Mid

Migrant Caravan

8 minutes ago, VhmSays said:

You are an economic migrant working in a place known for human right abuses, where women are chattel getting pissed at other economic migrants who seek better conditions. 

Yes I am an economic migrant who jumped through all the legal hoops to migrate here to work and live.  I didn't show up at the border claiming asylum and lying about why I needed to gain entry.  See the difference?  

And I think you are confusing the country I live in with another one currently in the news.  There is a huge difference between the two.  Don't be such an ignorant ass.  

3 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Yes I am an economic migrant who jumped through all the legal hoops to migrate here to work and live.  I didn't show up at the border claiming asylum and lying about why I needed to gain entry.  See the difference?  

And I think you are confusing the country I live in with another one currently in the news.  There is a huge difference between the two.  Don't be such an ignorant ass.  

Maybe I am confused about the country you are in, can women be imprisoned for reporting rape there? Can you speak freely or protest the regime there? Would you like your kids to be citizens?

You jumped through legal hoops to go and work in a more restrictive country for money and bitch about those who chose a better country.

1 hour ago, Shootist Jeff said:

They can apply for refugee status in their home country.  You fucking dolt.

https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/refugees-asylum

Refugee status is a form of protection that may be granted to people who meet the definition of refugee and who are of special humanitarian concern to the United States. Refugees are generally people outside of their country who are unable or unwilling to return home because they fear serious harm. For a legal definition of refugee, see section 101(a)(42) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

bolding mine. If you think about what "refugee" means, you'd understand, you needy princess you.

33 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

What I DO have a problem with is not staying to fight to fix it

That's only something that your entitled ass sitting in the middle fucking east chanting "burn the bitch down" gets to do, right? Your needy hypocrisy knows no bounds, does it?

2 minutes ago, VhmSays said:

Maybe I am confused about the country you are in, can women be imprisoned for reporting rape there? Can you speak freely or protest the regime there? Would you like your kids to be citizens?

You jumped through legal hoops to go and work in a more restrictive country for money and bitch about those who chose a better country.

Yes, you are confused.  To answer your questions:

• No, women cannot be imprisoned for reporting rape.  The women here are much more highly educated than the men.  In many ways they form the backbone of running the country. 
  • As for speaking freely - yes, to a point. 
  • Protesting the regime, no that would not go over well.  But their rules, not mine.  But that was not what you were talking about when you said "history of human rights abuses and treating women as chattel".  I see you are grasping at lessor straws to support your case. 
  • Whether or not I would want my kids to be citizens here is moot.  There is zero path to citizenship, even if you are born here not to a local parent.  No I wouldn't want them to be citizens anyway.  I like my own country just fine. 

And you are also confused about my bitching.  Yes, I work here for the money.  I wouldn't be here otherwise.  Although the sailing is pretty good too.  It is a good work opportunity, but its temporary to stash come $$ away for retirement before I go back home.  I have a better quality of life here doing an equivalent job than I would in the US.  But I'm in no way shape or form bitching at people who come to the US for a better life and for work and a better quality of life.  As long as they do it legally.  There is a Legal process to come to the US to work.  Follow it.  Get in line and wait your turn just like I did here and I'll be the first to welcome any brown, yellow, black or purple rainbow person at the border with a big smooch and a welcoming smack on the ass.  

11 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

That's only something that your entitled ass sitting in the middle fucking east chanting "burn the bitch down" gets to do, right? Your needy hypocrisy knows no bounds, does it?

Says the guy kid who lives in mommy and daddy's basement and only like Obamacare because you can stay on their health insurance until you're 28.  

17 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

As long as they do it legally.  There is a Legal process to come to the US to work.  Follow it.  Get in line and wait your turn just like I did here and I'll be the first to welcome any brown, yellow, black or purple rainbow person at the border with a big smooch and a welcoming smack on the ass.  

How many fucking times do you have to be told that asylum and refugee status are legal processes for immigrants? If you don't like the law, change it. You don't even have to leave that other country to exercise your right to vote!

Your constant bullshitting makes it clear you don't give a fuck about being informed, reading, and you just want to sit your dumb fucking ass in front of the computer looking at yourself rant and recite rightwing cliches, like a fucking fart sniffer.

20 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

As long as they do it legally.  There is a Legal process to come to the US to work.  Follow it.  

That narrows it to a 3. Lots of islands?

