honda-ridgeline-overland-project-17.jpg?

The Honda Ridgeline is probably the very last overland base vehicle choice among all American-market pickup trucks. But that hasn't dissuaded Honda from developing the Ridgeline Overland Project, a SEMA show truck that will lead to a lineup of available off-road accessories.   Read more

I bet my POS, 293K mile suby has been more places and done more shit than 99pct of those things ever made.

My favorite picture of a Ridgeline was the one that Ben posted that had met up with a large truck.

10 hours ago, bmiller said:

I bet my POS, 293K mile suby has been more places and done more shit than 99pct of those things ever made.

Cool company. I had a Subaru Impreza, 1987 I think, front wheel drive, with that incredible Fuji Heavy Industries torque management. I drove that little gal over Rabbit Ear's pass many times, never a problem in the snow, even when big ol' 4WDs were slid out into the embankments.

But as good as that car was, the Achilles Heel of the horizontally-opposed engine had a broken timing belt at 67.000 miles, the valves bent like spaghetti because of the interference, and the car was totaled.

One interesting thing about Subaru, they're one of the only car companies to actively market to lesbians ... Lesbaru.

https://medium.com/re-write/lesbaru-i-mean-subaru-c2291dfbe333

All BS aside, why not a Ridgeline?  Lots of folks need moderate utility and a go anywhere, haul industrial equipment, etc. truck isn't a great option. 

I'm approaching the time when I need to replace my second  Lexus RX.  At 171K miles, I can see the end of its life but its probable good for another couple of years.  I need a utility vehicle of some sort with typical boat stuff, yard stuff etc. to carry.  Live on 4 acres so lots of brush, mulch, some stone and the rest. Not off grid but close enough to the edge that I haul my own trash/recycling and need (want) AWD.   A couple of trailerable boats and need at least 3,500 lb towing and up to 5 or 6 would be handy.  Mid sized Lexus SUV plus a utility trailer has done fine and served double duty as "executive transport" for customers and partners and I have access to heavier truck for outsized cargo and heavy towing needs.   

I'll be retiring for the 3rd (and hopefully final) time in 3-4 years so have started looking around for the next vehicle.  Friend has a 4X4 F-150 crew cab that I occasionally borrow and its a nice truck but more truck than I need on a daily basis and hard on gas all the time.  By all reports, the Ridgeline is Honda dependable, Accord comfortable inside, tows 5,000 lbs and decent AWD performance for mid-Atlantic winters and has a useful bed with reasonable load capacity.  An employee bought one about 5 years ago and once he got over the rest of us giving him shit over it, he claims it's the perfect medium duty utility truck for his needs.  

So, why not a vehicle that fits between the medium size SUVs and "real trucks"?  

23 hours ago, Point Break said:

You are in a trolling mood these days......................:lol:.

Yeah. Just funin. Shoulda left out the tatts and focused on that upside down fork use.

Horses for courses. My need for a diesel HD is declining and I look forward to the time when I don't need E-rated tires, 3 gallons of synthetic diesel oil, sets of rotors and pads that weigh nearly as much as I do and the constant whine of a giant turbo that thinks it's an engine on a 737.

I'll still need a pickup but I'm looking forward to getting into a 1/2 ton or less. I'd love to get into a Honda or Subaru but sometimes I need more than they can do. That may change if I move and don't have to do farm shit.

4 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

All BS aside, why not a Ridgeline?  Lots of folks need moderate utility and a go anywhere, haul industrial equipment, etc. truck isn't a great option. 

I'm approaching the time when I need to replace my second  Lexus RX.  At 171K miles, I can see the end of its life but its probable good for another couple of years.  I need a utility vehicle of some sort with typical boat stuff, yard stuff etc. to carry.  Live on 4 acres so lots of brush, mulch, some stone and the rest. Not off grid but close enough to the edge that I haul my own trash/recycling and need (want) AWD.   A couple of trailerable boats and need at least 3,500 lb towing and up to 5 or 6 would be handy.  Mid sized Lexus SUV plus a utility trailer has done fine and served double duty as "executive transport" for customers and partners and I have access to heavier truck for outsized cargo and heavy towing needs.   

