GauchoGreg

Where is the Ed's FP Story Praising Trump for Ocean Clean Up?

The Ed must be busy, or trying to get the talking points about how this is an evil distraction:

It’s called Save Our Seas, and it aims to tackle the problem of plastic trash in the world’s oceans.

The law renews the existing Marine Debris Program for another five years. And it allows governors to request a declaration of a “severe marine debris event” in order to get resources to clean it up. The law also encourages the executive branch to take up the problem of plastic waste internationally.

Academic researchers say five nations are responsible for more than half of the plastic waste in the oceans: China, Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam.

President Trump fit that into one of his major themes: that other countries are taking advantage of the United States.

“A vast, tremendous, unthinkable amount of garbage is floating into our coast. In particular along the West Coast. And we’re charged with removing it, which is a very unfair situation,” he said in an Oval Office signing ceremony. “It comes from other countries very far away.”

Trump, touching on another theme, claimed previous administrations did nothing to take on the problem, even though the law extends a marine debris program established in the George W. Bush administration. Trump said he’s already notified most of the countries responsible.

“And we’ve notified them very strongly,” he added.

Sullivan and his wife stood beside the president, along with Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I., who co-sponsored the bill. Whitehouse and Sullivan make an unusual pair: Whitehouse is one of the Senate’s most vocal champion of taking action against climate change; Sullivan isn’t convinced the problem is man-made.

Even though Whitehouse is an outspoken Trump critic, there was no disagreement on the new law. Sullivan took the opportunity to give kudos to the president.

“What the president said about the administration, the Trump administration, doing a great job on this – It’s an underreported story,” Sullivan said. “But they are really taking the lead globally. And Mr. President, we want to thank you.”

“Well, I want to thank you,” Trump responded, “and thank Sheldon. Come here Sheldon. See? We can shake hands.”

Kevin Allexon, Ocean Conservancy’s senior manager of government relations, called it a “modest but important” bill

He says the real value of the bill, besides continuing the Marine Debris Program, is that it makes the executive branch take notice and address the international problem.

“Whether that’s in the context of trade negotiations, or it’s in the context of international scientific collaboration, or it’s in the context of foreign development assistance,” Allexon said.

Allexon says the countries that contribute most to the problem of plastic waste in the ocean are rapidly developing and don’t have adequate infrastructure for managing garbage.

The bill passed the Senate unanimously, without a roll call vote. Alaska Congressman Don Young sponsored the House version of the bill.

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2018/10/11/trump-signs-sullivan-bill-aimed-at-reducing-plastic-waste-in-ocean/

I'm sure the Ed will be jumping on this any second.

He signed something worthwhile?   That is indeed newsworthy and should be immediately verified.   Was there tag along money redistribution for the half percenters?   

Edit.   I’m not sure about “blue technologies” but it looks like a clean bill.   They also want to avoid another El Faro.  https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/756/text

SEC. 215. TIMELY WEATHER FORECASTS.

Not later than 1 year after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Commandant shall seek to enter into negotiations through the International Maritime Organization to amend the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea to require that vessels subject to the requirements of such Convention receive timely synoptic and graphical chart weather forecasts.

9 hours ago, GauchoGreg said:

The Ed must be busy, or trying to get the talking points about how this is an evil distraction:

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2018/10/11/trump-signs-sullivan-bill-aimed-at-reducing-plastic-waste-in-ocean/

Be careful what you wish for. He just might do it and put a little dent in your victimhood bit.  

10 hours ago, GauchoGreg said:

oh who gives a flying fuck what that lying sack of shit has to say? and did you actually read what he said? blame it on someone else. what are his solutions?

oh that's right, he doesn't have any.  yeah, he gives a fuck about the oceans,  you bet he does. suddenly, he's a champion of the environment? how's that corrupt, anti-environment epa working out? did you forget about one of your heroes, scott fucking pruitt?

oh wait, no need for a trumpsucker try to answer anything that isn't already spoon fed to them by sean hannitty.

seriously, did you fall and hit your head? this orange traitor is the same climate denier who said it was all a "chinese hoax".  so go fuck yourself.

• Like 5

Instant-Pot-Popcorn-002.jpg

I got a small bowl to share with all of you, because I doubt this is going to last long.

• Like 2

Infographic: The Countries Polluting The Oceans The Most   | Statista

as most of that plastic originally comes from the USA to begin with, It's not such a huge injustice that the USA ultimately disposes of it.

I suspect the problem is a tad more complicated than the article in the OP suggests..I can't access the source data http://science.sciencemag.org/content/347/6223/768/tab-figures-data but other sites suggest that the USA ship shit tons of plastic waste to china for recycling and a hell of a lot of this shit comes from ships at sea.

Still..if Tump was proud of this achievement, I'm sure we would have heard all about it on Fox.

The study measured this by looking at the labels on the trash..a rather ad hoc way of doing things. of course everything in the ocean is going to end up on your coast..you kind of get in the way. 

5 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

as most of that plastic originally comes from the USA to begin with, It's not such a huge injustice that the USA ultimately disposes of it.

I'm pretty sure we are a big net importer of plastic.

21 hours ago, Editor said:

oh who gives a flying fuck what that lying sack of shit has to say? and did you actually read what he said? blame it on someone else. what are his solutions?

oh that's right, he doesn't have any.  yeah, he gives a fuck about the oceans,  you bet he does. suddenly, he's a champion of the environment? how's that corrupt, anti-environment epa working out? did you forget about one of your heroes, scott fucking pruitt?

oh wait, no need for a trumpsucker try to answer anything that isn't already spoon fed to them by sean hannitty.

seriously, did you fall and hit your head? this orange traitor is the same climate denier who said it was all a "chinese hoax".  so go fuck yourself.

Too funny.  You really suck at this.   Your ignorant rants and arrogance make it all too painfully clear you could not possibly get out of your own little bubble and see that none of the DC politicians really give a fuck about your cause, and it is better to take what you can get while you can get it.  An objective person knows that and does not get caught up in "your team sucks" because they know they either don't have a team, or their own teams sucks, too.  

Since you commingled ocean clean-up and global warming.... let's talk about power generation, the solution to the problems we face is NOT in Cap&Trade, wind farms, Solyndra, etc. ... all of that crap leaves us painfully short of our energy needs and would lead to decline in quality of life, nor is the solution in Big Oil/Coal, etc., for the reasons we both agree upon.... but rather in modern nuclear (something the Republicans and Democrats are equally shitty for ignoring, all because the are the ultimate in cowards) ... transitioning away from coal/gas...generating the power needed for our industrial / domestic use, transfer petro-powered vehicular fleets to electric/hydrogen, etc.  It is the only way to dramatically reduce CO2 while also improving quality of life and providing the surplus power to desalinate sea water for ag/domestic water use and even have enough power left over to clean up the crap we have already created.  But that does not look good on you bumper sticker.  Nah, you would prefer to try and use Fukushima / Chernobyl as lame excuses not to while thinking you are green for pumping a garbage patch clean up, wind turbines, and sailing.

• Like 1

You go Trump! Wow! A man of action, so much MORE action than that slacker, Obama. How much more? This much!

“And we’ve notified them very strongly,” he added.

you forgot 3 mile island in your rant. :rolleyes:

and ask the survivors of Fukushima and Chernobyl if they are "lame" excuses...Another "exceptional" American.

How about we start cleaning up the mess resultant of our "quality of life" before we start adding radioactive icing?

(With Fracking Cherries)

2 hours ago, GauchoGreg said:

...Nah, you would prefer to try and use Fukushima / Chernobyl as lame excuses...

Uh... Those aren't lame excuses. Those are valid considerations.  Should these episodes be completely discounted? 

20 minutes ago, benwynn said:
2 hours ago, GauchoGreg said:

..Nah, you would prefer to try and use Fukushima / Chernobyl as lame excuses...

Uh... Those aren't lame excuses. Those are valid considerations.  Should these episodes be completely discounted? 

No, absolutely not.  But the reality is that GG is correct that future sustainable and green energy MUST include nuclear power generation.  Period.  

But a couple of things about these "accidents"......  I do not put much credence in using Chernobyl as the main argument against nuke power.....  it happened while the Soviet union was in full and rapid decline and I doubt they were bothering to spend much money on state of the art safety measures on what was already a poor design and construction effort anyway - thank you communism.  The Soviet Navy was also not known for their immaculate nuclear reactor safety record either.  

Fukushima was a result of a lack of imagination to plan for this worst case disaster scenario.  3 Mile Is was mostly due to human error driven by some HMI and training issues using literally "Steam gauge" technology.  I'm not saying all nuke is perfectly safe and not without its drawbacks - but with modern tech, better computer monitoring and such - it can be just as safe as practically any other energy generation source on the planet.  The issue is we've put almost no investment into modern nuke tech and safety.  

You want to solve the global warming and the CO2 issue almost overnight?????  Go nook-a-ler.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

No, absolutely not.  But the reality is that GG is correct that future sustainable and green energy MUST include nuclear power generation.  Period.  

But a couple of things about these "accidents"......  I do not put much credence in using Chernobyl as the main argument against nuke power.....  it happened while the Soviet union was in full and rapid decline and I doubt they were bothering to spend much money on state of the art safety measures on what was already a poor design and construction effort anyway - thank you communism.  The Soviet Navy was also not known for their immaculate nuclear reactor safety record either.  

Fukushima was a result of a lack of imagination to plan for this worst case disaster scenario.  3 Mile Is was mostly due to human error driven by some HMI and training issues using literally "Steam gauge" technology.  I'm not saying all nuke is perfectly safe and not without its drawbacks - but with modern tech, better computer monitoring and such - it can be just as safe as practically any other energy generation source on the planet.  The issue is we've put almost no investment into modern nuke tech and safety.  

You want to solve the global warming and the CO2 issue almost overnight?????  Go nook-a-ler.  

So, basically, one major nuke failure per 20 years is ok by you?

