Sign in to follow this  
random

Welcome to the future: Hurricane Michael slams Florida

Recommended Posts

I say God bless you all," Mr Trump said.

"We have massive amounts of food and water that gets brought in immediately as it's leaving. I mean, literally, we follow it right in."

No Climate Change happening here, nothing to see.

One of the predictions of Climate Change is that areas with buildings not designed to withstand strong weather events will be exposed to them.

image.png.c64c15ede26d8dbbeb6d38bbe97ad0c3.png

Meteorologists watched satellite imagery in complete awe as the storm intensified, with experts saying it is the worst ever recorded in the region.

"We are in new territory," National Hurricane Centre Meteorologist Dennis Feltgen wrote on Facebook.

"The historical record, going back to 1851, finds no category four hurricane ever hitting the Florida panhandle."

Burn More Coal Donald!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t you understand the difference between climate and weather? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a bit showery here today. Fuck you coal burning cunts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a tornado yesterday. It took out some 50+ year old oak trees, made a huge mess of things around here. I spent the day clearing downed trees. Thank you Trump.

 

D148E4FC-2FD3-4439-9BF9-4E616EDE53CE.thumb.png.55d51d3f1c7d99898aa41eb9ad1e2ff9.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, chum said:

We had a tornado yesterday. It took out some 50+ year old oak trees, made a huge mess of things around here. I spent the day clearing downed trees. Thank you Trump.

 

D148E4FC-2FD3-4439-9BF9-4E616EDE53CE.thumb.png.55d51d3f1c7d99898aa41eb9ad1e2ff9.png

Trump knocked down your trees?   Who knew he had the power.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scientists warn that human-induced climate change is responsible for an increase in the number and severity of storms – such as Hurricane Florence, which has engulfed the Carolinas in the last week.

But many who weathered the tempest, deep in Trump country, don’t believe global warming fueled it and don’t think humans are the problem – or the solution.

As the world’s oceans warm at a faster rate, hurricanes become more likely, and there has been an increase in storms since the start of the 20th century. Experts warn more numerous and even more ferocious hurricanes are on the way, and the US government is not addressing the central issue even as America’s coasts get battered and inland areas inundated.

But based on the evidence in North Carolina on Wednesday, the random man and woman in the street is still not convinced about the science – even those who have faced two major storms in two years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meli will be along shortly with “thoughts” for the Carolinas. You Aussies are a caring lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody making book that this won’t be a 1000 year storm?   Every storm is a 1000 year storm these days,   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Don’t you understand the difference between climate and weather? 

Yep.  Weather is, in general, a reflection of the climate.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, random said:

Scientists warn that human-induced climate change is responsible for an increase in the number and severity of storms – such as Hurricane Florence, which has engulfed the Carolinas in the last week.

But many who weathered the tempest, deep in Trump country, don’t believe global warming fueled it and don’t think humans are the problem – or the solution.

As the world’s oceans warm at a faster rate, hurricanes become more likely, and there has been an increase in storms since the start of the 20th century. Experts warn more numerous and even more ferocious hurricanes are on the way, and the US government is not addressing the central issue even as America’s coasts get battered and inland areas inundated.

But based on the evidence in North Carolina on Wednesday, the random man and woman in the street is still not convinced about the science – even those who have faced two major storms in two years.

The Storms are now targeting Republican states? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Yep.  Weather is, in general, a reflection of the climate.  

 

‘In general’? So you are into this science stuff?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This shit has been examined ad infinitum. Storms are not worse or more frequent than in tje 20s or 30s.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chum said:

Meli will be along shortly with “thoughts” for the Carolinas. You Aussies are a caring lot.

Actually, not. But we can fake it if we have to. Women of course excel at that.....

FKT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, warbird said:

This shit has been examined ad infinitum. Storms are not worse or more frequent than in tje 20s or 30s.

MIAMI – Hurricane Michael is one of the most powerful storms ever to hit the U.S., 

Major pressure: 919 millibars minimum pressure in the hurricane's eye, the third most intense hurricane landfall in the U.S. in recorded history

https://www.foxnews.com/us/whats-happening-historic-hurricane-michael-hits-florida

Fox News seems to think this one was exceptionally bad.   I recall somebody saying North Carolina caused 1000 year floods, as did Houston (after two 500 year floods in previous storms).   Puerto Rico seemed exceptionally devastating as well.  Irma had record winds.   Sandy broke records for its size and location.  If all these storms are exceptional maybe something exceptional is happening!    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, random said:

One of the predictions of Climate Change is that areas with buildings not designed to withstand strong weather events will be exposed to them.

image.png.c64c15ede26d8dbbeb6d38bbe97ad0c3.png

Barrier islands move. Stilt houses don't.

