Sign in to follow this  
JasonSeibert

Schock 40 - shockingly easy and fun.

Schock 40 "Gamble" at the start of the Harvest Moon RegattaSome of you may know that I picked up hull #6 - (Black Pearl) and renamed her "Gamble." The name seemed fitting. Why would I buy a boat, in pieces, sitting on a trailer in Cleveland, Ohio? A boat with a dubious history of keel failure after keel failure? Why would I buy a boat that EVERYONE said I shouldn't? Have you met me? This was right up my alley. 

I started the long drive from Cleveland to Kemah, TX at the beginning of summer and ran into problem after problem with nearly every system. However, the ONE thing that wasn't an issue - the keel welds, and for that I am grateful. Every system, every line, every connection, every attachment was inspected, repaired, serviced and/or replaced. I only had a few months to get the boat ready for what was her shakedown cruise - the Harvest Moon Regatta that just finished up this weekend.

There were six of us on the boat, and, truly, the first time it was fully rigged and sailed was the 11.5 miles to the start of the race. Again, "Gamble" is an appropriate name.

So, here's my review of the boat, having sailed it 150 miles offshore in some of the most interesting and challenging conditions I've come across. The boat loves to just go. She does. In fact - as another owner told me, "Don't worry about putting up a ton of real estate - you won't need it to make it go - just keep it flat and she will fly." So that was my theme. Everyone was flying kites on a beam reach at the start - not us - just a jib and a mainsail. We kept the boat flat, in control, and smooth. We watched round up after round up, and even a kite explode, and we just kept her moving forward. 

The forward and aft rudders are amazingly balanced and smooth. Fingertip response and positive control if you need to honk on it. In a slightly disturbed sea-state, she glided across the waves with little to know impact. With the ballast bulb fully canted, it seemed as though the attachment acted as a horizontal stabilizer - smoothing out the the normal tendency of the boat to want to bounce a bit in the water. It was comfortable, fast, light on the helm, and fun. After about 35 miles into the 150 mile race, we caught the fleet that started an hour ahead of us, but for some reason I can't explain, we just couldn't get away from a Hansa 455. I'm not sure how a boat PHRF rated to 111 was keeping up with a Schock 40 rated -19, but that was happening. To finally shake her lose, I decided to call for the A1, set the vang, and send it. The boat nearly jumped out of the water and got up on plane very quickly. Holy cow. First spin launch on the boat, at night, in a race, with a crew that had never been on the boat either - "Gamble." We finally put some distance on the the fleet, but we couldn't hold the line we needed to. Ultimately, when the wind shut down instead of clocking, it cost us the race, but IT WAS A LOT OF FUN!!!

If you have the chance, if you have a moment - ever - to get on a Schock 40, I strongly encourage you to jump on board. Leave all concepts of what you think a racing boat should be, or what other boats are like, or how other boats respond... just convince yourself that you need to be open to having fun, and let the boat do the work - it really is that easy.

• Like 3

I don’t think this will help it sell mate. I think you are stuck with it.

• Like 4
  • Downvote 1

Jason, I always wanted to sail Red Herring, and when the Schock came along I was Jazzed.  Glad that you worked the kinks out and are enjoying her.

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Ha! That was pretty great!

Sounds like an awesome ride Jason, congratulations!

Interesting to hear the cant smoothed out the ride, I instinctively thought it would be a stiffer and more aggressive motion. 

Cheers!

SB

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

Surely this one needs to be on Hoppy's list as well?

1 hour ago, squiby said:

Perhaps because you've had one too many Concussions... ;)

Will I see you in Bermuda this June? Gonna be ready for solo offshore in this racehorse?

Going to give it my best effort to be there. Going to spend the winter getting to know her a bit better. 

1 hour ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Surely this one needs to be on Hoppy's list as well?

There is one for sale up here. After his Jeanneau he may wonder why the water is rushing down the side of the boat so fast though!

• Like 1

Can't be on Hoppy's list,  it is in Queensland.   There is only a single day of delivery window and it has already gone for this decade.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DtM said:

Can't be on Hoppy's list,  it is in Queensland.   There is only a single day of delivery window and it has already gone for this decade.

God damn I am such an idiot!!!

Price includes trailer, Brisbane to Melbourne in 2 or 3 days?

38 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

Whoever told you that you wouldn't be going faster with a kite up in the photo you posted was boldface lying to you. 

I agree - we would have been going faster, but in the wrong direction!

13 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Sounds like a sales pitch to me...! 

Just trying to kill the other thread;)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Apparent Lee said:

More problems than a second hand lawn mower.

Yes, there were many problems with her. These boats have to be tended and treated like a grand prix boat. It is not a J-Boat. They require constant attention.

On 10/29/2018 at 6:19 AM, JasonSeibert said:

I agree - we would have been going faster, but in the wrong direction!

do you wear gloves even in light air?

22 hours ago, jackolantern said:

Is it me or does the rig look like its about to go along with that kite? Yikes

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Geronimo said:

lol. funny story, that one. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mustang__1 said:

lol. funny story, that one. 

Aw man! C'mon Mustang, you can't do that, that not fair!

Fess up!

Edit: The forrard bend looks a bit like mine actually when down wind in a blow. Eek.

Looks to be a fun ride.....

6 hours ago, Geronimo said:

Reminds me of watching Secret Squirrel blow out the top of their rig in a practice race pre BBS.   

6 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

Thanks BB.

it got worse. When they finally got a mast delivered, to replace the one that was now multiple masts.... it didn't fit in the partners. All sorted now and i raced on it on a vineyard race a few years ago. fun design, wet boat. 

Looks like a really fun boat that doesn't need a huge crew - the one over in the classified ads seems like a bargain at 25K - I wish I had water depth down here.

Just finished up the Nassau Cup with a crew of 5. We are still learning the boat. Probably should have finished right with the TP52s, but did correct out over the three of them. Next week's race, with all the data we have now on the boat and how she rides, should allow us to push her a bit harder. Our top speed in the Nassau Cup was 17.3kts. What a ride!

79439145-MIA-NAS+2018-9525.jpg

Anyone have any input on how these sail in rougher weather? These have always interested me for some weird reason.

Watch the headfoil/stay which is already really slack go even more so as the puffs hit that rig. Not surprising that rig came down...

On 12/21/2018 at 1:37 AM, ReachorDie said:

Anyone have any input on how these sail in rougher weather? These have always interested me for some weird reason.

They're might be a Shcok 40 for sale in Aus soon if my inebriated brain cells heard the owner correctly, price sounded very reasonable.   

• Like 1