3 minutes ago, Raz'r said:
6 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Well, according to the Global Warming chicken littles (with whom I don't completely disagree with) - the alternative is the complete global disruption of the human population and our rapid complete extinction.  

So yeah, a very isolated and containable incident every 20 years is pretty OK by me if you consider the alternative.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

But why bother when you can have genuinely clean and safe with Wind, solar and wave energy?

These are still in their infancy and the storage of Nuclear waste is still not a problem solved.

Nuclear is like building another freeway, the more power produced the more people use.

Far better to encourage reduction of use and smarter use while further developing and  changing over to clean, renewable and sustainable.

Nuclear has had it's day, missed the boat, the world's moving on.

3 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Well, according to the Global Warming chicken littles (with whom I don't completely disagree with) - the alternative is the complete global disruption of the human population and our rapid complete extinction.  

So yeah, a very isolated and containable incident every 20 years is pretty OK by me if you consider the alternative.

What’s contained about either Chernobyl or Fukushima? Where is the waste from all of the current and old reactors?

its just too fucking expensive.

Just now, Raz'r said:

Ahhhh, so fuck climate change and global warming because it's "just too fucking expensive", right?  Isn't that the argument trump and the R's are making, that it's just too fucking expensive???  

I never pegged you for a trump supporter.  Your father must be proud.

7 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Ahhhh, so fuck climate change and global warming because it's "just too fucking expensive", right?  Isn't that the argument trump and the R's are making, that it's just too fucking expensive???  

Such an idiot. Too much time at altitude and not enough oxygen? Your handlers over there slowly poisoning you?

the cost of nuke power is literally incalculable. Solar, wind, Nat gas, not so much.

6 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

But why bother when you can have genuinely clean and safe with Wind, solar and wave energy?

These are still in their infancy and the storage of Nuclear waste is still not a problem solved.

But...... we've been told we only have 12 years to fix this.  Tech like wind, solar and wave - as you correctly say - are still in their infancy and even if mature could not solve our problems in 12 years or even 24 years.  Nuke can.  It can solve it today. 

And waste storage is not as dire an issue as global human extinction and can be managed for the next several decades easily until a long term cheaper solution can be found.  There are a LOT of empty deserts where Nuke waste can be safely stored.  It just requires political will to overcome the pervasive NIMBY issue.  

LOOK, you guys need to get it through your thick skulls.... you cannot have your cake and eat it too.  You are NOT going to get people to willingly reduce their electricity consumption on a global scale.  It just ain't going to happen.  Our entire planetary infrastructure is built on electrical grids.  So if you believe these dire warnings of global collapse due to rapid GW, then you'd better embrace something that will actually work and manage the downsides (which ARE manageable) rather than pine for what you would like to have instead that has ZERO chance of being nothing more than a side show.  And certainly not in the time frame needed to work.  If we had 200 years.... maybe we could move the global infrastructure over to wind, solar and other renewables.  But I hates to break it to you..... Nuke is the ONLY thing that is here now, is proven and can work on the scale needed.   Why don't you all come on board for the big win?

12 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

What’s contained about either Chernobyl or Fukushima? Where is the waste from all of the current and old reactors?

Interesting that people always focus on the 3 known major accidents.

Wiki has a world list. interesting from the minor to the  fucking terrifying 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_power_accidents_by_country

Canada[edit]

Nuclear power accidents in Canada[11][12][13][14]
Date Location Description Fatalities Cost 
(in millions
2006 US$)
3:07 p.m. Friday, December 12, 1952 CRL, Ontario, Canada The NRX accident. A hydrogen explosion occurred in the reactor core due to a cascade of malfunctions and operator errors. The world's first major nuclear reactor accident.[15] 0 See NRXaccident
May 24, 1958 CRL, Ontario, Canada The NRU accident. A fuel rod caught fire and broke when removed, then dispersed fission products and alpha-emitting particles in the reactor building. 0 See NRUaccident.
November 1978 WR-1 Reactor at Pinawa, Manitoba, Canada LOCA loss of coolant accident. 2,739 litres of coolant oil leaked, most of it into the Winnipeg River. The repair took several weeks for workers to complete.[16] 0 Unknown.
August 1, 1983 Pickering nuclearReactor 2, Pickering, Ontario, Canada LOCA loss of coolant accident. Pressure tube, that holds the fuel bundles, ruptured due to hydriding. All four reactors re-tubed with new materials (Zr-2.5%Nb) over ten years.[17] 0 1 Billion dollars.[18]
March 1986 Bruce nuclearReactor 2, Bruce County, Ontario, Canada LOCA Loss of coolant accident. Pressure tube rupture during pressurizing test (reactor shut down). Pressure tube holds the fuel bundles.[19] 0 Unknown.
August 2, 1992 Pickering nuclearReactor 1, Pickering, Ontario, Canada A Heavy water leak of 2300 trillion becquerels of radioactive tritium into Lake Ontario, resulting in increased levels of tritium in Toronto drinking water .[20] 0 Unknown.
December 10, 1994 Pickering nuclearReactor 2, Pickering, Ontario, Canada LOCA loss of coolant accident. A spill of 185 tonnes of heavy water. The Emergency Core Cooling System was used to prevent a meltdown.[21] 0 Unknown.
June 11, 2002 Bruce nuclearReactor 6, Bruce B station. Bruce County, Ontario, Canada Pressure tube and calandria tube damage during a channel maintenance procedure, required replacement of the 2 tubes.[19] 0 Unknown.
December 21, 2009 Darlington nuclear station. Clarington, Ontario, Canada Around 200,000 litres of water with trace amounts of radioactive isotope tritium coming from a storage tank mistakenly released by workers into Lake Ontario, representing 0.1% of the monthly allowed amounts of tritium for this power plant.[22] 0 Unknown.
March 14, 2011 Pickering nuclearPlant A Pickering, Ontario, Canada A leak of 73 cubic metres (73,000 litres) of demineralized water into Lake Ontario from a failed pump seal. There was negligible risk to the public according to the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission.[23] 0 Unknown.

France[edit]

Nuclear power accidents in France[7][24]
(in millions
2006 US$)
INES 
rating
17 Oct 1969 Loir-et-Cher, France 50 kg of uranium dioxide melted inside of the A1 nuclear reactor of Saint-Laurent-des-Eaux, during a refueling operation 0 Unknown (likely far less than the 13 Mar 1980 accident) 4
25 Jul 1979 Saclay, France Radioactive fluids escaped into drains designed for ordinary wastes, seeping into the local watershed at the Saclay BL3 Reactor 0 5  
13 Mar 1980 Loir-et-Cher, France A malfunctioning cooling system fused fuel elements together at the Saint Laurent A2 reactor, melting two fuel assemblys and forcing an extended shutdown 0 22 4
14 Apr 1984 Bugey, France Electrical cables failed at the command center of the Bugey Nuclear Power Plant and forced a complete shutdown of one reactor 0 2  
21 May 1986 Normandy, France Pipe maintenance at the fuel reprocessing plant at La Hague released a radioactive solution to which three welders and two plant workers were exposed.[25] 0 5  
27 Dec 1999 Blayais, France An unexpectedly strong storm flooded the Blayais Nuclear Power Plant, forcing an emergency shutdown after injection pumps and containment safety systems failed from water damage 0 55 2
21 Jan 2002 Manche, France Control systems and safety valves failed after improper installation of condensers, forcing a two-month shutdown 0 102  
16 May 2004 Cattenom-2, Lorraine, France Sub-standard electrical cable trays at the Cattenom-2 nuclear reactor caused a fire in an electricity tunnel, damaging many safety system cables [26] 0 12 1
13 Jul 2008 Tricastin, France Dozens of litres of wastewater contaminated with uranium were accidentally poured on the ground and runoff into a nearby river 0 7 1
9 Aug 2009 Gravelines, France Assembly system failed to properly eject spent fuel rods from the Gravelines Nuclear Power Plant, causing the fuel rods to jam and the defueling operation to be suspended 0 2 1
5 Apr 2012 Penly, France Fire on a primary pump of the second reactor, followed by a small radioactive leak into the containment 0 ? 1
2017 France, generic 20 reactors of the 1300 MW-class with seismic weaknesses on their emergency diesel generators 0 ? 2

Germany[edit]

Nuclear power accidents in Germany[7][24]
(in millions
2006 US$ million)
1975 Greifswald, East Germany A near core meltdown at Greifswald Nuclear Power Plant: Three out of six cooling water pumps were switched off for a failed test. A fourth pump broke down and control of the reactor was lost. 10 fuel elements were damaged before recovery 0 ?
4 May 1986 Hamm-Uentrop, Germany Operator actions to dislodge damaged fuel elements at the thorium high-temperature reactor released radioactivity to 4 km2 surrounding the facility 0 267
17 Dec 1987 Hessen, Germany Stop valve failed for a moment at Biblis Nuclear Power Plant; contamination of local area in the reactor building 0 13

India[edit]

Nuclear power accidents in India[7][24]
(in millions
2006 US$)
4 May 1987 Kalpakkam, India Fast Breeder Test Reactor at Kalpakkam refuelling accident that ruptures the reactor core, resulting in a two-year shutdown 0 300
10 Sep 1989 Tarapur, Maharashtra, India Operators at the Tarapur Atomic Power Station find that the reactor had been leaking radioactive iodine at more than 700 times normal levels. Repairs to the reactor take more than a year 0 78
13 May 1992 Tarapur, Maharashtra, India A malfunctioning tube causes the Tarapur Atomic Power Station to release 12 curies of radioactivity 0 2
31 Mar 1993 Bulandshahr, Uttar Pradesh, India The Narora Atomic Power Station suffers a fire at two of its steam turbine blades, damaging the heavy water reactor and almost leading to a meltdown 0 220
2 Feb 1995 Kota, Rajasthan, India The Rajasthan Atomic Power Station leaks radioactive helium and heavy water into the Rana Pratap Sagar River, necessitating a two-year shutdown for repairs N/A 280
22 Oct 2002 Kalpakkam, India Almost 100 kg radioactive sodium at a fast breeder reactor leaks into a purification cabin, ruining a number of valves and operating systems 0 30

