Sign in to follow this  

J24: Anyone ever DIY pull a deck?

Thinking about fixing up a J24. The deck is trashed but the boat can be saved (with considerable effort). 

It's an old boat and it needs everything. Literally everything. 

How do you pull a soft deck off a boat? Do I just build a  female cradle on the top of the boat then drill through and bolt the deck to the cradle, undo all the deck/hull fasteners and have at it? (get a few friends and maybe have a hoist on hand and pull off the deck) 

Then what? If I make sure the cradle is square and solid can I fix the deck up-side down on the cradle or should I fix the hull first then put the deck back on and deal with the wet balsa from above? 

If it's so trashed that it can't be fixed in place, I would chainsaw the boat into little chunks and then spread them throughout the country to make it harder for them to reassemble themselves.

You don't take a deck off to recore it - you'll have a bitch of a time keeping everything straight & aligned. It actually would likely be impossible on a boat as lightly built as that. Decks are frequently installed while the hull is still in the mould for that very reason.

Cut the top skin off in sections and replace the core as you go. Put a layer of glass down on each section as you go and when it's all done, prep it and lay a full layer of glass over it all - that should be plenty for a J/24.

In less than 1 minute I found a pile of J/24's on the class site for +-$5k. Old boats in decent condition. As good or better than you will get your d_ckless hull. Just the material alone to recore a deck would make me buy another boat. Oh wait. I forget "it needs everything". Just a 4hp outboard would cost $1000.

You live in the States. You live in RI the home of the J/24. Bury it in the J/Boat cemetery. Its the size of Arlington. In the fall, when there are no leaves on the trees, you can see the masts from 195. In the spring, you can smell the rotting balsa core miles away. Definitely worth a visit.   

Holy crap you're right.  The world (or at least the class website classifieds) are full of very decent $5000 boats.  Gives a man unreasonable thoughts.

If you are capable of earning more than 5 cents and hour you're crazy for taking on that project when there are so many cheap boats available

Sell it to a Mexican Drug Cartel as a drug Mule boat.