Sign in to follow this  
Mid

NRA Campaign Donations Down 90%

The National Rifle Association (NRA) has spent conservatively during the 2018 midterm election season, dropping campaign donations to Republican candidates by 90 percent from previous years. Recent reports of increased debt, reduced cash flow, insurance troubles and legal issues linking the organization to Russian officials could be behind the tightening purse strings.

The NRA has spent $1.6 million in donations this election cycle, a massive drop in donation money compared to the 2014 midterms where they invested $16 million in GOP candidates, and $32 million during the 2016 presidential election season, according to Salon.

https://hillreporter.com/nra-campaign-donations-down-90-amidst-reports-of-rocky-financials-9947

GOP Mid-Term Candidates Are Refusing To Cash NRA Donation Checks

Via Mother Jones:

Rep. Steve Knight, a vulnerable GOP incumbent who represents suburban Los Angeles county and has consistently received “A” ratings from the NRA, has declined a total of $4,000 in NRA contributions this year, according to filings with the Federal Election Commission. Last month, Knight’s campaign returned a $2,500 campaign contributions to the NRA after initially depositing that money in August. The NRA also voided a $1,500 May contribution that Knight never deposited.

https://hillreporter.com/gop-mid-term-candidates-are-refusing-to-cash-nra-donation-checks-11477

Well, no more Russian money means they have to raise funds the old fashioned way.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Well, no more Russian money means they have to raise funds the old fashioned way.

That's one heck of a lot of 7-11s to knock over.

1 hour ago, Left Shift said:

That's one heck of a lot of 7-11s to knock over.

Bastard steals my line 50% of the time!...... You need to spend less time on line, yer making me look slack! ;)

I’m perfectly fine with this, despite being a righty, gun owner. They’re just as radical as the far left gun grabbers. I’d love if both sides could talk like grownups about realistic legislation regarding guns, without the dependence on lobbyist cash. 

And, I will never join the NRA. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Monkey said:

I’m perfectly fine with this, despite being a righty, gun owner. They’re just as radical as the far left gun grabbers. I’d love if both sides could talk like grownups about realistic legislation regarding guns, without the dependence on lobbyist cash. 

I joined in the late 70s which, unfortunately, was just about the time they we're shifting heavily into politics.  At some point it got to be too much and I quit. I think the tipping point for me was a claim in their monthly mag, American Rifleman, that pro gun polices in a particular city had dropped the crime rate. A bit of pre- internet research on my part revealed the crime rate had actually dropped the same rate nationally.  

I just got the impression I was being bullshitted, so I did not renew my membership. 

Years later I adopted two kids within the extended family after the death of their parents. With more people in the house the risk to reward ratio wasn't worth it, so I got rid of the guns. I think it was also about this time I got over the idea that someone was going to break into the house and kill all of us at any moment. 

• Like 5

Once you realize that no one is coming to kill you and your family life gets much less scary and a gun seems like a really bad idea.

28 minutes ago, benwynn said:

I joined in the late 70s which, unfortunately, was just about the time they we're shifting heavily into politics.  At some point it got to be too much and I quit. I think the tipping point for me was a claim in their monthly mag, American Rifleman, that pro gun polices in a particular city had dropped the crime rate. A bit of pre- internet research on my part revealed the crime rate had actually dropped the same rate nationally.  

I just got the impression I was being bullshitted, so I did not renew my membership. 

Years later I adopted two kids within the extended family after the death of their parents. With more people in the house the risk to reward ratio wasn't worth it, so I got rid of the guns. I think it was also about this time I got over the idea that someone was going to break into the house and kill all of us at any moment. 

We just sold our house, and, being forced by real estate agents unwilling to interrupt the flow of a showing by disabling the home alarm, to leave the alarm off, and discovered that there weren’t hordes of evildoers waiting into break into the house.  It feels strange to turn on the alarm now.  

2 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Dana Loesch can fall back on her beers supplement ads or maybe hawk silver and gold

She can always sell pussy if it comes to that.

I suspect she'd fetch a pretty good price.

4 minutes ago, Amati said:

We just sold our house, and, being forced by real estate agents unwilling to interrupt the flow of a showing by disabling the home alarm, to leave the alarm off, and discovered that there weren’t hordes of evildoers waiting into break into the house.  It feels strange to turn on the alarm now.  

I don't think I could ever go back to living in a place where locking the doors is a thing, much less having an alarm.

