Sign in to follow this  
Defy

Anyone sailed a Hobie and a Corsair?

Hello all, longtime lurker first post.

currently on the hunt for a F24mk2 or a Dash and I have a few questions for owners.  Not purchasing till the spring.  My experience with sailing comes from many years with Hobie 16s, sunfish, lasers, and currently my Hobie Tandem Island.  The wife and 2 girls (7and 5 years old) love the Island on warm days but can’t stand the wet ride on cooler days so I am looking for something bigger.  On to the questions

1. Rigging an f242 compared to a Hobie 16 from trailer to sailer it was always about 20-30 min job to unstrap, setup and launch.  F24 double that or more?  Most like will store on a trailer mast up at the marina but if I have to trailer from home I am trying to see how long.

2.  Anyone have a video of a complete setup from pulling up to the ramp to pushing it into the water?  I have seen videos of raising the mast but not a full setup.  Any setup checklists out there?  Me thinks: Un-strap mast, pin mast, setup raising rigging, organize lines, raise mast, set the stays, route lines, setup sails and sheets, float off trailer, motor out, deploy amas, raise sails.  What big stuff am I missing?

3.  Last question do I keep my Hobie TI?  I have the torqueedo motor with it and could get about 7-8k in resale which would help with the new boat.  Will I regret it like I did selling my 16?  The F24 is a much faster more like my 16 so I think I will be ok with it but not sure.

Thanks!

Hi Defy

I can shed a little bit of light on this. I have previously owned a Hobie 16 currently own a Hobie Tiger, I also had a F24 Mk1 and now own a pulse 600.

if you have the mast up on a F24 kept on a trailer near a ramp, it should be a quick 10 mins to drop in, unfold and get sailing (provided the sails are furled on the boom/jib furler). if you have to get the mast up, put sails on, add at least 30 mins and more if you have to untie the rigging if you drive a long way. I kept mine in a marina folded up ready to go. I keep the pulse on a floating dock which is ideal for it as its so light and easy to handle by two people. an F242 would be fair heavier but a trailer lunch with the rig up should be straight forward. it always takes longer to sort out rigging then you think. I think I did 1hr once from mast down to on the water.

Speedwise the F242 should be faster then the Hobie 16 so I wouldn't bother with the Hobie TI. sell it and get a ISUP for light wind days and messing around with the kids.

hope this helps

I owned a H14 and a H16 and sailed lasers and now have a F242 that I keep in my driveway so I think I can answer some of your questions (no experience with the TI though)...

Setup time can vary quite a bit depending on how you organize stuff. I generally assume 45min from pulling up to the ramp to sailing but have done it in 30 and could save another 5min with a roller boom. The key is to leave as many things as possible ready for next time when you put things away. If you don't have too long of a drive you can get away with less strapping down etc... I leave the stays attached and just coil them around the winches (you want to get synthetic for that as cables were a real pain to work with), leave the trailer winch line where it is so you have the right amount un-coiled for raising the mast next time, leave the spinnaker and screecher sheets on, etc... I just put a tarp over the whole boat when I get home so I don't have to worry about things staying "out".

I recently modified the mast raising setup so that I can leave most if it setup when I take the mast down, which really helps and will modify the aft mast support so I can leave it on when sailing. Good planning helps as well as the trips to the ground/car and back on the boat are what really waste time.

Right now hanking on the jib and feeding the slugs of the main in the track are the most time consuming tasks so I know that with a roller furling jib (without a rigid extrusion as these are a pain to handle) and the main furled on the boom you could do it consistently in less than 30min (or if you have competent help you can do both a the same time while motoring out.

I found putting the mast up on the H16 to be more difficult an annoying than the F-24 (but of course a bit faster) but I ended up selling the H16 as it really wasn't significantly less work to take it sailing than the F-24 so it was basically redundant...

