Tyson0317

Where to get a carbon spinnaker pole?

After a weekend series crewing on the SYC Grand Prix Regatta with one of the most competitive boats around, I came to a clear decision that I want to convert my J/35 to a carbon pole with an end-for-end setup.

The question for you guys is, where would be a good place to get "a deal" on one? I do not suppose that there is much of a used market for these things... Fisheries Supply in Seattle has been my destination for that kind of stuff, but I might need a decent sedative before going in to get a bid. 

Anything I should look for? Ask for? Recommendations appreciated.

I have a 14' by 3" end for end Carbon pole, lightly used I let go for $600

PM Sent

That's a pretty good deal. I paid twice that for a 12 foot one from Forespar.

25 minutes ago, crankcall said:

If I had a carbon tube, how are the ends fastened in?

Pot them into a high density epoxy,  and two screws. 

1 hour ago, crankcall said:

Make sure it's strong enough before you attach permanent (epoxied) fittings.  You don't want Great Red Shark's Megabyte mast problems:

Usually with a delrin bushing that fits between the end and the tube, and screws that hold it all together. 

$600 is a very good deal, I just had to replace our carbon pole. I got it through Ballard Sails who looked at C-Tech, Forespar, and finally ordered from Forte.  Isn't 14' about 6" too short for a J/35 though?

I've done end for end and dip poles on boats our size and prefer dip, but in light conditions end for end is faster and gets one crew off of the bow.  

46 minutes ago, PaulK said:

Make sure it's strong enough before you attach permanent (epoxied) fittings.  You don't want Great Red Shark's Megabyte mast problems:

Theres a difference between potting and bonding. 

1 hour ago, basketcase said:

Theres a difference between potting and bonding. 

Yes, but you also want a spar that is strong enough to take the loads without breaking.  The schedule or thickness of the tube wall and the diameter of the tube make a difference.  Something that might work well for a carbon fiber I14 mast would probably not make a good spinnaker pole for a J/35.  This was in response to Crankcall's question about a non-specified "carbon tube". 

I got my J/35 pole from Forte before they moved from New Bedford and converted to endo's years ago. I can't tell you how many people are amazed at how easy it is.

Do it.

2 hours ago, PaulK said:

Yes, but you also want a spar that is strong enough to take the loads without breaking.  The schedule or thickness of the tube wall and the diameter of the tube make a difference.  Something that might work well for a carbon fiber I14 mast would probably not make a good spinnaker pole for a J/35.  This was in response to Crankcall's question about a non-specified "carbon tube". 

True

Get a quote from the guy whose boat you sailed on last weekend...he knows a thing or two...

Not the cheapest option - but Forespar just did a 3"diameter pole for my Olson 911s.  

It is really nice and light.   Contact:

Randall Risvold
Forespar
sts@forespar.com
ph. 949 858 8820

Alex is working up a quote for me now. 

Fisheries is working on it as well. Looks like there is a long delay to have the pole cut and assembled, but they are able to get me a 3.5" 16ft carbon stick and ends for $2500, delivered in time for RTC. F'n expensive!! But I am tempted... I'd need to learn how to cut Carbon Fiber and epoxy on the ends myself. And the guy above with the $600 stick hasn't returned my PM. 

Fisheries rep said that the cutoff for a 3" tube is at 14ft. Given that mine needs to be a bit longer, they insisted on the 3.5" version. 

Forte Composites shows a 3" pole suitable for a J/35 so its says on thier website, 15' max, $1600.00 

How long should a J35 pole be?

Forte Composites shows a 3" pole suitable for a J/35 so its says on thier website, 15' max, $1600.00 

hey mate...... you are in toronto. is there no one there doing tubes? maybe...... https://www.patersoncomposites.ca/

2 minutes ago, CriticalPath said:

Used to be a place in TO but don't think they're making 'em anymore - the way I heard it they ran outta anchor points...

1347031585_110312PS.CPPole_01.thumb.jpg.f7d403249ecf508b82cd5f2261738dd6.jpg

1988202389_110312PS.CPPole_03.thumb.jpg.9ea807cffa8793ef2af38915aac35853.jpg

and the principals moved. paterson is still there, and do good work.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, basketcase said:

hey mate...... you are in toronto. is there no one there doing tubes? maybe...... https://www.patersoncomposites.ca/

see that's just sad, world class facility 45 mins from my house. I've never heard of them, not that I'm connected to this part of industry at all.  Last winter we put an 8" x 6ft sprit on a boat in Mississauga , parts came from Forte, I'll ask the guys in the shop about Paterson, they have been building boats for 40? years, must know about them.

I'll certainly contact them for the tube project I'm playing with right now. Canadian dollars has to be better.

19 minutes ago, crankcall said:

see that's just sad, world class facility 45 mins from my house. I've never heard of them, not that I'm connected to this part of industry at all.  Last winter we put an 8" x 6ft sprit on a boat in Mississauga , parts came from Forte, I'll ask the guys in the shop about Paterson, they have been building boats for 40? years, must know about them.

I'll certainly contact them for the tube project I'm playing with right now. Canadian dollars has to be better.

They did Eaton's c class boats.

17 minutes ago, crankcall said:

There's also Clear Air Carbon Fibre http://clearaircarbonfiber.com/.  Even with the $ exchange, I doubt that either Paterson or Rossi would be more economical than sourcing a Forespar, Forte, or Selden unit from APS or MPS or Defender...

Cheers!

1 hour ago, CriticalPath said:

There's also Clear Air Carbon Fibre http://clearaircarbonfiber.com/.  Even with the $ exchange, I doubt that either Paterson or Rossi would be more economical than sourcing a Forespar, Forte, or Selden unit from APS or MPS or Defender...

Cheers!

Maybe not.... but theres a difference in shipping. Ups will put it in your bum to ship a 14 foot tube. Buying from Patterson,  and thats who i would go with, you can put it on the roof of your car.

15 hours ago, crankcall said:

J on a J/35 is 14'10".  My boat's J is slightly shorter, but very similar setup.

You should also be able to reuse one end of your prior pole.  Forespar ends don't seem to change much over the years, so you can probably find a matching one for the other side.  It's a lot of work to do in a week though (rig new pole, re-rig the mast car).

On 10/30/2018 at 1:41 AM, Tyson0317 said:

After a weekend series crewing on the SYC Grand Prix Regatta with one of the most competitive boats around, I came to a clear decision that I want to convert my J/35 to a carbon pole with an end-for-end setup.

The question for you guys is, where would be a good place to get "a deal" on one? I do not suppose that there is much of a used market for these things... Fisheries Supply in Seattle has been my destination for that kind of stuff, but I might need a decent sedative before going in to get a bid. 

Anything I should look for? Ask for? Recommendations appreciated.

We've got a J-35 specific spin pole mould   (female molded, autoclave cured).

www.fastcomposites.ca/site/marine/foils-a-z/j-boats/         scroll down to J-35

Cheers

Phil.

35 minutes ago, Foilman said:

We've got a J-35 specific spin pole mould   (female molded, autoclave cured).

www.fastcomposites.ca/site/marine/foils-a-z/j-boats/         scroll down to J-35

Cheers

Phil.

Nice... how much? 

1 hour ago, basketcase said:

Nice... how much? 

PM sent

Foilman, can you send me a PM also? I emailed you guys yesterday. Still no reply :-)

Actually email would be preferred to PM.