16 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

You could light a match on her face.

10 hours ago, Monkey said:

There may be a glimmer of hope for them.

I won't join unless it looks like something this stupid will become law:

On 11/26/2018 at 9:04 PM, dogballs Tom said:

https://dos.elections.myflorida.com/initiatives/fulltext/pdf/70490-1.pdf

Proposed constitutional amendment to ban scary guns in Florida.

BALLOT SUMMARY:

Prohibits possession of assault weapons, defined as semiautomatic rifles and shotguns capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition at once, either in fixed or detachable magazine, or any other ammunition-feeding device. Possession of handguns is not prohibited. Exempts military and law enforcement personnel in their official duties. Exempts and requires registration of assault weapons lawfully possessed prior to this provision’s effective date. Creates criminal penalties for violations of this amendment.

You'd think the chances pretty low. But then, I thought it was a publicity stunt to sell books when Trump announced his candidacy. We might just have enough idiots in Florida to wind up like Canada or Connecticut, with thousands of felons in possession of scary squirrel shooters running around and no one offering any SOLution...

2 minutes ago, dogballs Tom said:

There may be a glimmer of hope for them.

I won't join unless it looks like something this stupid will become law:

You'd think the chances pretty low. But then, I thought it was a publicity stunt to sell books when Trump announced his candidacy. We might just have enough idiots in Florida to wind up like Canada or Connecticut, with thousands of felons in possession of scary squirrel shooters running around and no one offering any SOLution...

How would the NRA help in a fight against a ballot measure? They seem to be good at putting the screws to elected officials. Not sure they have the rep with the public to be a help, they might be a hindrance.

4 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

How would the NRA help in a fight against a ballot measure? They seem to be good at putting the screws to elected officials. Not sure they have the rep with the public to be a help, they might be a hindrance.

My guess would be: the same way John Morgan fought for one. By $peaking about it.

It's true that some are idiots and will only pay attention to the messenger, but some will notice that such a ban is going to land us in the Canadian situation. You know, like California.

11 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Once you realize that no one is coming to kill you and your family life gets much less scary and a gun seems like a really bad idea.

Do you live behind locked doors or are you less fearful like I am?

1 hour ago, dogballs Tom said:

I’ve neither locked doors nor gunz. Not fearful.

1 hour ago, dogballs Tom said:

I only lock my doors when not home.

The NRA income was down $35 million year before last, and down $55 million this year. Their mid-term election spending was about half of the previous election cycles. Wayne-O has a new, supposedly austere face backing him up now. 

Under the group’s bylaws, if longtime figurehead Wayne LaPierre were to become incapacitated, Powell would assume his duties.

(...) “Carry Guard is Josh’s baby,” a source close to the NRA told The Trace. “It was his brainchild, billed by Josh as an integral part of securing the NRA’s finances well into the future. But it’s a huge mess.” 

(...) Membership revenues declined in 2017 by $35 million. And his signature achievement, the NRA’s Carry Guard program, which offers liability insurance to gun-owners, has attracted regulatory actions in multiple states that threatened its access to the basic banking services and corporate insurance coverage it needs to survive.

So  next, Josh Powell has a new austerity campaign, he took away the coffee and water dispensers a few weeks ago.

“Money is going from the programs to fight the legal battle,” the staffer said. “They’re draining money from general operations to push over to [the NRA’s lobbying arm, the Institute for Legislative Action]. They want the money to be able to push the agenda.”

But Josh Powell, with 20 lawsuits facing his pre-NRA business dealings, is quite well paid.

According to the NRA’s latest tax filing, released earlier this month, Powell’s total compensation for 2017 was almost $800,000. Of that, the records say, $102,484 took the form of “taxable personal expenses.”

Josh Powell seems to have hung someone else out to dry for the Carry Guard fiasco. 

The NRA’s 2017 tax filings contain much more detail than they have in prior years, laying bare financial arrangements and transactions that had previously been opaque. One puzzling disclosure regards the compensation of a former executive, Michael Marcellin, who was the NRA’s managing director of affinity and licensing. Marcellin’s duties included managing special offers for members, including insurance products like the controversial Carry Guard program, which sparked multiple investigations...Carry Guard was administered by a firm called Lockton Affinity, which split revenue from the product with the NRA. Lockton cut ties with the NRA after February’s mass shooting in Parkland, Florida, and the two are now embroiled in a lawsuit.

(...) 

