badlatitude

This Could Get Big And Nasty For Donald Trump

Jake TapperVerified account Before Khashoggi’s disappearance, U.S. intelligence intercepted communications of Saudi officials discussing a plan to capture him, according to a person familiar with the information.” I asked ODNI: Why wouldn’t the US warn him? ODNI: No comment.

"Stopping arms sales to Saudis would be a "very tough pill to swallow for our country" says Trump. Evidence suggests that Mohammed bin Salman, a recent darling of the D.C. foreign policy crowd and the young crown prince of Saudi Arabia, ordered the capture of Jamal Khashoggi, a self-exiled Saudi writer and regular Washington Post contributor, who went missing in Turkey. Cameras outside the Saudi consulate in Instanbul show Khashoggi arriving there on October 2, but do not show him leaving.

Before he went missing, U.S. intelligence agents "intercepted communications of Saudi officials discussing a plan to capture him," the Post reported yesterday. Since Khashoggi's disappearance, "Turkey's government says it has seen no evidence supporting the Saudi claim that Khashoggi ever left the consulate alive."

The U.S. and many other countries generally ignore what the Saudi government does to Saudi Arabians while they're in Saudi Arabia. But the Saudi government possibly abducting and harming a dissident writer living in Istanbul is a different thing altogether. This move could rile Turkish authorities, sour Saudi ties with allies outside the Middle East, and shift relations with some neighbors."

"Confirmation of any state-sponsored violence against Khashoggi would make it even harder for Saudi leadership to portray Iran as the ultimate villain of the region," writes Maysam Behravesh at Reuters. It would also "increase international pressure on the Trump administration, which has thrown its weight behind the young prince to execute his so-called reforms and helped set the stage for his ascension to the throne," as well as "backed the controversial Saudi-led intervention in Yemen with advanced weapons and political cover in international institutions." As Behravesh notes,

An airstrike by the Saudi-led coalition on a school bus in north Yemen left 40 children and 11 adults dead on August 9 and wounded 79 others, 56 of them children. CNN later reported that the weapon used in the deadly attack was a 500-pound laser-guided bomb made by Lockheed Martin and supplied by the United States.

Khashoggi had been critical of Prince Mohammed and Saudi-led actions in Yemen. "He lamented that Saudi Arabia's repression was becoming unbearable to the point of his decision to leave the country and live in exile in Washington," his editor at the Post, Karen Attiah, wrote yesterday.

Like way too many in U.S. politics, "Trump's foreign policy toward Saudi Arabia is compromised by deep financial conflicts of interest," points out Post contributor Brian Klaas.

In 1991, when Trump was $900 million in debt, he was bailed out by a member of the Saudi royal family, who purchased his 281-foot yacht, Trump Princess. Trump's other princess, Ivanka, is married to Jared Kushner, who has deep ties to the crown prince. In 2015, when asked about his relationship with the Saudis, Trump said: "I get along great with all of them. They buy apartments from me. They spend $40 million, $50 million. Am I supposed to dislike them? I like them very much."

Asked yesterday about cutting of arms sales to Saudi Arabia, President Trump told Fox News' Shannon Bream that "what we are doing with our defense systems" meant "everybody is wanting them and, frankly, I think that would be a very, very tough pill to swallow for our country." Asked about Khaskoggi's disappearance on Monday, he had told White House reporters:

I am concerned about that. I don't like hearing about it and hopefully that will sort itself out. Right now, nobody knows anything about it."

https://reason.com/blog/2018/10/11/october-11-reason-roundup

In 1991, when Trump was $900 million in debt, he was bailed out by a member of the Saudi royal family, who purchased his 281-foot yacht, Trump Princess. Trump's other princess, Ivanka, is married to Jared Kushner, who has deep ties to the crown prince. In 2015, when asked about his relationship with the Saudis, Trump said: "I get along great with all of them. They buy apartments from me. They spend $40 million, $50 million. Am I supposed to dislike them? I like them very much."