Japan[edit]

Nuclear power accidents in Japan
(in millions
2006 US$)
INES 
rating
8 Jan 1975 Mihama, Japan Radioactivity released from Mihama nuclear power plant.[27] 0    
2 Nov 1978 Fukushima No1, Japan Japan's first criticality accident at No 3 reactor, this accident was hidden for 29 years and reported on 22 Mar 2007 0    
2 Apr 1979 Tokaimura, Japan Two workers suffer radioactive contamination at the Tokaimura complex.[27] 0    
24–28 Jan 1981 Tsuruga, Japan 29 workers were exposed to radiation.[28] 0    
8 Mar 1981 Tsuruga, Japan 56 workers were exposed to about 45 tonnes of radioactive waste which spilled from storage tanks at the Tsuruga Nuclear Power Plant. The waste was cleaned up with buckets and mops,[29][30] and was also discharged into Tsuruga Bay via the town sewer.[28] At the time, the plant had recorded 30 malfunctions since it was commissioned in 1970.[31] 0    
31 Aug 1985 Fukushima, Japan Fire at Fukushima nuclear power plant during routine shutdown.[27] 0    
23 Jun 1986 Tokaimura, Japan Twelve people suffer "slight" plutonium contamination while inspecting a storeroom.[27] 0    
8 Feb 1991 Fukui, Japan Radioactivity was released from Fukui nuclear power plant after an emergency release valve failed.[27] Officials said the release "did not pose a threat to humans or the environment."[32] 0    
22 Feb 1993 Fukushima, Japan High-pressure steam accident kills one worker and injures two others.[27] 1    
December 1995 Tsuruga, Japan The fast breeder Monju Nuclear Power Plantsodium leak.[29] State-run operator Donen was found to have concealed videotape footage that showed extensive damage to the reactor.[33] 0    
11 March 1997 Tokaimura, Japan The Tokaimura nuclear reprocessing plant fire and explosion. 37 workers were exposed to low doses of radiation. Donen later acknowledged it had initially suppressed information about the fire.[29][33] 0    
18 Jun 1999 Shiga, Japan A fuel loading system malfunctioned and set off an uncontrolled nuclear reaction and explosion.[29] 0    
30 Sept 1999 Tokaimura, Japan The criticality accident at the Tokai fuel fabrication facility.[29] Hundreds of people were exposed to radiation and two workers later died. This is not a nuclear power plant accident, however.[33] 2   4
2002 Onagawa, Japan Two workers were exposed to a small amount of radiation and suffered minor burns during a fire.[33] 0    
9 Aug 2004 Mihama, Japan A main piping burst in the turbine building of the Mihama-3 station; the subsequent investigation revealed a serious lack in systematic inspection in Japanese nuclear plants, which led to a massive inspection program.[34] 5   1
2006 Fukushima No1, Japan A small amount of radioactive steam was released at the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant and it escaped the compound.[33] 0    
16 Jul 2007 Kashiwazaki, Japan A severe earthquake (measuring 6.8 on the Richter magnitude scale) hit the region where Tokyo Electric's Kashiwazaki-Kariwa Nuclear Power Plant is located and radioactive water spilled into the Sea of Japan; as of March 2009, all of the reactors remained shut down for damage verification and repairs. The plant with seven units is the largest single nuclear power station in the world, which now again is shutdown due to the Fukushima accident.[34] 0   1
Dec 2009 Hamaoka, Japan Leakage accident of radioactive water. 34 workers were exposed to radiation 0    
Mar 2011 Fukushima Dai-ichi, Japan The world's second INES 7 accident. A magnitude 9.0 earthquake and associated tsunami triggered cooling problems at Fukushima 1 & 2 stations with several reactors. Loss of coolant resulted in meltdowns in three units and hydrogen explosions caused their structural damage. Radioactive steam was released into the atmosphere, and highly radioactive water spilled into the ocean through utility trenches. Some immediate injuries resulted. 117 workers received committed effective dosesabove 100 mSv, and 6 workers received doses above the emergency dose limit of 250 mSv.[35] 0   7
6 June 2017 Ibaraki Prefecture The incident occurred at the Japan Atomic Energy Agency’s Oarai Research and Development Center, after a bag containing radioactive material tore open while a check on radioactive storage inside a "controlled" room was performed. It resulted in internal radiation exposure in five workers, with one of them inhaling plutonium. However, no radiation was detected in the external environment.[36][37] 0    

Pakistan[edit]

Nuclear power accidents in Pakistan[38]
(in millions
2006 US$)
18 October 2011 Karachi, Pakistan The KANUPP Karachi nuclear power plant imposed a seven-hour emergency after heavy water leaked from a feeder pipe to the reactor. The leakage took place during a routine maintenance shut down, and the emergency was lifted seven hours later, after the affected area was isolated.[38] 0 N/A

Russia[edit]

Nuclear power accidents in the Russian Federation
(in millions
2006 US$)
1957 Mayak reprocessing plant, Ural-region Kyshtym disaster: Explosion in a waste tank of the plant with a massive radioactive cloud, deteriorating deeply the health of the regions population many late cancer fatalities ?
1992 Leningrad, Russian Federation An RBMK reactor released a radioactive cloud which traveled over north-eastern Europe. Russian officials declared that they saw no immediate danger posed by the event.[39]    
1997 Leningrad, Russian Federation Worker Sergei Kharitonov revealed photographs of cracked walls and groundwater seepage at a nuclear power plant waste storage facility. He also revealed that the plant has been dumping 300 litres of contaminated water into the Gulf of Finland annually "for years".[39] 0 N/A
April 1998 Leningrad, Russian Federation An RBMK reactor was shut down following the discovery of a radiation leak.[39]    
Autumn 2017 Ural-region, Russian Federation Roshydromet had issued report stated rise in beta activity of aerosoles and surfaces at all monitoring posts in South Ural from 25th Sep to 1 Oct 2017. In two aerosol samples Ru-106 activity increase was detected. At 26th and 27th Sep Ru-106 decay products was detected in Tatarstan republic. At 27th and 28th Sep high pollution levels of aerosoles and surfaces was detected in Volgograd and Rostov-on-Don. In two aerosol samples from Chelyabinsk Oblast 986- and 440-fold activity increase was measured comparing to preceding month[40] The Mayak nuclear plantis widely suspected as the source of the radiation.[41]    

South Korea[edit]

Nuclear power accidents in South Korea[42]
(in millions
2006 US$)
4 October 1999 Wolsung, South Korea 22 workers employed by the Korea Electric Power Corp were exposed to radioactive liquid and gas at the Wolsung-3 reactor. Two workers were initially exposed when approximately 12 gallons of heavy water leaked during pipe maintenance. A further 20 workers were exposed during clean-up operations.[42]    

Ukraine[edit]

Nuclear power accidents in Ukraine[7][24]
(in millions
2006 US$)
26 Apr 1986 Pripyat, Ukraine, USSR Steam explosion and meltdown (see Chernobyl disaster) necessitating the evacuation of 300,000 people from Pripyat region and dispersing radioactive material across Europe (see Effects of the Chernobyl disaster) Fewer than 50 directly, eventually as many as 4000[43] 6700
October 1999 Pripyat, Ukraine Metal structures broke, causing a gamma ray source to fall out of its container and expose two workers to "high" levels of radiation. The reactor was subsequently shut down until November.[39]    

United Kingdom[edit]

Nuclear accidents in the UK[7][24]
(in millions
2006 US$)
INES 
rating
Spring, 1957 Windscale (now Sellafield), UK Radioactivity release contaminated about 800 farms and introduced Strontium 90 to domestic milk supply. Milk was sold to the public without any warnings.[44]      
8 Oct 1957 Windscale/Sellafield, UK Fire ignites plutonium piles, contaminating surrounding dairy farms.[44] 0 78 5
May 1967 Scotland, United Kingdom Partial meltdown at Dumfries and Galloway. Graphite debris partially blocked a fuel channel causing a fuel element to melt and catch fire at the Chapelcross nuclear power station. Contamination was confined to the reactor core. The core was repaired and restarted in 1969, operating until the plant's shutdown in 2004.[45][46]      
Sep 1996 Dounreay, Scotland, UK A fuel reprocessing plant was shut down after elevated radiation levels were detected in waste-water discharged to the sea.[47]      
Feb 1998 Sellafield, UK Two workers exposed to radiation due to a leak from a damaged bag containing a nuclear filter.[48]      
19 Apr 2005 Sellafield, UK 20 tonnes uranium and 160 kg plutonium leak from a cracked pipe at the Thorp nuclear fuel reprocessing plant 0 65 3[49]

United States[edit]

