Sign in to follow this  
random

Welcome to the future: Hurricane Michael slams Florida

1 minute ago, Saorsa said:

I gave you all a link where you could find population growth by county or state.Population has been moving to the beaches since the 60s and 70s.  Quite a lot of them second homes.  Go look at Mexico Beach on Google Earth.  It's about four blocks wide from the water with a few miles of marsh and agricultural land behind it.

People are moving to barrier Islands because they choose to.  To my mind, it's stupid but, it's their choice.

And what has that to do with sea level rise or the increase in storm frequency and potency?

Amazing what building code implementation post Andrew has done for structural integrity in Florida. We see these aerial videos of what looks like a war zone with the occasional fully intact structure standing in the midst of the rubble like nothing happened. 

As a builder in NY, I have a love/hate relationship with the code book. Pain in the ass, but it works.

10 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Anyone who still denies global climate change is an idiot, and a dangerous one.

But it's more dangerous than that.  There are those who just lie, like Exxon. 

They pay others to lie, it's a large and lucrative industry.

5 minutes ago, Lifted Tack said:

And what has that to do with sea level rise or the increase in storm frequency and potency?

It explains a lot of the damage, doesn't it?

Adaptation means not doing stupid things.

7 hours ago, warbird said:

He stood on the shore, the disciples had fished all night long with no success...…...

Where's the punchline?

8 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Anyone who still denies global climate change is an idiot, and a dangerous one.

As is anyone who listens to Randumb. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lifted Tack said:

Sea level rise? 

24 minutes ago, random said:

They pay others to lie, it's a large and lucrative industry.

Just like the climate change industry. 

12 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

and yeah, the pollution of the oceans has to get priority if we are going to survive on anything other than SG.

It would be nice if you and your equally ignorant elk actually *read* the book rather than referring to the movie.

Here's a free hint - Harry Harrison. Make Room Make Room. A dystopian sci-fi novel.

You work in a library. Get a copy, read it and then you won't appear to be so bloody uneducated.

3 hours ago, Grrr... said:

I will laugh my ass off if "WXCHASING.COM" and Brandon Clement doesn't get the government going after him.  I'm just thinking out loud, but I'd be shocked if they received airforce authorization to fly their drone over a military base.  Just sayin.

Sounds like a Robinson R66 but not a drone, skids visible and crew can be heard. 

1 hour ago, Sean said:

IMG_4811.PNG

Shit.  Nothing is worse than disturbed weather.  The bitching and whining and crabbing.  It's miserable. 

3 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Stilt houses do indeed move..... and very easily.

Well, yeah, sometimes.

Although my office is a stilt house and was almost completely undamaged by hurricane Charlie. Built in the 30's. No code I'd guess. No storm shutters either, just a heavy dose of luck.

My neighbor's almost new home took a tornado hit and the pretty copper roof wound up in pieces in nearby trees.

20 hours ago, benwynn said:

Don't listen to the media.

Don't listen to scientists..

The effect of pumping 40 billion tons of CO2 into the air every year? 

Zero.

Sometimes I think this iteration of intelligent life on this planet just isn't wired right.  Earth will shake us off like a cold.  Maybe the next iteration will do better. No factions with their own version of a magic man in the sky to kill each other over. No invented leaders telling them to ignore the facts around them. 

I say we just burn the place up and die off to let the next group dig up our fossils millions of years from now. Maybe they will be able to assemble enough pieces to reveal what idiots we were and learn something from it.

As a species we really don't deserve the place.

If all the insects were to disappear from the Earth, within fifty years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within fifty years all forms of life would flourish.

- Jonas Salk

Bravo.

3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

As is anyone who listens to Randumb. 

you're one of the 'hold outs', that puts you in moron territory on this issue. 

2 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

It would be nice if you and your equally ignorant elk actually *read* the book rather than referring to the movie.

Here's a free hint - Harry Harrison. Make Room Make Room. A dystopian sci-fi novel.

You work in a library. Get a copy, read it and then you won't appear to be so bloody uneducated.

her 'ilk' are 'educated' enough to know that the golden rule is to not shit in the nest, 'tho.