If you put your house on a barrier island, the island might just try to move out from under it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lark said:

 If all these storms are exceptional maybe something exceptional is happening!    

What's exceptional to me is having August and September pass with no thought of hurricane preparations and barely an opportunity to go tropical storm sailing.

Had a little fun with it today but now it's October and an actual cold front made that storm turn, so it's almost certainly over for the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, dogballs Tom said:

What's exceptional to me is having August and September pass with no thought of hurricane preparations and barely an opportunity to go tropical storm sailing.

Had a little fun with it today but now it's October and an actual cold front made that storm turn, so it's almost certainly over for the year.

Up here hurricane fed winds are only moderately strong, but usually don’t gust or shift.    Lovely sailing.   I pulled the trailer back to the house when I went back to work tonight,   Not sure if I’ll haul out Friday like a good boy, or brave the unlocked marina gates in hopes of another day or two.   We have a cool spell of 50s and 60’s, but the long term seems to be gradually warming again.   I’ll leave the dinghy on “ground alert” in the garage through November.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bad thunderstorm here right now. Fucking rich white cunts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't listen to the media.

Don't listen to scientists..

The effect of pumping 40 billion tons of CO2 into the air every year? 

Zero.

Sometimes I think this iteration of intelligent life on this planet just isn't wired right.  Earth will shake us off like a cold.  Maybe the next iteration will do better. No factions with their own version of a magic man in the sky to kill each other over. No invented leaders telling them to ignore the facts around them. 

I say we just burn the place up and die off to let the next group dig up our fossils millions of years from now. Maybe they will be able to assemble enough pieces to reveal what idiots we were and learn something from it.

As a species we really don't deserve the place.

If all the insects were to disappear from the Earth, within fifty years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within fifty years all forms of life would flourish.

- Jonas Salk

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Lark said:

MIAMI – Hurricane Michael is one of the most powerful storms ever to hit the U.S., 

Major pressure: 919 millibars minimum pressure in the hurricane's eye, the third most intense hurricane landfall in the U.S. in recorded history

https://www.foxnews.com/us/whats-happening-historic-hurricane-michael-hits-florida

Fox News seems to think this one was exceptionally bad.   I recall somebody saying North Carolina caused 1000 year floods, as did Houston (after two 500 year floods in previous storms).   Puerto Rico seemed exceptionally devastating as well.  Irma had record winds.   Sandy broke records for its size and location.  If all these storms are exceptional maybe something exceptional is happening!    

Gay marriage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Climate change or not, The Hurricanes seem to be increasing both in frequency and severity in that part of the world. How long until people start moving?

Real estate opportunity for Jack and his elk?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chum said:

Meli will be along shortly with “thoughts” for the Carolinas. You Aussies are a caring lot.

We're a bit busy at the moment in Indonesia ..not that we'd expect you to have noticed.

Did the "President" even mention this latest water event at his campaign rally? You know, send out a message for the crowds to dig deep and donate money?

PALU, Indonesia -- Indonesia's disaster agency said Wednesday that it only needs tents, water treatment units, generators and transport from other countries as it tries to take complete control of the response to the Sulawesi earthquake and tsunami that killed more than 2,000 people. The agency's spokesman, Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, said the death toll from the double disaster on Sept. 28 has risen to 2,045, with most of the fatalities in the coastal city of Palu. More than 80,000 people are living in temporary shelters or otherwise displaced, he said.

Possibly 5,000 people are buried in obliterated parts of the city and its surroundings where the force of the quake liquefied the soil and sucked houses into the earth. Miles of coastline were trashed by the tsunami and Nugroho said its waves were up to 36 feet high. A tsunami warning after the quake had predicted waves of 1.5 to 10 feet.

Nugroho reiterated at a news conference in Jakarta, Indonesia's capital, that the official search for bodies will end Thursday with mass prayers in hard-hit neighborhoods but volunteers and family members can continue searching.

