Raked Aft\\

18-19 ski season

I'll start with a question for the PNW bums,

my ski group is considering Whistler in early March,  (typically their best base month)

never been and it's on the bucket list, but don't want to get skunked.

long range forecast is not good for the PNW,  El Nino is the call now.

question is how bad can it get at whistler if the forecast holds true and conditions look to be well below average?

We've got a short window to lock in housing.

Thanks!

If I am going to spend money being cold, wet, and miserable, may as well do it on a sailboat.. 

Remember a weather forecast is fortune telling with numbers...  A few years back we heard from a Cal Tech Climatologist that the Mother of all El Nino's was coming, batten down the hatches, get flood insurance, and stay away from the hills in Malibu...  ended up being our driest winter.

The thing about Whistler/Blackomb is they've got tremendous vertical and terrain facing just about every direction. No matter how bad the snow conditions are, you'll be able to find the best of it there. Upper mountain will have good cover no matter how measly the snow fall has been, if it's icy you can ski the east facing slopes in the morning and west facing slopes in the afternoon and keep your edges dug in all day. If you're intent on skiing the PNW and you're concerned it might be a crappy winter, Whistler's you're best bet. And iff the skiing absolutely sucks, you just spend your days getting plowed in the village bars.

1 hour ago, Raked Aft\\ said:

I'll start with a question for the PNW bums,

my ski group is considering Whistler in early March,  (typically their best base month)

never been and it's on the bucket list, but don't want to get skunked.

long range forecast is not good for the PNW,  El Nino is the call now.

question is how bad can it get at whistler if the forecast holds true and conditions look to be well below average?

We've got a short window to lock in housing.

Thanks!

I haven't been to Whistler for a few years but it is a great ski resort. The conditions are variable everywhere so with skiing you take your chances. My experience is that there has always been good skiing at that time of year. Even if it is a light snow year that is usually better than many other resorts. The worst I recall was getting a day or two where it rained on the bottom but generally that meant it was snowing on the top of the mountain. As a midwesterner it was also nice to be at a reasonable altitude at Whistler compared to the 10,000+ feet for Colorado and other areas.

Enjoy.

As said above.  Weather is vertical.  5200 feet of vertical, which is, you will agree, a lot.

When Whistler isn't good, it can be....not good.  But when it is good, it can be amazing.  And if you aren't there, you miss it.  

2 out of a dozen times I've been there it was "not good" on at least one day.  But we had a very good time anyway.  And the next day it was good again.  

Big Sky Montana this year first week of March, taking the two kids who did not get to go last year.  Last year it was amazing.

planning a trip to Mount Tremblant in Canada with a bunch of friends....we call it the sick day guys weekend as we all call in sick on Friday  and have a great 3 day weekend\

PLUS I got new skis ;-)

Look up Sun Peaks almost same size lots of snow usually fantastic  bone dry powder never any ice and less of a money grab than Whistler or at least it was. 

Whistler Village pissed me off a number of years ago. Over priced shit food served by hippy dippy ski bum still stoned from sharing a bong in the west bowl. 

Great skiing though . 

It's been a while since I have skied Whistler but I won't return. We stood in line for the lifts in the village every morning, typically a 45 minute wait. Rain was frequent at the bottom during those waits. I remember getting soaked to the bone and having everything freeze on the way up as the weather transitioned to freezing rain and then wet sloppy snow. I recall my wife skiing first tracks in a newly opened run and getting stuck in the wet cement they called snow.....

The village was OK, good bars etc. The skiing was not so great. 

I am guessing we skied 25 western resorts back in the day, our Whistler trip was by far the worst. I have been told that it is hit and miss at Whistler, I guess we missed. (BTW, Big Sky was one of the best)

11 years old..................This should get you stoked for the season.

• Like 1

Oh the no fear years, where anything and everything was fun no matter what the danger...  God I wish I could go back.  Kid is cool, but (and this is by no means busting on the kid) take a look at any skate park in cali and you will probably see a couple of tweeners doing shit that just 10 yrs ago was thought of as insane..  Props to the dad though, getting the kid up and on the kick ass stuff early in life.  I can just hear him at 8 ish...  Fuck ski school dad, I am gonna follow you...  :D

selling the condo in Vail and embarking on an Epic/Ikon tour of North America in an RV with a Jeep in tow.

general plan is to leave after the first of the year and chase snow until it's time to go sailing again.

probably insert a trip or two to the caribbean for some sailing

6 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

selling the condo in Vail and embarking on an Epic/Ikon tour of North America in an RV with a Jeep in tow.

general plan is to leave after the first of the year and chase snow until it's time to go sailing again.

probably insert a trip or two to the caribbean for some 

That's a hell of a plan. 