8 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

He's a ver well educated, for a caribou.

Just saw the news, 1500+ dead yellow people is so last week, even though more are still dying.

But a Hurricane kills just a few rich white cunts and ...

26 minutes ago, warbird said:

What happened 51 years ago?

It was a little over 49yrs and I assume he was rounding.  A little bitch named Camille.  

3 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

It was a little over 49yrs and I assume he was rounding.  A little bitch named Camille.  

I was a little boy when she hit - the eastern shore of the Chesapeake wasn't the worst of it, but, it was pretty ugly.   I thought it was fun swimming in the living room, and couldn't understand why my Dad was so pissed off at me being in the way as he moved furniture and heaters upstairs. 

4 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Was that before global warming?

On 10/11/2018 at 1:00 PM, BillDBastard said:

Hotter? Modern records? Since when, the mini ice age? Define "modern records" then add some perspective as to why you draw a correlation between the past decade's tropical storms relative to prior time frames decade by decade. Not so sure it is gonna jump off the page as 100% conclusive.

Ever heard of this thing called "science"?

By studying all sorts of things, from the rings of fossil trees to the background radiation of dust entrained in ancient ice, we can draw up a fairly accurate time/temp graph of the Earth's surface.

Here's a comic that puts things in perspective.

https://xkcd.com/1732/

Read & learn........ or not, you pick

-DSK

21 hours ago, Sean said:

Amazing what building code implementation post Andrew has done for structural integrity in Florida. We see these aerial videos of what looks like a war zone with the occasional fully intact structure standing in the midst of the rubble like nothing happened. 

As a builder in NY, I have a love/hate relationship with the code book. Pain in the ass, but it works.

Agreed.... It always amuses me when people say "they don't build them like the used to" They're right of course but not in how they mean it.

21 hours ago, Saorsa said:

I gave you all a link where you could find population growth by county or state.Population has been moving to the beaches since the 60s and 70s.  Quite a lot of them second homes.  Go look at Mexico Beach on Google Earth.  It's about four blocks wide from the water with a few miles of marsh and agricultural land behind it.

People are moving to barrier Islands because they choose to.  To my mind, it's stupid but, it's their choice.

They need to provide a clean up deposit instead of expecting federal aid if it isn’t a sole residence.   

35 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Ever heard of this thing called "science"?

By studying all sorts of things, from the rings of fossil trees to the background radiation of dust entrained in ancient ice, we can draw up a fairly accurate time/temp graph of the Earth's surface.

Here's a comic that puts things in perspective.

https://xkcd.com/1732/

Read & learn........ or not, you pick

-DSK

That's what you get when you graft a high resolution recorded temperature record on the end of a low resolution proxy record.  Don't be a dupe.

Just now, Dog said:

That's what you get when you graft a high resolution recorded temperature record on the end of a low resolution proxy record.  Don't be a dupe.

Don't be a fool.

5 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Don't be a fool.

Exactly.

11 hours ago, random said:

Just saw the news, 1500+ dead yellow people is so last week, even though more are still dying.

But a Hurricane kills just a few rich white cunts and ...

I agree with your outrage at this imbalance, however those ‘yellow people’ as you refer to them (I prefer Indonesians) are amongst the worlds worst polluters, burning thousands of square miles of Forrest each year to plant palm oil trees. So just like your claim that tropical storms are targeting the GOP states, are earthquakes now targeting Asian polluters? Or is it a conspiracy? 

6 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

I agree with your outrage at this imbalance, however those ‘yellow people’ as you refer to them (I prefer Indonesians) are amongst the worlds worst polluters, burning thousands of square miles of Forrest each year to plant palm oil trees. So just like your claim that tropical storms are targeting the GOP states, are earthquakes now targeting Asian polluters? Or is it a conspiracy? 

Gaia is alive and well, but she is a bitch.  She fucking hates dynamite fishing.

6 hours ago, Dog said:

I taught metrology to the  National Bureau of Standards.... now the NBST, not to be confused with the NTSB.