Memorials will be constructed in hard-hit neighborhoods such as Balaroa and Petobo, he said.

 

http://time.com/5421390/indonesia-sulawesi-palu-search-ends/

Australia aid supplies next to an airplane

https://dfat.gov.au/crisis-hub/Pages/sulawesi-earthquake-and-tsunami-response.aspx

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=tsunami+indonesia+2018+australian+response&rlz=1C1CHBD_en-gbAU714AU714&source=lnms&tbm=isch&tbs=qdr:w&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjcha3Z7P3dAhXGfd4KHZpzDrEQ_AUIDygC&biw=911&bih=438

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have my sympathy. Last year we sat through Cat 4 Cyclone Debbie. The only consolation is the 12-month-plus construction and repair boom that always follows.  

Cow farts, combustion engines, coal power stations and your patio heater don't have much  to do with it. Climate in the long term is never stable. The last ice age ended only 15,000 years ago. The humans around then were pretty bloody glad for a bit of global warming.

The diatribes of Australian Greens are even more idiotic when you consider that, if Australia stopped emitting any gases at all (ie if the place magically and suddenly became devoid of all life) the reduction in total global CO2 output would be around 0.1%. 

If all the massive energy and commitment of the greenhouse gas/coal burning hysteria was directed instead to reducing plastic use and waste, the planet (particularly the wet 70%) would be genuinely better off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get tired of the "is it man made or not" debate. The facts are that for whatever reason, the climate is changing and there will be shifts in the world population that make other population displacements look like a brewers picnic to the prom.

We need to stop arguing about "Why?" and concentrate on how we are to manage it with the least cost to life on the planet while we have 10 years "breathing' space.

We need to start planning now for massive migration of low lying populations. 

and yeah, the pollution of the oceans has to get priority if we are going to survive on anything other than SG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

I get tired of the "is it man made or not" debate. The facts are that for whatever reason, the climate is changing and there will be shifts in the world population that make other population displacements look like a brewers picnic to the prom.

We need to stop arguing about "Why?" and concentrate on how we are to manage it with the least cost to life on the planet while we have 10 years "breathing' space.

We need to start planning now for massive migration of low lying populations. 

and yeah, the pollution of the oceans has to get priority if we are going to survive on anything other than SG.

Most of our low lying populations have been arriving recently.  Living on the water became fashionable and it was a great place for second homes.  Hey, they made good summer rental properties too.  Right now the outer banks of NC have a population of about 57000.  That's a whole lot of people living on sandbars subject to annual relocation.

This may show you why there is a lot more damage now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lark said:

MIAMI – Hurricane Michael is one of the most powerful storms ever to hit the U.S., 

Major pressure: 919 millibars minimum pressure in the hurricane's eye, the third most intense hurricane landfall in the U.S. in recorded history

https://www.foxnews.com/us/whats-happening-historic-hurricane-michael-hits-florida

Fox News seems to think this one was exceptionally bad.   I recall somebody saying North Carolina caused 1000 year floods, as did Houston (after two 500 year floods in previous storms).   Puerto Rico seemed exceptionally devastating as well.  Irma had record winds.   Sandy broke records for its size and location.  If all these storms are exceptional maybe something exceptional is happening!    

10 Worst U.S. Hurricanes

  1. 1900 Great Galveston Hurricane
  2. 1928 OkeeChobee Hurricane
  3. 2005 Hurricane Katrina
  4. 1893 Chenière Caminada Hurricane
  5. 1893 Sea Islands Hurricane
  6. 1881 Georgia/South Carolina Hurricane
  7. 1967 Hurricane Audrey
  8. 1935 Great Labor Day Hurricane
  9. 1856 Last Island Hurricane
  10. 1926 Great Miami Hurricane

 

The Great Labor Day Hurricane swept into the Florida Keys with 185 miles per hour winds and surges up to 20 feet high. This brutal storm destroyed almost every building in its path between the towns of Marathon and Tavernier. The town of Islamorada was obliterated before the storm went on to damage parts of Georgia and South Carolina.