I've been meaning to do a full setup video but never got around to it but you got the idea. You will love the boat: it sails like a tamed Hobie except it tacks way better and is very forgiving, gives you grin inducing reaches and if you slow down it's handles rough conditions surprisingly well. It's hard to imagine a better all round day sailor...

If you are organized and the boat is set up properly it should take about 15 minutes.  Watch the West System G32 demo on YouTube.

I've owned both Hobie Getaway and F242.  Getaway was faster to get to sailing from the trailer, but not much.  F242 takes between half hour to hour to go from mast down at launch ramp to motoring out the marina (I hoisted mainsail after leaving marina).  Takes a little longer if you are rigging spinnaker and if your jib is not roller furled.  Easy one man operation for setup...I raced beercans with my F242 so did it weekly for 5 years during race season.  Easy peasy.  Both boats have their charms, but I sold the Getaway since I just like trimarans better (not a hiker).  

Awesome, thanks for all the info.  Really eased my fears.  I can keep at at the marina for 30 bucks a month on a trailer so it's a no brainier rather than dealing with cleaning the bottom or anti-fouling paint.  Now I just need to shake down my wife for the 30k I need to get the boat. (we'll 20k if I sell the Hobie and some stuff)  

I have found a few here on the east coast and really would like to get a Dash if I can even thought about a new F-22 or the 760.  I got to see the F-22 at the MD boat show and I like the centerboard option opens up the cabin.  Might also be interested in finding a 27/28 footer just to have a little bigger cabin.  The plan it to mostly be a day sailor but some weekend camping trips, pitch a tent on the tramps maybe if the cabin is too tight.  I would like to explore the Chesapeake with it. 

sealion- you read my mind on the sup.  I have a few (isup, 10'6 Bote, 12'Bote and a Hobie Eclipse) and the kids little cheesy pelican yaks.  That was going to be my next question is how do people strap their SUPs or kayaks to it?  On my TI i strap it under the tramps but figured you can't do that on the F24. 

Good evening,

With our F 9, it would take me 15 minutes to get the boat rigged up from looking like this, to jib on deck and sheets bent on and to casting the lines off. Doing it solo. 

The secret is all in how you stow things.

Packing up took a bit longer cause I had to fold the jib by myself while drinking a beer (also by myself).

Shite, I miss my Farrier and my Hobie 14.

image.jpg

One thing to remember is that a Hobie needs to be fully rigged and you need to have all your sailing gear on before you launch

With a boat like the f-22, you could launch it off the trailer and then unfold it and even put the mast up on your way out of the marina/down the harbour

8 hours ago, teamvmg said:

One thing to remember is that a Hobie needs to be fully rigged and you need to have all your sailing gear on before you launch

With a boat like the f-22, you could launch it off the trailer and then unfold it and even put the mast up on your way out of the marina/down the harbour

Good point.  I think I will figure a way to leave the mast up and everything will be just fine. I’ll just pack it up for the winter and storms.

The TI is such a different and unique boat that it's almost impossible to compare it to anything else. In the end you have to ask yourself which boat will you and your family end up sailing the most often. Which offers you the most versatility. Keep or buy THAT one.

4 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

The TI is such a different and unique boat that it's almost impossible to compare it to anything else. In the end you have to ask yourself which boat will you and your family end up sailing the most often. Which offers you the most versatility. Keep or buy THAT one.

Yeah.  We sailed the TI a bit and love it when we want to get wet or only have an hour or two to sail.  I can come home at 5 be in the water by 515 and putz around till the sun goes down.  So for that case it is awesome.  

Now on the weekends when we have more time we would like to sail farther (with the TI we stay around 5 miles ish from home) and sail in cooler weather (the TI is only sailable with my kids when its swimming weather).

So my thoughts were sell the TI (or trade it, maybe a down payment...) and get a F24MK2 and keep the paddle boards.  Then in the afternoons after work we could play on the paddle boards and take the F24 out on the weekends.  At our house I live across from the channel so I don't have a full time slip but next to our boat ramp there are 2 places to tie up for the weekend.  So I could put it in on a Friday evening and leave it all weekend and pull it on Sunday. 