It always good to have a beholden, amoral con-artist businessman as *resident of the US.  What could go wrong?

I would be very surprised if the orange piece of shit, even under the up most distress does much about this.  I heard on NPR he was tortured, murdered and then dismembered.  This is very concerning and if our government sits idly by while this unfolds, it complicit in this mans murder.  

5 minutes ago, USA 236 said:

I would be very surprised if the orange piece of shit, even under the up most distress does much about this.  I heard on NPR he was tortured, murdered and then dismembered.  This is very concerning and if our government sits idly by while this unfolds, it complicit in this mans murder.  

Turkey can make a big deal over this and there will be consequences if they do.

• Like 1

The Turkish conclusion that Mr. Khashoggi had been killed was described by three people with knowledge of the investigation. Two were Turkish, and one was a senior official from an Arab government. All three spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the news media.

The conclusion was also reported by Asli Aydintasbas, a senior fellow with the European Council on Foreign Relations in Turkey, who was briefed on the findings by a senior Turkish official.https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/06/world/turkey-believes-prominent-saudi-critic-was-killed-in-saudi-consulate-in-istanbul.html

3 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Turkey can make a big deal over this and there will be consequences if they do.

It would be refreshing after the last two years that the country that I love, for once would be on the correct side of history.  However, I know Trump doesn't care and his enablers will only continue to enable.  The winning is exhausting and the Saudi Royal family is a stain on humanity.....

Just now, USA 236 said:

IT would be refreshing after the last two years that the country that I love, for once could be on the correct side of history.  However, I know Trump does'nt care and his enablers will only continue to enable.  The winning is exhausting.  The Sauidi Royal family is a stain on humanity.....

The reason I say this is big is that if it is shown that Saudi Arabia did this, it changes the entire metric of power in the Middle East, and Iran is no longer the leading bad guy. I do not know where this ends, but you can be sure that it likely ends badly.

I'd love to see us call KSA for all the BS they've perpetrated, so please don't construe my question to be sympathetic to or apologetic of the KSA, I'm asking from the context of what legal/constitutional authority the US Government could apply to the situation. 

The corruption of the House of Saud is well documented.  Aside from taking a moral stand against this, but how does the US legally respond to the KSA killing one of its own citizens?   

Just now, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I'd love to see us call KSA for all the BS they've perpetrated, so please don't construe my question to be sympathetic to or apologetic of the KSA, I'm asking from the context of what legal/constitutional authority the US Government could apply to the situation. 

The corruption of the House of Saud is well documented.  Aside from taking a moral stand against this, but how does the US legally respond to the KSA killing one of its own citizens?   

Frankly, this creates a problem for Trump mostly because of the $110 million size of the Saudi arms deal. This is going to create a lot of coughing and snorting before we get any kind of answer. The question is will it buy silence or condemnation?

4 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

The reason I say this is big is that if it is shown that Saudi Arabia did this, it changes the entire metric of power in the Middle East, and Iran is no longer the leading bad guy. I do not know where this ends, but you can be sure that it likely ends badly.

It wasn't a bunch of Iranians that flew planes into the WTC/Pentagon/a field in PA.  This would not be the first Administration that turned a blind eye to Saudi actions. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

It wasn't a bunch of Iranians that flew planes into the WTC/Pentagon/a field in PA.  This would not be the first Administration that turned a blind eye to Saudi actions. 

Very true, but I hope we are older and wiser now.

2 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

I really don't see how we could be?  We have numerous Bush cabinet members in the Trump Cabinet.  The most influential being that arrogant, warmongering, cretin Bolton....  

15 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Iran never was the "leading bad guy" in the Middle East.  They didn't invade Israel (Egypt).  They didn't invade Yemen (Iraq and Saudi).  They didn't invade Turkey (Syria).  They didn't invade Lebanon (ISIS).  OK, Iran did invade Iraq, but then so did we. 

Nor did they create a bunch of randomly divided "nations" (thanks, Great Britain) that can't seem to stop having resource and religious wars.