Nuclear power accidents in USA
(in millions
2006 US$)
November 29, 1955 Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA Power excursion with partial core meltdown at National Reactor Testing Station's EBR-1 Experimental Breeder Reactor I 0 5
July 26, 1959 Simi Valley, California, USA Partial core meltdown at Santa Susana Field Laboratory’s Sodium Reactor Experiment 0 32
January 3, 1961 Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA Explosion at National Reactor Testing Station's SL-1 Stationary Low-Power Reactor Number One 3 22
October 5, 1966 Monroe, Michigan, USA Sodium cooling system malfunctions at Enrico Fermi demonstration breeder reactor causing partial core meltdown 0 19
August 11, 1973 Palisades, Michigan, USA Steam generator leak causes manual shutdown of pressurized water reactor 0 10
March 22, 1975 Browns Ferry, Alabama, USA Fire burns for seven hours and damages more than 1600 control cables for three nuclear reactors at Browns Ferry, disabling core cooling systems 0 240
November 5, 1975 Brownsville, Nebraska, USA Hydrogen gas explosion damages the Cooper Nuclear Station’s auxiliary building 0 13
June 10, 1977 Waterford, Connecticut, USA Hydrogen gas explosion damages three buildings and forces shutdown of Millstone-1 Pressurized Water Reactor 0 15
February 4, 1979 Surry, Virginia, USA Surry Unit 2 shut down in response to failing tube bundles in steam generators 0 12
March 28, 1979 Middletown, Pennsylvania, USA Loss of coolant and partial core meltdown, see Three Mile Island accident and Three Mile Island accident health effects 0 2,400
October 17, 1981 Buchanan, New York, USA 100,000 gallons of Hudson River water leaked into the Indian Point Energy Center Unit 2 containment building from the fan cooling unit, undetected by a safety device designed to detect hot water. The flooding, covering the first 9 feet of the reactor vessel, was discovered when technicians entered the building. Two pumps which should have removed the water were found to be inoperative. NRC proposed a $210,000 fine for the incident.[50] 0
March 20, 1982 Lycoming, New York, USA Recirculation system piping fails at Nine Mile PointUnit 1, forcing two year shutdown 0 45
March 25, 1982 Buchanan, New York, USA Damage to steam generator tubes and main generator resulting in a shut down Indian Point Energy Center Unit 3 for more than a year 0 56
June 18, 1982 Senaca, South Carolina, USA Feedwater heat extraction line fails at Oconee 2 Pressurised Water Reactor, damaging thermal cooling system 0 10
February 12, 1983 Forked River, New Jersey, USA Oyster Creek Nuclear Power Plant fails safety inspection, forced to shut down for repairs 0 32
February 26, 1983 Fort Pierce, Florida, USA Damaged thermal shield and core barrel support at St Lucie Unit 1, necessitating 13-month shutdown 0 54
September 15, 1984 Athens, Alabama, USA Safety violations, operator error, and design problems force six year outage at Browns Ferry Unit 2 0 110
March 9, 1985 Athens, Alabama, USA Instrumentation systems malfunction during start-up, which led to suspension of operations at all three Browns Ferry Units 0 1,830
April 11, 1986 Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA Recurring equipment problems force emergency shutdown of Boston Edison’s Pilgrim Nuclear Power Plant 0 1,001
1986 Surry, Virginia, USA Broken Feedwater line at Surry Nuclear Power Plant 0 ?
March 31, 1987 Delta, Pennsylvania, USA Peach Bottom units 2 and 3 shutdown due to cooling malfunctions and unexplained equipment problems 0 400
December 19, 1987 Lycoming, New York, USA Malfunctions force Niagara Mohawk Power Corporation to shut down Nine Mile Point Unit 1 0 150
September 10, 1988 Surry, Virginia, USA Refuelling cavity seal fails and destroys internal pipe system at Surry Unit 2, forcing 12-month outage 0 9
March 5, 1989 Tonopah, Arizona, USA Atmospheric dump valves fail at Palo Verde Unit 1, leading to main transformer fire and emergency shutdown 0 14
March 17, 1989 Lusby, Maryland, USA Inspections at Calvert Cliff Units 1 and 2 reveal cracks at pressurized heater sleeves, forcing extended shutdowns 0 120
November 17, 1991 Scriba, New York, USA Safety and fire problems force shut down of the FitzPatrick nuclear reactor for 13 months 0 5
April 21, 1992 Southport, North Carolina, USA NRC forces shut down of Brunswick Units 1 and 2 after emergency diesel generators fail 0 2
February 3, 1993 Bay City, Texas, USA Auxiliary feed-water pumps fail at South Texas Project Units 1 and 2, prompting rapid shutdown of both reactors 0 3
February 27, 1993 Buchanan, New York, USA New York Power Authority shuts down Indian Point Energy Center Unit 3 after AMSAC system fails 0 2
March 2, 1993 Soddy-Daisy, Tennessee, USA Equipment failures and broken pipes cause shut down of Sequoyah Unit 1 0 3
December 25, 1993 Newport, Michigan, USA Shut down of Fermi Unit 2 after main turbine experienced major failure due to improper maintenance 0 67
14 January 1995 Wiscasset, Maine, USA Steam generator tubes unexpectedly crack at Maine Yankee nuclear reactor; shut down of the facility for a year 0 62
May 16, 1995 Salem, New Jersey, USA Ventilation systems fail at Salem Units 1 and 2 0 34
February 20, 1996 Connecticut, USA Leaking valve forces shutdown Millstone Nuclear Power Plant Units 1 and 2, multiple equipment failures found 0 254
September 2, 1996 Crystal River, Florida, USA Balance-of-plant equipment malfunction forces shutdown and extensive repairs at Crystal River Unit 3 0 384
September 5, 1996 Clinton, Illinois, USA Reactor recirculation pump fails, prompting shut down of Clinton boiling water reactor 0 38
September 20, 1996 Senaca, Illinois, USA Service water system fails and results in closure of LaSalle Units 1 and 2 for more than 2 years 0 71
September 9, 1997 Bridgman, Michigan, USA Ice condenser containment systems fail at Cook Units 1 and 2 0 11
May 25, 1999 Waterford, Connecticut, USA Steam leak in feed-water heater causes manual shutdown and damage to control board annunciator at the Millstone Nuclear Power Plant 0 7
September 29, 1999 Lower Alloways Creek, New Jersey, USA Major Freon leak at Hope Creek Nuclear Facility causes ventilation train chiller to trip, releasing toxic gas and damaging the cooling system 0 2
February 16, 2002 Oak Harbor, Ohio, USA Severe corrosion of control rod drives in the reactor head forces 24-month outage of Davis-Besse reactor 0 143
January 15, 2003 Bridgman, Michigan, USA A fault in the main transformer at the Donald C. Cook nuclear power plant causes a fire that damages the main generator and back-up turbines 0 10
June 16, 2005 Braidwood, Illinois, USA Exelon’s Braidwood Nuclear Generating Station leaks tritium and contaminates local water supplies 0 41
August 4, 2005 Buchanan, New York, USA Entergy’s Indian Point Energy Center Nuclear Plant leaks tritium and strontium into underground lakes from 1974 to 2005   30
March 6, 2006 Erwin, Tennessee, USA Nuclear fuel services plant spills 35 litres of highly enriched uranium, necessitating 7-month shutdown 0 98
November 21, 2009 Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA Twelve workers were contaminated after radioactive dust was mobilized at the Three Mile Island plant during pipe maintenance works.[51] 0  
January 7, 2010 Buchanan, New York, USA NRC inspectors reported that an estimated 600,000 gallons of mildly radioactive steam was intentionally vented after an automatic shutdown of Indian Point Energy Center Unit 2. The levels of tritium in the steam were below those allowable by NRC safety standards.[52] 0 0
February 1, 2010 Vernon, Vermont, USA Deteriorating underground pipes from the Vermont Yankee Nuclear Power Plant leak radioactive tritium into groundwater supplies 0 700
July 2016 Michigan, USA Massive steam leak in the turbine building of Donald C. Cook Nuclear Plant, unit 2 0 ?

See also

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

But...... we've been told we only have 12 years to fix this.  Tech like wind, solar and wave - as you correctly say - are still in their infancy and even if mature could not solve our problems in 12 years or even 24 years.  Nuke can.  It can solve it today. 

And waste storage is not as dire an issue as global human extinction and can be managed for the next several decades easily until a long term cheaper solution can be found.  There are a LOT of empty deserts where Nuke waste can be safely stored.  It just requires political will to overcome the pervasive NIMBY issue.  

LOOK, you guys need to get it through your thick skulls.... you cannot have your cake and eat it too.  You are NOT going to get people to willingly reduce their electricity consumption on a global scale.  It just ain't going to happen.  Our entire planetary infrastructure is built on electrical grids.  So if you believe these dire warnings of global collapse due to rapid GW, then you'd better embrace something that will actually work and manage the downsides (which ARE manageable) rather than pine for what you would like to have instead that has ZERO chance of being nothing more than a side show.  And certainly not in the time frame needed to work.  If we had 200 years.... maybe we could move the global infrastructure over to wind, solar and other renewables.  But I hates to break it to you..... Nuke is the ONLY thing that is here now, is proven and can work on the scale needed.   Why don't you all come on board for the big win?

You must be talking to someone who thinks humans will actually reduce CO2 emissions.

1 minute ago, Raz'r said:
10 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Such an idiot. Too much time at altitude and not enough oxygen? Your handlers over there slowly poisoning you?

the cost of nuke power is literally incalculable. Solar, wind, Nat gas, not so much.

Actually, it's VERY calculable.  Idiot.  https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214993714000050

Furthermore, what is being proposed by the IPCC is a massive global carbon tax.  As soon as that is adopted (fat chance), the cost of nuclear gets even more attractive.  

http://cwf.ca/news/blog/embracing-nuclear-for-canadas-energy-future-part-two-nuclear-energy-is-cheap-energy/

Comparative-LCOEs-in-4-Countries-NEW.jpg

spiegel-chart.png

Looks very calculable.  Idiot.

21 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

What's even MORE interesting is how every ignores completely the deaths from all the other energy generation sources.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2012/06/10/energys-deathprint-a-price-always-paid/#fa91789709b7

Energy Source               Mortality Rate (deaths/trillionkWhr)

Coal – global average         100,000    (41% global electricity)

Coal – China                         170,000   (75% China’s electricity)

Coal – U.S.                               10,000    (32% U.S. electricity)

Oil                                               36,000    (33% of energy, 8% of electricity)

Natural Gas                                4,000    (22% global electricity)

Biofuel/Biomass                    24,000    (21% global energy)

Solar (rooftop)                              440    (< 1% global electricity)

Wind                                                 150    (2% global electricity)

Hydro – global average          1,400    (16% global electricity)

Hydro – U.S.                                     5    (6% U.S. electricity)

Nuclear – global average              90    (11%  global electricity w/Chern&Fukush)

Nuclear – U.S.                                0.1    (19% U.S. electricity)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

You must be talking to someone who thinks humans will actually reduce CO2 emissions.

