Expatriated

Powder coat or paint wheel

I have an Edson diamond wheel that is shedding powder coating. I could touch it up but the leather is starting to fail and so I want to refinish and re-leather the wheel. Any recommendations on powder coat vs paint ? Any one in the NY area who would fit new leather at a reasonable cost or is this easy to do myself?

Paint with LPU

Leather is fairly easy, but takes a long time. You'll do the spoke comes first, and focus on one until you're happy with the result. Then dig in and do the rest. The elk leather kits are worth every penny.

It's a good winter project at home.

2 hours ago, Expatriated said:

I have an Edson diamond wheel that is shedding powder coating. I could touch it up but the leather is starting to fail and so I want to refinish and re-leather the wheel. Any recommendations on powder coat vs paint ? Any one in the NY area who would fit new leather at a reasonable cost or is this easy to do myself?

Paint it and coach whip it like this;

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/50044-low-buck-projects-lets-see-em-76.html#post1051497

Prep using grit blast and imediately coat B4 oxidation is probably more important than which coating. Someone local who does both is probably the coating decision maker along with UV tolerance of your colour preference.

The added diameter and feel of neoprene covers appeals to some.

16 hours ago, Expatriated said:

I have the same wheel that you have - you have hull 260 and mine 266 so about the same age.  The powdercoat on the center hub and spoke near the center was blistered and flaking, and the leather on the outer part was starting to fail.  I ended up stripping off the leather and used acetone and green pad to remove any residual adhesive.  Once that was done I used a Fein tool with 150 grit paper and sanded the blistered areas to bare aluminum.  The wheel was cleaned and then spot primed by spraying a chromate primer made for aluminum outdrives.  When that cured I used white epoxy appliance paint and sprayed the entire wheel with multiple thin coats and let it cure.

For the leather, get the Edson Comfort grip 733CG-42-60-GR.  I setup a dowel in a vice to hold the wheel, making it easier to spin while installing the grip.  The secret for getting the leather to stretch while sewing is to keep it wet so it stretches easier.  Below is a photo of work in progress when I replaced the leather.

Xm9ggcpwHfalKp5RuFAoJM5Yf3bflLes-qUdCXx0

You can very much higher quality elk hide than the leather Edson used to sell. High end covers include pre cut closed cell foam.

A stainless or carbon wheel is also a nice upgrade.

11 hours ago, WHK said:

I have the same wheel that you have - you have hull 260 and mine 266 so about the same age.  The powdercoat on the center hub and spoke near the center was blistered and flaking, and the leather on the outer part was starting to fail.  I ended up stripping off the leather and used acetone and green pad to remove any residual adhesive.  Once that was done I used a Fein tool with 150 grit paper and sanded the blistered areas to bare aluminum.  The wheel was cleaned and then spot primed by spraying a chromate primer made for aluminum outdrives.  When that cured I used white epoxy appliance paint and sprayed the entire wheel with multiple thin coats and let it cure.

For the leather, get the Edson Comfort grip 733CG-42-60-GR.  I setup a dowel in a vice to hold the wheel, making it easier to spin while installing the grip.  The secret for getting the leather to stretch while sewing is to keep it wet so it stretches easier.  Below is a photo of work in progress when I replaced the leather.

Xm9ggcpwHfalKp5RuFAoJM5Yf3bflLes-qUdCXx0

If you are doing it this way it is important to spray a bunch of layers of anti-uv clearcoat on top.  The epoxy appliance paint will not like being in the sun, without the clearcoat it will chalk up in a year or two.  I did my mast this way two years ago and it still looks good.  

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, dash34 said:

If you are doing it this way it is important to spray a bunch of layers of anti-uv clearcoat on top.  The epoxy appliance paint will not like being in the sun, without the clearcoat it will chalk up in a year or two.  I did my mast this way two years ago and it still looks good.  

Good to know.  I haven't had any issues in 2 years but can do a light sand and spray clearcoat to prevent UV degradation.

On 10/27/2018 at 8:50 AM, SloopJonB said:

I had two wheels for my last boat (a larger one for racing, a smaller one with the autopilot installed for cruising).  The smaller one had rope with knots in it like that post, and the larger had Edson's leather.

I preferred the feel of the one with the knots, but you have to use the right line.  It should be pretty small diameter (like 2mm) and soft on the hands.  I'm glad that a PO did the work, because it would have taken forever.

A friend's boat had another wheel done with half hitches, but it was done with a coarse line of around 6mm in diameter and it was a lot less comfortable.

Here is a photo (with it looking kind of dinghy, I think it was about a decade old at this point):

image.thumb.png.4d51f19e9f0fadd07fb5121f736cd187.png

Thanks for all the advice here. I like the feel of the leather wheel so will go with that over the winter - I'll check out the cost of re-powder coating but will probably go the paint route.

On 10/28/2018 at 9:32 AM, steele said:

Boat Leather is a good source for recovering, http://boatleather.com/product/boatleather-wheel-covers/. The owner is a local sailor.

I have the same wheel on j109 hull 254.  We went the powder coat route and rewraped with leather from Boat Leather as noted above.  Boat Leather makes a beautiful product.   Really fun winter project.   The powder coat cost for strip, prime, paint was about $150 and the leather system with everything needed was $370.  2 years old and holding up great.  

4EB2B4C9-770E-46BB-8D73-0064A155B23D.jpeg

52B17296-C1DD-4304-85B1-4D6F8A4D6D15.jpeg

+1 Boatleather,   did my wheel watching Netflix,  on a dowel between two chairs,  took me about 8 hours in total....  nice when done, get the padding for under the leather and remember to start at the top of the wheel so you put the black piece over the join.   Have fun