I just hope my knee holds up a little longer. But sadly I think there's some orthpaedic intervention in my future.

5 hours ago, bmiller said:

That's a hell of a plan. 

I just hope my knee holds up a little longer. But sadly I think there's some orthpaedic intervention in my future.

and the knees were sorta what drove this plan LOL they still work for skiing but walking down stairs or steep hills really lights em up. I amy not get in as many days in a row doing it this way, which will force some recovery time on me. And decided I've skied Vail enough and it's time to see some places I haven't been before.

Plan is two trips to Aspen this winter. Once to focus on skiing, the other to get some right seat time with a friend in a PC12. The cheap part is getting to denver, seems to be a real ball kicker for everything else but at least i won't need to get housing out there (_may_ be able to get picked up in the PC12 but that is probably a bit iffy and an "well i just dropped some people off, want a ride?")

I'm planning an Ice Coast trip with my daughter after the New Year but before her college ski racing starts up. Jan 2 - 7th.  

Looking at 1 day each at Hunter,  Gore and White Face then over to Killington for 2 days.

Thoughts? 

2 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

and the knees were sorta what drove this plan LOL they still work for skiing but walking down stairs or steep hills really lights em up. I amy not get in as many days in a row doing it this way, which will force some recovery time on me. And decided I've skied Vail enough and it's time to see some places I haven't been before.

You've had quite a run out there. I have a friend with a house in West Vail so is ski there a lot but would love to try new spaces.  I looked hard at the Ikon pass but was not sure i could maximize it this year.   

Great start to the season out here in CO. 

Looking southish from the top of Copper.

20181118_142458.jpg

20181118_122442.jpg

• Like 1

Pretty awesome start to the season. 

Spaulding bowl opened, union was open but the chair up there had to shut down while the haul rope gets installed on the new flyer lift.

Get out and gitsome.

Whistler when it's on, is epic. It can be busy, new lifts this year might help and it is priced out some locals like me. But I've done my time in lift lines all the way back to the early days of Blackcomb. My dad still skiis whistler/blackcomb, his season pass gets him about $15/day. 

Early March is usually a great time to go. 

Another epic mountain in bc is Fernie. Early March is great. I've had waist deep pow and no one there. It was cold though.  

And for the price of whistler, go cat skiing in BC somewhere.  

Hi Folks -

I could use advice from someone who knows Park City...  We often do Steamboat during Texas Spring Break, but...  we have a baby coming mid-way through that week (yay!).  So rather than telling our 13-year-old that the first impact of his new brother would be that he doesn't get to ski this year, we decided I'd take our son skiing 12/26-31.  Guys' trip, but the 13-year-old version, so pretty tame.  Should be good skiing, but I haven't been to Park City in 20 years, and under the circumstances opted to book a hotel in town instead of a much pricier condo near the slopes.

Here's my question...  I have a rental car.  I generally prefer to have the freedom of driving my own vehicle on my own time, rather than public transportation.  The hotel doesn't have a shuttle.  My preference is to drive to a resort lot and simply go skiing.  My question is...  Given the craziness of 12/26-31...  Which lot(s) should I use, and what time should I be there by to be CERTAIN I'll get parking?  Or should I just give up and take the city bus?

I just don't want to get there, drive around for 20 minutes, finally figure out the lots are all full, drive back and THEN have to take the city bus, finally getting to the slopes after 2 hours of aggravation, a few hours too early to be drinking in front of my 13-year-old son.

I'm happy to also take advice on which areas of the resort are best to hit with the current conditions...  I enjoy bumps and occasional trees (such as Shadows and The Ridge at Steamboat) and my son can hack that slowly but is happier on groomed blacks.

I'm also happy to hear if anyone had particular recommendations for good dinner spots for our circumstances.  I'll probably look for simple places with football, pizza, wings, and beer.

Thanks!!!

-C

53 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Hi Folks -

I could use advice from someone who knows Park City...  We often do Steamboat during Texas Spring Break, but...  we have a baby coming mid-way through that week (yay!).  So rather than telling our 13-year-old that the first impact of his new brother would be that he doesn't get to ski this year, we decided I'd take our son skiing 12/26-31.  Guys' trip, but the 13-year-old version, so pretty tame.  Should be good skiing, but I haven't been to Park City in 20 years, and under the circumstances opted to book a hotel in town instead of a much pricier condo near the slopes.

