nogodsnomasters

Trying to decide which brand of spray pants to get

My hand-me-down Musto MPX salopettes finally broke after five years of heavy use, so I'm looking for a replacement pair that'll hopefully last my at least three years (i.e. through the rest of college). Should I just get another pair of MPX's, or are there any less expensive, actually waterproof alternatives?

Gill isn't an option

Some of my teammates like Helly Hansen but I'm not too keen on the butt zipper

Thoughts on Henri Lloyd? Zhik?

Musto BR1/BR2/LPX?

Or should I just get another pair of MPX's?

Oh fuck I forgot to mention I’m a dinghy sailor haha, I don’t do much keelboat/big boat racing.

11 hours ago, nogodsnomasters said:

Oh fuck I forgot to mention I’m a dinghy sailor haha, I don’t do much keelboat/big boat racing.

Why not wetsuit / skiff suit / hiking pants?

Foulie pants in a dinghy aren't Ideal

57 minutes ago, 3apc said:

Why not wetsuit / skiff suit / hiking pants?

Foulie pants in a dinghy aren't Ideal

idk it seems to work well for pretty much every college sailor. staying dry is more comfortable imo

Take a look at HH, Helly Hansen. I picked up a few bits from them and they are really good. 

On 10/17/2018 at 10:52 PM, Varan said:

Cause they suck.

Pretty much. They’re garbage for just about anything. Only thing I’d buy from them would be maybe the thermal top. But I have one of those from rooster already and it works well.

On 10/18/2018 at 4:43 AM, Mogle said:

Take a look at HH, Helly Hansen. I picked up a few bits from them and they are really good. 

yeah I’m considering the Helly Hansen pants but now just debating one of those vs. MPX

Im with Rasputin on this. It really depends how much spraying you intend to do...but I prefer an overall.  Home Depot carries some good options.

583259135_spraypants.jpg.5a2ad79cd2ac14cf40a7911ea33e962a.jpg

On 10/18/2018 at 2:44 AM, nogodsnomasters said:

idk it seems to work well for pretty much every college sailor. staying dry is more comfortable imo

How are you keeping dry in a pair of pants when you capsize?

Wetsuit  &/ spandex+fleece stuff is the go.  Get a suitable spray top to cover.

If too cold for that setup, then you need a dinghy-specific drysuit.

Check out roostersailing to get an idea of better options than offshore pants (MPX).

6 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

How are you keeping dry in a pair of pants when you capsize?

Wetsuit  &/ spandex+fleece stuff is the go.  Get a suitable spray top to cover.

If too cold for that setup, then you need a dinghy-specific drysuit.

Check out roostersailing to get an idea of better options than offshore pants (MPX).

Yep. And the benefit is you can get a couple different pieces of gear to mix and match depending on conditions for far less than the cost of MPX.

Also.... if you're doing collegiate sailing in...Annapolis... I'd go with a drysuit. Look at any NEISA or MAISA college team..drysuits. 

But, if all you're doing is FJ/420 sailing in fairly moderate climates. MPX is the go to. As far as capsizing goes...no one tips over in FJ's or 420s...

For dinghies in the fall and winter up north? Drysuit, no question. You'll go swimming at some point. I have an Ocean Rodeo suit I like, but there are many out there.

On 10/23/2018 at 3:13 AM, ASP said:

Also.... if you're doing collegiate sailing in...Annapolis... I'd go with a drysuit. Look at any NEISA or MAISA college team..drysuits. 

But, if all you're doing is FJ/420 sailing in fairly moderate climates. MPX is the go to. As far as capsizing goes...no one tips over in FJ's or 420s...

Nobody GOOD tips over in FJs. As Mustang__1 will attest, I went swimming twice on my first day.