Then why are we even having this discussion???  If you believe humans will never reduce CO2 emissions, then we are already doomed and we might as well enjoy it while we can.  

Again, I will put you firmly in the trump camp as a climate denier.  Well, maybe not as a denier, but your attitude and approach are effectively exactly the same. 

"Because its just too fucking expensive" - a likely actual Raz'r quote

The table I showed didn't include people who died later from exposure.

But, wind, solar and wave, you have to admit cause almost no deaths at all.

as for costs, has anyone ever tabled the cost of cleaning up? and the cost to store nuclear waste?

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

The table I showed didn't include people who died later from exposure.

Ummmm better look at it again:

chernobyl.thumb.PNG.77eb632e78552b9cdafee6efd4d3b9e1.PNG

2 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Ummmm better look at it again:

chernobyl.thumb.PNG.77eb632e78552b9cdafee6efd4d3b9e1.PNG

That's not the able I showed :rolleyes:

OMG, are you fucking serious???  I cut it directly from your post #21.  Ukraine, you dumb twat!

2 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Wiki has a world list. interesting from the minor to the  fucking terrifying 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_power_accidents_by_country

Canada[edit]

Nuclear power accidents in Canada[11][12][13][14]
(in millions
2006 US$)
3:07 p.m. Friday, December 12, 1952 CRL, Ontario, Canada The NRX accident. A hydrogen explosion occurred in the reactor core due to a cascade of malfunctions and operator errors. The world's first major nuclear reactor accident.[15] 0 See NRXaccident
May 24, 1958 CRL, Ontario, Canada The NRU accident. A fuel rod caught fire and broke when removed, then dispersed fission products and alpha-emitting particles in the reactor building. 0 See NRUaccident.
November 1978 WR-1 Reactor at Pinawa, Manitoba, Canada LOCA loss of coolant accident. 2,739 litres of coolant oil leaked, most of it into the Winnipeg River. The repair took several weeks for workers to complete.[16] 0 Unknown.
August 1, 1983 Pickering nuclearReactor 2, Pickering, Ontario, Canada LOCA loss of coolant accident. Pressure tube, that holds the fuel bundles, ruptured due to hydriding. All four reactors re-tubed with new materials (Zr-2.5%Nb) over ten years.[17] 0 1 Billion dollars.[18]
March 1986 Bruce nuclearReactor 2, Bruce County, Ontario, Canada LOCA Loss of coolant accident. Pressure tube rupture during pressurizing test (reactor shut down). Pressure tube holds the fuel bundles.[19] 0 Unknown.
August 2, 1992 Pickering nuclearReactor 1, Pickering, Ontario, Canada A Heavy water leak of 2300 trillion becquerels of radioactive tritium into Lake Ontario, resulting in increased levels of tritium in Toronto drinking water .[20] 0 Unknown.
December 10, 1994 Pickering nuclearReactor 2, Pickering, Ontario, Canada LOCA loss of coolant accident. A spill of 185 tonnes of heavy water. The Emergency Core Cooling System was used to prevent a meltdown.[21] 0 Unknown.
June 11, 2002 Bruce nuclearReactor 6, Bruce B station. Bruce County, Ontario, Canada Pressure tube and calandria tube damage during a channel maintenance procedure, required replacement of the 2 tubes.[19] 0 Unknown.
December 21, 2009 Darlington nuclear station. Clarington, Ontario, Canada Around 200,000 litres of water with trace amounts of radioactive isotope tritium coming from a storage tank mistakenly released by workers into Lake Ontario, representing 0.1% of the monthly allowed amounts of tritium for this power plant.[22] 0 Unknown.
March 14, 2011 Pickering nuclearPlant A Pickering, Ontario, Canada A leak of 73 cubic metres (73,000 litres) of demineralized water into Lake Ontario from a failed pump seal. There was negligible risk to the public according to the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission.[23] 0 Unknown.

France[edit]

Nuclear power accidents in France[7][24]
(in millions
2006 US$)
INES 
rating
17 Oct 1969 Loir-et-Cher, France 50 kg of uranium dioxide melted inside of the A1 nuclear reactor of Saint-Laurent-des-Eaux, during a refueling operation 0 Unknown (likely far less than the 13 Mar 1980 accident) 4
25 Jul 1979 Saclay, France Radioactive fluids escaped into drains designed for ordinary wastes, seeping into the local watershed at the Saclay BL3 Reactor 0 5  
13 Mar 1980 Loir-et-Cher, France A malfunctioning cooling system fused fuel elements together at the Saint Laurent A2 reactor, melting two fuel assemblys and forcing an extended shutdown 0 22 4
14 Apr 1984 Bugey, France Electrical cables failed at the command center of the Bugey Nuclear Power Plant and forced a complete shutdown of one reactor 0 2  
21 May 1986 Normandy, France Pipe maintenance at the fuel reprocessing plant at La Hague released a radioactive solution to which three welders and two plant workers were exposed.[25] 0 5  
27 Dec 1999 Blayais, France An unexpectedly strong storm flooded the Blayais Nuclear Power Plant, forcing an emergency shutdown after injection pumps and containment safety systems failed from water damage 0 55 2
21 Jan 2002 Manche, France Control systems and safety valves failed after improper installation of condensers, forcing a two-month shutdown 0 102  
16 May 2004 Cattenom-2, Lorraine, France Sub-standard electrical cable trays at the Cattenom-2 nuclear reactor caused a fire in an electricity tunnel, damaging many safety system cables [26] 0 12 1
13 Jul 2008 Tricastin, France Dozens of litres of wastewater contaminated with uranium were accidentally poured on the ground and runoff into a nearby river 0 7 1
9 Aug 2009 Gravelines, France Assembly system failed to properly eject spent fuel rods from the Gravelines Nuclear Power Plant, causing the fuel rods to jam and the defueling operation to be suspended 0 2 1
5 Apr 2012 Penly, France Fire on a primary pump of the second reactor, followed by a small radioactive leak into the containment 0 ? 1
2017 France, generic 20 reactors of the 1300 MW-class with seismic weaknesses on their emergency diesel generators 0 ? 2

Germany[edit]

Nuclear power accidents in Germany[7][24]
(in millions
2006 US$ million)
1975 Greifswald, East Germany A near core meltdown at Greifswald Nuclear Power Plant: Three out of six cooling water pumps were switched off for a failed test. A fourth pump broke down and control of the reactor was lost. 10 fuel elements were damaged before recovery 0 ?
4 May 1986 Hamm-Uentrop, Germany Operator actions to dislodge damaged fuel elements at the thorium high-temperature reactor released radioactivity to 4 km2 surrounding the facility 0 267
17 Dec 1987 Hessen, Germany Stop valve failed for a moment at Biblis Nuclear Power Plant; contamination of local area in the reactor building 0 13

India[edit]

Nuclear power accidents in India[7][24]
(in millions
2006 US$)
4 May 1987 Kalpakkam, India Fast Breeder Test Reactor at Kalpakkam refuelling accident that ruptures the reactor core, resulting in a two-year shutdown 0 300
10 Sep 1989 Tarapur, Maharashtra, India Operators at the Tarapur Atomic Power Station find that the reactor had been leaking radioactive iodine at more than 700 times normal levels. Repairs to the reactor take more than a year 0 78
13 May 1992 Tarapur, Maharashtra, India A malfunctioning tube causes the Tarapur Atomic Power Station to release 12 curies of radioactivity 0 2
31 Mar 1993 Bulandshahr, Uttar Pradesh, India The Narora Atomic Power Station suffers a fire at two of its steam turbine blades, damaging the heavy water reactor and almost leading to a meltdown 0 220
2 Feb 1995 Kota, Rajasthan, India The Rajasthan Atomic Power Station leaks radioactive helium and heavy water into the Rana Pratap Sagar River, necessitating a two-year shutdown for repairs N/A 280
22 Oct 2002 Kalpakkam, India Almost 100 kg radioactive sodium at a fast breeder reactor leaks into a purification cabin, ruining a number of valves and operating systems 0 30

Japan[edit]