Still lots of options and I'll research this thing to death until if find the perfect boat.     

On 10/11/2018 at 7:58 PM, Defy said:

Awesome, thanks for all the info.  Really eased my fears.  I can keep at at the marina for 30 bucks a month on a trailer so it's a no brainier rather than dealing with cleaning the bottom or anti-fouling paint.  Now I just need to shake down my wife for the 30k I need to get the boat. (we'll 20k if I sell the Hobie and some stuff)  

I have found a few here on the east coast and really would like to get a Dash if I can even thought about a new F-22 or the 760.  I got to see the F-22 at the MD boat show and I like the centerboard option opens up the cabin.  Might also be interested in finding a 27/28 footer just to have a little bigger cabin. 

Beautifully maintained f27 in southern nj right now for 30.  You don’t see them that price and that good looking that often.  As for the 242, great boat, but a bit underpowered for light air and chop, so need to keep it light.   The carbon stick on the 22r show boat is about right for Maryland in the summer, or inland lakes.

good luck on the hunt

10 hours ago, Loose Cannon said:

Beautifully maintained f27 in southern nj right now for 30.  You don’t see them that price and that good looking that often.  As for the 242, great boat, but a bit underpowered for light air and chop, so need to keep it light.   The carbon stick on the 22r show boat is about right for Maryland in the summer, or inland lakes.

good luck on the hunt

Haven't looked at a F27 as I have been trying to stay cheap and new as I can find which is been 2000-2003 F242's around 30-40k range.  Under-powered is OK for my first one (I am a realist and know I will upgrade).  My goal is a fun day cruiser, some over nights (tents are OK), would like to hit 8-10kts on most trips with the occasional dip into the teens.  Right now on my Hobie TI 6 kts is screaming to the kids and they love it.  We live about 20 miles from Cape Charles by water and our plan to sail over there on a Saturday morning, hang out at the beaches, camp, come home Sunday morning.        

Where did you see that F27?  I have been searching c-list and a couple of yacht sites.  

6 kt on TI is as exciting as 10 on an F242.  The TI is closer to the water and less substantial so you "feel" the ride speed more.  Don't be so sure you will eventually upgrade.  F24s are fun, easy, forgiving boats that really do most things well.  Too heavy/fat for racing in under teen wind, but still will get you there in anything anyone else can sail in.  At the other end, you won't even have to reef in 30kt winds (in 12 years, I think I reefed mine only 3 or 4 times).  

5 hours ago, MultiThom said:

6 kt on TI is as exciting as 10 on an F242.  The TI is closer to the water and less substantial so you "feel" the ride speed more. 

Well-said, Thom. How fast it feels should be rated like windchill, except more complicated... fast on a Hobie 16 banana-rockered boat is different from fast on a Hobie 18 where you sit further off the water, and that's still different than a Hobie Tiger F18 with even taller hulls and more volume in the bows. Then again, each of these boats may feel faster with a mesh tramp than a vinyl tramp, with less spray, especially if you can get a hull up far enough to avoid sitting in a puddle.

Sailing feels faster than motoring, too, somehow... and I don't just think it is the windshield involved!

Test drive whenever you can in multiple breezes and sea states.

Randii

10 hours ago, MultiThom said:

6 kt on TI is as exciting as 10 on an F242.  The TI is closer to the water and less substantial so you "feel" the ride speed more.  Don't be so sure you will eventually upgrade.  F24s are fun, easy, forgiving boats that really do most things well.  Too heavy/fat for racing in under teen wind, but still will get you there in anything anyone else can sail in.  At the other end, you won't even have to reef in 30kt winds (in 12 years, I think I reefed mine only 3 or 4 times).  

