Sign in to follow this  
Blue Crab

Tattoos, Smoking and "Class"

Both smoking and tattoos say low class behavior to me. Can someone offer insight into why people do this crap? TIA :)

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Tattoos do not bother me. I think the objection is....for some reason....largely generational. All 5 of my kids and all 5 of their spouses have tattoos. My pop had mom’s name on his forearm. None of those people are low class.....whatever the definition of “low class” might be. Within my department we considered a no visible tattoos policy. After listening to considerable debate I decided against it. We did roll a tattoo element into our grooming policy which prohibits the display of obscene body art. So for instance, if you have the letters f - u - c -k tattooed on your hands, one on each knuckle then you are required to cover it the entire time you are at work. As an aside, I would support the assertion that a tattoo of that nature can be accurately described as low class. We have a number of other requirements in our grooming standard - hair length, piercings, sideburns, mustache length - that might surprise one. In short, my view is that the mere presence of a tatto is not low class....however some tattoos are indeed low class. 

Smokers......I don’t view it as low class, but I do have minimal interactions/friendships with smokers. Simply because I find the smell intolerable. However.....I know some really good folks who have made the choice to smoke. My parents both smoked and it killed both of them. It was always a obstacle to associating with them....and I loved them. We always got a hotel room when we visited, and they always made a sincere effort to limit their smoking when we visited. 

But “low class”.......no, I don’t agree.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dorado said:

Classy people usually refrain from being judgemental.

This

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bmiller said:

This

Might as well make this thread useful. 

How was the leaf peepin' trip ?

Personally................ I'm not fond of tattoos.... At least full body part tats. I have found that the people who do that have serious emotional issues, and tend to be self destructive. I don't like that.

I don't find small sentimental tats all that offensive, but still...... Why wear your heart on your sleeve?....

Smoking cigarettes..... I used to do that. I don't any more. I don't enjoy being around smokers, except my wife, and she doesn't smoke in front of me unless she's really stressed. I still don't like it, but when I quit, I told myself not to be one of those assholes who told smokers that they should quit.

Maybe I'm just a callous old bastard that needs a lucky strike, and a dagger though a heart..... On his arm......

10 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Personally................ I'm not fond of tattoos.... At least full body part tats. I have found that the people who do that have serious emotional issues, and tend to be self destructive. I don't like that.

I don't find small sentimental tats all that offensive, but still...... Why wear your heart on your sleeve?....

Smoking cigarettes..... I used to do that. I don't any more. I don't enjoy being around smokers, except my wife, and she doesn't smoke in front of me unless she's really stressed. I still don't like it, but when I quit, I told myself not to be one of those assholes who told smokers that they should quit.

Maybe I'm just a callous old bastard that needs a lucky strike, and a dagger though a heart..... On his arm......

I see a bunch of folks intent on tattooing their entire bodies, and to what end? Why do black people even bother? Most of the youngish people appear to be dead broke but well-tatted, and all smoke. Where do they get the dough, but i really wonder the why of it.

3 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

I see a bunch of folks intent on tattooing their entire bodies, and to what end? Why do black people even bother? Most of the youngish people appear to be dead broke but well-tatted, and all smoke. Where do they get the dough, but i really wonder the why of it.

Most of the black people I know who have tats are Caribbean, and most of them don't smoke...... Tobacco....

But I asked this one woman who went and got herself a yellow sun tat on her thigh, why she'd done it..... "I wanted to cover up the scar on my leg where I got stuck when I fell off my bike when I was 12...."

I told her that I'd never noticed her scar until she got the tat..... She said "Oh shit..... I almost thought that, but I put it aside....."

I used to smoke, until 22 years ago when I cold-turkey quit.  No tattoos, unless you include the one I had done on my brain.  It itched like hell, so I had to dream of sandpaper.  

I try not to date tattooed or pierced girls.  Just my preference.  Call me an elitist pig.  But I feel there's something fundamentally wrong.