By the way what are they doing thats illegal? Lying that they are from a dangerously violent place?  They will be processed legally, better than being smuggled in. 

Now now...women who gather their kids together and embark on a perilous journey without promise if food and shelter can only be one thing: People who want to take R-jobz!  If they weren't...why, they'd hire lawyers and do things legally. Some of them are terrorists. Believe me. Many people are saying that. 

Jeff - 

Try thinking of it as an old-school protest march on Washington. 

Honduras is essentially a US colony; the mess there is a direct result of past US policy decisions. (including Obama's)

If I had gangsters and drug warriors battling it out in my neighbourhood, trying to outspend each other corrupting my government... comes a point where I'd think "hey, that's your money on both sides!  You ruined my house... I'm moving into yours, then!  You owe me at least that much.  Asshole." 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

How many fucking times do you have to be told that asylum and refugee status are legal processes for immigrants? If you don't like the law, change it. You don't even have to leave that other country to exercise your right to vote!

Your constant bullshitting makes it clear you don't give a fuck about being informed, reading, and you just want to sit your dumb fucking ass in front of the computer looking at yourself rant and recite rightwing cliches, like a fucking fart sniffer.

It seems that Mexico has offered to let them stay there with benefits, health care, education, etc.  What is the reason for asylum now?

3 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

What if claiming asylum is a lie and the would be immigrant simply wants to be in America?   It appears that Mexico is now offering asylum but it is being refused because they want America. 

That's why it is adjudicated.

When Mexico offers asylum and it is refused, the person is no longer an asylum seeker and needs to follow the normal immigration process.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dog said:

So what? They want to talk to migrant activist. How about their rejection of President Pena's proposal?

I'll repeat the quote:

"Activist Irineo Mujica of the Pueblo sin Fronteras group is supporting the migrants in the caravan. He told the group that 80 percent of those who apply for protective status would be rejected and deported."

Am I misreading something here?  I'm not being a dick. I'm serious. 

1 minute ago, Deplorable1 said:

That means 20% get in. That sucks. 

I know you have to respect for this country and principles it stands for. 

Check out this website:

https://www.nycwebstore.com/4-inch-statue-of-liberty-statue/

For only $2.99 you can get a 4 inch figurine of the statue of liberty.  Order one, and when it arrives, you can put it in the bathroom tub and take a shit on it. 

statue-nyc-liberty-4in-fg071-v2__45228.1

1 minute ago, Deplorable1 said:

Need I ask what you did with yours?

You are the one who hates what it stands for.  You tell us what I did with mine.  Make it as graphic as your hatred for this country. 

4 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

What I DO have a problem with is not staying to fight to fix it.  I would bet the number of able bodied men in these numerous migrant caravans, plus all the tens of thousands of other people who have fled to the US already likely outnumber the gangs by an vast margin.  Maybe even 100 to 1 or more.  Maybe a 1000 to 1.  Instead of fleeing to Norteamericanos, they should instead wipe out the gangs and make their nation a better and safer place for their families.  Yes, some might die, but the gangs can't kill them all.   Better to die in the service of your nation than flee like a coward and abandon your home to thugs.  I felt the same way about all the able-bodied young men who fled syria, leaving their wives and children behind in a war zone to run to Germany and other European destinations.  If you hate the regime so bad, then pick up a rifle and take it back!

You are either an uneducated fool or simply an ass.  In the villages where the drugs are manufactured the cartels outnumber the able bodied men, and also outnumber and out gun the militaries.  Where is a poor dirt farmer going to get this rifle?  You sure write a lot of shit for someone who doesn't know shit. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

But I'm in no way shape or form bitching at people who come to the US for a better life and for work and a better quality of life.  As long as they do it legally.  There is a Legal process to come to the US to work.  Follow it.  Get in line and wait your turn just like I did here and I'll be the first to welcome any brown, yellow, black or purple rainbow person at the border with a big smooch and a welcoming smack on the ass.  

You again show your ignorance.  The "legal" way is gamed.  The majority of the people who are in the USA illegally would NEVER get in under the current legal methods.  The reason for this is the need for cheap labor.  Individuals and Corporations in the production of fruits, vegetables, meat, poultry, as well as construction, hoteliers, landscaping and other trades need illegals who they can pay less than they would if that person was a legal worker.  The Congress Critters know this and know where their bread is buttered, so they keep the game going, then publicly wring their hands about these undocumented workers.  Dumbasses like you eat it up.