When the storm was finally over, at least 408 people had died as a result and damages were estimated to be over $6 million (1935 USD).

https://geology.com/hurricanes/largest-hurricane/

 

Deadliest Hurricanes in U.S. History

Hurricane Year Category Deaths
Great Galveston Hurricane 1900 4 8000-12000
Okeechobee Hurricane 1928 4 2500-3000
Hurricane Katrina 2005 3 1500+
Louisiana Hurricane 1893 4 1100-1400
S. Carolina / Georgia 1893 3 1000-2000
Data from NOAA. [7]
Deadliest Hurricanes in United States History

The largest loss of life from a hurricane is often caused by storm surge and flooding rather than the winds. Do not underestimate a lower category hurricane! None of the top five deadliest hurricanes in United States history were a Category 5 hurricane at landfall.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/10-worst-hurricanes-american-history-20140818/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Climate change or not, The Hurricanes seem to be increasing both in frequency and severity in that part of the world. How long until people start moving?

Real estate opportunity for Jack and his elk?

"Seem to be."  But are they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Well God's son was a liberal.

No he was a compassionate conservative. First he fed his people fish, the he taught them how to fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, warbird said:

No he was a compassionate conservative. First he fed his people fish, the he taught them how to fish.

Bullshit..which bit of the bible says.."after scoffing his bit of flake, the lord led the 5000 down to the jetty and handed them a line and said..next time, catch your own"..I wasn't his bit of fish anyway, it was prolly Simon's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Bullshit..which bit of the bible says.."after scoffing his bit of flake, the lord led the 5000 down to the jetty and handed them a line and said..next time, catch your own"..I wasn't his bit of fish anyway, it was prolly Simon's.

He was a good friend of the fisherman's guild.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, warbird said:

No he was a compassionate conservative. First he fed his people fish, the he taught them how to fish.

There's nothing conservative about charity and education.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

Bullshit..which bit of the bible says.."after scoffing his bit of flake, the lord led the 5000 down to the jetty and handed them a line and said..next time, catch your own"..I wasn't his bit of fish anyway, it was prolly Simon's.

….He told the disciples to cast their net on the other side of the boat....

….it was filled to the breaking point.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

There's nothing conservative about charity and education.

Liberal education is the FAILED inner city systems that conservatives have been arguing to change for SUCCESS for a generation...…...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, warbird said:

Liberal education is the FAILED inner city systems that conservatives have been arguing to change for SUCCESS for a generation...…...

bullshit............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, warbird said:

10 Worst U.S. Hurricanes

  1. 1900 Great Galveston Hurricane
  2. 1928 OkeeChobee Hurricane
  3. 2005 Hurricane Katrina
  4. 1893 Chenière Caminada Hurricane
  5. 1893 Sea Islands Hurricane
  6. 1881 Georgia/South Carolina Hurricane
  7. 1967 Hurricane Audrey
  8. 1935 Great Labor Day Hurricane
  9. 1856 Last Island Hurricane
  10. 1926 Great Miami Hurricane
 

o

maybe this one is a bit more relevant, at least if you want to discuss this seriously ... source is NOAA, the question is not which ones are worst but rather how many do you get, but then of course NOAA are surely liberals, democRats of belonging to the global warming tre hugging lobby, for sure, wink, nudge

Simplified_TSER_fiveyr_1000.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, warbird said:

….He told the disciples to cast their net on the other side of the boat....

….it was filled to the breaking point.....

But his disciples were fishermen you fool, how did he teach them how to fish? boot's on the other foot..and what was he doing in the fishing boat anyway..? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

But his disciples were fishermen you fool, how did he teach them how to fish? boot's on the other foot..and what was he doing in the fishing boat anyway..? 

He stood on the shore, the disciples had fished all night long with no success...…...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, warbird said:

No he was a compassionate conservative. First he fed his people fish, the he taught them how to fish.

Why do the righties forget the parties? You’d think that with their penchant for boozing and sexually assaulting women it would be on the top of  the list. Oh, that’s right, they drink till they blackout and don’t remember.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, warbird said:

No he was a compassionate conservative. First he fed his people fish, the he taught them how to fish.

except "give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime" is an ancient CHINESE proverb....nothing to do with Jesus or the Bible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HURRICANE-MICHAEL-AFTERMATH-MAIN-STORY-P

 

0d1e2a1c-83b8-4ba5-a9c2-edcf8005da80-POS

 

hurricane-michael-damages-power-outages.

panama_city_damage_1539214339427_5856213

PY-08TH_CNNA-ST1-1000000004d14877-640x36

 

Aftermath_of_Hurricane_Michael_0_5863482

4460650_101118ccapmichael4.jpg

225Michael00%20NEW%20PPP(2)