Exactly what I thought.  F242 is probably the boat for us as I want easy setup and brain dead easy to sail.  Not looking for a racer just a solid day cruiser with a little speed.  I have hit mid teens on a Hobie 18 in chop before and thought I was going to die so I agree speed is relative.  I have a had a couple of calls on the TI but probably won't sell it till the spring as it's too cold to try out now.   

On 10/25/2018 at 8:24 AM, Defy said:

H

Where did you see that F27?  I have been searching c-list and a couple of yacht sites.  

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/76113.  Been talking to him about it and he has been very forthcoming.  The guys name is Rich.

the boat sounds like exactly what you are looking for,   Good luch

On 10/25/2018 at 10:10 PM, Defy said:

Exactly what I thought.  F242 is probably the boat for us as I want easy setup and brain dead easy to sail.  Not looking for a racer just a solid day cruiser with a little speed.  I have hit mid teens on a Hobie 18 in chop before and thought I was going to die so I agree speed is relative.  I have a had a couple of calls on the TI but probably won't sell it till the spring as it's too cold to try out now.   

I’m on the Chesapeake and have a f24. Great little boat! My wife and 2 kids dig it, it’s plenty fast for them, yet I like to push it when solo or friends. I grew up sailing hobies and made the transition to a corsair when I started a family.

Anyone in Hampton roads/Norfolk area this weekend with an f24 that I could see or maybe help sail?  Sorry if that is a weird question but I am trying to decide between a f27 and a f24.  I have been sailing on a 27 but not a 24 yet.

On 10/11/2018 at 10:01 PM, Defy said:

Hello all, longtime lurker first post.

currently on the hunt for a F24mk2 or a Dash and I have a few questions for owners.  Not purchasing till the spring.  My experience with sailing comes from many years with Hobie 16s, sunfish, lasers, and currently my Hobie Tandem Island.  The wife and 2 girls (7and 5 years old) love the Island on warm days but can’t stand the wet ride on cooler days so I am looking for something bigger.  On to the questions

1. Rigging an f242 compared to a Hobie 16 from trailer to sailer it was always about 20-30 min job to unstrap, setup and launch.  F24 double that or more?  Most like will store on a trailer mast up at the marina but if I have to trailer from home I am trying to see how long.

2.  Anyone have a video of a complete setup from pulling up to the ramp to pushing it into the water?  I have seen videos of raising the mast but not a full setup.  Any setup checklists out there?  Me thinks: Un-strap mast, pin mast, setup raising rigging, organize lines, raise mast, set the stays, route lines, setup sails and sheets, float off trailer, motor out, deploy amas, raise sails.  What big stuff am I missing?

3.  Last question do I keep my Hobie TI?  I have the torqueedo motor with it and could get about 7-8k in resale which would help with the new boat.  Will I regret it like I did selling my 16?  The F24 is a much faster more like my 16 so I think I will be ok with it but not sure.

Thanks!

Hi Defy,

Have owned both for extended periods of time, and have also sailed with other folks on theirs while I have owned different boats.

1 - Mast up storage for my F24mk2 was 10 minutes to sailing from dry. Boom bag for the main, roller furling jib, beam bolts and handle in a pocket inside the cabin door reachable from inside. For Trailer launching was 5 minutes extra then the Air-dock we stored ours on. Mast down was an extra 15 minutes.

2 - Sorry we don't still have our setup lists around, it has been a few years. For mast-up setup for us was - open Air-dock valves, check motor, prep tiller and main-sheet (used main-sheet to hold tiller in position), open hatch, raise pop-top (I'm 6'1" tall and it really helps getting in/out), take out folding arm bolts and handle, take out winch handle and put in pocket, prep jib sheets, unzip boom bag, undo forward mooring lines, back into cockpit, engine on, undo rear mooring lines, by this time air-dock was fully lowered, reverse out, put engine into minimum forward thrust, unfold port amas and put in rear bolt, unfold starboard amas and put in rear bolt, then motor off, and on the fly run forward and put in each of the forward bolts (obviously it doesn't matter which amas you do first), raise main once head to wind, turn off motor, raise it out of the water and bear away and cruise out under main, unfurl jib at the starting sequence, this is single handing I mean, about 10 minutes from Valves open to sailing under main.