Yes, they do toss some arms around (but then so do we, GB, Russia, France, China) but, they are not the ones in violation of the nuclear arms deal (that would be US).

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, USA 236 said:

I really don't see how we could be?  We have numerous Bush cabinet members in the Trump Cabinet.  The most influential being that arrogant, warmongering, cretin Bolton....  

That puts them between a rock and a hard place if Turkey and a few other countries get upset over this. 

3 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Iran never was the "leading bad guy" in the Middle East.  They didn't invade Israel (Egypt).  They didn't invade Yemen (Iraq and Saudi).  They didn't invade Turkey (Syria).  They didn't invade Lebanon (ISIS).  OK, Iran did invade Iraq, but then so did we. 

Nor did they create a bunch of randomly divided "nations" (thanks, Great Britain) that can't seem to stop having resource and religious wars.

Yes, they do toss some arms around (but then so do we, GB, Russia, France, China) but, they are not the ones in violation of the nuclear arms deal (that would be US).

Every once in a while, you make a decent point.  This is one of those times, IMHO. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Good points, but the U.S. has painted Iran as the bad guy, and the press has allowed it, and the American public has swallowed it.

9 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Good points, but the U.S. has painted Iran as the bad guy, and the press has allowed it, and the American public has swallowed it.

Is there a limit as to what the US public will swallow?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Aside from taking a moral stand against this, but how does the US legally respond to the KSA killing one of its own citizens?   

The same way he treats other despot leaders who murder their own citizens. Meet with them in Singapore, tell them you fell in love and sell happy jack a commemorative coin to blow his load over. 

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

The same way he treats other despot leaders who murder their own citizens. Meet with them in Singapore, tell them you fell in love and sell happy jack a commemorative coin to blow his load over. 

Poetry.  If that doesn't make your mini cannon fire I don't know what will!  

3 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

We could say they were shitheels for doing it, instead of the President saying they pay his business lots of money, so what's he gonna do?

It's like the Founders thought there was a reason we should be concerned about emoluments.

2 hours ago, mad said:

for quite a few of them - a negro in the white house or the possibility of a woman as president

• Like 3

And gosh..... What's that? an accused US spy suddenly released from a Turkish prison?...... Gosh.................:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Actually, Iraq (Saddam)  invaded Iran. It is hard to keep track though. Don't forget that the CIA, in concert with the UK), overthrew Iran's fairly elected leader in 1953, which begat the Shah, which begat the current bunch - sort of like the Bible but without as many begats.

I think we are about to see Trump at his most amoral over this one - which is saying something.

1 minute ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Actually, Iraq (Saddam)  invaded Iran. It is hard to keep track though. Don't forget that the CIA, in concert with the UK), overthrew Iran's fairly elected leader in 1953, which begat the Shah, which begat the current bunch - sort of like the Bible but without as many begats.

I think we are about to see Trump at his most amoral over this one - which is saying something.

The Magats are already trying to discredit Jamal - because he did a story with the Mujahadin 30 years ago. Of course that was back when the US was funding the Mujahadin because they were "the good guys" but when did facts or history ever matter to the Red Hats?

1 minute ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

I realized I had reversed the two Ira_s in my feeble brain after I posted.  Too late to change.  

Not that Iran is all lollipops and rainbows.  

6 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Killing a USA resident in a planned hit in a NATO ally is a bit beyond the pale. One thing to kill him back home, but this is like jumping up and down giving the whole world the finger.

33 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Killing a USA resident in a planned hit in a NATO ally is a bit beyond the pale. One thing to kill him back home, but this is like jumping up and down giving the whole world the finger.

Doesn’t bother Russia. 

Just now, mad said:

Doesn’t bother Russia. 

Doesn't bother Trump.

6 hours ago, mad said:

The US public, yes.

The red hats, no.

I’m surprised this bothers Turkey- something else is going on, probably having something to do with regional ME power balances?

7 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I'm asking from the context of what legal/constitutional authority the US Government could apply to the situation. 

The same one as always, of course.