5d76bd5f-088a-431f-a3ef-a5be6e822b6f-Hur

1cbe7402ee884e32823c8fcb64c760cb.jpg

4457038_100718ccapmichaeldamageAP1828380

Damage_From_Hurricane_Michael_0_13311419

?app=portal&sig=51bb5d0af651d7aec4a10085

hqdefault.jpg

101018-kgo-11p-hurricane-michael-vid.jpg

4458266_101018-wabc-hurricanemichaeldama

43567164_2043348495687516_69793039459863

Hurricane_Michael_rips_through_Florida_0

aHR0cHM6Ly9jYnNuZXdzMy5jYnNpc3RhdGljLmNv

 

 

If someone could track down the party affiliation of the folks in those pictures it would save us some time deciding whether or not to GAF.  Thx.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, warbird said:

No he was a compassionate conservative. First he fed his people fish, the he taught them how to fish.

Fucking idiot. He hung out with hookers and illegals, threw monster parties with free booze and gave out free healthcare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sol Rosenberg said:

HURRICANE-MICHAEL-AFTERMATH-MAIN-STORY-P

 

0d1e2a1c-83b8-4ba5-a9c2-edcf8005da80-POS

 

hurricane-michael-damages-power-outages.

panama_city_damage_1539214339427_5856213

PY-08TH_CNNA-ST1-1000000004d14877-640x36

 

Aftermath_of_Hurricane_Michael_0_5863482

4460650_101118ccapmichael4.jpg

225Michael00%20NEW%20PPP(2)

5d76bd5f-088a-431f-a3ef-a5be6e822b6f-Hur

1cbe7402ee884e32823c8fcb64c760cb.jpg

4457038_100718ccapmichaeldamageAP1828380

Damage_From_Hurricane_Michael_0_13311419

?app=portal&sig=51bb5d0af651d7aec4a10085

hqdefault.jpg

101018-kgo-11p-hurricane-michael-vid.jpg

4458266_101018-wabc-hurricanemichaeldama

43567164_2043348495687516_69793039459863

Hurricane_Michael_rips_through_Florida_0

aHR0cHM6Ly9jYnNuZXdzMy5jYnNpc3RhdGljLmNv

 

 

If someone could track down the party affiliation of the folks in those pictures it would save us some time deciding whether or not to GAF.  Thx.  

Every time I get an email saying “build your retirement home in Belize” I think of photos like this...

guess I’ll send some T&P, but I’m true liberal fashion I’ll back it up with cash....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know how long meteorological people have been accurately tracking hurricanes? Seems a great deal is being made about Michael and the low pressure of 991 mb. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

Does anyone know how long meteorological people have been accurately tracking hurricanes? Seems a great deal is being made about Michael and the low pressure of 991 mb. 

They've been tracking the ones they could see for a long time.  But, prior to the 60s we didn't have the remote sensors or the compulsion to track and name every Atlantic low as soon as possible.  Environmental sealing for cameras and improvements in foul weather gear made things like this possible.

1a7b3c92-7763-4175-8a9d-51ed8ee2ce72-lar

This one is clearly a low budget operation, the product placement sponsor name isn't too good on the jacket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

 

PY-08TH_CNNA-ST1-1000000004d14877-640x36

AKK! Yikes! Jesus!

And I mean the bare feet AND the sandals. I walked across the Grand Canyon barefoot and almost always wear Crocs. But there are roofing nails EVERYWHERE and they have those handy things on them that make them sit point up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dogballs Tom said:

AKK! Yikes! Jesus!

And I mean the bare feet AND the sandals. I walked across the Grand Canyon barefoot and almost always wear Crocs. But there are roofing nails EVERYWHERE and they have those handy things on them that make them sit point up.

I noticed that as well.  Note to self, make sure to tuck the work boots someplace safe if staying, and take them with me if leaving....  Make sure if you leave, you have all gear with you to be full on assholes and elbows working, upon return.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Fucking idiot. He hung out with hookers and illegals, threw monster parties with free booze and gave out free healthcare.

Ha! much of that is true! Love it. Religion is to control people. Faith is to control oneself...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

I noticed that as well.  Note to self, make sure to tuck the work boots someplace safe if staying, and take them with me if leaving....  Make sure if you leave, you have all gear with you to be full on assholes and elbows working, upon return.  