The 2017 tax returns identify Marcellin as a “former” employee, yet they indicate that he received a base salary of  $522,426 from the group last year. Supplemental notes, however, say that he received precisely the same amount — $522,426 — from “an unrelated organization, Lockton Affinity LLC.” The notes also say Marcellin received $455,000 from Lockton in 2016, a detail that was “inadvertently excluded” from the previous year’s tax records. In 2016, Marcellin was still a fulltime NRA employee, earning a total of nearly $630,000, according to that year’s filing.

GO CARRY GUARD. Mr. Marcellin has a lawsuit in play.

A ridealong, Jeff with dana.JPG

16 hours ago, dogballs Tom said:

I don't think I could ever go back to living in a place where locking the doors is a thing, much less having an alarm.

for someone who posts under his real name all over the internet, you are really stupid about what you brag about. You know this thing isn't private, right?

anways, now back to the conservative grifter class. Go NRA! Fleece the rubes!

15 hours ago, Ishmael said:
15 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I admit she has a specific attractiveness, in a rather severe sense.

I am of the age that a simple donkey-bonk isn't enough.  I'd like to also have a conversation.

If she spoke when we were "getting busy", I'd lose interest.

17 hours ago, benwynn said:

I was in around the same time, maybe a little earlier around age 12. I learned to handle a gun safely, shoot dime sized groups, wear orange during hunting season, lock up guns when not in use, and so on. All very worthwhile. They had not yet mutated into the fear selling monstrosity they are today. They don't resemble anything like their old self.

55 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

I am of the age that a simple donkey-bonk isn't enough.  I'd like to also have a conversation.

If she spoke when we were "getting busy", I'd lose interest.

I like strong women, but not female terminators

-DSK

17 hours ago, benwynn said:

I've regaled the forum with my stories about driving out two home invaders-- one with a boiling pot of pasta water and one with golden retriever. 

My current rescue dog-- an 80lb German Shepard mix--  thinks he's in charge of security for the whole neighborhood and is very skeptical about anybody he meets. He is simply not a friendly dog and his teeth are H U G E.  He's actually a big pain in the ass out in the world and backpacking because all he wants to do is set up a perimeter and challenge anybody that comes near and he's very intimidating.  On the other hand, for home security,  I couldn't think of something more effective.  His bark is about as loud as a jet engine and the mail lady typically gets the hell off the porch as fast as she can. 

I have no doubt he would tear the throat out of any home invader before you could say "get the squirrel shooter!" 

1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

I picture her in leather and thigh high boots.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I picture her in leather and thigh high boots.

I picture her doing a headstand in a foot of pig shit.

Have any of the top eschelon of the NRA been seen in Moscow lately?

Looking at condos maybe?

Time to audit the NRA’s books?

20 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Once your realise that fear of a slave descendant breaking the door down is irrational ...

It's a race drive thing.

23 hours ago, Amati said:

Back when I had a house we never locked the back door. It was an old house, with old doors. A good hard shove or two seconds with a crowbar would have opened it anyway but might damage the frame.

I had a key...I think...but I had a lot of keys back then.

When we were showing it for, the realtor kept locking the door after he showed it and locking me out.

After I had to go into the shed and get out a ladder to climb through an unlocked window in the second floor bathroom I started leaving a spare key in the shed instead.

I've never lived in fear, but living in NYC you do get a sense of caution.

On 10/11/2018 at 9:55 PM, Mid said:

The National Rifle Association (NRA) has spent conservatively during the 2018 midterm election season, dropping campaign donations to Republican candidates by 90 percent from previous years. Recent reports of increased debt, reduced cash flow, insurance troubles and legal issues linking the organization to Russian officials could be behind the tightening purse strings.

The NRA has spent $1.6 million in donations this election cycle, a massive drop in donation money compared to the 2014 midterms where they invested $16 million in GOP candidates, and $32 million during the 2016 presidential election season, according to Salon.

https://hillreporter.com/nra-campaign-donations-down-90-amidst-reports-of-rocky-financials-9947

I shall send them my Thoughts and Prayers.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Theires thats much biodiesel?                                 :)

17 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:
25 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

I shall send them my Thoughts and Prayers.

You praye?

You think everyone that sends "Thoughts and Prayers" actually gets down on their knees and beseeches the almighty?

8 hours ago, Clove Hitch said:

I've regaled the forum with my stories about driving out two home invaders-- one with a boiling pot of pasta water and one with golden retriever. 