3 minutes ago, Amati said:

I’m surprised this bothers Turkey- something else is going on, probably having something to do with regional ME power balances?

A murder in the style of ISIS was done on a journalist, in Turkey, on Turkish sovereign ground. Turkey thought like everyone else did, that the new King of Saudi Arabia would be beneficial to the Middle East. Instead, he has detained citizens, has caused trouble in Yemen, Palestine, Lebanon, Syria, and now Turkey. Many nations are worried that killing people may happen in their own countries under the guise of diplomacy.

That's why this will become a big deal if proven.

1 hour ago, badlatitude said:

A murder in the style of ISIS was done on a journalist, in Turkey, on Turkish sovereign ground. Turkey thought like everyone else did, that the new King of Saudi Arabia would be beneficial to the Middle East. Instead, he has detained citizens, has caused trouble in Yemen, Palestine, Lebanon, Syria, and now Turkey. Many nations are worried that killing people may happen in their own countries under the guise of diplomacy.

That's why this will become a big deal if proven.

Doesn't have to be proven to be a big deal. National Pride and sovereignty at stake. False information (see weapons of mass destruction or Tonkin Gulf for example).  It depends on what the Turks see as what kind of action being in their best interests

1 hour ago, jerseyguy said:

Doesn't have to be proven to be a big deal. National Pride and sovereignty at stake. False information (see weapons of mass destruction or Tonkin Gulf for example).  It depends on what the Turks see as what kind of action being in their best interests

Point taken, thanks

10 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Point taken, thanks

You are most welcome.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Amati said:

Of course it does - everything to do with that.  Turkey has no issue torturing, killing and dismembering its own citizens.  This wouldn't even cause Erdo to blink had it not been for recent enmity between turkey and the gulf states over both Turkey's recent rapprochement with Russia and Turkey's on-going relationship with Qatar - which causes immense friction with the GCC.  In addition, KSA has criticized Turkey for their lukewarm support and occasional sabotage of the campaign against Assad in Syria.  Methinks Erdo sees this as a golden opportunity to drive a wedge between the US and KSA.  And it appears to be working.  At least in the press.

And while the apparent murder of Khassoggi is sad and regrettable - welcome to REAL POLITIK.  This shit happens all the time.  It doesn't mean we need to condone it or like it, but its a fact of life in many parts of the world.  The Izzy's Mossad literally wrote the book on this shit and you don't see the US ending relations with them over it or stopping sales of F-35s.  And just like with the izzies, the US will tell KSA they've been a bad boy and please don't do it again.  At least not so blatantly that they get caught.  

Meh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Meh.

Meh is an interesting comment

First they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out—
     Because I was not a socialist.

Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—
     Because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
     Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came_...

• Like 4

He wrote for the Washington Post for jumpin criminey Baby Jesus sake. Who cares, it’s not like it was a Foxy News Patriot. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-jr-jamal-khashoggi-tweet_us_5bc14ddce4b0bd9ed55a59db

Donald Trump Jr. promoted a Twitter exchange on Friday that smeared Jamal Khashoggi, the Saudi journalist and Washington Post columnist who disappeared in the Saudi consulate in Turkey earlier this month, as an ally of “jihadists.”

A new low in the endless parade of new lows.

33 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-jr-jamal-khashoggi-tweet_us_5bc14ddce4b0bd9ed55a59db

Donald Trump Jr. promoted a Twitter exchange on Friday that smeared Jamal Khashoggi, the Saudi journalist and Washington Post columnist who disappeared in the Saudi consulate in Turkey earlier this month, as an ally of “jihadists.”

A new low in the endless parade of new lows.

JFC!

What wrong with this family?

8 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Methinks Erdo sees this as a golden opportunity to drive a wedge between the US and KSA.  And it appears to be working.  At least in the press.

far more than the press, flyboy. The people who are really keen on MBS are Trump & Co. - pushed by the rich kid - they took a risk on the new autocrat. Him being a clumsy psycho is one of the risks. Unfortunately for MBS being a clumsy psycho is at odds with his desire for a reformed KSA.

there is no US domestic political pressure for pro-KSA policys like there is US domestic pressure for pro-Israel policys - the jesus freaks who are big on Trump being one notable block of pro-Israel supporters.

