Sign in to follow this  
Meat Wad

Truck or Van Seating

I'm thinking of getting new seating for my Chevy, duramax, Extended van.
Maybe air ride self contained??? Seating?

Any thoughts??

Seating? In a van?

Spend the money on a sailboat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

I'm thinking of getting new seating for my Chevy, duramax, Extended van.
Maybe air ride self contained??? Seating?

Any thoughts??

air ride Sucks !!

Air suspension Rocks

think about having your keyboard going up and down endlessly

Be secured in place so you can just deal w the driving instead of hanging on

6 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

air ride Sucks !!

Air suspension Rocks

think about having your keyboard going up and down endlessly

Be secured in place so you can just deal w the driving instead of hanging on

Air ride seat in a 76000 lb truck, yes, a 6000lb van, not so sure.

Well, as I enter the seat from the inside from my wheelchair, the inside of the seat has deflated so the seat angles to the inside.
GM Products suck and I need a new seat that will not succumb to my entering from the inside.

Not everything is as you know it. Some of us live a different life and products are not  available as you expect.

I need a real truckers seat that can withstand abuse.

22 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

Well, as I enter the seat from the inside from my wheelchair, the inside of the seat has deflated so the seat angles to the inside.
GM Products suck and I need a new seat that will not succumb to my entering from the inside.

Not everything is as you know it. Some of us live a different life and products are not  available as you expect.

what you Don't need is a friggin trampoline mounted seat = air ride

why not switch w passenger seat in the meantime 

Seatbelts probably won't work properly. The ones in my GM vans were specific to the seats position.

OK, I am guessing no one knows shit about seating.

I'll have to visit some professionals and take my chances.

• Like 1

I know a little, and from my investigations here in the land of Oz, all seats are made for sitting - none are made for climbing into.

my situation - VW 4x4 Transporter with suspension lift 2.5 inch, people = 1 with wheelchair + 1 without wheelchair

problem, seat upholstery does not like being used in any other way than sitting in the 'travelling position', so "side of seat" upholstery collapses quickly from being climbed over.

our solution was to buy after market seats made of a strong frame and thin closed cell foam upholstery. This works for us as the chair frame takes the weight of person climbing into position, not the upholstery. We have had to supplement upholstery with gel-cell cushions for wheelchair person. These seats have stayed intact for 5 years now without falling out of shape. Additionally we put hand holds on ceiling of car to assist climbing through the car, could not use 'A' or 'B' frames or dashboard for hand holds as they would interfere with air-bags.

bad news, chairs we used, Scheel, have gone out of business, when I have to do same for new car will look at some of the Recaro carbon framed seats. Benefit of using a 'brand' name after market seat is that thy have been through all of the automotive approvals required here in Oz for insurance. YMMV.

hope that helps.

Not sure what your demands are and I'm guessing they are different than our use in the FD in ways I do not understand. But in brief............there was a period of time when we spec'd air suspension seats for the front of the fire apparatus (engines and trucks). After a while we went away from those specifically because of the unpredictable "bouncing" and concerns over the ability of the driver to steer and brake effectively in code 3 response situations. In fact I think the recommendations developed later required the driver to lock the seat down thus eliminating the air suspension effect for safety concerns until those worked their way out of the fleet. From the limited time I spent in the front cab of one thus equipped, I did not enjoy the "bounce" at all. On balance, one of my niece's husband is a long haul trucker and he swears by his. I'm imagining its nearly impossible to test drive one in a vehicle equipped with para driver controls.......perhaps you can find one you can ride in as a passenger to try it out?

YMMV

46 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

Dawg Do Not be yet another troll to ask a question only to diss anyone who tries to help

this site meats ADA requirement for those with a short mental deck of cards

Your needs are Your's and figuring what your priorities come in front of regular ones is a Fail here.

I can tell you about how AirRide Sucks as you are bouncing up and down like a yo yo while driving

I can tell you the benefits of Racing Bucket seats that hold you in place especially when trying to get out

Seating for those needing mobility assistance are no doubt covered better in other forums

You should know them !!

6 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

Dawg Do Not be yet another troll to ask a question only to diss anyone who tries to help

Your needs are Your's and figuring what your priorities come in front of regular ones is a Fail here.

I can tell you about how AirRide Sucks as you are bouncing up and down like a yo yo while driving

I can tell you the benefits of Racing Bucket seats that hold you in place especially when trying to get out

Seating for those needing mobility assistance are no doubt covered better in other forums

You should know them !!

Okie dokie then......

I think we've all seen enough for today..... Shall we all meat again tomorrow at...... say...  7AM?

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

Okie dokie then......

I think we've all seen enough for today..... Shall we all meat again tomorrow at...... say...  7AM?

Wad ever you say !!

Look at the 180 degree swivel seats that are being used in the growing market for Sprinter van conversions to campers. You could easily pull yourself into one of those when it is turned towards the back and get situated and then spin 180 to the driving position. 

48 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Look at the 180 degree swivel seats that are being used in the growing market for Sprinter van conversions to campers. You could easily pull yourself into one of those when it is turned towards the back and get situated and then spin 180 to the driving position. 

