Sign in to follow this  
Point Break

Songs/Groups that Suck but You Still Played Them

Flip side of the other best musicians thread. Guilty Pleasure some call them. Songs that absolutely do suck...........that you still enjoyed and played.............maybe even purchased.....

Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs Wooly Bully?

The Knack My Sharona. Sounded like a band who should be playing in a free concert in the church basement. But it was a huge hit. 

• Like 3

:lol:

So Manfred Mann really didn't suck but..............this did........and I owned a 45 rpm of this............

Surf music in general was a pretty sucky genre... but I still turn this up loud when I hear it...

• Like 1

That cheesy Farfisa in California Sun reminded me of another lost surf tune. I still have 3 or 4 Ventures LPs. They weren' great but I sure listened to them a lot coming up ...

24 minutes ago, Point Break said:

So Manfred Mann really didn't suck but..............this did........and I owned a 45 rpm of this............

Tell the truth Point - you wore out a 45 of that.  :D

40 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Tell the truth Point - you wore out a 45 of that.  :D

Well..............................that and the Dave Clark 5..............:rolleyes:

I also watched Shindig........twice a week.......and Where the Action Is.......and Hullabaloo.........

I cheated but each one put a smile on my face when I heard it again...BTW...just the right amount of time for each :D...LOL...The Lemon Pipers really thought they had made it...

• Like 1

Who didn't have a copy of this? "Frustrated women had to be in by 12 o'clock" :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Mitch Rider and the Detroit Wheels.............CC Rider or Devil with the Blue Dress On?

3 minutes ago, chester said:

anything by Tommy James and the Shondells

Oh god they sucked.................and the high school dances with the "psychedelic goo on the overhead projector" :lol:

How about In A Gadda Da Vida?....the LONG VERSION..............

Didn't suck but possibly the single most inexplicable one hit wonder of them all.

Great, raspy voice, pretty good "hook" song, gorgeous ....

And still didn't make it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Didn't suck but possibly the single most inexplicable one hit wonder of them all.

Great, raspy voice, pretty good "hook" song, gorgeous ....

And still didn't make it.

I do not disagree with that..............

10 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Mitch Rider and the Detroit Wheels.............CC Rider or Devil with the Blue Dress On?

They were staying at a motel next to a county park in Miami where we were playing a pick up game of touch football , they came over and threw the ball around...all these songs bring back fond memories of simpler times when there always seemed excitement  was in the air

• Like 1

Here you go......some Pink Floyd with the light show goo that was so popular in any high school dance in the early 60's..........

5 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Proof we were not the only country with the trippy senseless shit that passed for music.............:lol:

Anything by these idiots..............although Nesmith turned out to have some talent.........and I suppose so did Dolenz.

8 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Anything by these idiots..............although Nesmith turned out to have some talent.........and I suppose so did Dolenz.

I knew/know the guy who played most of the drums on the Monkees tours in the 2000's. He said that Dolenz was a "competent" drummer, but his voice was what he really used to effect. Nesmith was a very good guitarist, and a pretty good song writer..... Peter Tork..... I dunno... Davy Jones was just a poster boy.

BTW..... Zappa loved the Monkees.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Point Break said:

An Army buddy of mine named his boat (catamaran in Northeast, MD) "Doo Wah Diddy Diddy".  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I knew/know the guy who played most of the drums on the Monkees tours in the 2000's. He said that Dolenz was a "competent" drummer, but his voice was what he really used to effect. Nesmith was a very good guitarist, and a pretty good song writer..... Peter Tork..... I dunno... Davy Jones was just a poster boy.

Yeah, Nesmith had a couple songwriting hits to his credit as well. He wrote Ronstadt's "Different Drum" among others.

2 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

My contribution - from a few years later: 

Good example........it was sorta okay..........the first 100 times you heard it..............or saw the flower pots..........

Ok if its songs that suck that are a guilty pleasure but you still played them why's everybody stuck in the 60s? There's tons of em out there right now. 

If you guys absolutely can't stand to listen to it, this video does fairly well with no sound as well...so there's that.

Just now, fufkin said:

Ok if its songs that suck that are a guilty pleasure but you still played them why's everybody stuck in the 60s? There's tons of em out there right now. 

If you guys absolutely can't stand to listen to it, this video does fairly well with no sound as well...so there's that.

LOL...I went to a big wedding last month in Indiana with lots of NYC friends of the bride and groom, that is where they live, anyway the band played lots of similar sounding shit and as soon as a few bars of they next song started the place went wild and they all bust out in the same moves...they had a blast I felt like I was from Mars

Okay if we need some stuff not in the 60's..how about this one........

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Oh well done.........................but I see your Macarana and raise you Gangnam Style...........

Before this about 20 years ago there was another oriental with a miserably funny video...Eddie something ?...can someone find that

4 hours ago, Point Break said:

Here you go......some Pink Floyd with the light show goo that was so popular in any high school dance in the early 60's..........

The early 60's?

I guess you really were there. :D

That track scared my son when he was around 3 - monsters I guess.

• Like 1

Roadrunners, Chevelle's, Cobrajet Fairlanes, Camaros and 8 tracks

Pat O'Briens 4am and everybody sings American Pie.  I remember buying a German guy a Hurricane and then of course he had to buy me one, shit turns out he was merchant marine and when he passed out had enough buds to carry him out.  It's been some years but more than once walked out with daybreak coming while singing that still.  good times.