Here's my question...  I have a rental car.  I generally prefer to have the freedom of driving my own vehicle on my own time, rather than public transportation.  The hotel doesn't have a shuttle.  My preference is to drive to a resort lot and simply go skiing.  My question is...  Given the craziness of 12/26-31...  Which lot(s) should I use, and what time should I be there by to be CERTAIN I'll get parking?  Or should I just give up and take the city bus?

I just don't want to get there, drive around for 20 minutes, finally figure out the lots are all full, drive back and THEN have to take the city bus, finally getting to the slopes after 2 hours of aggravation, a few hours too early to be drinking in front of my 13-year-old son.

I'm happy to also take advice on which areas of the resort are best to hit with the current conditions...  I enjoy bumps and occasional trees (such as Shadows and The Ridge at Steamboat) and my son can hack that slowly but is happier on groomed blacks.

I'm also happy to hear if anyone had particular recommendations for good dinner spots for our circumstances.  I'll probably look for simple places with football, pizza, wings, and beer.

Thanks!!!

-C

I'd suggest parking at Canyons.  ride the surface 'can' lift to the mountain.

your son will dig it...

Get there early.

I would never book whistler for a firm no refund date range unless its for a month.

In other news I rented some volkl racetiger gs skis and if you are looking for some full on attack mode carving skis on groomed hard pack these are monsters. They turn even when stowed in the rack at the lodge. They are however a one trick pony. I am going to buy a pair of volkl rtm 86 in 182cm when my go to shop sells their 2017 demos in march. These skis can hold an edge on hard snow at speed with a 215 lb physical skier and still be useful in moguls etc.

Hey Mr Miller! lets make some turns in the next couple weeks.

Hey Mr Miller! lets make some turns in the next couple weeks.

You bet. I'll be at copper for sure next weekend, working but can definitely get out to ski. Ive got a couple comps left. 

Just came back from 4 days with my boys at Dodge Ridge. Cheap, close, small, lousy coverage... but perfect. I hammered the fancy locations with friends before I got married and I loved it,  but now I get more enjoyment out of taking my kids somewhere simple and close by with no lift lines. They're still young enough to think that D-R is awesome. $28 for their lift tix and $78 for mine, and just a 3 hour drive. 

The only downside of "family" style resorts is that American mothers who don't ski seem to think that it's OK to pull two tables and six chairs together and camp on them. You end up with 30 islands of empty tables protected by a harpy, and nowhere to sit with your tray to eat. In the end I just pick one, sit down and tell the person on guard that we'll move if her family shows up. They never have in years of imposing on "their" table. It's the "Germans on sunbeds" effect, but in the snow. Selfish and rude, IMO.

7 hours ago, bmiller said:

You bet. I'll be at copper for sure next weekend, working but can definitely get out to ski. Ive got a couple comps left. 

I've got an  ikon pass mate..  should be good except blackout dates

so I skied at homewood for three days, nice little hill. Perfect packed powder, ok offmthe groomers on the tahoe ski bowl side, cheap, and has the classic tahoe local feel.

At lunch I walk to any table with open seats and sit down regardless of the gear sprawl and the minder. I push the shit out of the way and tell the minder I dont recognize virtual asses in real chairs. Im nice about it but firm. Me, my wife and my two sons are actaully eating lunch right now, in the real world. We will be about 20 minutes. If no one is there and its just coolers and gear bags I move the whole shebang to the nearest wall so many people can eat at the table during the two hours the fuckheads tried to claim. If they come while I am eating I tell them the table was clear when I got there with a shrug. Fuckem. Entitled, territorial cocksuckers.

• Like 1

I will say that some minders are totally cool and just make room. If their party arrives they take the moremthe merrier route and make you feel welcome. In seats at a table they dont own or have any claim to. 

On 12/30/2018 at 11:29 AM, Wet Spreaders said:

Just came back from 4 days with my boys at Dodge Ridge. Cheap, close, small, lousy coverage... but perfect. I hammered the fancy locations with friends before I got married and I loved it,  but now I get more enjoyment out of taking my kids somewhere simple and close by with no lift lines. They're still young enough to think that D-R is awesome. $28 for their lift tix and $78 for mine, and just a 3 hour drive. 