I'll be retiring for the 3rd (and hopefully final) time in 3-4 years so have started looking around for the next vehicle.  Friend has a 4X4 F-150 crew cab that I occasionally borrow and its a nice truck but more truck than I need on a daily basis and hard on gas all the time.  By all reports, the Ridgeline is Honda dependable, Accord comfortable inside, tows 5,000 lbs and decent AWD performance for mid-Atlantic winters and has a useful bed with reasonable load capacity.  An employee bought one about 5 years ago and once he got over the rest of us giving him shit over it, he claims it's the perfect medium duty utility truck for his needs.  

So, why not a vehicle that fits between the medium size SUVs and "real trucks"?  

FWIW, I've known two Ridgeline owners who fit this description and they both loved their Ridgelines. That said, I think a minivan is more practical as both a people and cargo hauler unless you frequently need to haul gravel, dirt, or manure.

The Honda folks had some fun with that project.

3 hours ago, IStream said:

FWIW, I've known two Ridgeline owners who fit this description and they both loved their Ridgelines. That said, I think a minivan is more practical as both a people and cargo hauler unless you frequently need to haul gravel, dirt, or manure.

Done and still have a minivan as one of our 5 local vehicles (son lives across town and keeps one of his vehicles here). Only Toyota builds an AWD minivan and that comes with run flats that last 15k miles or less.  It has been OK but not as reliable and trouble free as I had expected. Not the tow capacity or confidence I’m looking for. I’ll either get another mid sized SUV or a pickup of some variety. 

The current Sienna AWD is the wife’s all weather drive and it’s resale is less than it’s worth in the garage as a beater van. It is next to be replaced, probably with a Legacy or similar AWD sedan. Her S2000 is her fun car. 

I am on my second Ford Expedition FWD. The last one and this one have been trouble free. Very comfy smooth ride with the extended wheelbase. Seats 7 adults really comfy and 8 with a little squeeze by putting 3 instead of 2 in the 3rd row power seats. Tows 5K. Put both sets of rear seats down and a sheet of plywood fits with room to spare. I’ll buy another when it’s time. 

53 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I am on my second Ford Expedition FWD. The last one and this one have been trouble free. Very comfy smooth ride with the extended wheelbase. Seats 7 adults really comfy and 8 with a little squeeze by putting 3 instead of 2 in the 3rd row power seats. Tows 5K. Put both sets of rear seats down and a sheet of plywood fits with room to spare. I’ll buy another when it’s time. 

Just don’t have the desire to drive anything that big on a daily basis. Rented an Edge for a week once and was pretty impressed. Not as luxurious as the Lexus but plenty competent. That said, my last Ford (exploder) was a POS, although admittedly some years ago. Spent more on unscheduled repairs in the 10,000 Miles I kept it after the warranty expired than I did on an accord that I drove for 135K miles. My friend puts a lot of miles on his f-150 and trades it for another one every 3-4 years. I’d call his experience with reliability no better than average but he likes how they drive and he fits in it comfortably at 6’4” and pushing 300 lbs. if it doesn’t have a bed suitable for a bucket of mulch, soil or gravel, I’ll go with another mid sized SUV. 

4 hours ago, austin1972 said:

Horses for courses. My need for a diesel HD is declining and I look forward to the time when I don't need E-rated tires, 3 gallons of synthetic diesel oil, sets of rotors and pads that weigh nearly as much as I do and the constant whine of a giant turbo that thinks it's an engine on a 737.

I'll still need a pickup but I'm looking forward to getting into a 1/2 ton or less. I'd love to get into a Honda or Subaru but sometimes I need more than they can do. That may change if I move and don't have to do farm shit.

I amaze myself with the amount of shit I've been able to haul in a Suby. Tons, I mean tons of construction stuff, material tools equipment you name it. 

Most recently I had to haul two deer carcasses out to feed the coyotes. Yep, tossed them in the back of the suby because the truck still a camper loaded from a road trip. Only problem was the tarp had a couple tears and got some blood all over the back. 