I have a class b on a sprinter chassis and this is correct. The seats are stellar.

you 2 get a room !!!

Woody, I'm not dissing anyone. It was the lack of real answers, initially.

I do not want ADA bullshit. I am one of those disable that do not conform to the fracking disabled world.
You've seen my sailing and land sailing videos............I do not conform. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCujoGJLdmZodqf67iL36TIA
That is why I need shit that can take abuse from every angle.

The issue I have is with the Chevy Duramax van, the fuse box is under the Driver seat.
I could have got an ADA bitchin seat but they wanted to cut the fuse box and lower it.
FUCK NO, you are not screwing with my vehicle electrical system.

This is a huge issue getting proper seating without fucking my van up.

You guys are all able and I hope you understand my trepidation.

33 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

Woody, I'm not dissing anyone. It was the lack of real answers, initially.

I do not want ADA bullshit. I am one of those disable that do not conform to the fracking disabled world.
You've seen my sailing and land sailing videos............I do not conform. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCujoGJLdmZodqf67iL36TIA
That is why I need shit that can take abuse from every angle.

The issue I have is with the Chevy Duramax van, the fuse box is under the Driver seat.
I could have got an ADA bitchin seat but they wanted to cut the fuse box and lower it.
FUCK NO, you are not screwing with my vehicle electrical system.

This is a huge issue getting proper seating without fucking my van up.

You guys are all able and I hope you understand my trepidation.

next time yer in a parking lot check out the seats in cars.

Big3AutoSwap in Feb (DAGO) has a guy selling hundreds of new take out seats from vans and trucks as well as some cars

its like asking someone what shoes should  i get

depends

But Forget the AirRide !!!

4 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

But Forget the AirRide !!!

Before I got hurt, I drove big rigs on the facility and it was nice to have an adjustable seat with a flip of a lever.

Nothing like being a short person and lifting your ass up to see over the dash.
Very few cars have this tech.

15 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

Before I got hurt, I drove big rigs on the facility and it was nice to have an adjustable seat with a flip of a lever.

Nothing like being a short person and lifting your ass up to see over the dash.
Very few cars have this tech.

Power Adjustable Yes

Sitting on a soft Spring loaded seat No

I haven't driven a rig with an AirRide seat since yesterday

FYI .... I put 2 of these in me YACHT in 1999 and Love them to this day

I have reupholstered them once and will again before heading back to NZL for the next AC

in my case I did not use the arms and couldnt order w/o

Ya the price is Each and I got Sponsored for a pair

If you have a $1.600 (+ tax) ASS these are worth every penny

the frame is a plastic Bucket so Nothing to Rust

Friggin Perfect for me in my situation

just need to start a thread on seat pedestals ;)

Todd 5-Star Flip-Up Helm Seat - White

by TODD

$1559.99

Luxurious, extra-thick padding, ergonomic design and customizable lumbar support make this seatone of the most comfortable. Flip-up bolster provides support so captains can stand with comfort andsecurity. Choose a pedestal for permanent mounting at the helm. Upholstered with the highest-grademarine vinyl, the 5-Star Seat features adjustable arms and a padded headrest. Mounting hardwaresold separately. Application: Helm, saloon, deck Dimensions: 31"H x 26 1/2"W x 30"D Mounting Hardware: Sold separately
Product # 12216776 | Mfg # U9705W

12216776.jpg

On 10/11/2018 at 10:09 PM, Rasputin22 said:

I  posted these before. I replaced the dinette with these Toyota Sienna seats. The company who makes the bases to fit them also makes a swivel base for the front seat conversion in Transit and Sprinter vans. The Sienna drivers seat should be firm and comfortable if it’s the same as the rears. Here is a link to a good thread on the process, with some info about other seat possibilities for the fronts too. https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/the-not-so-definitive-guide-to-sienna-seats.114704/

1CF8F11C-35F4-4EC8-AC01-51B81A4BDB9F.thumb.jpeg.7ff2fe2d57e800d26602589539f16aa4.jpeg

On 10/11/2018 at 8:19 PM, Meat Wad said:

I wish you every success in this hunt, but post #5 was written by someone who knows his shit.

On 10/12/2018 at 7:14 AM, Meat Wad said:

I recommend ISRI suspension seating. Their range is extensive. For a cheaper seat you could try Bostrom.

On 10/11/2018 at 8:58 PM, Point Break said:

I have a class b on a sprinter chassis and this is correct. The seats are stellar.

When did you do that ?

1 minute ago, Dorado said:

When did you do that ?

About 4 months ago. I went 50/50 on a new Pleasureway XLTS. It’s a pretty nice rig set up for off grid. I’ve had it out a few times. My buddy and his wife are out with it for two months coming back in a few days. I’ll head out later in Nov for a while. It’s a beauty. 

Just now, Dorado said:

I'm still waiting. The wife keeps putting off her retirement.

Could be worse.......but you should encourage her to cash it in. Life is unpredictable.