My late dad, a great sailor, was senior surgeon in the Isle of Wight hospitals, 1950's through 1980s.  One of his duties was Thursday surgery in the secure hospital inside the maximum security prisons near Newport: Albany and Parkhurst.  Patients included one of the infamous Kray twins from whom he got an effusive Christmas card for years afterwards, prominently displayed on our mantlepiece to the appalled reaction of several of dad's judge friends at holiday drinks parties.

But I digress.

One of his major elective surgeries was removing tattoos from prisoners due for release who sincerely wanted to go straight.  Complicated, painful, but requested regularly.

That resonated, somehow.

YMMV, of course.

1 hour ago, Dorado said:

Pretty great, but I don't need to do that again. 

We hit most of it peak color and crowds. 

54 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

I used to smoke, until 22 years ago when I cold-turkey quit.  No tattoos, unless you include the one I had done on my brain.  It itched like hell, so I had to dream of sandpaper.  

I try not to date tattooed or pierced girls.  Just my preference.  Call me an elitist pig.  But I feel there's something fundamentally wrong.

My late dad, a great sailor, was senior surgeon in the Isle of Wight hospitals, 1950's through 1980s.  One of his duties was Thursday surgery in the secure hospital inside the maximum security prisons near Newport: Albany and Parkhurst.  Patients included one of the infamous Kray twins from whom he got an effusive Christmas card for years afterwards, prominently displayed on our mantlepiece to the appalled reaction of several of dad's judge friends at holiday drinks parties.

But I digress.

One of his major elective surgeries was removing tattoos from prisoners due for release who sincerely wanted to go straight.  Complicated, painful, but requested regularly.

That resonated, somehow.

YMMV, of course.

I've never known anyone with a tat who didn't eventually regret it.

If you feel the need to put illustrations on your body, do it with something non-permanent - you can always redo it if it fades while you still like it and it's going to be a hell of a lot cheaper and less painful than a zillion needles.

• Like 1

Smoking, yes. Ignorant and low class. I can't see any way to justify it otherwise.

Tattoos ... well that depends on the tattoo and reasoning. I agree that in many cases the tats I see are self destructive and limiting. However, I can't be too judgmental on tats as I have one. It went something like this: It was a week long sailing trip through the San Juans with my wife and two girls. Toward the end of the trip we saw this gorgeous view of glacier capped Mt Baker framed between two islands, with a sailboat in the foreground. My youngest daughter, the artist of the family, whipped out her sketch pad and did a beautiful pencil sketch of the scene. Being the smartass I am, I said "Hey, that's great! We should all get that tattood on us". I was of course kidding, but the girls went right into action to make it so, and when we stepped off that sailboat we stepped right into a tattoo parlor. Mine is on my shoulder, the girls are on hip and between shoulder blades, wife's is on her ankle.

Useless trivia. Princess Stephanie of Belgium https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Stéphanie_of_Belgium scandalized her husband when she got a small tattoo (anchor on her shoulder blade from memory).Her husband, Crown Prince Rudolf was scandalized and irrate at this improper behavior.  This was way back at the end of the 19th century.

A couple years later Rudolf killed his mistress (who might have been his half-sister because his father had fucked her mother) and blew his own brains out. Partly because his plans to undermine his father had failed, almost surely because his syphilis, alcoholism and morphine addiction were rotting his poorly educated mind.

Tattoos are superficial.

• Like 1

take it to PA  =  Phenomena  Anarchy

Image result for cigaret ashtray tattoo

1 hour ago, DA-WOODY said:

take it to PA  =  Phenomena  Anarchy

image.png.574f4695ba6a5e2dc37cbf37791b11ec.png

8 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Both smoking and tattoos say low class behavior to me. Can someone offer insight into why people do this crap? TIA :)

I don't have any tats.  Guess that means I have not been affected by peer pressure.

Tats do not make someone low class, tats are what people get to conform with those they want to associate with.

I worked for a publicly listed company that instantly sacked a women when management discovered she had a butterfly tat on her wrist.  Said she "was a bad fit" for the company, no mention of the tat.  Spoke to the MD later about it and he said it was a Tramp Stamp.