In other words, not a dupe, thanks

-DSK

I'm waiting for Trump to throw out paper towels, and say "Isn't this great! Only 16 dead!."

And then in two weeks come back and say "Where'd all these 30 other dead people come from? The failing New York Times?! "

9 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I taught metrology to the  National Bureau of Standards.... now the NBST, not to be confused with the NTSB.

In other words, not a dupe, thanks

-DSK

I would hope not.

BTW....Have you found that lie you accused me of yet?

Hurricane Michael’s sudden intensification fits a recent pattern. 

The unforgettable thing about record-setting Hurricane Michael will always be how rapidly it became a near-Category 5 storm, perfectly timed for a sneak attack on the Florida Panhandle. 

On Tuesday morning, Floridians knew a storm was coming but not how strong it would be. As of 5 a.m., Michael was a strong Category 1 hurricane with a minimum pressure of 973 millibars, a measure of atmospheric pressure indicating that air is rising in the storm, pulling winds toward its center. The official forecast took the storm up to mid-Category 3 at landfall. 

But 24 hours later, Michael was already far stronger: It now had 140 mph winds and a pressure falling sharply. The wind speed increased 45 mph in just 24 hours, representing a leap from Category 1 to Category 4 — and the storm wasn’t done intensifying. 

Pressure would ultimately fall to 919 millibars, one of the lowest measures of any hurricane at landfall in the United States — and the winds responded by increasing to 155 mph right as the storm struck the coast. This was a borderline Category 5 storm, and it’s clear that the only reason Michael didn’t quite cross that threshold was because it was crossing beaches by that time instead. 

This process of “rapid intensification” — extremely dangerous near a coastline — is something we keep seeing lately. Technically, it is defined by the National Hurricane Center as an increase in wind speeds of 35 mph or more in 24 hours. 

Read more (Includes video): https://www.washingtonpost.com/energy-environment/2018/10/11/hyper-hurricanes-warm-waters-fueled-hurricane-michaels-sudden-strengthening-that-fits-recent-pattern/?utm_term=.cf26b78ad0aa 

12 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Hurricane Michael’s sudden intensification fits a recent pattern. 

The unforgettable thing about record-setting Hurricane Michael will always be how rapidly it became a near-Category 5 storm, perfectly timed for a sneak attack on the Florida Panhandle. 

On Tuesday morning, Floridians knew a storm was coming but not how strong it would be. As of 5 a.m., Michael was a strong Category 1 hurricane with a minimum pressure of 973 millibars, a measure of atmospheric pressure indicating that air is rising in the storm, pulling winds toward its center. The official forecast took the storm up to mid-Category 3 at landfall. 

But 24 hours later, Michael was already far stronger: It now had 140 mph winds and a pressure falling sharply. The wind speed increased 45 mph in just 24 hours, representing a leap from Category 1 to Category 4 — and the storm wasn’t done intensifying. 

Pressure would ultimately fall to 919 millibars, one of the lowest measures of any hurricane at landfall in the United States — and the winds responded by increasing to 155 mph right as the storm struck the coast. This was a borderline Category 5 storm, and it’s clear that the only reason Michael didn’t quite cross that threshold was because it was crossing beaches by that time instead. 

This process of “rapid intensification” — extremely dangerous near a coastline — is something we keep seeing lately. Technically, it is defined by the National Hurricane Center as an increase in wind speeds of 35 mph or more in 24 hours. 

Read more (Includes video): https://www.washingtonpost.com/energy-environment/2018/10/11/hyper-hurricanes-warm-waters-fueled-hurricane-michaels-sudden-strengthening-that-fits-recent-pattern/?utm_term=.cf26b78ad0aa 

Those are numbers. Numbers indicating measurement by scientists. That’s not the kind of stuff we can trust. Can you find an opinion piece somewhere, so we can really know what happened?

3 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Those are numbers. Numbers indicating measurement by scientists. That’s not the kind of stuff we can trust. Can you find an opinion piece somewhere, so we can really know what happened?

