Sign in to follow this  
Nobody you know

West System v. ProSet

In the near future, I will be doing some revision to a corecell/carbon fiber/epoxy  boat.  West System or ProSet?

It depends on your application and what you are trying to achieve -

To start I would determine the boats original manufacturing schedules (Fiber and matrix (glue)) - you don't want to make any part of the boat stronger/stiffer than the original. You could create force load differentials that could transfer loads intended for one part of the boat to other parts not intended.  

PRO-SET has some really great products that lend themselves to higher performance with post curing techniques. 

In most cases, standard WEST SYSTEM products will be great for repairs and revisions. 

What are the revisions you are making?

Changing an aft cabin  F82 tri to an aft cockpit.  The traveller will need to be relocated to the seat tops and the rear of the compression module will need a hull to hull span.  All else, from what I can tell, is relatively lightly loaded.  Thanks for your input.

Then any plain marine epoxy. Pro-Set is overkill.

Agree with Vegas thoughts from a structure standpoint. My decision point is based on what the work is. If it is just some quick bonding/laminating West is usually very adequate. If I need longer working times (large laminations, few hands) or working with materials that are harder to wet out or overhead I will go to Proset. The ability to adjust working times and viscosity is what I consider.

4 hours ago, In Theory said:

Agree with Vegas thoughts from a structure standpoint. My decision point is based on what the work is. If it is just some quick bonding/laminating West is usually very adequate. If I need longer working times (large laminations, few hands) or working with materials that are harder to wet out or overhead I will go to Proset. The ability to adjust working times and viscosity is what I consider.

West System has slow and extra slow hardener. Both are great especially in high temp conditions like the tropics. 

Question for Vegas: any info on relative sensitization between Proset and WEST?