Sign in to follow this  
Diamond Jim

Moisture meter for boat and cabinet shop use?

Is there a moisture meter that is suitable for sleuthing wet cores and cabinet shop use?

Google Tramex Skippers Plus. 

It is non destructive with rubber probes so good for core and osmosis testing. Is OK for general timber testing but professional timber moisure meters use penetrating pins.

I have a pro-grade Delmhorst pin-type meter which is meh for boat use (wish I had a pinless for that) and -- strangely -- nearly useless in my cabinet shop, which is what I bought it for years ago.  Turns out to be one of those gadgets you almost never need. All my cabinetry & furniture wood is hardwood kiln-dried to 6-8% MC, might arrive from the Midwest equillibrated at 10% but no higher.

If I were working in random softwoods, or locally sawn & air-dried timber, or turning green, then a moisture meter would be important. But making cabinets from (mostly 4/4) KD hardwoods from reliable vendors? Nah. After the first 500 vampire bites all read 8% +/-1, you stick the damned thing in a drawer & forget about it.

Pinless meters on boats require a fair bit of intuition & experience to interpret. More useful at relative readings than absolute, I should expect.

2 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Pinless meters on boats require a fair bit of intuition & experience to interpret. More useful at relative readings than absolute, I should expect.

Correct especially in the osmosis treatment arena. 

My understanding is these meters don't actually measure moisture, they measure an electrical resistance that shows relative moisture. In a boat application finding a buried aluminum backer plate ect. could leave one to think its a wet reading. I think there is a lot of smart required to use one as a boat tool.