Dex Sawash

Laser puncture wound

A neighbor gave me a Laser that a limb fell on. An otherwise nice and complete 1986 boat on a Kitty Hawk trailer. Decks seem good at cockpit.  

The brown rectangle around crack is duct tape residue. The 18" long crack is all the way through. 

Any tips other than "drop it off at the tip, mate"?

I'll be using epoxy, can't use polyester in my attached garage. Don't care about cosmetics, wont be gelcoating it or making new anti-skid surface, just a coat of white krylon appliance epoxy spray over the patch.

Do I need to use foam core? What kind of foam?

20181029-172326.jpg

I thought this would be a lot cooler problem from the title.

You should burn a hole in it with a laser.

Real Answer

Cut out the damage and see what it was made with first. Then replace like for like. Agreed on the anti-skid texture, if it becomes a problem you can add non-skid whatever later.

Stupid Answer

You'll need sika, a sheet of checker plate aluminium and some screws. Apply in that order.

Assume you've checked Gouv's website (schroth FG).

If the boat is reasonably close to class weight and the deck taps OK otherwise, your plan sounds fine.  I'd work a bit more layup fore and aft (abeam of) of the mast step with a really good beveled bonding surface to the old work.

If the rest of the boat is heavy and funky, it might be time for a better hull.

Will the "white Krylon appliance epoxy" hold up to UV?  Appliances are mostly indoors out of the sun.  We patched some dings in our deck with epoxy filler once and ended up having to paint the whole thing to make it moderately presentable.

I would use blue urethane foam, it cuts cleanly with a bread knife and sands easily MASK!

Get that broken up foam out and fit new. Using three or four pieces is OK. Put some coarse sandpaper in the bottom of the hole and work the foam with short strokes to get a reasonable fit. I used epoxy thickened with a lot of microballons to attach the foam. Today I would try Gorilla glue. 

Glass over the top and finish with auto rattle can paint 

On 10/29/2018 at 7:14 PM, Dex Sawash said:

A neighbor gave me a Laser that a limb fell on. An otherwise nice and complete 1986 boat on a Kitty Hawk trailer. Decks seem good at cockpit.  

The brown rectangle around crack is duct tape residue. The 18" long crack is all the way through. 

Any tips other than "drop it off at the tip, mate"?

I'll be using epoxy, can't use polyester in my attached garage. Don't care about cosmetics, wont be gelcoating it or making new anti-skid surface, just a coat of white krylon appliance epoxy spray over the patch.

Do I need to use foam core? What kind of foam?

20181029-172326.jpg

Quick and dirty:

Get the tape off first(rapid remover, acetone wash etc).  Cut out the cracked area in a oval or a square whatever's easiest.  Grind the bottom of the hole so you get a good bond,  heat gun the bottom of the cavity.  Lay in whatever the same thickness of glass was on the underneath cracked area.  Don't bevel edges of the top yet.  Without worrying about the exact fit height-wise on the foam, leave a 1/8-1/4ish gap around the new foam to old.  Bed new foam in place in a soupy filler mix with some reinforcing fibers(not too stiff) so it squishes up all around.  Add weight on top of the new foam.  Work extra filler into the gap and work it down with a popsicle stick.  Let it kick with a heat lamp or a heater blowing on it.  Come back, grind the bevel and the foam down at the same time so it follows the hull shape and is nice and true.  Glass up with new glass, skim coat it with sanding filler, sand it, paint it.  I'd shoot a primer on if you've got a can around then hit it with white paint.  Should be about a 4-6 hour job. 

I don't know if they use it for building insulation in the USA but they do in the UK. I used to build model aircraft using this stuff and while I could buy it from the supplier they had a ridiculous minimum amount.

So I would stop by a building site and go dumpster diving for offcuts and would often find a whole but damaged 8 x 4 sheet which would keep me going for a year. 

BTW it does come in a variety of colors I have used blue mostly but have seen pink and green. Same stuff I think but may be different densities. 

Given the age of the boat.  Why not jam a bit of ply on the back.   Cut enough of a slot to get ply into hull.  Is string or screws to hold in place while glue sets.   Grind back deck area.   Glass matt and resin, go sailing till it breaks for good 

May be consider an inspection hatch at one end to give yourself less work?