35 minutes ago, benwynn said:

I'll repeat the quote:

"Activist Irineo Mujica of the Pueblo sin Fronteras group is supporting the migrants in the caravan. He told the group that 80 percent of those who apply for protective status would be rejected and deported."

Am I misreading something here?  I'm not being a dick. I'm serious. 

You seem to believe I missed something significant. You even suggested I should read my own cite. So what the fuck is so significant that I missed?

19 minutes ago, Dog said:

You seem to believe I missed something significant. You even suggested I should read my own cite. So what the fuck is so significant that I missed?

I'm reading that the migrants were told that 80% of those requesting protected status will be deported by Mexico.  

57 minutes ago, Deplorable1 said:

You, like most Democrat loyalists, won’t lure me into your personal swamp. l’ll leave you to enjoy the filth by yourself. 

Well, you, like most Democrat loyalists, did the luring first. 

On 10/27/2018 at 10:02 AM, Shootist Jeff said:

I would say the continued drug epidemic and plentiful drug supply is a fairly good indicator of not having control of our borders.

Hahahaha.

its more an indication that the war on drugs is another failure...

• Like 1

On 10/28/2018 at 4:03 AM, Shootist Jeff said:

Sorry, I work around Brits and Aussies all day.

Ah, that explains it. Was wondering where your inferiority complex stemmed from, and now it makes sense.

On 10/28/2018 at 4:14 AM, Shootist Jeff said:

What I DO have a problem with is not staying to fight to fix it.  I would bet the number of able bodied men in these numerous migrant caravans, plus all the tens of thousands of other people who have fled to the US already likely outnumber the gangs by an vast margin.  Maybe even 100 to 1 or more.  Maybe a 1000 to 1.  Instead of fleeing to Norteamericanos, they should instead wipe out the gangs and make their nation a better and safer place for their families.  Yes, some might die, but the gangs can't kill them all.   Better to die in the service of your nation than flee like a coward and abandon your home to thugs.  I felt the same way about all the able-bodied young men who fled syria, leaving their wives and children behind in a war zone to run to Germany and other European destinations.  If you hate the regime so bad, then pick up a rifle and take it back!

Or you could just laugh about burning the bitch down , live overseas avoiding most of the fallout from the shithead(s) in charge back home, and then return some time later when you hope the worst is over. Which is OK by some people. Sometimes.

17 minutes ago, frenchie said:

Not just a failure  -  the root cause of the Caravan, really.

somewhat. the root cause of the caravan is globalization - the kind jeff despises out of one side, while cashing checks from on the other side - poor small farmers and rural folk aren't economically competitive. this is not a new phenomena in the world as a whole, but it's a relatively new phenomena in parts of the world. For central american rural poor there isn't anywhere too go other than north

1 hour ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

somewhat. the root cause of the caravan is globalization - the kind jeff despises out of one side, while cashing checks from on the other side - poor small farmers and rural folk aren't economically competitive. this is not a new phenomena in the world as a whole, but it's a relatively new phenomena in parts of the world. For central american rural poor there isn't anywhere too go other than north

The actual war part of the "war" on drugs, where people get killed a lot and maybe bystanders become collateral damage, is taking place in their hometowns.  But you think it's globalization has Hondurans fleeing?  Globalization must be pretty old hat to them by now, they're the original Banana Republic.

2 hours ago, frenchie said:

Not just a failure  -  the root cause of the Caravan, really.

Exactly.  Yet another reason to end it.

1 hour ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Not my problem.  I'm not a fan of globalization anyway.  At least in its current state.  Its all about greed and little sympathy for what you are destroying at home and in other places around the world.  Its inevitable, of course.  But its been poorly managed.  Hence the rise of Trumps all over the West.

Holy Crap! It turns out that it never actually was a Migrant Caravan, it's actually a MIDGET Caravan! The spelling mistake crept into the Associated Press's PC software, when it flagged the word "Midget" and then changed it to "Little Person", which then hit editorial, they saw the correction and thought it was an error because they read it as "migrant" so they rejected the correction and replaced with the word Migrant. 

What a shit show ...

https://youtu.be/cZNhvJjGH_4

13 minutes ago, VhmSays said:

What was that?

It's my miserable attempt to make light of a miserable situation. An old joke around Sailing Anarchy.

