Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chanceman52

22’ Maine Cat , I wanna go fast and party!

I have an all original 22’ Maine Cat that we recently purchased. It’s been on a boat lift collecting dust for over 10 years, although dirty, the hull is in perfect shape! I’ve never sailed before but I would like to turn this into a Booz and cruise style sunset boat for the family.

I’m not looking to sail, im looking to ad a 40-90hp motor and other comfort features for out sunset and dinner cruises but I’m not sure just how much motor this cat can hold, any thoughts? I want to obtain a safe speed which I would assume would be around 30 knots? Does anyone have any experience or thoughts in this conversion?

3E91C6E3-C625-4204-B8C8-7CE0E3D80066.jpeg

841E5A58-6D37-465B-9E3C-5A28EFD938BF.jpeg

C178C928-3B3F-46D4-97EE-ACDE99FBCCE4.jpeg

Does it come with mast and rigging? I would resell it and buy a pontoon boat(party barge), more comfort and stability and less modifications. 

I think 120 on each hull would do it.

If your actually serious then it is kind of a cool project. However you have a number of things to contend with, there is no where on the hulls that is designed for that kind of horespower. You will need to reinforce wherever you mount them.

Also it will probably squat at high speed, your going to need some big ass trim tabs

@Jimmycrab I have a Tritoon and 18 bay and a 29 coastal offshore. This hull always reminded me of Batman or speed racer as I drive by it in the lift. I homely said to my older brother, one day I’m gonna buy that boat and make it go fast, turn it into an advertising piece on the water. He said let’s do it!

i want it to be safe as far as speed goes but I intend on putting mini bar and grill on it, full sound system around 8k watts and maybe a hardtop.

We plan on some sort of awesome themed wrap.

we never intended on sailing it and have no plans to do so. It has a very nice deck for entertaining which we would like to ad on some chairs and lounge couch. Basically outfit it similar to a pontoon but way freaking cooler with this hull. 

@Mizzmo

i agree on the reninforcment aspect, I originally thought 115hp on each would be perfect but after towing it to our boat house, it kept wanting to run into the back of the tow boat and it has no motor or sail. Lol so I’m thinking it want take much to actually push it.

we would like to get up to a safe speed of about 30 knots or so, any faster I think maybe to dangerous. We literally plan on cruising to the sandbar and to restaurants for happy hour so 30knots is about all we need to cruise.

i just can’t find anything online with a sail to motor conversion of this size boat with a motor over 10 hp.

You'll likely need to add buoyancy aft to compensate for the weight of the outboards as well as to reduce the squat that you'll experience.  Two 40hp's would likely be adequate power but you have to deal with the trim/squat issues to be satisfied with running at higher speeds under power.  Ultimately, it wasn't designed for the use you're wanting to accomplish so it will be imperfect at best to a waste of money at worst.

Look up engine weights, the get some buddies to go sit where you think the engine(s) should be...

Let's see... Designed by Dick Newick
https://www.mecat.com/brokerage/maine-cat-22/

Specs
LOA    22'-0"
DWL    21'-8"
Beam    13'-0"
Beam folded    8'-6"
Draft min.    11"
Draft max.    2'-10"
Mainsail    196 sq.ft.
Jib self tacking    71 sq.ft.
Weight (full up)    1,100 lbs.
Displacement @ DWL    2,340 lbs.
Beam to LWL ratio    1:11.8
Mast height    30'-0"

2,340 (Displacement @ DWL) - 1,100 lbs. (Weight) = 1,240 lbs payload capacity @ DWL

(1 / 11.8) * 21.66' = 1' 10" Beam waterline (1.835' each hull)

21.66 * 1.835 * 0.7 (Cwp, water-plane area coefficient) = 27.83 square feet Awp ( water-plane area) per hull

27.83 * 2 (hulls) * 5.333 = ~297 lbs. per inch immersion (PPI)

So for every ~300 lbs. over the designed displacement the boat will sink one inch.

Forget about it!

15-side-view-lift.jpeg.fb4e69bb0ea2bce6fcedfc898f8afa78.jpeg

This would make a lousy powerboat and it wouldn't go 30 knots no matter how much horsepower you used. It would probably go about 10 knots with 10 horsepower, but to go faster it would need very different hull shapes. It probably has real value and it's a beautiful boat with pedigree, so ruining it would be sad.

Honestly that sounds like such a bad idea you HAVE to be trolling us,  right ?

You seem to be describing the most effective way to ruin a neat boat.

7 hours ago, eastern motors said:

How much did you pay for it?

I think 100hp outboards on each hull + trim tabs would be ideal.   Will need some fibreglass work.

It was free from a family friend who purchased it brand new and has owned it the intire time. 

Steal a 100hp jet ski and glass it in underneath about a foot behind the front beam. Keep the rudders but shorten them. Should get you 20+ if you don't add a lot of other weight or windage.  

Try to learn to enjoy sailing.

5 hours ago, Chanceman52 said:

Unfortunately no, this is actually what we plan on doing to it.

You have come to the wrong place for advice re: converting to a powerboat.  But Google is your friend.  There is lots of info about this kind of conversion on the interwebs.

However, if, indeed you are only the second owner and have all of the parts, and got the boat for free, I suggest you flip it and buy a pontoon boat.

7 hours ago, Chanceman52 said:

Unfortunately no, this is actually what we plan on doing to it.

Unfortunately?   Well, you DO actually still have a chance for a 'fortunate' outcome.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you have chosen to spurn sound advice.  (but then, for someone who wants to 'go fast and party', well, keep your bank accounts full and your health insurance paid up.)

You're wrecking an otherwise fine craft.  Don't worry, we'll probably start a Rimas thread or Ugly Powerboat thread or, wait for it,  'Go Fast dreams end in tragedy on the first sea trial' thread.  It's all good entertainment for us do nothings on the inter web.

One last thing, What would your local newspaper be?  (we need to monitor their upcoming incoherent article about your 'adventures'-- it's always good to have a linky when a new thread is started...)

Guys don't get all negative on Chanceman, this thread has a lot of potential, let it mature a bit. I for one want to see what they "do to it" 

There is only one power source that's suits this application perfectly.... the new 7 Marine outboards....

I suggest strengthening the rear and maybe putting 4 of them for speed and maneuverability..

This way you won't over capitalize.

You could also employ Doug Lord and make it foiling..... 

https://www.boatsales.com.au/editorial/details/new-seven-marine-high-horsepower-v8-outboard-engines-111234/

I think a couple jetski engines would be most efficient for your purpose.   What could go wrong?

Wow, I've known of the Seven outboards for a long time but first time I've seen under the hood. I'm amazed that they have the crankshaft horizontal.

Every other outboard maker that makes bigger blocks has the crank vertical. I think Honda used an Accord V-6 as the starting point of one of their engines.

But a small block LS is so durable and bulletproof that not messing with the oil system and keeping the engine horizontal saves you a ton of development cost.

Back to the question - no it's not a hull that would do 30 knots without modification. Probably mid to high teens is about all you can manage.

7 marine engines would be perfect, lol.

Thanks for the tips.

ill make sure to update the group with pics once it’s complete.

Dear Mr. Basketcase,

Can't come to the homing pigeon cage right now because I'm waiting for the Blue Crested Tit I'm watching through my telescope to actually grow some tits. This may take several generations so I may be ornithologically occupied for some time.

Yours fondeley, Chuck.

ps. can't they just tie a dragon to it or something???

Here's the kind of hull shape yer gonna need to go fast and party...but don't despair, you can still go slow and party just as hard.

14 hours ago, basketcase said:

paging mr. darwin to'

Nah, not likely to be a matter of 'selection'.  Mostly a matter of disappointing the accountant.  Of course, Craigslist and SA will benefit.  We'll get his (fast catamaran project for sale' ad from Craigslist to become a part of the Mocking thread.  MMMmmm, more hit count, pleeze....!