Fear not.  President Trump is on it.  In his interview for 60 Minutes, President Trump shared this is “being looked at very, very strongly” (I, for one feel so much better with the inclusion of the word "strongly", especially when preceded by not one, but TWO "very"s) and continued with “As of this moment, they deny it and they deny it vehemently,” (I guess as long as they don't just deny it, but do so "vehemently", we can all relax).

Then again, this Khashoggi guy was a member of the media, and we know how the President feels about them.  "Enemy of the people", and all that.

Linky

NSA/CIA/FBI/DIA/DARPA/EPA/Boy Scouts./Rotary Club/MI5/MI6/Etc.

Russians did X

Putin

No I didn't

Trump believes Putin every time. Not sure why this will be different :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

Fear not.  President Trump is on it.  In his interview for 60 Minutes, President Trump shared this is “being looked at very, very strongly” (I, for one feel so much better with the inclusion of the word "strongly", especially when preceded by not one, but TWO "very"s) and continued with “As of this moment, they deny it and they deny it vehemently,” (I guess as long as they don't just deny it, but do so "vehemently", we can all relax).

Then again, this Khashoggi guy was a member of the media, and we know how the President feels about them.  "Enemy of the people", and all that.

Linky

You had better prepare yourself Saudi's, the tweet master has spoken. Get ready for a Kavanaugh style investigation; he'll show you. Yes, he will.

Just now, badlatitude said:

You had better prepare yourself Saudi's, the tweet master has spoken. Get ready for a Kavanaugh style investigation; he'll show you. Yes, he will.

New word invention!

Kavanaugh: Noun, a cursory investigation to come to a conclusion already predetermined.

Ex. I saw a cop run a red light and called 911. The damn popo gave it a Kavanaugh.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Fakenews said:

JFC!

What wrong with this family?

Pretty well everything.

On 10/12/2018 at 11:30 AM, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Same thing the Turks maybe doing, nothing. Saudi cash is a tough addiction to break. 

What the press hasn't caught on to yet is if they are going to believe the stories coming supposedly from the Turkish government of absolute proof, even video evidence, that the Saudis are using that consulate as a butcher shop, why haven't the Turk's closed it?? 

That said MBS is a man whose judgement does not seem to be on a par with his elders. It was he who as defense minister told the crown that Yemen could be cleaned up in two shakes of a lamb's tail, and that lamb probably has great grand kids now...

Kashhoggy wasn't worth this. Period. 

:(

17 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

New word invention!

Kavanaugh: Noun, a cursory investigation to come to a conclusion already predetermined.

Ex. I saw a cop run a red light and called 911. The damn popo gave it a Kavanaugh.

Why am I still steamed about the Kavanaugh job? I could''t believe my eyes. My pappy was right about our government.

Even Political Anarchy has more class than what i saw with Kavanaugh's bit on TV.

Tough guys got to be tough. but when a friend and ally says they can kill who they want, where they want, it's time to get up from the table and let them know that they had better develop some damn manners.

(Reuters)- "Saudi Arabia on Sunday warned against threats to punish it over last week’s disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, as European and U.S. allies piled on pressure.

Khashoggi, a U.S. resident and Washington Post columnist critical of Riyadh’s policies, disappeared on Oct. 2 after entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul. Turkey believes he was murdered and his body removed. Saudi Arabia has denied that.

U.S. President Donald Trump has threatened “severe punishment” if it turns out Khashoggi was killed in the consulate, though he said Washington would be “punishing” itself if it halted military sales to Riyadh.