As Michael Chewed Up FL, GOP Senators Lined Up To Lie About UN Report, Threats To Their Own States

But on Wednesday, as Gulf Coast’s warmer-than-normal waters supercharged Michael into the most intense hurricane in U.S. history to make landfall in October, an array of GOP senators dismissed the report’s whole notion of aggressive climate action. “It’s totally unrealistic,” Sen. John Kennedy (R-LA) told the Huffington Post. “They must have parachuted in from another planet.” 

<snip> 

Barring the kind of policies proposed in the UN climate report — policies that Trump, Kennedy, and his colleagues uniformly oppose — New Orleans is all but certain to be slammed again and ultimately devastated by climate change. "They might as well be calling on me to sprout wings and fly to Canada for the summer,” Sen. Roger Wicker (R-MS) told HuffPost. Mississippi was also devastated by Katrina’s 20-foot storm surge. 

“How is that new? They’ve said the same thing before,” said Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL). Hours after Rubio made these remarks, Hurricane Michael leveled entire cities in his state. 
Like a patient with worsening emphysema who smokes two packs of cigarettes a day, but keeps ignoring the doctors warnings, Rubio keeps dismissing the science. 

During the 2016 campaign, Rubio was dismissive of the dangers that climate change pose to Florida, and he asserted that efforts to fight it are “just not good public policy.” Miami Beach mayor Philip Levine said candidate Rubio was “100% using the language of a climate change denier.” 

25 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

As Michael Chewed Up FL, GOP Senators Lined Up To Lie About UN Report, Threats To Their Own States

But on Wednesday, as Gulf Coast’s warmer-than-normal waters supercharged Michael into the most intense hurricane in U.S. history to make landfall in October, an array of GOP senators dismissed the report’s whole notion of aggressive climate action. “It’s totally unrealistic,” Sen. John Kennedy (R-LA) told the Huffington Post. “They must have parachuted in from another planet.” 

<snip> 

Barring the kind of policies proposed in the UN climate report — policies that Trump, Kennedy, and his colleagues uniformly oppose — New Orleans is all but certain to be slammed again and ultimately devastated by climate change. "They might as well be calling on me to sprout wings and fly to Canada for the summer,” Sen. Roger Wicker (R-MS) told HuffPost. Mississippi was also devastated by Katrina’s 20-foot storm surge. 

“How is that new? They’ve said the same thing before,” said Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL). Hours after Rubio made these remarks, Hurricane Michael leveled entire cities in his state. 
Like a patient with worsening emphysema who smokes two packs of cigarettes a day, but keeps ignoring the doctors warnings, Rubio keeps dismissing the science. 

During the 2016 campaign, Rubio was dismissive of the dangers that climate change pose to Florida, and he asserted that efforts to fight it are “just not good public policy.” Miami Beach mayor Philip Levine said candidate Rubio was “100% using the language of a climate change denier.” 

Remember those quotes from Sen. Rubio. By 2020 or 2022, he will have memorized a very different set of canned answers to those types of questions. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Hurricanes will be more powerful than this? We have a serious problem folks.

That is one of the best hurricane/cyclone clips I have seen.

More energy in the system, worse storms. 

Australia has had to create a new category of bush fire to describe what is happening, they may have to go to Category 6 for storms.

11 hours ago, Dog said:

I would hope not.

Which one?  There is such a rich pool to choose from.

1 hour ago, badlatitude said:

That’s amazing! Wouldn’t want to ride that out. 18 souls departed and counting. Some folks will never learn. 

9 minutes ago, Sean said:

That’s amazing! Wouldn’t want to ride that out. 18 souls departed and counting. Some folks will never learn. 

Neither would I, and that's the problem, as long as we think it will never be me.

How many Tweets has your president twittered re this catastrophe? ONE!

How many addresses to the nation? One?

How many Rallys has he performed at? Three?

He doesn't want to disappoint his fans, I suggest his Fans in Florida might buy a ticket to one of his rallys ..there, they might get some comfort. :(

Terrifying 

10 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

How many Tweets has your president twittered re this catastrophe? ONE!

How many addresses to the nation? One?

How many Rallys has he performed at? Three?