Never bought this but is one that just sticks with ya.  Speaking of, the Monkees - can anybody not sing along with last train to clarksville?

8 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Speaking of, the Monkees - can anybody not sing along with last train to clarksville?

Not out loud...............

9 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Pat O'Briens 4am and everybody sings American Pie.  I remember buying a German guy a Hurricane and then of course he had to buy me one, shit turns out he was merchant marine and when he passed out had enough buds to carry him out.  It's been some years but more than once walked out with daybreak coming while singing that still.  good times.

Never bought this but is one that just sticks with ya.  Speaking of, the Monkees - can anybody not sing along with last train to clarksville?

1 minute ago, Point Break said:

Not out loud...............

Yes. I can. And it's a song about being inducted into the army.

It's a very sad song if you really listen to it.

+1 on Do Wah Diddy, it was one of the first non Beatle/Stones 45's I ever bought.

Respectfully submit the following for consideration of the learned masses

Ball room Blitz by Sweet, Tiger feet By Mud, Come on feel the Noise by Slade, Urban spaceman by Bonzo dog do dah band, Rubber Bullets 10cc

17 minutes ago, vibroman said:

+1 on Do Wah Diddy, it was one of the first non Beatle/Stones 45's I ever bought.

Respectfully submit the following for consideration of the learned masses

Ball room Blitz by Sweet, Tiger feet By Mud, Come on feel the Noise by Slade, Urban spaceman by Bonzo dog do dah band, Rubber Bullets 10cc

I wish I had that ole stack of 45's I amassed as a teenager. There was some pretty good shit in that stack. We didn't have a record player until around 1962. We didn't even have a radio before that, pop and I used to go sit in the car to listen to fights with the boxer Ingemar Johnansson, listened to the Patterson fight in 59 sitting in the car. Mom was 1st generation swede and pop adopted her homeland culture. Anyway, in 1964 they bought a big console stereo and gave me the Sears Silvertone portable. The exact one - even the color - is in the pic below. Man I was in frigging heaven and started pouring my allowance into 45's (except the time I bought those cuban heel boots :P). Wish I had kept those.............the 45's and the boots.......

317159ec55b9ca82e4c4b4f897875554.jpg

Just now, Mrleft8 said:

Actually, I love this song, and often sing myself to sleep with it.....

1 hour ago, See Level said:

Roadrunners, Chevelle's, Cobrajet Fairlanes, Camaros and 8 tracks

I liked all of them but that song made my teeth hurt from the first time I heard it.

38 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

10CC did NOT suck.

• Like 1

Sha na na played Woodstock!? I don’t even know what to say......I did not know that. I cannot imagine it was well received.....

2 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Sha na na played Woodstock!? I don’t even know what to say......I did not know that. I cannot imagine it was well received.....

They were YUUUUUUGE!!!!

Bowser with his one bicep was a hit wid da chix.

8 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

I still like it....

Written by Paul Simon

1 minute ago, footlong said:

Written by Paul Simon

Good god! I was just about to post this!

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

Yes. I can. And it's a song about being inducted into the army.

It's a very sad song if you really listen to it.

Man, when I enlisted it was CCR, Stones, Temptations......lots of good stuff.....

6 minutes ago, footlong said:

These guys crack me up

Thank god I missed them!

2 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Man, when I enlisted it was CCR, Stones, Temptations......lots of good stuff.....

GOOD MORNING VIETNAM!

It was Talking Heads, Tom Petty, and the Dead Kennedy's in my day....  But that was another decade.

15 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

They were YUUUUUUGE!!!!

Bowser with his one bicep was a hit wid da chix.

I’m stunned.....and a little nauseous.......

3 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

GOOD MORNING VIETNAM!

He was a bit before my service....but yes the radio station was still there...changed by his contribution......you know he just died this past year.....

The song that makes me want to burn down the music and film industries every time I hear it.

But the absolute worst is That moronic Canuck's: My Fart Will Go On.  Wasn't too bad, until the 5000th time.  After that first week it was released, I could never listen to it again without the red haze.

• Like 1

I intensely dislike Celine Dion music...........however I could never express that in front of Mrs PB..................

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

10CC did NOT suck.

True but Rubber Bullets did.

7 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

How much do I loathe this band? They toured Australia in 1974 and my gf at the time was going to see their Melbourne concert with her younger sister until there was a riot at the Adelaide concert the night before. Her father would not allow the younger sister to go so I got roped in so the ticket wouldn't be wasted and I was supposed to take care of the gf in case of any trouble at the concert. When I arrived at Festival Hall I was just about the only male in the building apart from a bunch of bemused bouncers charged with keeping the screaming hordes of young girls under some semblance of control. The music, if I could call it that, was excreble, truly atrocious, not even bad garage band standard but there probably wasn't a dry seat in the house, apart from mine that is. 44 years later and I still feel the utter humiliation and shame of having to admit I actually saw  BCR live in concert.

They were named after the town that the Gougeon Brothers operated in - so there's that.

On 10/9/2018 at 11:02 AM, Willin' said:

That cheesy Farfisa in California Sun reminded me of another lost surf tune. I still have 3 or 4 Ventures LPs. They weren' great but I sure listened to them a lot coming up ...

the ventures have never sucked..