“The Kingdom affirms its total rejection of any threats and attempts to undermine it, whether by threatening to impose economic sanctions, using political pressures, or repeating false accusations,” the official Saudi Press Agency (SPA) quoted an unnamed official as saying."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-saudi-politics-dissident-sanctions/saudi-arabia-says-will-retaliate-against-any-sanctions-over-khashoggi-case-idUSKCN1MO0F1

Tough guys got to be tough. but when a friend and ally says they can kill who they want, where they want, it's time to get up from the table and let them know that they had better develop some damn manners.

It’s a nothingburger. As Trump pointed out, he wasn’t a US citizen, merely a resident. 

21 minutes ago, Keith said:

The house of Saud, shouldn't get a pass, they really need to be dragged into modern times...

https://globalnews.ca/news/4493922/saudi-arabia-canada-dispute-apology/

On many things I disagree with Trudeau but on this one I have to applaud him for having the stones to stand up to the Saudis on a manner of principle even though there was a financial cost to the Canadian economy. I think the US should do the same since this was much more serious. I fear they will not since Trump values nothing so much as the bottom line and standing up for the right often does not pay.

34 minutes ago, Sean said:

It’s a nothingburger. As Trump pointed out, he wasn’t a US citizen, merely a resident. 

I fully expect that Donald Trump will fold like a grandma who got gut punched. It should cost him, and it will.

11 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Eleven minutes of audio.  Man, they really took their time with that guy, didn't they?  

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/10/turkish-police-audio-khashoggi-killing-consulate-181014141407360.html

Trump sending Pompeo 'immediately' to meet Saudi king over missing journalist

Source: Washington Post

Middle East 

By Kareem Fahim, John Wagner and Souad Mekhennet 
October 15 at 10:33 AM 

ISTANBUL -- President Trump said Monday that he is sending Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to meet with Saudi King Salman amid the mounting international backlash over missing Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi. 

The kingdom has come under intense scrutiny over the disappearance of Khashoggi, who Turkish investigators believe was killed and dismembered inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul. 

Speaking to reporters, Trump said he had just spoken around 20 minutes with the Saudi king, who firmly denied any involvement in Khashoggi's disappearance. "I don't want to get into his mind, but it sounded to me like maybe these could have been rogue killers," Trump added. ... "Who knows? We're going to try getting to the bottom of it very soon, but his was a flat denial," he said. 

Trump said Pompeo would be departing Washington "literally within an hour or so" and has license to travel wherever necessary, including Turkey, to investigate what happened. Trump first announced Pompeo's trip in a tweet in which he said Saudi Arabia is "working closely with Turkey to find answer." 

Kareem Fahim is the Istanbul bureau chief and a Middle East correspondent for The Washington Post. He previously spent 11 years at the New York Times, covering the Arab world as a Cairo-based correspondent, among other assignments. Kareem also worked as a reporter at the Village Voice. Follow https://twitter.com/kfahim 

John Wagner is a national reporter who leads The Post's new breaking political news team. He previously covered the Trump White House. During the 2016 presidential election, he focused on the Democratic campaigns of Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders and Martin O'Malley. He also chronicled Maryland government for more than a decade. Follow https://twitter.com/WPJohnWagner 

Souad Mekhennet is a correspondent on the national security desk. She is the author of "I Was Told to Come Alone: My Journey Behind the Lines of Jihad," and she has reported on terrorism for the New York Times, the International Herald Tribune and NPR. Follow https://twitter.com/intent/smekhennet

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/saudis-to-allow-turkish-investigators-to-search-consulate/2018/10/15/4f1fd074-d000-11e8-a4db-184311d27129_story.html 

What the fuck has the US got to do with this? The worlds policeman?  Leave it to the Turks to sort out. 

Source: Washington Post

Middle East 

By Kareem Fahim, John Wagner and Souad Mekhennet 
October 15 at 10:33 AM 

ISTANBUL -- President Trump said Monday that he is sending Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to meet with Saudi King Salman amid the mounting international backlash over missing Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi. 

The kingdom has come under intense scrutiny over the disappearance of Khashoggi, who Turkish investigators believe was killed and dismembered inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul. 

