DDW

How do you stop a British Seagull?

9 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

My dad simply unclamped the thing and threw it into Long Island Sound.  Not one tiny peep of complaint from the crew.  Cheers all around actually.

We slowly drifted back to Larchmont and finally got a tow in.  Who laughed his ass off when we explained why.

He did that just to stop it? That seems a bit extreme.....

Just now, DDW said:

He did that just to stop it? That seems a bit extreme.....

Actually, a bit of poetic license on my part.  He hated that motor so deeply and thoroughly that he would have,  No, TBH, the truth is that he threw it in because it finally did start after maybe a hundred pulls, sputtered, died and he plain lost it.  We kiddies thought it was hilarious.  

18 hours ago, JimL said:

Now don't get me wrong as this is not meant to be a thread drift, but all this slingin crap at Seagulls is a bit unfair to those of us who do like to restore and tinker. 

Now stay with me on this; as a good mate of mine, who is not only a tinkerer but a mech genius as well has just trialed his steam powered outboard.

Not only is it a thoroughly modern approach to steam power but powering a thoroughly modern inflatable (albeit deflating at the time) with a heap of torque to boot!

See attached shots:

Boiler is gas (LPG) fired and condenser is the coil wrapped around the Seagull Leg.

Cheers,

Jim B)

20190411_140357_resized.jpg

20190411_140405_resized.jpg

20190411_141019_resized.jpg

Don Parker is a wizard     

18 hours ago, JimL said:

Now don't get me wrong as this is not meant to be a thread drift, but all this slingin crap at Seagulls is a bit unfair to those of us who do like to restore and tinker. 

Now stay with me on this; as a good mate of mine, who is not only a tinkerer but a mech genius as well has just trialed his steam powered outboard.

Not only is it a thoroughly modern approach to steam power but powering a thoroughly modern inflatable (albeit deflating at the time) with a heap of torque to boot!

See attached shots:

Boiler is gas (LPG) fired and condenser is the coil wrapped around the Seagull Leg.

Cheers,

Jim B)

20190411_140357_resized.jpg

20190411_140405_resized.jpg

20190411_141019_resized.jpg

That’s brilliant, though the idea of having it on an inflatable dinghy is brave. 

1 hour ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Don Parker is a wizard     

Beware of retirees with minilathes.

• Like 1

What not to love about a Seagull?    They look cool all cleaned up & attract a little crowd to fiddle with them.....fun stuff.

Minneys usually has a few but they fetch too much peso these days.  Someday.

Guys that motor needs to be at the next Sydney boat show or the Wooden Boat festival. I know many of the restorers or Wooden boat builders would love to see that in there.

3 hours ago, Oz Scout Sailor said:

Guys that motor needs to be at the next Sydney boat show or the Wooden Boat festival. I know many of the restorers or Wooden boat builders would love to see that in there.

I’d like to see more pictures and show them to the local steamboat guys. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ROADKILL666 said:

Must be the only running seagull left in the world

I know of several people that still use them, and my Silver century Plus with fan bladed prop was still in working order last time I used it.

Once I finish rebuilding my mini keel boat, the seagull will have a new use..

On 10/14/2018 at 9:18 PM, DDW said:

IMG_1643.thumb.jpg.6fe17347400239f96203e18d1e257d3f.jpg

Curiously, I have plans for the Seagull. I plan to convert it to electric. This isn't as whiggy as it sounds, in proper context.....

Oh yes it is!

14 hours ago, Left Shift said:

My dad simply unclamped the thing and threw it into Long Island Sound.  Not one tiny peep of complaint from the crew.  Cheers all around actually.

We slowly drifted back to Larchmont and finally got a tow in.  Who laughed his ass off when we explained why.

+1.

Step four wear out the Yamaha

Step five buy a new Yamaha

Step six wear out that Yamaha

Step seven hire a diver to retrieve the Seagull from where you left it

Step eight eight scrape the rust from the cylinder walls, pour some gas in and start it

• Like 1

Engine is from 1934

Yes it is on the plane

Yes it is breaking the river speed limit

It cost 26 quid new

On 5/21/2019 at 9:44 AM, DDW said:

But it's the only outboard you can rebuild with a screwdriver and a set of Whitworth wrenches.