Yep, my legacy truly is a zombie. It will....... not....... die. Lord knows I've tried. 293K, original clutch and head gaskets. Multiple collisions with hooved animals and other vehicles. I seriously want to see it turn over one more time so its going to get a timing belt this week, only the second one.

39 minutes ago, bmiller said:

I amaze myself with the amount of shit I've been able to haul in a Suby. Tons, I mean tons of construction stuff, material tools equipment you name it. 

Most recently I had to haul two deer carcasses out to feed the coyotes. Yep, tossed them in the back of the suby because the truck still a camper loaded from a road trip. Only problem was the tarp had a couple tears and got some blood all over the back. 

Yep, my legacy truly is a zombie. It will....... not....... die. Lord knows I've tried. 293K, original clutch and head gaskets. Multiple collisions with hooved animals and other vehicles. I seriously want to see it turn over one more time so its going to get a timing belt this week, only the second one.

Are you a lesbian?

1 hour ago, bmiller said:

Natures Miracle and some Iron Out should clean that up. Maybe some Oxy Kick too. Black interiors are the best fix.

You live in CO. I think it's obligatory to own a Subaru..Do they even give you a drivers license if you don't have at least one?

We'll see what the future holds for me since MI and/or WA seem to be in my future and the farm will be a thing of the past.

The Subaru is the official animal of Washington State. Ever since all the predators got killed off, they've been running rampant. We need a good culling.

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

Are you a lesbian?

Aren't we all?

46 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

Natures Miracle and some Iron Out should clean that up. Maybe some Oxy Kick too. Black interiors are the best fix.

You live in CO. I think it's obligatory to own a Subaru..Do they even give you a drivers license if you don't have at least one?

We'll see what the future holds for me since MI and/or WA seem to be in my future and the farm will be a thing of the past.

Thanks, I'll try that. It's a little musky in there.

38 minutes ago, IStream said:

The Subaru is the official animal of Washington State. Ever since all the predators got killed off, they've been running rampant. We need a good culling.

It's a well known fact that the only form of individuality in Boulder is the color of your Subaru.

But shit they are awful in the mountains.  Every frigging time there is a back up going uphill there are guaranteed to be at least 1 subaru in the mix.  We came down 285 from Crestone last month and my god.....  they have no balls... (pun intended);)

1 hour ago, bmiller said:

Loved my old Suby. It ran forever. Gave it to one of my kids. They got t boned by a drunk chick. Totaled suby, they (including 1st grandchild) were not hurt. Good truck. 

I really don't get it...  Why the hate on the ridgeline and the Ru

I like lesbians, and I like Subarus.  Not all, but most...

Never owned a Ridgeline, but is it really different than a Avalanche?   Seems quite practical to me.  Honda reliability and the ability to use a bed for hauling.

I currently use a small trailer on a weekly basis, and honestly it is a bit of a PIA.

No hatred here for either lesbians or Subarus. I find them (the Subarus) boring but I can see their appeal. Then again, I'm a big fan of minivans and station wagons so I'm a bit of an outlier, transport-wise.

1 hour ago, IStream said:

No hatred here for either lesbians or Subarus. I find them (the Subarus) boring but I can see their appeal. Then again, I'm a big fan of minivans and station wagons so I'm a bit of an outlier, transport-wise.

Poor Swan70 suffered here...

Even though they’re fun to pick on, I actually like the Ridgeline. I looked into one when the new model came out, but just couldn’t justify the price. Once the 3 year leases start coming up for sale, there’s a good chance I’ll get one. I just don’t need a full size truck, and the Ridgeline does have a few unique features I like. 

Subaru is going into production with a truck for the Mexican American market!

Subaroo.jpg

• Like 1

You never fail to disappoint, Bob.

I’m sure it’s a fine truck....good as any and better than some. I just think it’s really ugly.......

2 hours ago, Point Break said:

I’m sure it’s a fine truck....good as any and better than some. I just think it’s really ugly.......

I agree there. They tried so hard to make it look less trucklet and more truck, it just looks off. 