My prep list from the SA thread

1 hour ago, dogballs Tom said:

...this one illustrates why a hurricane prep list should begin with:

1. Chainsaws

2. Fuel

Even before water.

https://dynaimage.cdn.cnn.com/cnn/w_1600/https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F181010224018-22-hurricane-michael-1010.jpg

What if you need to go down that street? What if emergency vehicles need to go down it to get to your family?

I'm thinking work boats might come before water too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

They've been tracking the ones they could see for a long time.  But, prior to the 60s we didn't have the remote sensors or the compulsion to track and name every Atlantic low as soon as possible.  

Let me try this again...…. for how many years exactly has hurricane tracking been used?

Seems to me North America would be post 1850's? The glimpse of time, a mere 170 +/- years is like nothing. A snapshot really and wind speed sensing/recording probably like what 100-120 years? The prognostications that this storm is grossly abhorrent seems rhetorical at best. No doubt an impactful weather event, but to declare this as a sign of, or result of an ever changing climate seems errant hyperbole. Then double down on stupid by laying blame at someone who has been in office less than 2 years, me thinks some might be getting a wee bit ahead of themselves, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

Let me try this again...…. for how many years exactly has hurricane tracking been used?

Seems to me North America would be post 1850's? The glimpse of time, a mere 170 +/- years is like nothing. A snapshot really and wind speed sensing/recording probably like what 100-120 years? The prognostications that this storm is grossly abhorrent seems rhetorical at best. No doubt an impactful weather event, but to declare this as a sign of, or result of an ever changing climate seems errant hyperbole. Then double down on stupid by laying blame at someone who has been in office less than 2 years, me thinks some might be getting a wee bit ahead of themselves, no?

I have a partial answer, maybe somebody who knows more can extrapolate.   I know they figure 1000 year weather events by computer number crunching, not archeological digs.   Observations of all weather events for the last fifty years or whatever shows they follow a predictable probability curve.   They can take the predicted data and use statistics to predict how frequent each imagined event would be.     When we start having every other major storm being a 500 year event or worse that tells us things are not remaining the same.   It could be the predicted consequence of climate change (more extreme weather events, but not more frequent).   It could also be stupid development (Houston floods, not rainfall).   Likely it is a combination of both.  

Similar logic was used on a less controversial bit of meteorological modeling regarding the effect of jet contrails on weather.    There was a brief period in September 2001 where all civilian traffic was grounded over the US.   Military traffic is tiny by comparison.  Some smart guy realized this provided an experiment.   There were hundreds of thousands of data points, since each weather station had collected data continuously for that brief period.  Statistics allowed them to compare this data to "normal" collected over many years and eliminated the noise of local weather.   They were able to determine with a high degree of confidence that aircraft contrails created warmer nights and cooler days.   The 'experimental period' was short and the affect small, but measurable.     Virtually nobody doubts the data.   Since the 'inconvenient truth' is our conspicuous carbon footprint is fun, but costs the future, we have a strong interest in pretending it isn't so.   Its much easier to deny reality then to turn off the AC, drive a smaller car, get a smaller boat, travel less, live in a smaller house, etc.   Therefore we spend an immense amount of time denying the same methods we used to show airplanes affect weather. Either way, we refuser to sacrifice to help great generations we will never meet.   If we deny then we don't have to feel guilty about our selfishness.   https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/climate-effects-of-contra/  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dacapo said:

except "give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime" is an ancient CHINESE proverb....nothing to do with Jesus or the Bible

Build a man a fire he's warm for a day, set a man on fire , he's warm for the rest of his life....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, benwynn said:

Don't listen to the media.

Don't listen to scientists..

The effect of pumping 40 billion tons of CO2 into the air every year? 

Zero.

Sometimes I think this iteration of intelligent life on this planet just isn't wired right.  Earth will shake us off like a cold.  Maybe the next iteration will do better. No factions with their own version of a magic man in the sky to kill each other over. No invented leaders telling them to ignore the facts around them. 

I say we just burn the place up and die off to let the next group dig up our fossils millions of years from now. Maybe they will be able to assemble enough pieces to reveal what idiots we were and learn something from it.

As a species we really don't deserve the place.

If all the insects were to disappear from the Earth, within fifty years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within fifty years all forms of life would flourish.