The one I had many decades ago would live in the cockpit locker for months and even years between starts (we sailed in and out of the berth). When we needed it, pull it out, may have to dump a little oil in the spark plug hole and work the flywheel back and forth to displace the rust till we could get it to turn over, dump some oil/gas mix in the intake, pull a couple times and it started. This one - bought from a collector - hadn't been started in 20 years he reckoned, started second pull. I was a bit disappointed it didn't start on the first. 

We had one to push our Rhodes 19 off the can.  It seemed that I was the only person that could make it run reliably.  I had zero trouble other than when the wind was strong enough, the whole "going upwind" thing was a bit .... not possible. 

Got a different one in the garage. locked up. waiting for a tear-apart and a look-see to see if it's worth anything beyond being a piece of art.

On 10/14/2018 at 9:18 PM, DDW said:

IMG_1643.thumb.jpg.6fe17347400239f96203e18d1e257d3f.jpg

Curiously, I have plans for the Seagull. I plan to convert it to electric. This isn't as whiggy as it sounds, in proper context.....

^^^ The 5 Seagulls of the Apocalypse

• Like 2

On 10/14/2018 at 12:13 PM, snubber said:

Was watching the motorcycle races in Laconia, NH, back in the early 1990s. Rider wipes-out and injures himself pretty good. Looked like he broke a rib or two. His bike had a magneto and was lying on its side revving out of control. Our injured hero rises and attempts to kill the engine by pulling the plug wire. Shorts himself out and gyrates in DC electrical agony for a bit. My friends and I thought it was a little funny. A few years later I shorted myself to a plug on my cranky KZ650 as I tinkered in the driveway. It felt as if someone was tapping my heart with a pencil. Spooky. 

The Seagull? Probably better to kill it by cutting the airflow, instead of letting it run lean for a little while until the fuel runs out. Lean is mean. Probably doesn't matter much, but having a full carb bowl is useful.

Snubs

i installed a ground tab (light metal piece, connected, at one end, to the motor and the other, hovering above the spark plug.  the spark plug wire, "should" be the old kind, with just a metal ring/sleeve connected to the electrode.  To stop the motor, you push the metal tab onto the electrode, grounding out the spark.  The motor will stop and the smoke will dissipate... eventually based on the speed of prevailing winds. 

When I first read the topic my first guess was to drop a bunch of "chips" in the parking lot. For American seagulls use french-fries. Then I read it was about the engines. I always heard the problem was about starting them not stopping them.

14 hours ago, mad said:

I’d like to see more pictures and show them to the local steamboat guys. 

Hi All, Great to see the comments re Don Parker's steam outboard.

I am sure there will be more shots of this in action and he is a regular contributor to the Steamboat mob and the Wooden Boat show in Tassie.

I will try to get some more shots with his kettle outboard attached to something a bit more appropriate than that pneumatically challenged inflatable! 

Stay tuned.

Cheers,

Jim B)

• Like 1

Here is a steam powered spacecraft we just made. It flies in 1G here in Earth, so it will really zip around bodies (like asteroids) or between asteroids easily.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TQA said:

Engine is from 1934

Yes it is on the plane

It cost 26 quid new

26 quid in 1934 was a lot of money.

Families lived on 2 or 300 a year back then.

My mother always referred to them as "fence motors".  Always work on a fence with the prop in a water tub, but no use at sea.

That's just cruel.....

15 hours ago, TQA said:

Engine is from 1934

Yes it is on the plane

It cost 26 quid new

Since  that was posted by Horsleylandy88 I'm guessing that's on the Thames, though It could be on a bit of the broads I don't know. I could add Landy110 to my Name if I wanted. nice to see one  that old running., my silver century plus is  a mere early 1970's

On 10/19/2018 at 10:07 PM, Rushman said:

The Kiwis hold races each year, @Alcatraz5768 might know more.

There was a thread on the crew.co.nz forum, one of the members had built a seagull mounting craft from carbon fibre (my search didn't find the it)

here ya go

9 hours ago, 167149 said:

here ya go

I only watched the first 25 seconds, but man is it worth it!

Weren't they designed to be used by royal marines, so they were designed to be able to be dropped in the water and still run fine after a quick rinse? It helps explain some of the quirks

As a kid in sea scouts I found the easiest way to stop a seagull outboard was to put my hand over the air intake worked pretty well, starting one much harder

On 7/9/2019 at 10:56 AM, 167149 said:

here ya go

“If there's anything dad loved more than serenity, it was a big two stroke engine on full throttle!”

2816B07F-8641-468B-B51A-75E74F929BE1.png