The only downside of "family" style resorts is that American mothers who don't ski seem to think that it's OK to pull two tables and six chairs together and camp on them. You end up with 30 islands of empty tables protected by a harpy, and nowhere to sit with your tray to eat. In the end I just pick one, sit down and tell the person on guard that we'll move if her family shows up. They never have in years of imposing on "their" table. It's the "Germans on sunbeds" effect, but in the snow. Selfish and rude, IMO.

I'm a big fan of "Cheap, close, small, no line"...

I worked at Copper Mtn, CO for 3 years.  Back then our Employee pass was good for any Summit County area the first week of the month.  So I skied Summit County Resorts over 100 days per year.   But there were times when we would have to pay for lift tickets-  when those times came we would go to Loveland.  I was always amazed at how good Loveland was.  And it was cheap (half the price of  Copper/Brek/Keystone), Close (we would laugh at all the Denver commuters driving right past it to drive another hour to Vail), Small (but some great runs and 2200 vertical), and never a lift line!   We considered it our hidden secret.

Mr Miller, heading up to copper in the AM. PM sent.

some great runs so far this season. Thanks to bmiller for a great day up at Copper!

5 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

some great runs so far this season. Thanks to bmiller for a great day up at Copper!

Pics are always appreciated.  Especially since there is no snow at all here in Michigan now.:( 

On 12/30/2018 at 10:28 PM, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

so I skied at homewood for three days, nice little hill. Perfect packed powder, ok offmthe groomers on the tahoe ski bowl side, cheap, and has the classic tahoe local feel.

At lunch I walk to any table with open seats and sit down regardless of the gear sprawl and the minder. I push the shit out of the way and tell the minder I dont recognize virtual asses in real chairs. Im nice about it but firm. Me, my wife and my two sons are actaully eating lunch right now, in the real world. We will be about 20 minutes. If no one is there and its just coolers and gear bags I move the whole shebang to the nearest wall so many people can eat at the table during the two hours the fuckheads tried to claim. If they come while I am eating I tell them the table was clear when I got there with a shrug. Fuckem. Entitled, territorial cocksuckers.

I groomed Homewood for two winters back in the mid-80's...best job I ever had...start work at midnight...first run in morning to check slopes in case they needed a touch up...ski all morning...liquid lunch...nap...repeat...

• Like 1

It was a treat for me! You guys picked the right day, Sunday was shitty, although less crowded.

On 12/23/2018 at 6:42 PM, Raked Aft\\ said:

I'd suggest parking at Canyons.  ride the surface 'can' lift to the mountain.

your son will dig it...

Get there early.

Thanks for the advice, BTW.  We skied 2 days at Canyons and 3 at PC.  Those Cabriolet cans you mentioned were a fun experience.  Anyway, we established that if you're there by 8:40 or so, you can get the free parking.  Sometime between 8:50 and 9:30 would be too late.  But since I couldn't party late with a 13-year-old, we wound up being early to bed each night, so getting there by 8:30 was no problem.  We were on the first or second gondola or chair four of the five days, and skied until lift-close almost every day.  Getting the parking spot was important to me so that we could use the car as a "base camp" each day without needing to deal with the hassle and cost of storage.

We've reached that awkward age where he's just getting good enough to handle tougher terrain, so he's excited about it and wanting to crush it all day, while I'm just getting old enough (and fat enough) to be exhausted trying to do that. It was great, but I had to be very careful on my last few runs each day to not be that guy who blows a knee doing one run too many.

We hit most of the single-blacks and he did his first ever double-blacks (Motherlode Meadows and 94 Turns...  both of which seemed pretty tame...  some of the single blacks, like Massacre, were harder).  I was surprised at how many trails were open with shrubs and sometimes rocks exposed (not boulders, but just random little chunks hiding).  I was glad my skis were rentals.  Just one crash...  when my ski tip hit an previously obscured stump and I immediately pitchpoled.  Huge relief when the binding released on that one.

2 hours ago, bmiller said:

It was a treat for me! You guys picked the right day, Sunday was shitty, although less crowded.

I blew sunday off due to flat light. have gotten to the point of seriously cherry picking the days I ski. which will probably allow me to squeeze out a couple more years of skiing ;)

Yesterday(tuesday) was fun in the back. Holiday crowds at Vail have gone home. the snow over the weekend helped the conditions a lot.