- Jonas Salk

Actually, every species has the same general imperative - to survive.  Beavers don't look at the bigger picture when they build a dam and flood areas.  Deer don't look at the bigger picture when the graze and clear an entire area and destroy it.  Wolves don't look at a bigger picture when they hunt out an area and there's a die-off.  We are wired just like them - do everything you generally can to make your own life easier and better and more comfortable.

You could argue that it's preservationists that are wired wrong really.

None of that changes the end result if we don't smarten up - but you're actually FIGHTING nature to get folks to take those steps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Mexico Beach aerial video.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2018/10/11/myers-mexico-beach-hurricane-michael-reaction-vpx.cnn

 

Granted, this was not nearly as bad as former Hurricane turned Superstorm Sandy, the worst storm in the history of any storms anywhere, but this looks less than good.  

The only good thing about it is that Mexico City is small and isolated, so blocks of homes were destroyed instead of miles of homes.

The next thing inland is White City. I've been there. It's not a much of a city but hosts a heck of a bass tournament. Boats launch before dawn right next to where cruising boats tie up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BillDBastard said:

Let me try this again...…. for how many years exactly has hurricane tracking been used?

Seems to me North America would be post 1850's? The glimpse of time, a mere 170 +/- years is like nothing. A snapshot really and wind speed sensing/recording probably like what 100-120 years? The prognostications that this storm is grossly abhorrent seems rhetorical at best. No doubt an impactful weather event, but to declare this as a sign of, or result of an ever changing climate seems errant hyperbole. Then double down on stupid by laying blame at someone who has been in office less than 2 years, me thinks some might be getting a wee bit ahead of themselves, no?

how about this. 

It's hotter than any modern records

Heat is energy

Storms live off energy

therefore storms will be stronger. 

You might want to adjust your building plans accordingly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hotter? Modern records? Since when, the mini ice age? Define "modern records" then add some perspective as to why you draw a correlation between the past decade's tropical storms relative to prior time frames decade by decade. Not so sure it is gonna jump off the page as 100% conclusive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Actually, every species has the same general imperative - to survive.  Beavers don't look at the bigger picture when they build a dam and flood areas.  Deer don't look at the bigger picture when the graze and clear an entire area and destroy it.  Wolves don't look at a bigger picture when they hunt out an area and there's a die-off.  We are wired just like them - do everything you generally can to make your own life easier and better and more comfortable.

You could argue that it's preservationists that are wired wrong really.

None of that changes the end result if we don't smarten up - but you're actually FIGHTING nature to get folks to take those steps.

We share the same hard wired instincts.  Eat, Don't get killed, Fuck, Protect offspring, etc.   Those instincts don't apply to future unseen generations, either for beaver or beaver hunters.  Beaver don't care if they change the environment eliminating trees so future generations cannot live the beaver lifestyle.   We are unable to get too worried on an emotional level about our great great grandkids' planet.  

Dubai will lose its manufactured islands to flooding in half a century,  https://www.arabianbusiness.com/dubai-will-be-underwater-in-50-years-alerts-branson-123059.html

and with nighttime temperatures above 30'c and daytime above the ability for a human to survive in the shade by sweating   https://www.foxnews.com/science/could-worsening-heat-make-the-persian-gulf-uninhabitable

I don't know anybody who will be living (or worse, working) there in 100 years.  I have  a hard time caring.   None of my instincts activate to create a visceral reaction.  Its not that we need to preserve habitat for three lined skinks.   We are destroying our own habitat, in a comfortably distant time where we won't have to deal with it.   Its easy for me to abandon coastal Florida and North Carolina, since I don't own any property there and think the great lakes are more fun.   Those that live there also ignore the future, exposing a limitation of our instincts.  An interview of a retiree buying property on a Florida island was something like 'I love it, but don't expect my kids or grandkids to inherit anything useful.'   He bought it as a consumable but didn't pretend it was an investment.   Most people aren't so honest with themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the future and the past.  

2062654919.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jzk said:

Welcome to the future and the past.  

2062654919.jpg

So you are on record not only as denying humanities role in climate change, but in denying that change is anything more then a 1000 year cycle?    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

Hotter? Modern records? Since when, the mini ice age? Define "modern records" then add some perspective as to why you draw a correlation between the past decade's tropical storms relative to prior time frames decade by decade. Not so sure it is gonna jump off the page as 100% conclusive.