Nuclear power accidents in Japan
(in millions
2006 US$)
INES 
rating
8 Jan 1975 Mihama, Japan Radioactivity released from Mihama nuclear power plant.[27] 0    
2 Nov 1978 Fukushima No1, Japan Japan's first criticality accident at No 3 reactor, this accident was hidden for 29 years and reported on 22 Mar 2007 0    
2 Apr 1979 Tokaimura, Japan Two workers suffer radioactive contamination at the Tokaimura complex.[27] 0    
24–28 Jan 1981 Tsuruga, Japan 29 workers were exposed to radiation.[28] 0    
8 Mar 1981 Tsuruga, Japan 56 workers were exposed to about 45 tonnes of radioactive waste which spilled from storage tanks at the Tsuruga Nuclear Power Plant. The waste was cleaned up with buckets and mops,[29][30] and was also discharged into Tsuruga Bay via the town sewer.[28] At the time, the plant had recorded 30 malfunctions since it was commissioned in 1970.[31] 0    
31 Aug 1985 Fukushima, Japan Fire at Fukushima nuclear power plant during routine shutdown.[27] 0    
23 Jun 1986 Tokaimura, Japan Twelve people suffer "slight" plutonium contamination while inspecting a storeroom.[27] 0    
8 Feb 1991 Fukui, Japan Radioactivity was released from Fukui nuclear power plant after an emergency release valve failed.[27] Officials said the release "did not pose a threat to humans or the environment."[32] 0    
22 Feb 1993 Fukushima, Japan High-pressure steam accident kills one worker and injures two others.[27] 1    
December 1995 Tsuruga, Japan The fast breeder Monju Nuclear Power Plantsodium leak.[29] State-run operator Donen was found to have concealed videotape footage that showed extensive damage to the reactor.[33] 0    
11 March 1997 Tokaimura, Japan The Tokaimura nuclear reprocessing plant fire and explosion. 37 workers were exposed to low doses of radiation. Donen later acknowledged it had initially suppressed information about the fire.[29][33] 0    
18 Jun 1999 Shiga, Japan A fuel loading system malfunctioned and set off an uncontrolled nuclear reaction and explosion.[29] 0    
30 Sept 1999 Tokaimura, Japan The criticality accident at the Tokai fuel fabrication facility.[29] Hundreds of people were exposed to radiation and two workers later died. This is not a nuclear power plant accident, however.[33] 2   4
2002 Onagawa, Japan Two workers were exposed to a small amount of radiation and suffered minor burns during a fire.[33] 0    
9 Aug 2004 Mihama, Japan A main piping burst in the turbine building of the Mihama-3 station; the subsequent investigation revealed a serious lack in systematic inspection in Japanese nuclear plants, which led to a massive inspection program.[34] 5   1
2006 Fukushima No1, Japan A small amount of radioactive steam was released at the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant and it escaped the compound.[33] 0    
16 Jul 2007 Kashiwazaki, Japan A severe earthquake (measuring 6.8 on the Richter magnitude scale) hit the region where Tokyo Electric's Kashiwazaki-Kariwa Nuclear Power Plant is located and radioactive water spilled into the Sea of Japan; as of March 2009, all of the reactors remained shut down for damage verification and repairs. The plant with seven units is the largest single nuclear power station in the world, which now again is shutdown due to the Fukushima accident.[34] 0   1
Dec 2009 Hamaoka, Japan Leakage accident of radioactive water. 34 workers were exposed to radiation 0    
Mar 2011 Fukushima Dai-ichi, Japan The world's second INES 7 accident. A magnitude 9.0 earthquake and associated tsunami triggered cooling problems at Fukushima 1 & 2 stations with several reactors. Loss of coolant resulted in meltdowns in three units and hydrogen explosions caused their structural damage. Radioactive steam was released into the atmosphere, and highly radioactive water spilled into the ocean through utility trenches. Some immediate injuries resulted. 117 workers received committed effective dosesabove 100 mSv, and 6 workers received doses above the emergency dose limit of 250 mSv.[35] 0   7
6 June 2017 Ibaraki Prefecture The incident occurred at the Japan Atomic Energy Agency’s Oarai Research and Development Center, after a bag containing radioactive material tore open while a check on radioactive storage inside a "controlled" room was performed. It resulted in internal radiation exposure in five workers, with one of them inhaling plutonium. However, no radiation was detected in the external environment.[36][37] 0    

Pakistan[edit]

Nuclear power accidents in Pakistan[38]
(in millions
2006 US$)
18 October 2011 Karachi, Pakistan The KANUPP Karachi nuclear power plant imposed a seven-hour emergency after heavy water leaked from a feeder pipe to the reactor. The leakage took place during a routine maintenance shut down, and the emergency was lifted seven hours later, after the affected area was isolated.[38] 0 N/A

Russia[edit]

Nuclear power accidents in the Russian Federation
(in millions
2006 US$)
1957 Mayak reprocessing plant, Ural-region Kyshtym disaster: Explosion in a waste tank of the plant with a massive radioactive cloud, deteriorating deeply the health of the regions population many late cancer fatalities ?
1992 Leningrad, Russian Federation An RBMK reactor released a radioactive cloud which traveled over north-eastern Europe. Russian officials declared that they saw no immediate danger posed by the event.[39]    
1997 Leningrad, Russian Federation Worker Sergei Kharitonov revealed photographs of cracked walls and groundwater seepage at a nuclear power plant waste storage facility. He also revealed that the plant has been dumping 300 litres of contaminated water into the Gulf of Finland annually "for years".[39] 0 N/A
April 1998 Leningrad, Russian Federation An RBMK reactor was shut down following the discovery of a radiation leak.[39]    
Autumn 2017 Ural-region, Russian Federation Roshydromet had issued report stated rise in beta activity of aerosoles and surfaces at all monitoring posts in South Ural from 25th Sep to 1 Oct 2017. In two aerosol samples Ru-106 activity increase was detected. At 26th and 27th Sep Ru-106 decay products was detected in Tatarstan republic. At 27th and 28th Sep high pollution levels of aerosoles and surfaces was detected in Volgograd and Rostov-on-Don. In two aerosol samples from Chelyabinsk Oblast 986- and 440-fold activity increase was measured comparing to preceding month[40] The Mayak nuclear plantis widely suspected as the source of the radiation.[41]    

South Korea[edit]

Nuclear power accidents in South Korea[42]
(in millions
2006 US$)
4 October 1999 Wolsung, South Korea 22 workers employed by the Korea Electric Power Corp were exposed to radioactive liquid and gas at the Wolsung-3 reactor. Two workers were initially exposed when approximately 12 gallons of heavy water leaked during pipe maintenance. A further 20 workers were exposed during clean-up operations.[42]    

Ukraine[edit]

(in millions
2006 US$)
26 Apr 1986 Pripyat, Ukraine, USSR Steam explosion and meltdown (see Chernobyl disaster) necessitating the evacuation of 300,000 people from Pripyat region and dispersing radioactive material across Europe (see Effects of the Chernobyl disaster) Fewer than 50 directly, eventually as many as 4000[43] 6700
October 1999 Pripyat, Ukraine Metal structures broke, causing a gamma ray source to fall out of its container and expose two workers to "high" levels of radiation. The reactor was subsequently shut down until November.[39]    

United Kingdom[edit]

Nuclear accidents in the UK[7][24]
(in millions
2006 US$)
INES 
rating
Spring, 1957 Windscale (now Sellafield), UK Radioactivity release contaminated about 800 farms and introduced Strontium 90 to domestic milk supply. Milk was sold to the public without any warnings.[44]      
8 Oct 1957 Windscale/Sellafield, UK Fire ignites plutonium piles, contaminating surrounding dairy farms.[44] 0 78 5
May 1967 Scotland, United Kingdom Partial meltdown at Dumfries and Galloway. Graphite debris partially blocked a fuel channel causing a fuel element to melt and catch fire at the Chapelcross nuclear power station. Contamination was confined to the reactor core. The core was repaired and restarted in 1969, operating until the plant's shutdown in 2004.[45][46]      
Sep 1996 Dounreay, Scotland, UK A fuel reprocessing plant was shut down after elevated radiation levels were detected in waste-water discharged to the sea.[47]      
Feb 1998 Sellafield, UK Two workers exposed to radiation due to a leak from a damaged bag containing a nuclear filter.[48]      
19 Apr 2005 Sellafield, UK 20 tonnes uranium and 160 kg plutonium leak from a cracked pipe at the Thorp nuclear fuel reprocessing plant 0 65 3[49]

United States[edit]