I try to tell myself, if I’m driving it, I don’t have to look at it. 

If you put a shell on it, it looks pretty good. Without it, it looks like a caricature of an El Camino to me. Then again, I owned and loved a Honda Element, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

On 10/31/2018 at 7:39 PM, shaggy said:

But shit they are awful in the mountains.  Every frigging time there is a back up going uphill there are guaranteed to be at least 1 subaru in the mix.  We came down 285 from Crestone last month and my god.....  they have no balls... (pun intended);)

Until it starts to snow. Then my little 2.5ltr 5speed carpet munching zombie blows right by all the giant penis extensions. (Must be a pun in there somewhere)

If anyone really cares about how great the Ridgeline is, go to PA and start a thread bashing them. The only machine far superior is the F35.  Trust me.  Don't do it here or Dr. Jack Malarkey Nosbest might find out there are other forums. 

19 hours ago, bmiller said:

Until it starts to snow. Then my little 2.5ltr 5speed carpet munching zombie blows right by all the giant penis extensions. (Must be a pun in there somewhere)

Well my friend, that depends on the carpet muncher driving the damn thing doesn't it??

4 hours ago, shaggy said:

Well my friend, that depends on the carpet muncher driving the damn thing doesn't it??

Absolutely! But that can be said about anything. Cars, truck, boats, skis, surfboards.........

On 11/1/2018 at 11:08 AM, Windward said:

I really don't get it...  Why the hate on the ridgeline and the Ru

I like lesbians, and I like Subarus.  Not all, but most...

Never owned a Ridgeline, but is it really different than a Avalanche?   Seems quite practical to me.  Honda reliability and the ability to use a bed for hauling.

I currently use a small trailer on a weekly basis, and honestly it is a bit of a PIA.

Hondas made in Japan have that legendary build quality, and reliability. The big Hondas made in Alabama though, like the Ridgeline and the Pilot, they're not the same kind of Hondas. They still have tight quality control, but it seems that a lot of design choices are dictated by the limitations of building in the USA. I guess the supply chain can't be as rigidly controlled in Japan maybe? My wife's Honda Pilot has been reasonably reliable, but she's been stranded three different times when the Alternator shit the bed, three separate times, in about 150,000 miles. The design decision for some reason was to bolt the alternator too close to the engine block, causing problems with heat management in the alternator's electronics. I met someone at the dealership who had so many problems with the transmission in his U.S. Honda that he said he was getting an lawyer to have the dealership take back the vehicle without penalty.

Still, they're fairly reliable for what they are, I guess.

I realized the marketing niche of the Ridgline the other day, I figured it out ...

There are two kinds of pickup trucks ... work trucks and business trucks. Work trucks have to be decent, good suspension, built well, they need to move supplies and equipment and do work. These trucks tend to be expensive when new, and affordable -- but still capable -- when they get old and beat up.

But business trucks need to be able to carry clients to job sites, or carry prospective buyers to commercial or residential sites. The people who buy these need to have a vehicle that doesn't turn off their prospective buyers or business contacts. The choice of vehicle depends on the location. So in Central Florida or L.A., a Tesla or a BMW might be good. But in Colorado or Minnesota, where there is a chance that the vehicle may need to blast through some unexpected snow or a tight condition, SUVs and trucks are the rule. That SUV or truck has to have the leather interior, the dual-zone climate controls, the tasteful lighting, the elegant fixturing.

So what pickup trucks are good for that role? The Honda Ridgeline is good, it has a soft drive, and moves through the roads very much like a car. And you can get that too on some top-of-the-line real trucks, like the F-150 King Ranch, the Titan Platinum Reserve, or the Ram Tungsten Megacab. But these are regular work trucks that are upgraded to be luxury trucks. So they start with the capable frames, engines and transmissions and then tweak the shit out of them to be comfortable and luxurious.

The problem with those are is that they are very expensive, $60,000 and up in some cases.

But for the person who wants a business truck at a lower price, the Ridgeline seems to have been built to fit that ideal. It has that cheaper unibody construction, a cheaper V-6 engine, a less capable suspension, a transmission that isn't really as bulletproof as say the Tundra's active monitor 6 speed auto with the torque management and conversion.