Speaking to reporters, Trump said he had just spoken around 20 minutes with the Saudi king, who firmly denied any involvement in Khashoggi's disappearance. "I don't want to get into his mind, but it sounded to me like maybe these could have been rogue killers," Trump added. ... "Who knows? We're going to try getting to the bottom of it very soon, but his was a flat denial," he said. 

Trump said Pompeo would be departing Washington "literally within an hour or so" and has license to travel wherever necessary, including Turkey, to investigate what happened. Trump first announced Pompeo's trip in a tweet in which he said Saudi Arabia is "working closely with Turkey to find answer." 

Kareem Fahim is the Istanbul bureau chief and a Middle East correspondent for The Washington Post. He previously spent 11 years at the New York Times, covering the Arab world as a Cairo-based correspondent, among other assignments. Kareem also worked as a reporter at the Village Voice. Follow https://twitter.com/kfahim 

John Wagner is a national reporter who leads The Post's new breaking political news team. He previously covered the Trump White House. During the 2016 presidential election, he focused on the Democratic campaigns of Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders and Martin O'Malley. He also chronicled Maryland government for more than a decade. Follow https://twitter.com/WPJohnWagner 

Souad Mekhennet is a correspondent on the national security desk. She is the author of "I Was Told to Come Alone: My Journey Behind the Lines of Jihad," and she has reported on terrorism for the New York Times, the International Herald Tribune and NPR. Follow https://twitter.com/intent/smekhennet

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/saudis-to-allow-turkish-investigators-to-search-consulate/2018/10/15/4f1fd074-d000-11e8-a4db-184311d27129_story.html 

He has been authorized to interview Christine Blasey Ford as part of the investigation...and nobody else.  

It was Iran!  

9 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

He has been authorized to interview Christine Blasey Ford as part of the investigation...and nobody else.  

It was Iran!  

Funny how he thinks he can somehow contain this. The UN is going to have a huge hissy fit as soon as more info comes out.

See...... The thing is..... This guy wrote for the WAPO....... So..... He's just one less fake news guy..... Trump is not going to give this any more attention than he did to Roy Moore, or Kavanaugh..... It's just not important.

On 10/13/2018 at 5:42 AM, badlatitude said:

I can confirm you are indeed older. As to the other attribute... your country voted in Trump for president and the party that chose him as their candidate controls Congress. Wiser your nation is not.

1 minute ago, Bent Sailor said:

I can confirm you are indeed older. As to the other attribute... your country voted in Trump for president and the party that chose him as their candidate controls Congress. Wiser your nation is not.

Every country has a set of politicians that they deeply regret, unfortunately, the difference is we have much more influence and power.

8 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Every country has a set of politicians that they deeply regret, unfortunately, the difference is we have much more influence and power.

The world needed a hero, we gave them Trump.  We have yet to correct our mistake, meanwhile he picks judge after judge.   Elections have consequences.   I fear the consequences of this election will extend far into the future.

9 minutes ago, Lark said:

The world needed a hero, we gave them Trump.  We have yet to correct our mistake, meanwhile he picks judge after judge.   Elections have consequences.   I fear the consequences of this election will extend far into the future.

It certainly could, but we will survive and as long as we control a portion of the power base it will be harder for them to get an agenda done. For starters:

1. A Democratic House Majority Would Never Vote to Overturn Obamacare 

2. A Democratic House Would Not Privatize Medicare or Social Security 

3. A Democrat-Controlled House Would Not Vote to Outlaw Abortion Nationwide 

4. A Democratic House Could Investigate Trump-Related Scandals 

5. A Democrat-Dominated House Could Torpedo Additional GOP Tax Cuts for the 1%

I don't get the "Rogue Killers" idea Trump was talking about. Like they broke in the consulate, killed the dude, chopped up the body and nobody noticed?

update: Saudis are now saying "One source says the report will likely conclude that the operation was carried out without clearance and transparency and that those involved will be held responsible."

Oh, you just let guys on your team arrive at the consulate, kill the dude, chop up his body and blame it "without clearance"? Who does this without authority from the highest levels of your government?

