JdP

J80 125% Genoa

My J80 is equipped with Genoa tracks for a 155% Genoa, which I don't use. I am in the market for a new jib, considering getting a 125% Genoa so as to avoid a PHRF penalty.  I only sail in PHRF races on Monterey Bay. Conditions vary from light to very breezy in choppy conditions. In one design format, the boat does not do well in light conditions, hence my consideration of getting a 125. Does anyone have experience sailing with a 125% Genoa? I am concerned that the boat will not point as well.  Thank you

A J80 that we would beat back in the day showed up at WIRW sporting a 129% jib which rated the same as our class jib and promptly kicked our behinds. In winds 10 or less, we could not compete with them upwind. They were every bit as high as us, but faster. If PHRF is your game, a 125 is a good move, especially since your cockpit is already boogered up. Might want to consider floating leads to go with it.

We had 2 J-80’s at our club on Lake Michigan where average summer conditions range from 5-18 kts.  Both were equipped with 155% Genoa, and in less than 10 kts they were very fast upwind.  

If you had a well-cut 125%, I would imagine that it would give you the ability to point very well while still having the punch to get through the chop.  Do it.  You won’t regret it.

I’ll second what DCBsheb just said. I raced in that same fleet on a B-25,  so frequently found ourselves fighting those 80’s to hold a lane. They didn’t suffer at all in pointing ability with the 155’s up. Oddly, it wasn’t til we were all on 105 %’s that we could out point them.