So that's the story behind the Ridgeline I think ... you can get a somewhat less capable trucklet which will do well in snow and some bad conditions, and carry your clients with some style. And you can do this for a $500/month payment rather than a $1000/month payment with the actual work trucks that have been upgraded to luxury machines.

But here's the big difference ... eventually, that high end luxury work truck will get dinged up, the leather will get ripped, it will age and maybe even rust a bit, and at that point, that high end luxury truck will be just as capable as any work truck out there. Your truck investment will be good for years, you'll have that truck until your death, most likely. But when the Ridgeline starts getting a little long in the tooth, a little shopworn, its capabilities as a business truck will decay, and it won't really have the deep bench of engineering to be much of a work truck. There is a reason why you see so many beat-up Tundras, Rams, Fords and Chevys on the road that are jammed with filthy equipment and dirty guys, it's beecause they do they job for which they were designed, and they do it for decades. But you won't see too many 2003-era Chevy Avalanches, or 2005-era Pilots. They tend to lose sufficient value that they end up Mexico and Latin America, where they are kind of good enough.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2018 at 9:52 PM, IStream said:

If you put a shell on it, it looks pretty good. Without it, it looks like a caricature of an El Camino to me. Then again, I owned and loved a Honda Element, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

That was an incredibly well-designed and well-executed vehicle.

On 11/2/2018 at 5:16 AM, bmiller said:

It's not just the 4WD, even my old FWD Subaru handled the snow well. It's more about incredibly well-thought torque management. Subaru accomplishes great torque management with good engineering and good mechanics. Moving heavy equipment around snow is less about power and weight, and more about really good torque management, it needs to come on gently, react to the wheel spin, taper off as needed.

Other makers try to match that torque management with electronics, like BMW, but they'll never do what a Subaru does because it's an add-on kludge, not a ground-up design. And that torque management is legendary in the rocks too. Never have a doubt what Fuji Heavy Industries accomplished with that Suby drivetrain ...

Not bad for a stock ride. Imagine if he tricked it out a little!

52 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Not bad for a stock ride. Imagine if he tricked it out a little!

Exactly...  My Loyale could have done that no problem.  Wink.     I really liked that car.  Pretty gutless, but so efficient.  Could sleep in the back and haul a ton of windsurf gear.  Rio Vista camping, Tahoe all with no complaints.

And in other video "news".  

3 hours ago, Windward said:

Exactly...  My Loyale could have done that no problem.  Wink.     I really liked that car. Pretty gutless, but so efficient.  Could sleep in the back and haul a ton of windsurf gear.  Rio Vista camping, Tahoe all with no complaints.

And in other video "news".  

They seem gutless because of that insanely effective torque management. So yeah, that horizontally-exploding Boxer doesn't pour all the energy to the drivetrain when the driver wants it, instead of kind of drips it out in tiny measured doses depending on the feedback. But as you need more, when other vehicles then flatline at 6k rpm or so past their curve, the Subarus are nearly like 2-strokes, or grandmothers with a limitless supply of five dollar bills in their pocketbooks. They just keep delivering the little globs of power.

Yeah, they're some of the most boring road cars to drive because you just have no way of accessing their capabilities on dry pavement. 

On 10/30/2018 at 8:51 PM, mikewof said:

Cool company. I had a Subaru Impreza, 1987 I think, front wheel drive, with that incredible Fuji Heavy Industries torque management. I drove that little gal over Rabbit Ear's pass many times, never a problem in the snow, even when big ol' 4WDs were slid out into the embankments.

But as good as that car was, the Achilles Heel of the horizontally-opposed engine had a broken timing belt at 67.000 miles, the valves bent like spaghetti because of the interference, and the car was totaled.

One interesting thing about Subaru, they're one of the only car companies to actively market to lesbians ... Lesbaru.

https://medium.com/re-write/lesbaru-i-mean-subaru-c2291dfbe333

Did you hear about the Lesbians that built a house?

