much as I say I like working with wood I'm no expert.  It definitely has more grain than any teak I have ever seen, I just assumed if it was on a boat it was teak. 

Let me start to explore this possibility.  Sorry for being so stupid and thanks for the advice......and for potentially saving me alot of $$ if I can use oak over teak.

8 minutes ago, Bigdamdork said:

That is a great question.  As much as I say I like working with wood I'm no expert.  It definitely has more grain than any teak I have ever seen, I just assumed if it was on a boat it was teak. 

Let me start to explore this possibility.  Sorry for being so stupid and thanks for the advice......and for potentially saving me alot of $$ if I can use oak over teak.

You should be able to easily find oak that would match. And it's pretty cheap in comparison to teak too, so you could afford to test it. You might want to check a flooring store as you might find a prefinished T&G oak flooring that will match.

Looks like oak with a standard “golden oak” stain to me. I agree with the idea of taking a sample to a flooring shop to compare. Oak is about 10 or 20% the price of teak around here so a bit of a lucky break really. Good luck with the project!

17 hours ago, casc27 said:

Looks pretty oakish to me, too.

I was thinking the same when I saw it.  That's oak grain.

Be careful sourcing the oak.  If you have a choice or can find it, you want white oak.  It's FAR more resistant to moisture damage.  Red oak is much more porous and will rot more quicky.

SA to the rescue!