Nuclear power accidents in USA
(in millions
2006 US$)
November 29, 1955 Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA Power excursion with partial core meltdown at National Reactor Testing Station's EBR-1 Experimental Breeder Reactor I 0 5
July 26, 1959 Simi Valley, California, USA Partial core meltdown at Santa Susana Field Laboratory’s Sodium Reactor Experiment 0 32
January 3, 1961 Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA Explosion at National Reactor Testing Station's SL-1 Stationary Low-Power Reactor Number One 3 22
October 5, 1966 Monroe, Michigan, USA Sodium cooling system malfunctions at Enrico Fermi demonstration breeder reactor causing partial core meltdown 0 19
August 11, 1973 Palisades, Michigan, USA Steam generator leak causes manual shutdown of pressurized water reactor 0 10
March 22, 1975 Browns Ferry, Alabama, USA Fire burns for seven hours and damages more than 1600 control cables for three nuclear reactors at Browns Ferry, disabling core cooling systems 0 240
November 5, 1975 Brownsville, Nebraska, USA Hydrogen gas explosion damages the Cooper Nuclear Station’s auxiliary building 0 13
June 10, 1977 Waterford, Connecticut, USA Hydrogen gas explosion damages three buildings and forces shutdown of Millstone-1 Pressurized Water Reactor 0 15
February 4, 1979 Surry, Virginia, USA Surry Unit 2 shut down in response to failing tube bundles in steam generators 0 12
March 28, 1979 Middletown, Pennsylvania, USA Loss of coolant and partial core meltdown, see Three Mile Island accident and Three Mile Island accident health effects 0 2,400
October 17, 1981 Buchanan, New York, USA 100,000 gallons of Hudson River water leaked into the Indian Point Energy Center Unit 2 containment building from the fan cooling unit, undetected by a safety device designed to detect hot water. The flooding, covering the first 9 feet of the reactor vessel, was discovered when technicians entered the building. Two pumps which should have removed the water were found to be inoperative. NRC proposed a $210,000 fine for the incident.[50] 0
March 20, 1982 Lycoming, New York, USA Recirculation system piping fails at Nine Mile PointUnit 1, forcing two year shutdown 0 45
March 25, 1982 Buchanan, New York, USA Damage to steam generator tubes and main generator resulting in a shut down Indian Point Energy Center Unit 3 for more than a year 0 56
June 18, 1982 Senaca, South Carolina, USA Feedwater heat extraction line fails at Oconee 2 Pressurised Water Reactor, damaging thermal cooling system 0 10
February 12, 1983 Forked River, New Jersey, USA Oyster Creek Nuclear Power Plant fails safety inspection, forced to shut down for repairs 0 32
February 26, 1983 Fort Pierce, Florida, USA Damaged thermal shield and core barrel support at St Lucie Unit 1, necessitating 13-month shutdown 0 54
September 15, 1984 Athens, Alabama, USA Safety violations, operator error, and design problems force six year outage at Browns Ferry Unit 2 0 110
March 9, 1985 Athens, Alabama, USA Instrumentation systems malfunction during start-up, which led to suspension of operations at all three Browns Ferry Units 0 1,830
April 11, 1986 Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA Recurring equipment problems force emergency shutdown of Boston Edison’s Pilgrim Nuclear Power Plant 0 1,001
1986 Surry, Virginia, USA Broken Feedwater line at Surry Nuclear Power Plant 0 ?
March 31, 1987 Delta, Pennsylvania, USA Peach Bottom units 2 and 3 shutdown due to cooling malfunctions and unexplained equipment problems 0 400
December 19, 1987 Lycoming, New York, USA Malfunctions force Niagara Mohawk Power Corporation to shut down Nine Mile Point Unit 1 0 150
September 10, 1988 Surry, Virginia, USA Refuelling cavity seal fails and destroys internal pipe system at Surry Unit 2, forcing 12-month outage 0 9
March 5, 1989 Tonopah, Arizona, USA Atmospheric dump valves fail at Palo Verde Unit 1, leading to main transformer fire and emergency shutdown 0 14
March 17, 1989 Lusby, Maryland, USA Inspections at Calvert Cliff Units 1 and 2 reveal cracks at pressurized heater sleeves, forcing extended shutdowns 0 120
November 17, 1991 Scriba, New York, USA Safety and fire problems force shut down of the FitzPatrick nuclear reactor for 13 months 0 5
April 21, 1992 Southport, North Carolina, USA NRC forces shut down of Brunswick Units 1 and 2 after emergency diesel generators fail 0 2
February 3, 1993 Bay City, Texas, USA Auxiliary feed-water pumps fail at South Texas Project Units 1 and 2, prompting rapid shutdown of both reactors 0 3
February 27, 1993 Buchanan, New York, USA New York Power Authority shuts down Indian Point Energy Center Unit 3 after AMSAC system fails 0 2
March 2, 1993 Soddy-Daisy, Tennessee, USA Equipment failures and broken pipes cause shut down of Sequoyah Unit 1 0 3
December 25, 1993 Newport, Michigan, USA Shut down of Fermi Unit 2 after main turbine experienced major failure due to improper maintenance 0 67
14 January 1995 Wiscasset, Maine, USA Steam generator tubes unexpectedly crack at Maine Yankee nuclear reactor; shut down of the facility for a year 0 62
May 16, 1995 Salem, New Jersey, USA Ventilation systems fail at Salem Units 1 and 2 0 34
February 20, 1996 Connecticut, USA Leaking valve forces shutdown Millstone Nuclear Power Plant Units 1 and 2, multiple equipment failures found 0 254
September 2, 1996 Crystal River, Florida, USA Balance-of-plant equipment malfunction forces shutdown and extensive repairs at Crystal River Unit 3 0 384
September 5, 1996 Clinton, Illinois, USA Reactor recirculation pump fails, prompting shut down of Clinton boiling water reactor 0 38
September 20, 1996 Senaca, Illinois, USA Service water system fails and results in closure of LaSalle Units 1 and 2 for more than 2 years 0 71
September 9, 1997 Bridgman, Michigan, USA Ice condenser containment systems fail at Cook Units 1 and 2 0 11
May 25, 1999 Waterford, Connecticut, USA Steam leak in feed-water heater causes manual shutdown and damage to control board annunciator at the Millstone Nuclear Power Plant 0 7
September 29, 1999 Lower Alloways Creek, New Jersey, USA Major Freon leak at Hope Creek Nuclear Facility causes ventilation train chiller to trip, releasing toxic gas and damaging the cooling system 0 2
February 16, 2002 Oak Harbor, Ohio, USA Severe corrosion of control rod drives in the reactor head forces 24-month outage of Davis-Besse reactor 0 143
January 15, 2003 Bridgman, Michigan, USA A fault in the main transformer at the Donald C. Cook nuclear power plant causes a fire that damages the main generator and back-up turbines 0 10
June 16, 2005 Braidwood, Illinois, USA Exelon’s Braidwood Nuclear Generating Station leaks tritium and contaminates local water supplies 0 41
August 4, 2005 Buchanan, New York, USA Entergy’s Indian Point Energy Center Nuclear Plant leaks tritium and strontium into underground lakes from 1974 to 2005   30
March 6, 2006 Erwin, Tennessee, USA Nuclear fuel services plant spills 35 litres of highly enriched uranium, necessitating 7-month shutdown 0 98
November 21, 2009 Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA Twelve workers were contaminated after radioactive dust was mobilized at the Three Mile Island plant during pipe maintenance works.[51] 0  
January 7, 2010 Buchanan, New York, USA NRC inspectors reported that an estimated 600,000 gallons of mildly radioactive steam was intentionally vented after an automatic shutdown of Indian Point Energy Center Unit 2. The levels of tritium in the steam were below those allowable by NRC safety standards.[52] 0 0
February 1, 2010 Vernon, Vermont, USA Deteriorating underground pipes from the Vermont Yankee Nuclear Power Plant leak radioactive tritium into groundwater supplies 0 700
July 2016 Michigan, USA Massive steam leak in the turbine building of Donald C. Cook Nuclear Plant, unit 2 0 ?

See also

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Jesus Jeffy, are you actually even capable of honestly wearing clean socks?

WTF are you talking about????  What "table did you show" that didn't include long term effects?  Are you denying that the TABLE you posted in post #21 didn't include long term deaths in their stats????  Really?

BTW - WTF does the word "eventually" mean to you?  Or are you actually claiming you didn't post this table???

3 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Ukraine[edit]

(in millions
2006 US$)

Sorry, I apologise. But the table doesn;t show later deaths from exposure in almost all of those accidents..probably because were  not tracked recorded. But really..all those explosions and contamination's and no fatal sequelea ?

Dems & Repubs have ignored Nuclear power because it's fucking expensive dolts. How fucking stupid do the nuclear boosters bitching have to be not to understand their dumb asses will blanche at the tax bill to pay for it?

fyi - SB - that's a nuclear plant in Washington State that was abandoned before construction completion because of cost overruns.

there's a modern version down in south carolina - initial cost $11 billion, overruns pushed it to $25 billion so they cancelled it https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/31/climate/nuclear-power-project-canceled-in-south-carolina.html

and that's in a regulated electrical market. in freer electricity markets nuclear isn't close to cost competitive so you'll need a carbon tax like GG railed against or big government subsidys somewhere.

Don’t worry, the EPA is on it -

The Trump administration’s decision is part of a wider plan to change the way the agency reviews science. 

Excerpt -

The Environmental Protection Agency moved this week to disband two outside panels of experts charged with advising the agency on limiting harmful emissions of soot and smog-forming pollutants.

8 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Actually, it's VERY calculable.  Idiot.  https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214993714000050

Furthermore, what is being proposed by the IPCC is a massive global carbon tax.  As soon as that is adopted (fat chance), the cost of nuclear gets even more attractive.  

http://cwf.ca/news/blog/embracing-nuclear-for-canadas-energy-future-part-two-nuclear-energy-is-cheap-energy/

Comparative-LCOEs-in-4-Countries-NEW.jpg

spiegel-chart.png

Looks very calculable.  Idiot.

Hahahaha. Ignoring the lifetime costs and just looking at cost of production. How convenient. How do you figure the cost of multiple lifetimes of containment of the reactors at Fukushima? 5000 years of waste storage. Etc, etc. A massive nuke tax?

hahahaha

Then why are we even having this discussion???  If you believe humans will never reduce CO2 emissions, then we are already doomed and we might as well enjoy it while we can.  

Again, I will put you firmly in the trump camp as a climate denier.  Well, maybe not as a denier, but your attitude and approach are effectively exactly the same. 

Whatever dude. Ascribe to me whatever opinion you think I have. It helps you righties to have everything all tidy. You can’t handle complexity.

1 hour ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Dems & Repubs have ignored Nuclear power because it's fucking expensive dolts. How fucking stupid do the nuclear boosters bitching have to be not to understand their dumb asses will blanche at the tax bill to pay for it?

Its about the cost then, eh?  Ah, I see you are joining Raz'r in saying that the cost of doing something to save the environment and the planet is more important than the extinction of the human race.  I never pegged you for a Republican.  

You should run for office.  Your title would look like this on Fox News:  Mismoyled Jiblet - (R) Stupidvainia

22 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Hahahaha. Ignoring the lifetime costs and just looking at cost of production. How convenient. How do you figure the cost of multiple lifetimes of containment of the reactors at Fukushima? 5000 years of waste storage. Etc, etc. A massive nuke tax?

hahahaha

Dunno, why don't you ask the French what they think of Nuke power?  They currently get 75% of their energy from nuke.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Its about the cost then, eh?  Ah, I see you are joining Raz'r in saying that the cost of doing something to save the environment and the planet is more important than the extinction of the human race.  I never pegged you for a Republican.  

You keep wanting to purge humanity, here's your chance fuckface.

You don't read what people right, you vomit shit you want to hear like the senile narcissist you are barista. Now put a fucking face in the foam with a smile bitch, I'm gonna go read the paper with my coffee.

19 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Whatever dude. Ascribe to me whatever opinion you think I have. It helps you righties to have everything all tidy. You can’t handle complexity.

Whatever dude???  That's all you got?  I thought we were looking at an extinction event in 12 years or so?  Or at least the rapid crash to that place.  I would think no cost would be to great to save the planet.  

And see, the "climate deniers" don't really deny it.  It's fucking obvious the planet is warming due to carbon emissions from humans.  Fucking duh.  Its just code for "its just too fucking expensive".  That sounds weirdly familiar.  Now where have I heard that phrase lately?  

4 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

You keep wanting to purge humanity, here's your chance fuckface.

You don't read what people right, you vomit shit you want to hear like the senile narcissist you are barista. Now put a fucking face in the foam with a smile bitch, I'm gonna go read the paper with my coffee.

I see I've gotten through to you finally.  Enjoy your coffee.  I've put some extra thick cream in it for you.  Bitch  :lol:

9 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

I see I've gotten through to you finally.  Enjoy your coffee.  I've put some extra thick cream in it for you.  Bitch  :lol:

If you can whip it out behind the coffee bar with no one noticing... well, that goes a long way to explaining the gun-focused insecurities.