He doesn't want to disappoint his fans, I suggest his Fans in Florida might buy a ticket to one of his rallys ..there, they might get some comfort. :(

The only benefit that might come from that behavior will be how the Panhandle shows its appreciation at the ballot box.

10 hours ago, Dog said:

Is that a fair comparison?

Before answering, think about your recent comments about building codes and how folks don't realize what they are saying when they say "they don't build 'em like they used to".

Watching the sun set at the end, I could hear Morgan Freeman’s voice saying “it was the longest night of my life.”  I bet that was one hell of a day and night for those folks. They have many more long ones ahead. 

2 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Watching the sun set at the end, I could hear Morgan Freeman’s voice saying “it was the longest night of my life.”  I bet that was one hell of a day and night for those folks. They have many more long ones ahead. 

I would need therapy after an experience like that. Watching the video, I kept thinking of those college students who tried to ride out Camille and her winds which were even more powerful.

15 hours ago, random said:
On 10/13/2018 at 7:04 AM, Dog said:

...     ...     ...

Which one?  There is such a rich pool to choose from.

I like the one where he claimed to not attack people because of their political leanings

-DSK

38 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

tumblr_pgk4r4vswv1tti4cw_500.jpg

They don't appear to be in the big screen TV aisle and this is after the storm.

11 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

They don't appear to be in the big screen TV aisle and this is after the storm.

Dope fiends, they're looking for snacks before they hit the big TV aisle.

On 10/13/2018 at 6:05 AM, random said:

Gaia is alive and well, but she is a bitch.  She fucking hates dynamite fishing.

Saturday was our coldest October day in 35 years following on from the coldest winter in 30 years. Fuck the GOP - I had put all my winter clothes away as well. 

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

Saturday was our coldest October day in 35 years following on from the coldest winter in 30 years. Fuck the GOP - I had put all my winter clothes away as well. 

It’s not bad in Ohio as long as nobody shoots at my hoodie.  No jet skis all weekend!

4560E52B-4F52-46FE-81D7-9D17A579E6B2.jpeg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lark said:

It’s not bad in Ohio as long as nobody shoots at my hoodie.  No jet skis all weekend!

4560E52B-4F52-46FE-81D7-9D17A579E6B2.jpeg

Good GOD! Lark! Is that.... mi..... mil...... mildew on your dodger?!

1 hour ago, chum said:

I’m sure that’s it. 

Yep, Mexico Beach is one of those places that are a lot easier to get out of before the storm than to get into afterwards.  US 98 runs up the coast and was pretty well screwed itself and it's the only main road that runs through town.  I-10 runs well north.  The Marianna FL exit is the nearest to Mexico Beach is the shortest leg and it's a 1 Hr and 19 minute run according to google.

https://www.google.com/search?q=marianna+fl+to+mexico+beach+fl&amp;ie=utf-8&amp;oe=utf-8

The routes up there are fairly well forested and I expect there was and is a lot of work to clear them.

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

Good GOD! Lark! Is that.... mi..... mil...... mildew on your dodger?!

My shame,   I prioritized sailing over cleaning, since winter haulout is coming.   I did clean the outer part of my sidedeck though.   

8D94F4D3-F5AF-4E4B-9DCD-A1A8544AA2F4.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Lark said:

My shame,   I prioritized sailing over cleaning, since winter haulout is coming.   I did clean the outer part of my sidedeck though.   

8D94F4D3-F5AF-4E4B-9DCD-A1A8544AA2F4.jpeg

What's a winter haulout?

5 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

What's a winter haulout?

It’s when you give up sailing for a bit and prioritize the house, even though no hurricane is coming to destroy both.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lark said:

It’s when you give up sailing for a bit and prioritize the house, even though no hurricane is coming to destroy both.

I was just having fun with you, and bragging about year-round sunshine. Sadly, I know all about prioritizing work around the house.

1 minute ago, badlatitude said:

I was just having fun with you, and bragging about year-round sunshine. Sadly, I know all about prioritizing work around the house.

No issues.   It’s the sad time of the year up north,   Maybe sail a bit before I trailer it Friday, and hope for an Indian summer for the dinghy,   The water is still warm but that won’t last.