The fact that my country has now reached the condition where we are so collectively fearful of a caravan of broken and desperate people, that one of us even murders a bunch of Jews over it ... I really can't properly process these emotions in anything other than this.

We're the most powerful nation on the planet. We have been the world's beacon of freedom and decency. And now, we're reduced to this, shivering in fear of some political asylum seekers for whom we should rightly spring open our doors and our hearts.

I have a big open basement in my house, it's dry, it's warm, a small family of our fellow Americans (yes, South and Central Americans are still Americans) could shelter there for a week or two or four until they could get a job and a little apartment.

And yet, America is now supposedly great again, and thus we're terrified of them.

In my America, my President opened our doors to accept the broken refugees from Australia's "contamination island" and they're here now, making our country great in a genuine way.

If they found their way into my basement, would ICE pace off the steps to see where I had been hiding them? Would one of the children have a diary of the life she hoped to have as she still stumbled toward a doomed, and "more great" future?

I can't process what our country has become, so I do the SA version of a Rickroll.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, VhmSays said:

What was that?

Void Ho is the Sailing Anarchy equivalent of being rick-rolled. And that's all the explanation you get. Someone else can dig up threads to give you the full Reid Stowe experience. 

4 minutes ago, mikewof said:

It's my miserable attempt to make light of a miserable situation. An old joke around Sailing Anarchy.

The fact that my country has now reached the condition where we are so collectively fearful of a caravan of broken and desperate people, that one of us even murders a bunch of Jews over it ... I really can't properly process these emotions in anything other than this.

We're the most powerful nation on the planet. We have been the world's beacon of freedom and decency. And now, we're reduced to this, shivering in fear of some political asylum seekers for whom we should rightly spring open our doors and our hearts.

I have a big open basement in my house, it's dry, it's warm, a small family of our fellow Americans (yes, South and Central Americans are still Americans) could shelter there for a week or two or four until they could get a job and a little apartment.

And yet, America is now supposedly great again, and thus we're terrified of them.

In my America, my President opened our doors to accept the broken refugees from Australia's "contamination island" and they're here now, making our country great in a genuine way.

I can't process what our country has become, so I do the SA version of a Rickroll.

So your answer to my question about what we do about migrant caravans is to let them in?

14 minutes ago, Bent Sailor said:

Void Ho is the Sailing Anarchy equivalent of being rick-rolled. And that's all the explanation you get. Someone else can dig up threads to give you the full Reid Stowe experience. 

Long before you got here, I spent hours -- perhaps just out of a journalistic sense of getting records straight, if nothing else -- of defending Reid against outright slander.

Reid and I were friends, we both docked at John Krevvy's pier at Frying Pan. We helped each other with boat maintenance, drank beer together, he stopped after one beer, I stopped presumably a few moments before I blacked out, but I guess I always made it back into the cabin of my little Lancer. And then youth allowed me to sleep for six hours and wake up feeling like I just came from a vacation in Baja.

But we were friends and I didn't want the lies about him to go uncontested. He deserved at least that.

SA was collectively terrified of Reid back then, I've no idea why. 

6 minutes ago, Dog said:

So your answer to my question about what we do about migrant caravans is to let them in?

Let them in? You want to know if we should let them in?

We shouldn't "let them in."

We should spring our doors open and pull them in and help them find the same dream for the United States of America that our grandparents had for this country.

• Like 2

Just now, mikewof said:

Let them in? You want to know if we should let them in?

We shouldn't "let them in."

We should spring our doors open and pull them in and help them find the same dream for the United States of America that our grandparents had for this country.

Thanks..You're the first open borders advocate with the balls to say it that clearly.

1 hour ago, Dog said:

Thanks..You're the first open borders advocate with the balls to say it that clearly.

Yes, Thanks. Drag them in. I had hinted at that way ^ up there somewhere. But not so boldly. The bigots will just need to get over it. Maybe another hundred years will do it.

6 minutes ago, El Boracho said:
1 hour ago, Dog said:

Yes, Thanks. Drag them in. I had hinted at that way ^ up there somewhere. But not so boldly. The bigots will just need to get over it. Maybe another hundred years will do it.

I think it's just a semantic ploy to call it "advocating open borders."

Saying that we should welcome some groups of immigrants is a very very different thing than saying we should just completely open the borders.

But then, the same group of people think that allowing women to have actual control of their own bodies is "advocating abortion" so there is certainly a tradition of malevolent misdirection.