But then that was the same MD who sacked an Asian guy I recruited.   So I sacked him and took his job as my own MD.

9 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Judging people you know nothing about says low class behavior to me. Can someone offer insight into why people do this crap? TIA :)

That's how people with tats judge people with no tats.

Same as people who do not smoke judge those who do as weak willed for continuing to do something that is harming them and keeping them poorer.  Unable to stop.

I don't get girls that get full leg tats, like wearing the same pair of paisley tights, day after day after day.

As for smoking? Cough. :) 

1 hour ago, MidPack said:

Judging people you know nothing about says low class behavior to me. Can someone offer insight into why people do this crap? TIA :)

Blue Crab has a head boy complex. he's even bossier than me.

Tattoos used to seem "low class" because it's a tribal practice and uppity Christians and Jews did whatever they could to seem NOT tribal. In Asia and the Pacific, where tribalism was desired rather than shunned, tattoos didn't carry the stigma. Tribalism was contrary to the ideals of European society. These ideas are mostly gone now, and tribalism is encroaching on almost all classes, from working, to middle, to even upper, eventually even to elite.

Smoking as a "low class" activity is the opposite. It used to be -- just a generation ago -- that wealthy people smoked even more than working class people because they could afford to do so. If the working class person was broke, he could still afford a ha'penny of cheap tobacco and smoke it between work breaks. If he was better off, he could afford a cigar, if he was well off, he could afford good, moist pipe tobacco, and the time to relax and pack it and smoke it.

That whole thing flipped around only recently when the cigarette industry discovered they could make the addiction properties of their product much more intense by adding filters. They then sold much more product, but their customers became so addicted to it that they then died early. The backlash was extreme, and now vast sections of society simply don't smoke anymore, other than broken people who have little other joy in their lives.

And there are only two or three nonfiltered brands left, and some store chains won't even carry the nonfiltered ones out of policy.

• Like 1

I knew I'd irritate the folks with tats, and I really get the commemorative tat thing. No argument from me about the butterfly on a finely shaped ankle.

I recently saw an attractive young gal in shorts with big tats on her legs. It depressed me, and still does. Then yesterday during a football game it appeared that all the players were heavily tattooed. At least they can afford it. Most I see don't appear to have enough money to buy the smokes they enjoy.

Meli- I'd have been surprised if you didn't smoke, if ya get mah drift. 

I knew I could count on a couple of fogies here to turn my observations around. I don't mind being called judgemental. I'll double down and suggest that all the money wasted on tattoos could go toward college expenses rather than decorating short order cooks, bartenders, and their ilk.

24 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

I recently saw an attractive young gal in shorts with big tats on her legs. It depressed me, and still does. Then yesterday during a football game it appeared that all the players were heavily tattooed. At least they can afford it. Most I see don't appear to have enough money to buy the smokes they enjoy.

You’re welcome to your opinion, but I’m not sure why it would be depressing. Without knowing either of you, I’m certain that “young gal” wouldn’t be at all interested in you, or care about your views on tats. So you’re depressed why?

15 minutes ago, MidPack said:

You’re welcome to your opinion, but I’m not sure why it would be depressing. Why would you care that much? Without knowing either of your, I’m certain that “young gal” wouldn’t be interested in you. 

Depressing because l can see much further into the future than that kid can. Tattoos like a rock star doesn't make you a rock star. Your last sentence is just plain dumb, cappy.

Dammmmmmm

Some of the pa crowd has lost their way and ended up over here 

10 minutes ago, VWAP said:

Dammmmmmm

Some of the pa crowd has lost their way and ended up over here 

Blame Randumb. He pointed LB in this direction and I guess others came over to have a look.

Just now, albanyguy said:

Blame Randumb. He pointed LB in this direction and I guess others came over to have a look.

Yea Randum and Limp Buoy have some sort of something going, NTTIAWWT

11 hours ago, bmiller said:
12 hours ago, Dorado said:

Pretty great, but I don't need to do that again. 

We hit most of it peak color and crowds. 

I find it stunning that people come year after year

hunting season (guns) opens next week - that usually thins out the crowds

1 hour ago, MidPack said:

You’re welcome to your opinion, but I’m not sure why it would be depressing. Without knowing either of you, I’m certain that “young gal” wouldn’t be at all interested in you, or care about your views on tats. So you’re depressed why?

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

Depressing because l can see much further into the future than that kid can. Tattoos like a rock star doesn't make you a rock star. Your last sentence is just plain dumb, cappy.

1 hour ago, Jammer Six said:

Maybe. But he's right. She won't. You're one of them. 

She'll have plenty of company with her generation throughout her life including when she gets older, so it probably won't be an issue. What are norms to you, some will persist, and some won't. What you call "class" would be unrecognizable to her and most of her peers. But keep deluding yourself, she could care less what you think...

Tattoo:  a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling or emotion.

• Like 1

My Dad used to say he didn't mind tats on people. He said he liked seeing tats on someone because he then he knew right away that he was smarter than them! 

So I went and got this tat just for him

Image result for stupid tattoos

I don’t think smoking or tattoos are cause for judging someone’s class.

Content of visible tattoos might.

And if you smoke and throw your butts on the ground. Then yes, you are a low class mother fucker who will be judged. 

1 hour ago, J28 said:

Yup!  Credit Jimmy Buffett.

1 hour ago, J28 said:

My daughter wanted a tattoo on her forearm. She talked over her reasons and explained it to my wife and I. And she was set on doing it. Her reasons were sound. So my wife helped her pick out the design and then I paid for it so she wouldn’t shop based on price, to help ensure a better artist did the work. Came out a bit bigger then I expected but it’s perfect for what she wants. I’m sure one day someone will see it and judge her for it without realizing it’s a medical alert for her type one diabetes. She hated wearing the bracelet so she figured she would never forget to wear this. 

• Like 1

I think perhaps some of you have not been around a lot of younger folks very much? One aspect of my job was that every year, a new crop (30-60) of rookies would come in, attend the academy and out into the work force they would come. The last 10-15 years that annual number has gone up. Since our average age at entry is 26 and our work environment is such that we live and work together for 1/3 of our lives......you get to know folks pretty good. Their attitudes about tattoos are that they are completely normal and mainstream. There is absolutely zero concern about "class" associated with tattoo's. Several of them have lots of attoo's including one kid with pretty much both arms, chest and even on his neck. He is one the hardest working, fearless, and competent kids on our job and I'd guess him in his late 30's. I would without hesitation trust him with my life. In fact, I have. Be careful transferring your own dated observations into the contemporary culture. It simply no longer applies.

Another observation........none of them smoke. Nearly all of the smokers have aged out of our workforce. Unless you count the occasional social cigar which still seems to find favor.

24 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I think perhaps some of you have not been around a lot of younger folks very much? One aspect of my job was that every year, a new crop (30-60) of rookies would come in, attend the academy and out into the work force they would come. The last 10-15 years that annual number has gone up. Since our average age at entry is 26 and our work environment is such that we live and work together for 1/3 of our lives......you get to know folks pretty good. Their attitudes about tattoos are that they are completely normal and mainstream. There is absolutely zero concern about "class" associated with tattoo's. Several of them have lots of attoo's including one kid with pretty much both arms, chest and even on his neck. He is one the hardest working, fearless, and competent kids on our job and I'd guess him in his late 30's. I would without hesitation trust him with my life. In fact, I have. Be careful transferring your own dated observations into the contemporary culture. It simply no longer applies.

Another observation........none of them smoke. Nearly all of the smokers have aged out of our workforce. Unless you count the occasional social cigar which still seems to find favor.

and Pot that has been removed from drug screenings in at least some areas of Kalifornia

Tats are currently in fashion, and I don't mind them on most individuals.  They will fall out of fashion when the next generation refuses to get them because their parents have them.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bcubed said:

Tats are currently in fashion, and I don't mind them on most individuals.  They will fall out of fashion when the next generation refuses to get them because their parents have them.

:lol:

I recall one young man told me he really appreciated the artwork. I figure the others are just keeping up with the cool kids. Hope they don't grow up and want real jobs later on.

It was the WHY I was curious about. Not many of you went there and I imagine you realize it's a fad, and a bad one at that. A fad copied by poor folk who can ill afford it like the fame folk. I didnt want to mention tribal but since Mikey brought it up, it is what it is. And not in a good way.

And smoking? WTF?

when I was a nOOb driving a city bus another (not all that much) older driver explained tattoos to me

he rolled up his sleeve to expose a row of numbers (6-8 ?)

he explained the Germans put that on his arm about the last time he ever saw his parents

to him being tattoo free was a luxury and honor

he said you can get one anytime you want one

But you can Only not have one if you Never got one (No going back)

All that said

Sum Fine Art, like Fine Jewelry 

Most just a way to tell the world you can't keep that person from doing anything they want to do to themselves 

What about the nimrods with giant rings in their ear lobes, like some African tribesman from a 1972 National Geographic?  How do you reverse that? Major plastic surgery, I reckon?

1 minute ago, billy backstay said:

What about the nimrods with giant rings in their ear lobes, like some African tribesman from a 1972 National Geographic?  How do you reverse that? Major plastic surgery, I reckon?

They caulled gaiges, you juste neede sizzorres ounce you tacke the gaige thingey oute.  Snippe and snippe, alle donne.            :)

Depends on the tats. Love and hate on the knuckles, prison and gang tats, stupid crap and misspelling etc. are going to look bush. Artful stuff in at least some good taste would be OK. Smoking never looks educated. Knew some very well educated colleagues on university faculty who smoked and they hated their addiction. 

It is a look that slots the person in a predefined spot, along with the pine tree air freshener on the rear view mirror, the cheezy decoration on the mud flaps or the hitch, etc. so if that fits you're a member. If it doesn't fit then you get to try to overcome the first impression. 

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

Image result for naked woman armpit tattoo

Very classy.

Re: all the comments about tats not indicating low class.... if tats aren't low class, what IS?

You are aware sailors are largely responsible for the popularity of modern tattoos, right?  If a tattoo makes you laugh or think of a memorable moment each time you see it that's a good thing.  There are a lot of really shitty tattoos out there that people regret, but there are equally as many that are really artistic/cool.  

here are some people closer to your age with tattoos who are good examples of low-class people as examples...

Teddy Roosevelt

Winston Churchill

King George V

James Polk

Andrew Jackson

• Like 1

Except tatts and smoking are a choice.

One hurts, the other tastes terrible,  yet people often continue to partake until they become somewhat enjoyable.

Both are a example of the inate human ability to combine stubbornness with stupidity. 

We still haven't gotten to the WHY beyond a couple of posts. I proffer "hey! p-u-l-e-e-z-e pay attention to me!"

1 minute ago, Blue Crab said:

I say again, WHY?

The why, for tats, varies I'm sure, but it's about remembering, a need for permanence perhaps, and for neck face etc tats it's likely some sort of social statement that also likely varies.

Who knows and there are other things to wonder about. Like people who remove the mufflers from bikes or trucks or cars. WTF is that about? And I'm talking about the seriously loud variety that seems to be everywhere now.

It seems to me that it would suck being in the vehicle driving it. And don't bring up a loudish sports car or sportfish yacht, I'm talking the bike/truck/car that breaks the sound barrier without moving. What is the point of that? And they are everywhere. Thanks for your help, Blue Crab, I'm sure you'll have the answer.

1 hour ago, EquusAsinusDomesticus said:

You are aware sailors are largely responsible for the popularity of modern tattoos, right?  If a tattoo makes you laugh or think of a memorable moment each time you see it that's a good thing.  There are a lot of really shitty tattoos out there that people regret, but there are equally as  many that are really artistic/cool.  

here are some people closer to your age with tattoos who are good examples of low-class people as examples...

Teddy Roosevelt

Winston Churchill

King George V

James Polk

Andrew Jackson

Funny. You younger bucks got anything to offer about why you'd put this ink from head to toe? I can almost grok men doing it becuz ... we're men goddammmit, but what's with the gals?

2 hours ago, EquusAsinusDomesticus said:

You are aware sailors are largely responsible for the popularity of modern tattoos, right?  If a tattoo makes you laugh or think of a memorable moment each time you see it that's a good thing.  There are a lot of really shitty tattoos out there that people regret, but there are equally as many that are really artistic/cool.  

Teddy Roosevelt

Winston Churchill

King George V

James Polk

Andrew Jackson

Sailors, Fisherfolk..helps identify the bodies. 

Never had a tattoo. Some are nice artwork when early. Sewed a lot of THUG LIFE tattoos back together. Definitely helps to align the incision together. I like when people say they get them for themselves but put them somewhere they cannot see

had a lady with second degrees burns on her chest right over a tat that read BLAZE. Irony

4 minutes ago, burndoc said:

had a lady with second degrees burns on her chest right over a tat that read BLAZE. Irony

I'm sorry but............that's some funny shit right there..............

55 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Take that home to meet Momma?

what did Momma ever do to deserve that ?

4 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I'm sorry but............that's some funny shit right there..............

When I retire will do the coffee table book

other favorite was burns on abdomen and DAMAGED tattooed on lower chest

Growing up in the '70s our next-door neighbor was a retired rail-road man,  who had been in the Navy as a young man - yep,   old guy with old, blurry-greenish tatoos you'd see when he mowed the lawn.

Never thought they were the least bit cool,  but then - I've always been half-a bubble off the popular sentiment.

I never smoked (tried as a teen but couldn't stand it), but the names of my both kids tattooed on the inner side of the biceps of my both arms.

Class or not? No idea and really couldn't care less.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 7:07 PM, Blue Crab said:

Because they don't really care what you think, and they want to?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Jammer Six said:

Smoking is an auto-DSQ. For anyone, male or female. For anything, from racing to fucking to talking.

I always say they know themselves better than I ever will be able to. If, based on all that information, their (anyone's) conclusion is that they should smoke, I'm sure they're right, and I need nothing further to do with them. Once I recognize their conclusion, that's all I need to know.

Chicks with tattoos, however, are always more interesting than chicks without. It's an indication of an attitude thing.

If you're hooked up with a chick without tattoos, well, I'm sure it will all work out just fine. You wouldn't be interested in the chicks (and the attitudes) that interest me, and you don't need to worry about your woman dating me.

My best friend since childhood, the best man at my wedding, and they guy I can not talk to for months and we pick up like I saw him yesterday, is a chain smoker.

I wouldn't kill a friendship of 40+ years over something like that. His choices are his own. Yeah, I know he's killing himself, but in the big picture...he is who he is and I value him highly so it's not a factor. When I visit his house we tend to sit outside, not because I can't stand the smoke smell but because I am violently allergic to his cats.

I've been monogamous since long before tattoos on young women were a thing, back when women were bare under their arms but not below their waists...so body hair, tattoos, etc. really haven't ever been decision points for me. I did date one or two women who smoked back in the day. If she was worth it, you put up with it...though as an upfront it was a turnoff I clearly meet that outweighed that factor.

• Like 2

I’m eager for BC to explain exactly what he means by class?

Does he mean perceived social or economic status? Or perhaps to do with looking stylish? Or was he talking about decorum and etiquette?

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fashion/this-is-what-your-tatt-will-look-like-in-40-years-14-old-people-with-tattoos/news-story/c94ae9206051432dab2f636930dc0114

Some scary looking chicks on there.  I am wondering just how drunk do you have to be to hit on some of them..

http://www.kiwireport.com/tattoos-really-look-like-years-later-2pp/

Of course the worst ones are the chicks who have eyebrows tattooed on to save time doing makeup in the morning.

After a year or so, they always looks like crap...

6 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fashion/this-is-what-your-tatt-will-look-like-in-40-years-14-old-people-with-tattoos/news-story/c94ae9206051432dab2f636930dc0114

Some scary looking chicks on there.  I am wondering just how drunk do you have to be to hit on some of them..

http://www.kiwireport.com/tattoos-really-look-like-years-later-2pp/

Of course the worst ones are the chicks who have eyebrows tattooed on to save time doing makeup in the morning.

After a year or so, they always looks like crap...

https://www.rebelcircus.com/blog/celebrities-who-have-gotten-permanent-makeup-tattoos/

pamela-anderson-9.jpg

8 hours ago, dreadom said:

Does he mean perceived social or economic status? Or perhaps to do with looking stylish? Or was he talking about decorum and etiquette?

Yes.

Well, I put it in quotes. And note that I particularly indicated low class behavior. I'm sure many of these folks have money. It shows. I group them with People of Walmart. They worked at circuses back when we had circuses. It seems to me to be a pathetic cry for attention.

And to all you itchy typing fingers ready to tell me none care about my opinion. I got that. My unanswered question is why get all tatted up?

How unique is your appearance when yer peer group is tatted up? But more importantly, what is the benefit to you? It will affect your employment which becomes really important after, say, 30.

How about you dreadom? Obviously you've taken this personally, ya fucking downvoted me (gasp!), so what is in it for you? How about 10 years down the road?  Has the peer group considered the question at all?

It appears to me to be herd behavior toward uniqueness which is irony defined. Maybe it's oxymoronic. 

Some of the very nicest people I have ever met had had tattoos and smoked. 

Obsessions with class are for people who try to place themselves and others on rungs of an imaginary class ladder. I'm not saying I'm not judgmental, but I tend to judge people by how nice or kind they are, how well they treat me and others, are they respectful to all. 

Tattoos are just looks. So long as it's not obscene or exceptionally vulgar, judging someone by their looks, a book by its cover if you will, strikes me as pretty shallow.

I don't care for smoking, I have adult onset asthma and am bothered by it, but I know nice people who smoke, and nasty people who don't. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Funny. You younger bucks got anything to offer about why you'd put this ink from head to toe? I can almost grok men doing it becuz ... we're men goddammmit, but what's with the gals?

The why is different for everybody.  Sailors originally got tattoos because the identification cards didnt have pictures and to properly identify someone was hard because people generally look so similar.  If you find old british sailor IDs there are even drawings of their tattoos on the cards and theyre pretty cool pieces of history.  Different cultures/people have different reasons why.  Most primal tattooing like french polynesia and africa is for celebration a rite of passage or a major life achievement.  Every generation/person does shit to stand out. 

An honest answer to your question of why in normal modern culture (not prison/gang shit), it's because life has gotten super easy/boring/mundane/vapid for the vast majority of people in first world countries and it's a way to do something you feel is unique and cool and differentiating whatever that means.  I think a lot of people do it to look like they don't give a fuck because they think that's "cool".  For me personally, i got my first tattoo because me and my buddy were wasted and he was an artist and drew a funny thing that i had a really good artist do the tattoo later and it makes me laugh and reminds me of certain people/times in my life.  I've gotten others by the same artist because I honestly think the stuff he does is amazingly cool to look at and it's something when I notice it on myself (you do forget theyre there for the most part) it either brings up memories or makes me laugh.  It's been well over a decade and ive never regretted them once and probably wont.  There's an honest "why" answer for you.  

When I was young, it was all the World War II vets and Korean vets that had tattoos. My first real job was as an auto mechanic. My mentor was a guy who had been on a destroyer in Pearl Harbor when the shit came down and he had a couple of tattoos. I asked him about them and he said "you know what, don't ever do this. "

I said okay. So I don't have any tats

Every generation gets to do its thing, and I'm good with that

class is mostly ass

11 hours ago, dreadom said:

Social sophisticaion