3 hours ago, More Cowbell2 said:

Pics are always appreciated.  Especially since there is no snow at all here in Michigan now.:( 

sorry mate, too busy making turns to dig the phone out!  I'll see what I can do today. it's funny, the last few years, I've been less inclined to take pics of what I'm doing unless I stumble across a truly stunning image. There was one yesterday back in Game Creek Bowl but I just stood there and let it soak in, never thought about taking a picture of it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, More Cowbell2 said:

a few pics for the snow deprived LOL

image.png.466425f027beeba3c2c18a67c4e33467.png

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.bad123360f4c7c4fa1c2d568960a51a3.png

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.c0bd5fe1366290f5db9a6ccafb40a18e.png

• Like 2

What BC access is that?

I'd add some more photos but my ancient flip phone isn't the greatest tool for the job. I do have a small point and shoot, might need to carry that around some.

access onto Minturn Mile from Game Creek Bowl .

Headin up to steamboat today

52 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

access onto Minturn Mile from Game Creek Bowl .

Headin up to steamboat today

Love the Minturn mile!

ski buddy lives in Minturn and we'd always end the day w the MMile run.  typically stopping half way to take an, umm, smoke break...

Heading up mid feb.

How's the coverage in the back now?

The back is good right now but the last couple warm days have left it skied off. Will need a big dump in the next few or its front side groomers for me

Steamboat was fun today. back up on Vail or BC tomorrow and praying for snow! after a couple weeks of bluebird days we are due.

We'd Jan 14 . The documentary "Abandoned" @ the Colorado ski and snowboard museum

make that Monday LOL

I bought 5 epic passes for $490 each for family heading to Vail for week. Bought the insurance just on mine an wife's as we have an elderly parents in case there was an issue.  Never dreamed son would have to have an upcoming operation preventing him from skiing that week. Sounds like I'm totally screwed talking with them on refund or applying to future use. Anyone have any ideas? And this family skiing vacation is not like a yearly occurrence of ours. 

ok, the documentary is playing on wed Jan 16, snowsportmuseum at vail transportation center. First ad I read was a misprint. 

The town and surrounding area of Taos got pounded. Up at TSV was less snow but light and fluffy. I'll take 5inches of fluff over a foot of slop any day. Great day on the mountain today. Love the steeps and trees here. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 1:14 AM, Bump-n-Grind said:

Didn't hike up Ptarmigan ridge, huh ?

On 11/15/2018 at 3:48 PM, echo said:

I'm planning an Ice Coast trip with my daughter after the New Year but before her college ski racing starts up. Jan 2 - 7th.  

Looking at 1 day each at Hunter,  Gore and White Face then over to Killington for 2 days.

Thoughts? 

It was a great trip,  thanks.  

3 hours ago, echo said:

Didn't hike up Ptarmigan ridge, huh ?

HAHAHAH at my age, if gravity can't get me there, I generally dont go ;)

back in MD and had to shovel snow... wtf?

and more coming this weekend?

Tragic event at Taos. An inbounds slide on Kachina trapped two. One died, the second is critical. 

Buddy of mine was there and wound up on the probe line. 

Same day a slide on the pass up from my house caught a sledneck. He was dug out and CPR started, might make it.

Be careful out there.

getting ready for first east coast dumping tomorrow...Vt. should get a great snowfall.. Monday should be nice

3 hours ago, bmiller said:

Tragic event at Taos. An inbounds slide on Kachina trapped two. One died, the second is critical. 

Buddy of mine was there and wound up on the probe line. 

Same day a slide on the pass up from my house caught a sledneck. He was dug out and CPR started, might make it.

Be careful out there.

Saw that - if it started on the ridge that's a long straight drop.  1st trip to Taos many years ago a very popular local died, was doing runs out of bounds.  I guess when your number is up.... 

Looking over one of my happy places on earth. Doing laps out there is a blast.

20190120_115647.jpg

the last several days in CO have been fuuuuuuuuuuun!

the last several days in CO have been fuuuuuuuuuuun!

Glad to hear!   Heading to Vail on the 20th.  Hoping it continues hammering till then...

Staying at Dan Quales pad off lift 21.  SISO...

can't wait...

21 is in China Bowl. do you mean Cascade(20)?