-DSK

4 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I think it's just a semantic ploy to call it "advocating open borders."

Saying that we should welcome some groups of immigrants is a very very different thing than saying we should just completely open the borders.

But then, the same group of people think that allowing women to have actual control of their own bodies is "advocating abortion" so there is certainly a tradition of malevolent misdirection.

-DSK

Please....When one is advocating that we pull them in when thousands of migrants just show up at the border he's clearly advocating open borders.

8 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Not my problem.  I'm not a fan of globalization anyway.  At least in its current state.  

You were just bragging in this thread how good you've got it because of globalization Jeff.  In your own words

I have a better quality of life here doing an equivalent job than I would in the US.  

To fix globalization you - and others - will have to take a hit in quality of life Jeff. No more expat jobs, no more dive trips around the world, no more cheap imported products. Walk the walk, bitch.

4 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

You were just bragging in this thread how good you've got it because of globalization Jeff.  In your own words

To fix globalization you - and others - will have to take a hit in quality of life Jeff. No more expat jobs, no more dive trips around the world, no more cheap imported products. Walk the walk, bitch.

"No more expat jobs"....Did you really say that?

1 hour ago, Bent Sailor said:

Funny I was going through that thread just a couple of days back, haven't read it all but thats when @mikewof showed up in SA and was suspected of being a one thread troll, part of mission control and got into it with quite a few including @MR.CLEAN about who was a real sailor.

22 minutes ago, Dog said:

Please....When one is advocating that we pull them in when thousands of migrants just show up at the border he's clearly advocating open borders.

Wrong.

Try to NOT lie your ass off, just once. Just to show the world that you -can-.

Your claim here is equivalent to saying that because I own a motorboat, I must therefor hate sailing. Well, I also own three sailboats.

-DSK

4 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Wrong.

Try to NOT lie your ass off, just once. Just to show the world that you -can-.

Your claim here is equivalent to saying that because I own a motorboat, I must therefor hate sailing. Well, I also own three sailboats.

-DSK

Nonsense, I ask him if we should just let them in and he said we should pull them in. Stone cold open borders advocate.

11 minutes ago, VhmSays said:

Funny I was going through that thread just a couple of days back, haven't read it all but thats when @mikewof showed up in SA and was suspected of being a one thread troll, part of mission control and got into it with quite a few including @MR.CLEAN about who was a real sailor.

I remember when Alan called me after that. He's a damned beautiful human being that guy. I've never had the pleasure of sailing with him, but I've deeply enjoyed our conversations. Alan is the truest and most pure sailor whom has walked this land. He's not just a sailor, he's an old school punk from back when we all took care of each other and when we admit that we fucked up, and when we reached a hand out to someone in the pit because we loved each other and we finally managed to murder our false gods of obedience and superiority. We were all Shane and Jello, and Rollins, and we were all John Weasel and Jim Jughead, and we would do the worm through broken glass to help a friend.

Someday I'm going to get high or drunk or both with Alan, or maybe just stone cold sober with an American Spirit and a jug of Gatorade. It's going to be like the Irish Rover song.

8 minutes ago, Dog said:

Nonsense, I ask him if we should just let them in and he said we should pull them in. Stone cold open borders advocate.

OK, let's look at it.

What happens at the US border?

1- people come in..... that's it. Nothing else ever happens, and there is no need for any other kind of enforcement, nor is there any attempt at any other kind of enforcement by any US gov't agency

2- lots of stuff happens, including people trying to come in.

Which is it?

-DSK

14 minutes ago, Dog said:

Yes, pull them in. The bigots should invest their energies in rethinking the USA's depraved Central American policy. Of course they don't just wander in. US citizens don't just wander back and forth, ya know. Process the passports.

You know what would be hilarious? To enforce the  employment rules at the corporations run by the 1%'ers that hire, abuse and make grand profits from 'employing' immigrants. That would be a first. One 'public performance' bust of a hog processor each few years is not enough. Pay the immigrants, and everyone else, a fair wage so they can live in a proper home...radical huh?

I advocate open borders. Yes.

We have open borders between states because borders impede the flow of knowledge, of ideas, of commerce, of progress.

The USA was blessed by thy mighty hand of God to be given neighbors like Canada and Mexico. Our triad of countries has created remarkable things, and we've done so in peace and security for generations. 