12 minutes ago, Zonker said:

I don't get the "Rogue Killers" idea Trump was talking about. Like they broke in the consulate, killed the dude, chopped up the body and nobody noticed?

update: Saudis are now saying "One source says the report will likely conclude that the operation was carried out without clearance and transparency and that those involved will be held responsible."

Oh, you just let guys on your team arrive at the consulate, kill the dude, chop up his body and blame it "without clearance"? Who does this without authority from the highest levels of your government?

The Saudi's called up Trump and told him that Rogue killers did it.  Because he's a stupid piece of shit that is easy to use, he repeated what the Saudis said.  

He's just being used.  Like Putin used him. Like Kim Jung Un used him.

He's a buffoon that loves horrible regimes. 

Why did it need 15 of them? Are they just pussies or do they have a 'Wet Teamster union' over there? I mean how hard is it? One to hold him, one on the chainsaw, and a couple with mops and garbage bags. Maybe their cover was a rugby tour? They should have let off a few fire extinguisher and banged some deranged sluts in the airport toilets if they were serious about it.

• Like 1

"Is it just me or does it seem like the president of the United States is an active participant in a murder coverup?"

20 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Why did it need 15 of them? Are they just pussies or do they have a 'Wet Teamster union' over there? I mean how hard is it? One to hold him, one on the chainsaw, and a couple with mops and garbage bags. Maybe their cover was a rugby tour? They should have let off a few fire extinguisher and banged some deranged sluts in the airport toilets if they were serious about it.

You haven’t thought this through properly.

Two on the body and two on each limb, it’s hard to hold on as the bits come off.  Plus the chainsaw guy, 3 guys for a clean up and a lookout ............... fuck it is a rugby team. 

Edit, I’m going straight to hell for that one. 

3 minutes ago, mad said:

Two on the body and two on each limb, it’s hard to hold on as the bits come off.  Plus the chainsaw guy, 3 guys for a clean up and a lookout ............... fuck it is a rugby team. 

At least they had plenty of towels. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Saudi's are more efficient than this, I'm thinking wood chipper set on slow.

On 10/15/2018 at 6:38 AM, badlatitude said:

Funny you should say that - it's exactly how I felt when details of the USA's 'extraordinary rendition' AKA kidnapping and foreign secret prisons, where people could be tortured out of sight and oversight, became public.

I'm all for coming down on KSA, for sure, just let's not get too carried away with the bleating. Your hands are far from clean.

FKT

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Fucking tricky sneaking one of those in, and out of the embassy. And the team were struggling with volunteers for the breakdown after as well. 

28 minutes ago, mad said:

Right with you - I could not stop myself from laughing.

50 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

they called Winston "The Wolf" Wolfe to take care of things

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mad said:
1 hour ago, badlatitude said:

Fucking tricky sneaking one of those in, and out of the embassy. And the team were struggling with volunteers for the breakdown after as well. 

Somewhere near to the beginning of this event I saw reference to a bone saw coming in with the team. It certainly doesn't look like an "accident" from interrogation gone bad.

1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

Somewhere near to the beginning of this event I saw reference to a bone saw coming in with the team. It certainly doesn't look like an "accident" from interrogation gone bad.

Once they produce the body, they can forensically decide if the interrogation went bad or not. Without a corpse, it's quite fair to arrive at the judgment that this was something else. Saudi's, you're up to bat.

23 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Did they bring the bone saw with them through customs or are there bone saw shops were they could pick one up on the way in from the airport?

Mohammad did you bring the Bone saw? What? In the profits name you are a useless cunt. Wait! Allah be praised! There is a 'Honest Ali's used medical equipment' right across the street! Pull over!

2 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Did they bring the bone saw with them through customs or are there bone saw shops were they could pick one up on the way in from the airport?

Mohammad did you bring the Bone saw? What? In the profits name you are a useless cunt. Wait! Allah be praised! There is a 'Honest Ali's used medical equipment' right across the street! Pull over!