freewheelin

Start Sequence Timer - Display

I have an old either wind or depth display (don't recall) that the previous owner/crew put their knee through the screen of and doesn't work. I have more instruments than I need - wind x3, speed, depth, radar (that I took off the boat), etc. So rather than replace it, we just keep the cover on. Since I don't need the others, I was thinking it would be great place to put a start sequence timer that the crew can see rather than rely on watches.

So the hole is the size for a standard old style ray-marine  display (4" x 4" or something like that). Has anyone seen a product out there that would fit?

iPad mini inside a LifeProof case velcro'd over the hole, put the afro-side of the velcro on pad and the hard part on the bulkhead.

Lots of good countdown timer apps with big numbers you can use, and of course any GPS app or Navionics charts with depth or course displayed for after the start

Extra credit:   add the Ventus app to the iPad and sync it via your NMEA network to display other data from your instruments as needed via wireless mini router

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1sailor said:

iPad mini inside a LifeProof case velcro'd over the hole, put the afro-side of the velcro on pad and the hard part on the bulkhead.

Lots of good countdown timer apps with big numbers you can use, and of course any GPS app or Navionics charts with depth or course displayed for after the start

Extra credit:   add the Ventus app to the iPad and sync it via your NMEA network to display other data from your instruments as needed via wireless mini router

This is a cool idea. Issue would be taking it off (which we would want to do) would leave an open hole. I was hoping for something that I could leave out in the elements to be a permanent plug. Maybe it would be easier to find a plug and go with something like this?

1 hour ago, biglebroski said:

pro start 

pro start is sweet. unfortunately it doesn't look like it can/should be left out on the bulkhead. also, it is $600....

I wear a Optimum Time on my forearm (not wrist) and we use a Velocitek Shift mounted on the mast for everyone to see. Big numbers and the compass still shows in smaller numbers.

Kick ass at the starts all the time.

what's wrong with a wrist watch? One crew member should be counting the whole sequence anyway (every 10-15, then every second for the last minute)

Gill_Regatta_Race_Timer_Watch_Red.jpg

13 minutes ago, mustang__1 said:

what's wrong with a wrist watch? One crew member should be counting the whole sequence anyway (every 10-15, then every second for the last minute)

There is nothing wrong with a wristwatch. I started this thread hoping for a cheap and easy way to replace a dead instrument display with something useful - rather than spending a few hundred bucks on a new display i don't need or doing glass work.

22 minutes ago, VWAP said:

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. And seeing it, I now know I don't want it.

I rather like the idea of the weatherproof ipad mini and running a tactics app. There seem to be some where you can mark the line similar to ProStart. It seems cheaper than a prostart (if i buy an older/refurbished model), and I have the option to use as a chartplotter as well. Seems a good use of space on an already cluttered bulkhead.

I can probably make and install a piece of plastic that acts as a mount as well as a plug for the open hole fairly easily.

3 hours ago, freewheelin said:

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. And seeing it, I now know I don't want it.

I rather like the idea of the weatherproof ipad mini and running a tactics app. There seem to be some where you can mark the line similar to ProStart. It seems cheaper than a prostart (if i buy an older/refurbished model), and I have the option to use as a chartplotter as well. Seems a good use of space on an already cluttered bulkhead.

I can probably make and install a piece of plastic that acts as a mount as well as a plug for the open hole fairly easily.

I tried the iPad thing, couldn’t see it in any sun. Mine is about 4 years old though, I think the screens have gotten much brighter lately 

6 hours ago, freewheelin said:

practice counting down in your head. it is not difficult