And at some point inthefuture.com, we'll need the labor from Mexico as much as now, but we'll admit it to ourselves as an expression of public policy. And we'll need the water and food from Canada to save our lives, and then we'll be glad that we opened that border with Canada.

Will opening our borders open us to attacks from terrorists and criminals?

Borders don't stop criminals, borders only stop the honest, the broken, the parent who has lost a child or a husband and at that final barrier, they break as delicate things break.

I mean it sincerely. My basement can accommodate a small family while they transition to life in the USA. This is my country too, it's the country our parents built for us. My parents taught me to share. Your parents taught you to share. We can share our country. Sharing our country is what made us truly great for nearly 250 years. It's what will continue to make us great.

I get that Trump in particular and Republicans in general, will tend to overplay the migrant caravan as a political issue.

Do the Democrats have a position on the matter for public consumption?  Their side seems either quiet, or deflecting.

16 minutes ago, Dog said:

Yup!

And guess what? I vote. I manufacture products. I pay lots, and lots and lots of tax. My immigrant grandpa came from Canada to Colorado for the same reasons that those migrants are coming North, for the hope and the American promise of a better life.

I'm an American man. This is my country, and I want to help give these people a better life. And in return, these people will add wealth, health and happiness to our 50 States, soon to be 52 States!

3 minutes ago, nolatom said:

I get that Trump in particular and Republicans in general, will tend to overplay the migrant caravan as a political issue.

Do the Democrats have a position on the matter for public consumption?  Their side seems either quiet, or deflecting.

I'm a Democrat, and I believe that what I'm writing here embodies our ideals on this topic.

Is there a Democrat here who generally has a different take with what I've written here?

4 minutes ago, nolatom said:

"tend to overplay"? it's existence as an issue is overplaying it.

1 minute ago, mikewof said:

Yup!

And guess what? I vote. I manufacture products. I pay lots, and lots and lots of tax. My immigrant grandpa came from Canada to Colorado for the same reasons that those migrants are coming North, for the hope and the American promise of a better life.

I'm an American man. This is my country, and I want to help give these people a better life. And in return, these people will add wealth, health and happiness to our 50 States, soon to be 52 States!

I get it Mike and I respect your position while disagreeing with it. SF is trying to weasel out of it on your behalf, that I don't respect so much.

5 minutes ago, nolatom said:

I get that the Trump in particular and Republicans in general, will tend to overplay the migrant caravan as a political issue.

I've been asking for quite a while what their criteria for entry would be and have never had an answer.

The current policy (not law) allows many who show up at the border in, assigns them a hearing date and lets them loose in the US.   Quite a few never show up for the hearing and just stay until arrested.

Perhaps they should await the hearing in Mexico or Canada as the case may be.

8 minutes ago, El Boracho said:

Yes, pull them in. The bigots should invest their energies in rethinking the USA's depraved Central American policy. Of course they don't just wander in. US citizens don't just wander back and forth, ya know. Process the passports.

You know what would be hilarious? To enforce the  employment rules at the corporations run by the 1%'ers that hire, abuse and make grand profits from 'employing' immigrants. That would be a first. One 'public performance' bust of a hog processor each few years is not enough. Pay the immigrants, and everyone else, a fair wage so they can live in a proper home...radical huh?

Yeah, but why don't the Conservatives want to do that?

BECAUSE THEY PERCEIVE IT AS CHARITY RATHER THAN JUST GOOD BUSINESS!!

We need to treat those immigrants well because we need them in our economy. If they stay in Mexico, they will make Mexico's economy strong. We need them here.

I predict that this caravan will not leave Mexico, and that Mexico will give them a good life and put them to work in their skyrocketing economy. And we'll lose out, and we'll let clueless charismatics like Donald Trump and G.W. Bush destroy our economy by pounding down the people who bring vibrancy and life to an economy.

Obama fucked up. When he opened our borders to those immigrants from Australia's Torture Island, he said something like "it's a one-time only offer." He should have said "these are engineers, and doctors and attorneys" like Jimmy Carter did with the Mariel Boatlift. Because then the Conservatives got to rub their hands together and say "voters ... money", then laugh maniacally. (I actually suspect that Conservatives don't rub their hands together and laugh maniacally, but it's some quality visual imagery.)

And then look what happened you dumbshit Conservatives ... you actually treated the Cubans as human beings and surprise, suprise, they FUCKING STARTED TO VOTE FOR YOU! Now little Cuba is full of conservatives!