I'm not surprised that you choose to ignore common, well understood science and how they have determined that it's hotter than it's been, in awhile, and getting hotter faster than before,  as far as the ice cores go back.

Note, there's nothing political about this. If you're smart, you adapt. or pay the consequences in death and property destruction.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is what his Majesty of Shit was doing and he hasn't said squat about Mexico Beach...he probably doesn't know that Mexico Beach is in Florida

 

He could of stayed in D.C. watched the storm, got word of preparations for recovery, issued a statement.  Said something....done something akin to leadership.

What a colossal prick.

ct-trump-rally-pennsylvania-special-election-20180310.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A good guess would be that 80-90% of the buildings in and around Mexico Beach have been destroyed.

Here is a arieal survey:

 

AP18284563746947.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lark said:

So you are on record not only as denying humanities role in climate change, but in denying that change is anything more then a 1000 year cycle?    

Is that what you read from my post?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

I'm not surprised that you choose to ignore common, well understood science and how they have determined that it's hotter than it's been, in awhile, and getting hotter faster than before,  as far as the ice cores go back.

Note, there's nothing political about this. If you're smart, you adapt. or pay the consequences in death and property destruction.

 

Nothing political at all.  All we need to do is send money to the UN and vote democratic, and all will be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BillDBastard said:

Hotter? Modern records? Since when, the mini ice age? Define "modern records" then add some perspective as to why you draw a correlation between the past decade's tropical storms relative to prior time frames decade by decade. Not so sure it is gonna jump off the page as 100% conclusive.

Two hurricanes in 13 months hitting the Gulf Coast and the only ones on record that didn't diminish before making landfall and in fact strengthened considerably at the last hours.

Probably just a coincidence, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Two hurricanes in 13 months hitting the Gulf Coast and the only ones on record that didn't diminish before making landfall and in fact strengthened considerably at the last hours.

Probably just a coincidence, right?

Former hurricane turned Superstorm Sandy was much worse.  When viewed through the lens of Superior Knowledge, you can see that things are actually getting better.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Tyndall AFB.  Catastrophic damage.

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/direct-hit-from-hurricane-leaves-tyndall-afb-with-catastrophic-damage-1.551072

<SNIP>

Granted, that is nothing compared to the carnage wreaked by former Hurricane turned Superstorm Sandy, the most devastating storm of our lifetime.

What a mess - it seems that most folks got out of the way, and the relatively short duration will hopefully mean a low injury/fatality count.  Gonna be a lot of folks unomfortable for a long while coming back from this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

What a mess - it seems that most folks got out of the way, and the relatively short duration will hopefully mean a low injury/fatality count.  Gonna be a lot of folks unomfortable for a long while coming back from this. 

Look at the vid in post 72.  That reminds me of Andrew or Katrina.  Whole blocks just completely cleared.  I'm hoping that people got out, but this was not supposed to be such a powerful storm, so people might have taken it lightly.  Like Andrew, it just exploded right before reaching the coast.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Look at the vid in post 72.  That reminds me of Andrew or Katrina.  Whole blocks just completely cleared.  I'm hoping that people got out, but this was not supposed to be such a powerful storm, so people might have taken it lightly.  Like Andrew, it just exploded right before reaching the coast.  

I did - that's what I was replying too, just snipped the vid in my reply to save the pixels... I haven't seen any injury/fatality reports up here today - are there any local updates?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, jzk said:

Nothing political at all.  All we need to do is send money to the UN and vote democratic, and all will be fine.

You, of course, are just being a troll.  Keeping the posts nice and sort and doing copy and so you can get on to the next site you are getting paid to besmirch.

Nothing to respond to here.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I did - that's what I was replying too, just snipped the vid in my reply to save the pixels... I haven't seen any injury/fatality reports up here today - are there any local updates?

All I've heard is that it is extremely hard to get anyone in there and to get word out.  All the small highways into that area are closed or blocked, as is an 80 mile stretch of I-10.  All airports around there are closed. I know from my Tallahassee days that PCB is a looooong way off of I-10.  My WAG would be that the way in is likely from the west, on 98.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

You, of course, are just being a troll.  Keeping the posts nice and sort and doing copy and so you can get on to the next site you are getting paid to besmirch.

Nothing to respond to here.  

Yet you responded anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites