Sign in to follow this  
SailBlueH2O

Not to hijack ...but you favorite 3 quirky movies

Recommended Posts

Being There,

A Boy And His Dog,

Harold And Maud,

Honorable mention to Wes Anderson's oeuvre.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Off the map

Eating Raoul

Repo Man

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harold & Maude

Fargo

Pulp Fiction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's hard as well.............

A Clockwork Orange

Dr Strangelove

Mars Attacks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Bacchus66 said:

The Ladykillers (1955 version w Alec Guiness)

+ a BIG bunch - the best of the Ealing Studio comedies - and they made a bunch of good ones.

Made a lot of stars too.

"But what about the lolly"?   "You just keep it Mum"

The muffled "boomph" when the bodies were dropped from the bridge into the railcars in the clouds of smoke was a great bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sorcerer: William Friedkin's first movie after the Exorcist, incredibly suspenseful story about criminals trying to transport unstable nitro to cap an oil platform fire

Run, Lola, Run: three different endings from the same scenario of a girl with a drug dealing boyfriend

Body Heat: when Kathleen Turner was hot, Ted Danson wasn't a caricature of himself and William Hurt wasn't full of himself

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Margaret's Museum 

Land of Mine

Forrest Gump  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Lars and the Real Girl

Buckaroo Banzai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brother where art thou

Christmas Vacation

Caddyshack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Drop

The Last Picture Show

Easy Rider - when watched in 1969 and had no idea about drugs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So many, I can’t just name three...but off the top of my head

Harold and Maude

Harry and Tonto

Bagdad Café

The Crying Game

Luther (as produced by the Beebs, and yes it’s a series but it’s good and quirky.)

Delhi Belly

Kung Fu Hustle

The Life Aquatic

A Life Less Ordinary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You all live sheltered lives!

Eraser Head

Pervis (aka All Dressed in Rubber)

Greaser's Palace

 

Now those are off the wall movies!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Thissis the worke you hadde to do?

I gave up on doing my work. Cases not due until tomorrow......

Besides, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie is on in a few, might have to watch that for the 112th time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

Besides, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie is on in a few, might have to watch that for the 112th time.

That is an excellent movie..............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

man faceng southe esate

Well played!

I'd add Zero Effect and Miller's Crossing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, d'ranger said:

1969 and had no idea about drugs. 

? :blink: ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

? :blink: ?

Was in college to fly in the AF.  A lot changed soon after.

Nobody mentioned:  Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?  thinking of college, mine was nothing like that. work and school although the last couple years work was playing in nightclubs and getting high while some how still getting a degree...... Was a jekyll and hyde period.  Got the lectures about taking drugs seriously. So I did.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Was in college to fly in the AF.  A lot changed soon after.

Nobody mentioned:  Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?  thinking of college, mine was nothing like that. work and school although the last couple years work was playing in nightclubs and getting high while some how still getting a degree...... Was a jekyll and hyde period.  Got the lectures about taking drugs seriously. So I did.

 

I can identify with that completely. In high school it was sports, then straight into the military. After that it was straight into a career of rescue work. None of those settings allowed use of illegal drugs, so I never did. Ever. Risk/Reward never penciled out. Never even had a cigarette. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I can identify with that completely. In high school it was sports, then straight into the military. After that it was straight into a career of rescue work. None of those settings allowed use of illegal drugs, so I never did. Ever. Risk/Reward never penciled out. Never even had a cigarette. 

In a very short period of time I found out that: eyesight wouldn't let me fly, government lied about drugs and Vietnam.    5 or 6 years later straightened up when to my surprise I did well enough on the GMAT to get into grad school.  Didn't see that one coming  :D  Seeing Easy Rider when I saw in a college town, away from home - drugs sex and rock and roll, well was an iconic moment. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, d'ranger said:

In a very short period of time I found out that: eyesight wouldn't let me fly, government lied about drugs and Vietnam.    5 or 6 years later straightened up when to my surprise I did well enough on the GMAT to get into grad school.  Didn't see that one coming  :D  See Easy Rider when I saw in a college town, away from home - drugs sex and rock and roll, well was an iconic moment. 

:lol:

‘I had no moral objection....it’s was more practical.....and health. I never said anything about sex or rock and roll though......

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given my avatar I'd have to say Pirates of the Caribbean, the first 3, so much more betterer than the following 2, or is it 3 now?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Point Break said:

That's hard as well.............

A Clockwork Orange

Anything by Quentin Tarantino

Dr Strangelove

Mars Attacks

 

totally with on the latter two.. watched an interesting documentary on the Making of Dr Strangelove on youtube the other day.

and how they got that cast together for Mars Attacks is beyond me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, BillDBastard said:

I gave up on doing my work. Cases not due until tomorrow......

Besides, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie is on in a few, might have to watch that for the 112th time.

Go read the books, or at least the first 3.  It is not possible to overstate how disappointing the movie turned out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tax Man said:

Go read the books, or at least the first 3.  It is not possible to overstate how disappointing the movie turned out.

Yeah IMHO the original radio play and subsequent tv series were far superior to the movie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Tax Man said:

Go read the books, or at least the first 3.  It is not possible to overstate how disappointing the movie turned out.

I don't know how the movie could possibly be as good as the books given the subject matter. As Dreadom says below....the original radio series is awesome. In my opinion better than any other method of content presentation. I checked it out as an audible book from my local library and enjoyed it immensely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tax Man said:

Go read the books, or at least the first 3.  It is not possible to overstate how disappointing the movie turned out.

Au contraire  mon ami, I have indeed read all five books in the trilogy. One should not expect most movies to capture the mastery of the written word in the hands of someone so eloquent and warped as Douglas Adams. That said I think they made an honest attempt to capture his slant and flavor. Far better than the TV series, which I found unwatchable.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A scanner darkly

Fear and loathing in Las Vegas

When the wind blows (no happy ending and quite traumatic to watch as a 9-10 year old, but worth it)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pan's Labyrinth

Labyrinth (The one with David Bowie)

Zombieland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I don't know how the movie could possibly be as good as the books given the subject matter. As Dreadom says below....the original radio series is awesome. In my opinion better than any other method of content presentation. I checked it out as an audible book from my local library and enjoyed it immensely.

How often is a movie anywhere near as good as the book?

Pretty hard to do given the time constraints.

Bullitt was better than the book.

The Friends of Eddie Coyle was the equal of the book.

The Godfather was the equal of the book.

That's all I got right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

How often is a movie anywhere near as good as the book?

Pretty hard to do given the time constraints.

Bullitt was better than the book.

The Friends of Eddie Coyle was the equal of the book.

The Godfather was the equal of the book.

That's all I got right now.

Good call, Bullitt definitely needs to be on the list. 

Anybody claimed Cool hand Luke yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

How often is a movie anywhere near as good as the book?

Pretty hard to do given the time constraints.

Bullitt was better than the book.

The Friends of Eddie Coyle was the equal of the book.

The Godfather was the equal of the book.

That's all I got right now.

Kubrick had a gift for doing no harm at the least and often improving the source material: 2001, The Shining, A Clockwork Orange, even Lolita.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mad said:

Anybody claimed Cool hand Luke yet?

Yes.  GG saide The Thirde Man moovie wase bettere then the booke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

How often is a movie anywhere near as good as the book?

Pretty hard to do given the time constraints.

Bullitt was better than the book.

The Friends of Eddie Coyle was the equal of the book.

The Godfather was the equal of the book.

That's all I got right now.

Not often but the movie can be interesting nonetheless............I can add one to your list.

Schindlers List - Just as good as the book....maybe better......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Point Break said:

I don't know how the movie could possibly be as good as the books given the subject matter. As Dreadom says below....the original radio series is awesome. In my opinion better than any other method of content presentation. I checked it out as an audible book from my local library and enjoyed it immensely.

I have the vinyl double album, it still gets a play when I fancy a laugh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IStream said:

Kubrick had a gift for doing no harm at the least and often improving the source material: 2001, The Shining, A Clockwork Orange, even Lolita.

The Shining is a good horror film but them there’s fighting words to suggest that Kubrick improves on Stephen King’s novel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BillDBastard said:

Au contraire  mon ami, I have indeed read all five books in the trilogy. One should not expect most movies to capture the mastery of the written word in the hands of someone so eloquent and warped as Douglas Adams. That said I think they made an honest attempt to capture his slant and flavor. Far better than the TV series, which I found unwatchable.

Hmmmm how the fuck is this unwatchable? 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Trafic"  (Jacque Tati version) also "Mon Oncle"

"Tampopo" (Japanese teriyaki western)

"Chelsea Girls" (Warhol) 

Thing not to do in the movies....Blurt out to your very straight, very hot girlfriend in the middle of Chelsea Girls, "I didn't know Mary AND Ingrid were both in this!"  Get the very icy reply "You know these people?  I want to go NOW."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

"Trafic"  (Jacque Tati version) also "Mon Oncle"

"Tampopo" (Japanese teriyaki western)

"Chelsea Girls" (Warhol) 

Thing not to do in the movies....Blurt out to your very straight, very hot girlfriend in the middle of Chelsea Girls, "I didn't know Mary AND Ingrid were both in this!"  Get the very icy reply "You know these people?  I want to go NOW."

Blonde ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Blonde ?

Never found out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, dreadom said:

The Shining is a good horror film but them there’s fighting words to suggest that Kubrick improves on Stephen King’s novel. 

Stan an Steave hatte eache orthere, they neede fitte it oute.               :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

"Tampopo" (Japanese teriyaki western)

Great flick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

How often is a movie anywhere near as good as the book?

Pretty hard to do given the time constraints.

Bullitt was better than the book.

The Friends of Eddie Coyle was the equal of the book.

The Godfather was the equal of the book.

That's all I got right now.

I think they did a fine job with Lord of the Rings considering the magnitude of the task 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sailm8 said:

Zabriskie Point

Vanishing Point .... the 1971 version ....

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sailm8 said:

Zabriskie Point

Vanishing Point

 

 

 

 

 

 

Vanishing point was an awesome cult movie. I so wanted that car......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm Gonna Git You Sucka

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, White Lightnin' said:

Grosse point blank

 

LA Story 

 

Serenity

 

WL

Minnie Driver was a bad fit for that role in GPB, though I did like the movie. 

Serenity was awesome, except for the big fuck you of needlessly killing off some of the best characters to end the franchise. It would be like making a movie of Freaks and Geeks and killing off Bill Haverchuck. Shit, now I've got to go watch F&G again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IStream said:

Minnie Driver was a bad fit for that role in GPB, though I did like the movie.

I thought she was great, and loved the movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Point Break said:

Vanishing point was an awesome cult movie. I so wanted that car......

VP whilst very entertaining was also a 98 minute long commercial for the Dodge Challenger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, artie_pitt said:

I thought she was great, and loved the movie.

Different strokes. I'm not a fan. 

On the other hand, Joan Cusack was a riot, as she always is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, artie_pitt said:

I thought she was great, and loved the movie.

she had to be small for Cusack to do the helicopter thingy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

VP whilst very entertaining was also a 98 minute long commercial for the Dodge Challenger.

you can try the Charger commercial...       also add this to my list     Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

VP whilst very entertaining was also a 98 minute long commercial for the Dodge Challenger.

Absolutely....it worked with me!! They filmed with 8 cars (440's with 4 speeds) and the final crash scene was actually a 67 Camaro loaded with explosives!

I so wanted a Challenger..............I settled for a dodge B-100 tradesman van............:lol:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

where did they find that many cops who can't drive? LOL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Point Break said:

I so wanted a Challenger

 

I liked the 'Cuda better. The Mopar dealer in Penticton had one just like this on the showroom floor in '70 - I totally lusted after it.

image.png.5e8073bab95ae1f3cbebd0fd078e3984.png

I knew a guy who had a Hemi Cuda at that time - what an insane car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I liked the 'Cuda better. The Mopar dealer in Penticton had one just like this on the showroom floor in '70 - I totally lusted after it.

image.png.5e8073bab95ae1f3cbebd0fd078e3984.png

I knew a guy who had a Hemi Cuda at that time - what an insane car.

No arguement with the cuda or the charger...........in fact I viewed the charger & challenger as virtually interchangeable in the 70's.

53fbde05c013768728f184465d80ecf8--vs-charger.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brazil.....Donny Darko.... and Being John Malkovich

 

quite the quirkfest :blink:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might as well put every Charlie Kaufman movie on the list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Office Space (I didn't laugh too much the first time.  By the fifth time, I was on the floor)

Idiocracy (we're living it now)

Blazing Saddles (Could never be made today)

Kill Bill

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Super 8

The Mist

The death of Stalin

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, IStream said:

Minnie Driver was a bad fit for that role in GPB, though I did like the movie. 

Serenity was awesome, except for the big fuck you of needlessly killing off some of the best characters to end the franchise. It would be like making a movie of Freaks and Geeks and killing off Bill Haverchuck. Shit, now I've got to go watch F&G again. 

What? No love for LA Story?? They don't get any quirkier than Steve martin!! :)

 

WL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Steve Martin a lot. I memorized all his albums as a kid. I think he's a really good banjo player. I've seen The Jerk more times than I'd like to admit. LA Story didn't do much for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Raising Arizona - hands down one of the best of all time.

Big Lebowsky - What can I say?

Life of Brian - great Python

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2018 at 1:46 PM, DarthSailor said:

Better Off Dead

Somebody dun thrown away a perfectly good white boy.  

That movie was way too funny.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

One of my favorite scenes from GPB

MS

She wase exsquissitte, sine me up anney time.               :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Secret agent Super Dragon", quite possibly the worst spy like spin off when the early 007 movies were a hit.

"Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine" a very young Vincent Price, Frankie Avalon, Annette Funicello, Marlon Brando. 

"Escanaba in da moonlight", one of the weirdest best movies I have seen. Not even sure how to explain it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites