DryArmour

CATEGORY 5 HURRICANE WILLA- MAZATLAN

Category 5 hurricane Willa is on a leisurely stroll to the north @ 7mph. Sustained winds are 160mph, gusts likely closer to 190.  Currently forecast to come ashore south of Mazatlan, the most severely affected area is mostly farmland provided the storm does as it is told and stays on track. Very warm SSTs and moderate to light shear is in the forecast so I am afraid this will be devastating for those in the right quadrant when it lands. 

The islands to the NW of PV also look like they are going to get pounded. I hope no one if on anchor this time of year in that part of the world and disconnected from the internet.

This is also bad news for Texas as they really don't need more rain right now. More later if the storm looks like it is going to ignore instructions and head further north. Be safe people.

20182951915_GOES16-ABI-FL-TRUECOLOR-EP24

173645_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

59 minutes ago, DryArmour said:

The islands to the NW of PV also look like they are going to get pounded. I hope no one if on anchor this time of year in that part of the world and disconnected from the internet.

Not much worry about that - there is a big prison on one of those islands and the area is a restricted zone.

<edited>

Uh, oh. Just thought about Isla Isabela, which is further shoreward but right in direct path. Huge nesting site for birds and usually a few fishermen and researchers on the island.

https://bit.ly/2OGzX36

It's a popular spot for cruisers to stop and look at the wildlife, but hopefully not at this time of year.

1 hour ago, Zonker said:

Not much worry about that - there is a big prison on one of those islands and the area is a restricted zone.

<edited>

Uh, oh. Just thought about Isla Isabela, which is further shoreward but right in direct path. Huge nesting site for birds and usually a few fishermen and researchers on the island.

https://bit.ly/2OGzX36

It's a popular spot for cruisers to stop and look at the wildlife, but hopefully not at this time of year.

So you’re saying there’s no need to worry about the prisoners about to get lit up?

More likely that there will not be a bunch of cruisers in that area, since it is restricted.

No reason to get lit up about that comment.

Prisons are typically fairly strong concrete buildings so yes, less to worry about there. I sailed by them and I don't recall many trees at the prison end (NW corner of Maria Madre). So less chance of airborne debris.

Not perfect but better than a fisherman's shack on the beach (Isla Isabela) or the town of San Blas which took a bad hit about 14 or 15 years ago.

As I understand, some of the prisoners families also live on the island. Doesn’t look good for them. Glad I’m hunkered down at Paradise Village!

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

So you’re saying there’s no need to worry about the prisoners about to get lit up?

It's the Tres Marias and cruisers (or anyone else) are not allowed to visit or anchor there.  On a PV race back in the early 90's, we got a little too close and the Mexican navy was not happy.

1 hour ago, silent bob said:

I wonder if the hurricane will derail the Migrant Caravan?

Bob, always with this eye on the ball..... l appreciate that.

:)

10 hours ago, silent bob said:

I wonder if the hurricane will derail the Migrant Caravan?

Haysuse is everywhere !!

50 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

Haysuse is everywhere !!

I took the Lord’s name in vain how many times?

12,593,428 times?

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!

Could this system cross over to the Gulf of Mexico, still be fairly well organized and regain strength??? And hit Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, Florida???

I am supposed to drive Texas to Florida this week-end. I guess it will be a wet gloomy drive...

1 hour ago, Laurent said:

Could this system cross over to the Gulf of Mexico, still be fairly well organized and regain strength??? And hit Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, Florida???

I am supposed to drive Texas to Florida this week-end. I guess it will be a wet gloomy drive...

Not likely.  The mountains in mainland Mexico are quite high and systems rarely make the trip from the Eastern Pacific to the GoMex intact.

49 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

20181023_104257.jpg

in actually rumor has it that even those who have dropped out of the stampede have mailed in their ballots while regestering for the event as a condition of being paid

How many Illegal Aliens does it take to change a lightbulb?

Juan

2 hours ago, cbrinckerhoff said:

maybe it could wash the caravan away, or at least bathe those smelly beaners

Why do Maxicans eat refried beans?

Because they can’t fry them right the first time!

23 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

20181023_104257.jpg

in actually rumor has it that even those who have dropped out of the stampede have mailed in their ballots while regestering for the event as a condition of being paid

Super awesome how no other group of people have ever tried to escape percussion, poverty or violence in their homeland to come to the USA for a better life. This should be moved to PA or better yet go call into Info Wars so you can continue your xenophobia with the other knuckleheads

25 minutes ago, dinomium said:

Super awesome how no other group of people have ever tried to escape percussion, poverty or violence in their homeland to come to the USA for a better life. This should be moved to PA or better yet go call into Info Wars so you can continue your xenophobia with the other knuckleheads

you haven't needed to go to our DMV lately obviously