Sign in to follow this  
LeKa

Cockpit table design for 40.7?

Looking after a 40.7 and we want to make a cockpit table that is easily removable, but sturdy when in place.

Any ideas on what it should look like, attachment points etc. etc.?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Traveller in front of the wheel and the absence of a wheel pedestle on the 40.7 plus removable requirement reduces the design options.

1. Custom folding table top or off the shelf folding top with tube legs and recessed floor mounts with caps, though this will necessitate some triming/falsework below.

https://www.marineteak.co.uk/all-tables/nautic-star-wing-54

2. Storage can be a pain . If you have a GRP cockpit floor or happy to remove existing then building in a raised teak floor with a concealable/folding table an alternative.

http://www.casamare.fr/table-escamotable.php

636454-5.jpg

9536fc790b77bdfd5982b097c8ebb952.png

wing3.gif

22037-3551615 (1).jpg

We have a small cockpit with the mainsheet/traveler in front of the wheel and pedestal guard.  I saw this on SailLife Youtube channel and finally got around to installing it.  It works great, is removable, and the mounting bracket is very low profile so when the table is not set up you don't even know its there.  Its also nice because it articulates so you can move it about where you need it. 

I have the mounting plate on the inboard side of the starboard cockpit seat about halfway between the traveler and the companionway (much like the picture below).  Everything I needed to mount it came in the box. The hardest part was deciding where to put the mounting plate. It was shockingly one of the easiest modification installs I've done but you do have to buy or make the tabletop yourself.

So far I've just made a prototype from MDF and used it a bit over the last part of summer here.  I know what I will change, and will make the permanent top over the winter.

When not in use, you just slide the the assembly off the mounting bracket and the pieces stow on themselves.  You end up with a kit about 3" thick, 20" long, and 10" wide.  The overall length and width will be a function of the top you buy/make.  I store ours in the cockpit locker.

I believe the manufacturer is Scandinavia.  The link below is to a US distributor but I see links to other suppliers too.  I bought mine off some marine distributor in Florida.   

https://www.lagunusa.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwxvbdBRC0ARIsAKmec9a9_qSFTmbfuLg5GKCcaWgpJAAYtPebJaQrTQmAvux3tldgwQtWUxUaAir7EALw_wcB

P.S. - I have no affiliation.

Image result for lagun table bracket

Thanks for the ideas above.

Pasport111, yep, bit small for what we were looking for, but I do like the Casa Mare.

Will need to look at what we can do to the floor of the cockpit, but very nice.

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, LeKa said:

.... but I do like the Casa Mare.

Yes it is a good solution for boats from the  narrower aft, smaller cockpits and bridgedecks era . A permanent table makes cockpit too constrained and why many OEM tables get removed by even beercan racers. Finding a place to store a removable one is also harder than you think even in a big boat and difficult to mount unless there is engine/equip space below.

Being French they also have a standard for a lot of Beneteau models, incl yours as shown in pic.

Beneteau-First_40_7-table_cockpit_escamotable-baissee_1-lattes_teck_non_jointives-casamare.jpg

Beneteau-First_40_7-table_cockpit_escamotable-baissee_2-lattes_teck_non_jointives-casamare.jpg

Beneteau-First_40_7-table_cockpit_escamotable-levee-lattes_teck_non_jointives-casamare.jpg

We have a 47.7 with essentially the same cockpit.  We just have two small folding tables we can use for cocktails, but we tend not to eat meals in the cockpit.   We eat dinner below for sure.  That could be due to the fact that at dinner time here in Canada, if you aren't below, you are dinner for the mosquitoes.  Post dinner, they tend to leave, and we can enjoy a cleansing ale or two in the cockpit.

Those tables that fold into the floor look cool, but I bet cleaning everything that gets under there will grow old.  That boat with the photo of the two pedestal table, again looks nice, but I bet many toes have been crunched on those raised fittings.  I remember seeing a similar style of mounting, but they had the receivers mounted in the top of a foot-block that went the length of the cockpit with nice smooth edges.

13 hours ago, jacrider said:

I remember seeing a similar style of mounting, but they had the receivers mounted in the top of a foot-block that went the length of the cockpit with nice smooth edges.

Good idea and doubles as something to brace feet on when things get tippy.