Funny how that works, huh?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dog said:

I get it Mike and I respect your position while disagreeing with it. SF is trying to weasel out of it on your behalf, that I don't respect so much.

Maybe he's trying to find some position of concordance with you? You don't respect someone trying to meet you halfway? Isn't the trademark of a statesman, of a gentleman, of someone considerate and intelligent?

How could you not respect some measure of informed ration. I would call those "Jeffersonian qualities" would you not?

15 minutes ago, Dog said:

Because you live in a binary world. News flash, there’s more than just a choice between “open borders and “wall”

ive no issues with strict border control, following our treaty obligations, amnesty and a migrant worker program.

but it’s neither open borders nor wall...

Just now, mikewof said:

Maybe he's trying to find some position of concordance with you? You don't respect someone trying to meet you halfway? Isn't the trademark of a statesman, of a gentleman, of someone considerate and intelligent?

He’s got blinders on. It’s either Friend or For! Republican or Democrat! Go team go!

24 minutes ago, mikewof said:

I'm a Democrat, and I believe that what I'm writing here embodies our ideals on this topic.

Is there a Democrat here who generally has a different take with what I've written here?

Okay, I can read that here, but  was asking about Democrats in office, or running for office. 

16 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

I've been asking for quite a while what their criteria for entry would be and have never had an answer.

The current policy (not law) allows many who show up at the border in, assigns them a hearing date and lets them loose in the US.   Quite a few never show up for the hearing and just stay until arrested.

Perhaps they should await the hearing in Mexico or Canada as the case may be.

Thar policy clearly doesn't work for these type of very poor people, probably in part because they can't risk leaving the jobs they get, even for a day or two to deal with administrative standing in line.

Let's design a new process that works, rather than blaming our new employees, huh?

2 minutes ago, nolatom said:

Okay, I can read that here, but  was asking about Democrats in office. 

Beats me. If the Democrats in office don't agree with us, let's fire them and hire someone better.

15 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Because you live in a binary world. News flash, there’s more than just a choice between “open borders and “wall”

ive no issues with strict border control, following our treaty obligations, amnesty and a migrant worker program.

but it’s neither open borders nor wall...

Then why did you vote "like" when Mike said "We should spring our doors open and pull them in"? 

15 minutes ago, Dog said:

Then why did you vote "like" when Mike said "We should spring our doors open and pull them in"? 

I know this is your reflexive dishonesty - but you can let most everyone in and still have strict border control. Control means regulating traffic it doesn't dictate what the level is regulated to.

But this is the dishonest conflation and confabulation that drives you and drives the issue.

I expect a oneline shitpost from Dog in reply.

5 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

I know this is your reflexive dishonesty - but you can let most everyone in and still have strict border control. Control means regulating traffic it doesn't dictate what the level is regulated to.

But this is the dishonest conflation and confabulation that drives you and drives the issue.

I expect a oneline shitpost from Dog in reply.

But can one be in favor of both springing our doors open and pulling them in and strict border control? And as for you, do you favor letting them in while opposing expat jobs?  You guys havn't thought this through.

3 hours ago, Dog said:

When I was a kid, our church took in a few families from Vietnam. They got them housed and fed. I ended up with 2 of them in my class; Bao and Tran. They were cool. Tran ended up going to Harvard and becoming a doctor.

Kick start these caravan families and be done. They won't disappoint.

This is the USA for Christ's sake.

11 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

When I was a kid, our church took in a few families from Vietnam. They got them housed and fed. I ended up with 2 of them in my class; Bao and Tran. They were cool. Tran ended up going to Harvard and becoming a doctor.

Kick start these caravan families and be done. They won't disappoint.

This is the USA for Christ's sake.

I'm not anti-immigrant (I am one) but crashing the border by the thousands is not acceptable. 

1 minute ago, Dog said:

I'm not anti-immigrant (I am one) but crashing the border by the thousands is not acceptable. 

Reasons?

2 minutes ago, Dog said:

They're escaping their nightmares. Come on in, I say.

• Like 1

Just now, austin1972 said:

They're escaping their nightmares. Come on in, I say.

Get in line, I say.

Just now, Dog said:

Get in line, I say.

Normally I'd agree but these people aren't coming from Norway. They're escaping. The stories I've read? Yeah, I'd be hoofing it too.