My current rescue dog-- an 80lb German Shepard mix--  thinks he's in charge of security for the whole neighborhood and is very skeptical about anybody he meets. He is simply not a friendly dog and his teeth are H U G E.  He's actually a big pain in the ass out in the world and backpacking because all he wants to do is set up a perimeter and challenge anybody that comes near and he's very intimidating.  On the other hand, for home security,  I couldn't think of something more effective.  His bark is about as loud as a jet engine and the mail lady typically gets the hell off the porch as fast as she can. 

I have no doubt he would tear the throat out of any home invader before you could say "get the squirrel shooter!" 

I had a Golden Retriever I affectionately referred to as a "Golden Non-Retriever".   It would watch the ball fly, look at me as if to compliment me on the throw, then lie down.  Inside, it preferred to lay in doorways.  My home defense strategy was that an invader would trip over her in the dark.

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Theires thats much biodiesel?                                 :)

Thilley, beeodeeselle onlhy hesplodes hunder prresser.......

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, benwynn said:

I had a Golden Retriever I affectionately referred to as a "Golden Non-Retriever".   It would watch the ball fly, look at me as if to compliment me on the throw, then lie down.  Inside, it preferred to lay in doorways.  My home defense strategy was that an invader would trip over her in the dark.

Get a Chessie. Not only do they retrieve, ripping body parts off trespassers is a hobby for them. A couple clueless home invaders climbed up on my deck to get in the house while I was in Hawaii. Apparently I missed the two thieves setting a land speed record running down our long driveway with 100 pounds of dog close behind :lol:

1 minute ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Get a Chessie. Not only do they retrieve, ripping body parts off trespassers is a hobby for them. A couple clueless home invaders climbed up on my deck to get in the house while I was in Hawaii. Apparently I missed the two thieves setting a land speed record running down our long driveway with 100 pounds of dog close behind :lol:

After the Golden croaked, I've been dog free.  Dogs are a pain in the ass.  I love them to death, but just can't deal with the overhead. 

17 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

OK                           :)

Thessr  betwn ttee aruddd fundat drundd. 

1 hour ago, benwynn said:

Thessr  betwn ttee aruddd fundat drundd. 

Whudde?

3 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

You think everyone that sends "Thoughts and Prayers" actually gets down on their knees and beseeches the almighty?

Most everyone who says that are media creatures.  

As are we all here? 101011001101(!)

53 minutes ago, Amati said:

Most everyone who says that are media creatures.  

As are we all here? 101011001101(!)

7 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

A ten secant plee fore helpe at a redlite counttes as prayere.                         :)

And now a light amusement of sorts!

A short poem with an emoji affixed, entitled

‘Spelling Mayhaps Hath Dire Consequences, Even In Most Solemn Prayer At A Brothel,  Roxanne’

(in the style of e e cummings, no less)

u b

comp

lex

beast

ie

mr snags  

(the

2!

thee)

&

ne

va

da 

just !

seceded !

from 

redlite 

cow

n

ties in

ne

va

da

and

joinedupwithutah.

:)

On 11/30/2018 at 6:40 PM, B.J. Porter said:

Back when I had a house we never locked the back door. It was an old house, with old doors. A good hard shove or two seconds with a crowbar would have opened it anyway but might damage the frame.

I had a key...I think...but I had a lot of keys back then.

When we were showing it for, the realtor kept locking the door after he showed it and locking me out.

After I had to go into the shed and get out a ladder to climb through an unlocked window in the second floor bathroom I started leaving a spare key in the shed instead.

I've never lived in fear, but living in NYC you do get a sense of caution.

That’s the way I usually live. My side door is unlocked right now. However, there was a time in my life that I absolutely felt the need for the gun I own, and probably will again in a few years. It’s not the imaginary street thug I worry about. I have an unstable brother that occasionally gets black out drunk and goes completely off the rails. It’s hard to explain, but because he’s adopted and I’m not, when he goes crazy, I’m apparently the cause of everything wrong in his life. To give you an idea of the crazy rage, he made it through a deadbolted steel door already, and I’ve ended up in the ER. I will admit the first two rounds in my gun are loaded with “illegal” non lethal rounds made myself because I’d prefer not to kill my brother, but if that’s not enough to allow me to escape, so be it. I have no illusions about defending my house, just me. 

I get a few years off because he’s in prison for hitting a cop.