A stopped clock is still right twice a day.

Trump not being a totally corrupt douchehole for 20 minutes is hardly a "Stop the Presses!" moment needing a News Extra.

On 10/12/2018 at 10:10 PM, Editor said:

And isn't this just a reauthorization of the existing law put into policy before he even came into office?

How is this a feather in Trump's pussy-grabbing hat?

He would have to be a monumental mamaluke to overturn the residual work of G.W. Bush, the oceans stewardship was one of the only things that Bush can be rightly proud of doing.

The whole premise of this thread is flawed.

36 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

A stopped clock is still right twice a day.

Trump not being a totally corrupt douchehole for 20 minutes is hardly a "Stop the Presses!" moment needing a News Extra.

Cripes ... G.W. Bush gets credit for this, not friggen Donald Trump. It's just a reauthorization with some updated language about plastic pollution. GW rammed the oceans stewardship bill through with a rare example of true leadership, and he gets credit for that, even from me.

8 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Sorry, I apologise. But the table doesn;t show later deaths from exposure in almost all of those accidents..probably because were  not tracked recorded. But really..all those explosions and contamination's and no fatal sequelea ?

Compared to coal minors lung, drowning from sea level rise, mercury subclinical poisoning and the rest nuclear energy is fairly safe.   The problem is adjusting utility rates for the overhead of renting appropriate storage facilities for thousands of years after the energy is generated.   There is no reason for anybody not using the electricity to pay that burden for the consumer.

1 hour ago, Lark said:

Compared to coal minors lung, drowning from sea level rise, mercury subclinical poisoning and the rest nuclear energy is fairly safe.   The problem is adjusting utility rates for the overhead of renting appropriate storage facilities for thousands of years after the energy is generated.   There is no reason for anybody not using the electricity to pay that burden for the consumer.

You're right, nuclear energy is relatively safe compared to those other things, but I add, over similar time periods.

However, if you look at the continued dose, nuclear waste is by far the most toxic for a few reasons ... the LD50 of alpha emitters like Polonium is orders of magnitude smaller than even cyanide, alpha emitters are so toxic that most of the time they can't even be localized in the body, and the death is attributed to some various cancer. So the guy in Chicago who ingests a speck of alpha emitter the size of a dust particle that he ate with his fish, and then later dies of esophagus cancer, is probably never, ever going to have his death linked to that meal of fish that he ate a year earlier.

And further, nuclear waste keeps emitting gamma radiation for hundreds and even thousands of years, the victims don't even need to make direct contact with it. When you further consider that radon poisoning (often from mined uranium tailings) is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the world, and first leading cause of lung cancer for non-smokers, the real threat of nuclear energy starts to become more apparent.

Nuclear energy is a scourge.

It's wildly expensive, it's heavily subsidized, it exists today mainly for its role in helping to produce enriched weapons sources for the Cold War, and we have every obligation to drive the final nail into the coffin of nuclear energy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mikewof said:

You're right, nuclear energy is relatively safe compared to those other things, but I add, over similar time periods.

However, if you look at the continued dose, nuclear waste is by far the most toxic for a few reasons ... the LD50 of alpha emitters like Polonium is orders of magnitude smaller than even cyanide, alpha emitters are so toxic that most of the time they can't even be localized in the body, and the death is attributed to some various cancer. So the guy in Chicago who ingests a speck of alpha emitter the size of a dust particle that he ate with his fish, and then later dies of esophagus cancer, is probably never, ever going to have his death linked to that meal of fish that he ate a year earlier.

And further, nuclear waste keeps emitting gamma radiation for hundreds and even thousands of years, the victims don't even need to make direct contact with it. When you further consider that radon poisoning (often from mined uranium tailings) is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the world, and first leading cause of lung cancer for non-smokers, the real threat of nuclear energy starts to become more apparent.

Nuclear energy is a scourge.

It's wildly expensive, it's heavily subsidized, it exists today mainly for its role in helping to produce enriched weapons sources for the Cold War, and we have every obligation to drive the final nail into the coffin of nuclear energy.

The weakness of your cancer argument is it’s strength,   Death cannot be attributed beyond the tumor itself.   We rely on stastics in a giant uncontrolled clinical trial.    Is the carcinogen radiation exposure or toxic waste used in making the led lights?   https://www.cnet.com/news/some-led-lights-spark-concern-over-toxins/.   https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/7c09/213082fa9abeba5d5b2609354933195026a1.pdf

3 hours ago, mikewof said:

Cripes ... G.W. Bush gets credit for this, not friggen Donald Trump. It's just a reauthorization with some updated language about plastic pollution. GW rammed the oceans stewardship bill through with a rare example of true leadership, and he gets credit for that, even from me.

True. Another reason.

I suppose some people want to throw Trump a cookie for not actually trying to kill it.

20 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

you forgot 3 mile island in your rant. :rolleyes:

and ask the survivors of Fukushima and Chernobyl if they are "lame" excuses...Another "exceptional" American.

How about we start cleaning up the mess resultant of our "quality of life" before we start adding radioactive icing?

(With Fracking Cherries)

Oh, damn!  I forgot about all the people who died at TMI, and all of the land contaminated for 1000 years... (oops, that did not happen).  By the way, TMI was not a modern plant.  And as for Fukushima & Chernobyl, educate yourself and see if those would be characteristic of modern nuclear power plants relative to design/concept and where they would be located.

I have a really good idea, you might want to actually research both the three examples of TMI, Chernobyl, and Fukushima, as well as modern nuclear power plant concepts/designs THEN come back with your weak points.  Education/knowledge beats lame hysteria and politically correct chic power trends.  There is a reason past leaders in Green Peace support nuclear power, now.

On 10/12/2018 at 11:51 AM, GauchoGreg said:

Yea, they are playing all nicey nice before the midterms(and even then they aint restraining him all that much)...  Guarantee the orange mushroom and his ilk goe ballistic after..  

18 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Right.

Chernobyl was a combo power/weapons facility with no containment system, piss-poor safety mechanisms, horrible training/management, and an extremely tired facility.  Comparing Chernobyl to modern nuclear power production is like comparing a horse-drawn cart to a Ferrari.

TMI was old tech, extremely poorly handled, and STILL did not result in any injuries our contamination outside of the plant.

You nailed Fukushima.

18 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Chernobyl has to be excluded from the rest of the issues due to the extremely different concept/design/management.  It really is nothing like the others.

Now, if we consider the total deaths and destruction/dedication of land related to nuclear power, including the sourcing of the fuel/power compared to the total deaths and land dedication/destruction related to gas/coal/solar/wind, and consider the amount of total CO2/pollution emissions, it is clear that Nuclear is not only taking up the least land and producing the least emissions/waste creation, but also one of, if not the safest relative to deaths in plant/farm development and management/maintenance/mining.  Wind & solar farms take up massive swaths of land, and often in otherwise wild habitat (check out the proposed site for a wind farm on Steens Mountain, in Oregon, see below... thankfully the Sierra Club has helped keep that wind farm from happening), wind turbines have has significant fire problems, and the PV panels for solar are hardly eco friendly (nor are battery storage ideas at this time).  The idea that wind / solar is either capable of supplying our energy needs, or is some pure green option, is BS fantasy, but surely (along with tidal & hydro) can play an important role in a combined approach to satisfying our power needs (rooftop, brownfield, and in-road solar are great examples, as is on-site wind generation).

kiger-gorge.jpg

18 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Ahh, think again.  Wind & solar take up massive swaths of land, solar (PV panels) involve toxic materials for production/waste, wind turbines cause fires, and wave/tidal energy can be great, and I do look forward to seeing what can be done when the major challenges are solved.

Trent-Wind-Farm-turbine-fire.jpg

Waste from nuclear power is not a problem, other than the environmental movement of the 60s & 70s created a problem wanting to kill the entire industry.  Most waste can be recycled, allowing it to stabililzed or reprocessing to be used again, as only a small fraction of the energy in the fuels is utilized.  Further, the total volume of waste is extremely low, and can be effectively stored permanently by glassifying in beads and stored in lead-lined coffins, to be stored on-site of plants or transferred, in necessary.  But modern plants (salt reactors, etc. are eliminating the problem altogether.

Nuclear is like building another freeway, the more power produced the more people use.

So what, if it is not creating emissions?  Hell, we could use a ton more power... think of what we could do with that power to produce hydrogen fuel and electricity to transfer our transportation fleets to no-emission options (or water emitting)... think about desalinating water on massive scale to return river run-off to in-stream use... greatly improving conditions for native and anadromous fish and making the seas healthier.  Think about using that power to produce non-petroleum building materials out of mineral or farm commodities...

Far better to encourage reduction of use and smarter use while further developing and  changing over to clean, renewable and sustainable.

Now you are entering into the world of enviro-religion.... the mantra of reduction and renewable, not to solve problems, but for its own supposed inherent value.

Nuclear has had it's day, missed the boat, the world's moving on.

Only in the eyes of those who are blinded by the Green faith, rather than objective understanding of the issues, solutions, and what would lead to the most rapid and most profound impact on reduced CO2 emissions while also increasing our energy supply in a way that can improve our quality of life and improve the health of the environment in non-CO2 terms.

The only reason nuclear is so expensive is because people like you will participate and encourage every protest and lawsuit imaginable to kill the development of a plant, leading to the most extreme delays and legal costs just to get the things built.

Oh, so solar & wind is so cheap that development happens without subsidies, right?

11 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Why do you think it is expensive?  The reason is every damned plant has been protested/sued to death by the environmental movement, and every plant has become, due to that, a brand new design.  It is insane...

10 minutes ago, GauchoGreg said:

The only reason nuclear is so expensive is because people like you will participate and encourage every protest and lawsuit imaginable to kill the development of a plant, leading to the most extreme delays and legal costs just to get the things built.

Bullshit.