2 minutes ago, Deplorable1 said:

Democrats are convinced that Socialism will save America from the greed of Capitalism. Why aren’t Democrats directing the illegal immigrant caravan to head south to Venezuela, the model of Socialism?

+1 for staying on the Talking Points. -1 for confusing socialism with communism, or whatever corruption of humanity is going on in Venezuela.

1 hour ago, Dog said:

I “like” that he has an opinion and is willing to share it, knowing that it will be twisted in knots by partisans like you.

50 minutes ago, Dog said:

Dog thinks “thousands” is a lot. Bigly. Trump is saying it.

1 minute ago, Raz'r said:

I “like” that he has an opinion and is willing to share it, knowing that it will be twisted in knots by partisans like you.

Oh...It wasn't the opinion you liked it was that he has one....got it.

3 minutes ago, Dog said:

Oh...It wasn't the opinion you liked it was that he has one....got it.

Do you live in a binary world by choice? Or due to low IQ?

2 hours ago, Dog said:

??

Explaining your dishonesty is not "weaseling" anything, thanks.

-DSK

1 minute ago, Steam Flyer said:

??

Explaining your dishonesty is not "weaseling" anything, thanks.

-DSK

Dude... you were the one misrepresenting. You know that right?

2 minutes ago, Dog said:

Dude... you were the one misrepresenting. You know that right?

sigh

What exactly goes on at US borders?

Again?

-DSK

18 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Do you live in a binary world by choice? Or due to low IQ?

"I “like” that he has an opinion and is willing to share it"....Raz'r

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

Thar policy clearly doesn't work for these type of very poor people, probably in part because they can't risk leaving the jobs they get, even for a day or two to deal with administrative standing in line.

Let's design a new process that works, rather than blaming our new employees, huh?

OK, build the refugee camp and colonias on the other side of the border.

1 hour ago, El Boracho said:

+1 for staying on the Talking Points. -1 for confusing socialism with communism, or whatever corruption of humanity is going on in Venezuela.

-1 for confusing Venezuela with socialism; -1 for geography, Venezuela is hardly south from Mexico

1 hour ago, austin1972 said:

Normally I'd agree but these people aren't coming from Norway. They're escaping. The stories I've read? Yeah, I'd be hoofing it too.

That's the point. Should our border be like the DMV, or more like the triage unit in an emergency room?

We don't make the child who is experiencing an anaphylactic attack wait in the same line as the guy who broke his toe while drinkenly kicking a bowling ball.

It's one of those things that can be referred to as "crashing" the border, if you want to portray it that way, or "seeking asylum" while hoping for a "credible fear" interview

if you want to be a bit more factual.

It is the President's job to solve the problems facing the country. A major problem is immigration both legal and illegal. The current Pres has been in power for almost two years and his party controls both parts of the Congress. Seems like a perfect opportunity to do something about this problem. And yet ... (you can fill in this part), nothing, as in nada, zilch, has been done. Tell me again about what a great job the Repubs are doing.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

OK, build the refugee camp and colonias on the other side of the border.

How? We have no jurisdiction in someone else's country. Why not let them work while they're waiting by assigning them a six month permit at say, 75% of minimum wage, with the other 25% going into an escrow, and then when they finish their uptake they graduate to full minimum wage and they can use their escrow for education or to buy a home?

7 minutes ago, mikewof said:

That's the point. Should our border be like the DMV, or more like the triage unit in an emergency room?

We don't make the child who is experiencing an anaphylactic attack wait in the same line as the guy who broke his toe while drinkenly kicking a bowling ball.

Any threat to them posed by their homeland has been resolved and they have been invited to apply for asylum in Mexico. The patient is stable. No need to crash our border.

between 1880-1920  over 4 MILLION Italian immigrants came to the US...they would have used a caravan over land if they had to....between 1935-1946 another 1 MILLION Italians came.  In the mid 1840's MILLIONS of Irish immigrants came to the USA. they too would have come via caravan if they had to.  They ALL crashed the boarder and we are better for it...

3 minutes ago, dacapo said:

between 1880-1920  over 4 MILLION Italian immigrants came to the US...they would have used a caravan over land if they had to....between 1935-1946 another 1 MILLION Italians came.  In the mid 1840's MILLIONS of Irish immigrants came to the USA. they too would have come via caravan if they had to.  They ALL crashed the boarder and we are better for it...

If being processed through Ellis Island in accordance with immigration policy and law at the time can be considered crashing the border.