3 - To be honest, I would get rid of other boats and keep the tri, but that's your money. Of course I also don't know what you want with the other boat, class racing, single handing... IDK. For me, the only boat I truely regret selling, is the F24mk2. Best boat ever, could single hand it in 30 knots of wind, could sail it surprisingly fast, good racing, good to take kids out, good to sleep on, good to take girls out, it was the greatest boat ever (before the F22 came out, now I think that is king). 

1 hour ago, Defy said:

Anyone in Hampton roads/Norfolk area this weekend with an f24 that I could see or maybe help sail?  Sorry if that is a weird question but I am trying to decide between a f27 and a f24.  I have been sailing on a 27 but not a 24 yet.

This is a tough question, I can't answer 100% as I have never been on a 27, but... I feel like the space gained is minimal, the design of the 27 is older, the 27 is heavier, and will be more work.

As I am coming back to the market at some point, I would be going a 22/24 or a 31/9r, as the 27 sits in a middle ground and misses a lot of things like the headroom of the 30 footer. I would go the smaller if I was day sailing more as it's just a slightly smaller boat and will be nicer to handle, or the 31 to spend serious time on-board long-term cruising, as it has living space not camping, and has headroom.

Back from the dead!  Just came across this thread and thought I’d add some closure (I know folks were really hanging on for an update).

We did buy an F24 but we got the Mk1 as I wanted the centerboard option.  We have had it for a season and a half now and like my Hobies I find a sandbar or 2 every time I sail so the centerboard option was the right choice.  

The family loves it and after sailing on a buddies 38ft mono there is no way I’ll go mono (well nothing less than 50ft).  6 kids and 4 adults on the F24 and it doesn’t even bat-an-eye, 8-10 knots easy.  Now I do have to do some weight management if I want to get it into the teens but 8-10 is plenty enough with kids “surfing” on the floats.  

EDF6D519-99D0-4B86-9FDE-3B55E49CF407.jpeg

• Like 2

Those kids will have memories that might make them sailors a few decades from now. 

Good on you, Defy. B)

• Like 1

All fboats are stupid fun to sail, you almost always wind up with a smile on your face.  I am still looking for some flavor of one, just not sure which one.  One thing I would note is my first experience with fboats was a trip to a Corsair event in Niceville.  A guy had just bought a C27 and it was on a trailer since the last day of racing had been canceled due to no wind.  He was taking it apart to trailer it home and I watched him for about 10 minutes.  Then an old hand with another C27 at the dock got it out of the water and on a trailer.  He quickly lowered the mast stowed the stays and everything else and pulled out of the marina while the new guy was still working (with his wife) on getting the mast down.  I did go to Jacksonville and looked at a C24 for sale.  The owner and his experienced friend got it off the trailer and in the water and was pulling the rope to start the outboard in 37 minutes by my watch.  No question you really get faster putting the boat together and taking it apart the longer you own it.

Congrats Defy.  Which boat gave the bigger smile, TI or Corsair?  I'm curious if you sold the TI?  

Sold the TI and got my daughter her own little dingy to play with around the house when time/weather doesn’t let us sail the F24.  The F24 wins the smiles per mile everyday.  I do think I sailed the TI more though because every time we take the F24 out we try to make it a whole day thing but we still love it and it’s a proper sailboat.  

Setup is not that bad it is nerve racking raising that mast but not really hard and with synthetic shrouds it’s easy to manage the lines.  Took me about 2 hours from full winter storage (sails/lines in bags, mast on sawhorses in the back yard) to ready to sail.  

F9FA72A5-176A-434D-A149-0DED9CE39448.jpeg