3 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

21 is in China Bowl. do you mean Cascade(20)?

my bad,

yes, Cascade lift.  

my bad,

yes, Cascade lift.  

gf and I are popping up to Jackson for a week or so. Should be back in Vail by the time you get here. drop a note if ya wanna make some turns... maybe we can coax Mr Miller over for a day LOL

1 hour ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

my bad,

yes, Cascade lift.  

gf and I are popping up to Jackson for a week or so. Should be back in Vail by the time you get here. drop a note if ya wanna make some turns... maybe we can coax Mr Miller over for a day LOL

sounds good,

we'll be on the mountain 21st-24th.

just got a pro sale deal on some Salomon QST 99's.  psyched to break em in...

supposed to be their best all mnt board.

3 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

my bad,

yes, Cascade lift.  

Damn, that's exactly when my wife goes under the knife. Bad form to leave her bed ridden and alone.

Tomorrow is my first day on skis in two weeks. All that time in Arizona and SoCal might have softened me up.

11 hours ago, bmiller said:

Damn, that's exactly when my wife goes under the knife. Bad form to leave her bed ridden and alone.

Tomorrow is my first day on skis in two weeks. All that time in Arizona and SoCal might have softened me up.

wont she be sedated for a bit? LOL

I know it's a way overused word, particularly here at Vail, but the last few days have been epic up on the hill!

It was pretty decent over on our side of the pass also!

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 7:49 AM, Raked Aft\\ said:

typically stopping half way to take an, umm, smoke break...  

ohhh, you mean a safety check!

Heading out to do Vail and Breck the 22nd to the 25th.

Anyone gonna be out there?

--Matt

image.png.befec854ab53cbe16e66b3c99f35f126.png

weeeeee, leaving for Killington in a few hours :-)

2 hours ago, dacapo said:

weeeeee, leaving for Killington in a few hours :-)

Got snow?

18 inches of powder on Wednesday 

07DC37D0-2E33-4960-9CA4-5A9F3D06FCF0.thumb.jpeg.a8bdbf9a810b17cd41e8a6c6dce5de84.jpeg

when you gotta go :ph34r:

jackson hole was sick this week!

• Like 1

I finally got new gear. 184 Volkl Mantra 5's and Soloman XPRO 100 boots. Not before I jammed my left big toe into the front of my 15 year old Technica boots and damaged it so bad the nail had to be surgically removed. Was skiing last Tuesday down KT22 at sqauw with day old 18" of powder and I tried to remain standing when I was going backwards down a steep pitch (dont ask!). Skied the rest of the day knowing my big toe was fucked and the skiing was epic! But, the next day when the hill was essentially closed due to weather I went to the foot doc and he shot me up and removed the nail. No more skiing last week. Friday it cleared a bit and I had to drive home while my workmates proceeded to ski for four days at Northstar, Heavenly, and Squaw (last two at Squaw). Total bummer as Squaw is my fav by far and when it has tons of snow there is nothing like KT22, Headwall and there is tons of snow. The injury forced me to recognize that I needed new gear. I can't wait to get back up there!

Dayum, how times change.  Thought we had balls of steel just going at it from 5 yds from the initial drop back int he day.  Made for an epic day when the powder was like in the vids.  WOW, I want to be 25 and able to heal with a case of libations and a btl of advil in 15 or so hours again.....  :)

1 hour ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

I finally got new gear. 184 Volkl Mantra 5's and Soloman XPRO 100 boots. Not before I jammed my left big toe into the front of my 15 year old Technica boots and damaged it so bad the nail had to be surgically removed. Was skiing last Tuesday down KT22 at sqauw with day old 18" of powder and I tried to remain standing when I was going backwards down a steep pitch (dont ask!). Skied the rest of the day knowing my big toe was fucked and the skiing was epic! But, the next day when the hill was essentially closed due to weather I went to the foot doc and he shot me up and removed the nail. No more skiing last week. Friday it cleared a bit and I had to drive home while my workmates proceeded to ski for four days at Northstar, Heavenly, and Squaw (last two at Squaw). Total bummer as Squaw is my fav by far and when it has tons of snow there is nothing like KT22, Headwall and there is tons of snow. The injury forced me to recognize that I needed new gear. I can't wait to get back up there!

new skis are so nice....got a pair of RTM 86's this year and they're great

13 hours ago, bmiller said:

got to see a couple of those riding up on the tram. no idea who it was we saw.

18 hours ago, dacapo said:

new skis are so nice....got a pair of RTM 86's this year and they're great

I am getting a pair of RTM 84 used demo's in a week or so to add to the family quiver. I have used those skis a couple times and they are great. I got the wider Mantra's so I have a ski that leans more to off piste powder and crud but can still be coaxed to carve on hard snow. The RTM's do the groomers much better for my style anyway.

• Like 1