They didn't use any studs.  It was all Tongue and Groove!

LESBARU.jpg

Actually, I just remembered, my good friend has a WRX, that thing is the opposite of boring. He gave me a ride in it once are the edge of its performance envelope and I thought I would puke in the car, it holds the road like it's bolted on, and the power off the line is terrifying.

On 11/3/2018 at 10:08 AM, mikewof said:

So what pickup trucks are good for that role? The Honda Ridgeline is good, it has a soft drive, and moves through the roads very much like a car. And you can get that too on some top-of-the-line real trucks, like the F-150 King Ranch, the Titan Platinum Reserve, or the Ram Tungsten Megacab. But these are regular work trucks that are upgraded to be luxury trucks. So they start with the capable frames, engines and transmissions and then tweak the shit out of them to be comfortable and luxurious.

The problem with those are is that they are very expensive, $60,000 and up in some cases.

You can go way north of that with a work truck. Get a cab on chassis and do it up? Yikes. $63K and you still have to put the back on. https://www.deweze.com/bale-beds/parallel-squeeze-600-700/

Well, decision time may come sooner rather than later. Proving the adage that “it’s not if, it’s when” Bambi’s mom committed suicide Monday on my way home from work.  Doing about 50 and took out front bumper, HID adaptive headlight assembly, left fender and left door. At the shop for an estimate now but it’s going to be close to a total. I should know by Tuesday or Wed next week. 

For the “hunting is bad” crowd, this single body shop checked in 3 deer strike victims this afternoon alone.  

On 10/31/2018 at 6:00 PM, Point Break said:

is that the long one? EL or something like that? I miss my Excursion. went thru  a few Expeditions and on my 2nd Navigator after the first was stolen with 2 sets of skis and golf clubs in it .....

2 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

is that the long one? EL or something like that? I miss my Excursion. went thru  a few Expeditions and on my 2nd Navigator after the first was stolen with 2 sets of skis and golf clubs in it .....

Yes, it’s a King Ranch EL. I really like the long wheelbase. 

11 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

How did it get stolen?  Wouldn't it have the chip key thingie?

dunno, there was a rash of car/truck thefts in Vail and Avon a couple years ago.

never found it. it was a 10 year old truck

On 11/1/2018 at 7:22 PM, Monkey said:

I agree there. They tried so hard to make it look less trucklet and more truck, it just looks off. 

I try to tell myself, if I’m driving it, I don’t have to look at it. 

I always considered it looking like the thinking man's Avalanche, without the steroids and balls hanging from the receiver.  

I've had a full sized Chevy 4WD king cab that worked fine for me (300' steep driveway that's exhilarating driving up in the winter when icy, often terrifying driving down) as long as I lugged around tube sand in the back. By far the Ridgeline's the winner in the driveway challenge, probably due to better weight distribution.

The amenities and interior layout of the Ridgeline won too. I needed a car more than I needed a truck, preferably one that fit in my garage, which it does and even a Toyota Tacoma won't. Love the trunk! The 5 foot bed hauls most everything I need it to except my 11' dink, which I kept my 1990 2WD Silverado summer truck specifically for.

Plus, I kinda like the way it looks with the Softopper.

DSC_0473_zpssg5jyzk5.jpg

I went ahead and bought new disk pads at 60K miles because we'd just driven 7 K miles fully loaded and hauling the camper through Newfoundland and figured they were about due. Surprise, the original pads were only about 50% gone.

Never had a warranty problem other than a recall for the drivers airbag, compared to my wife's comparably priced Hyundai Veracruz with it's 6 year 100K mile warranty that needed every bit of it and then some.

I kinda regret that they went more mainstream in the bodywork of the new model. I liked having a different looking car, even if some think it's ugly or funny looking.

Of course, I loved my 1969 Saab Model 96 and am thinking of restoring one for a daily driver if that tells ya anything.

3 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Looks like VW has a pick'em up up its sleeve!

Opening the tailgate for added length

The Tarok Concept is powered by a 148-hp 1.4-liter TSI four, but the production version will...

Channeling  the Subaru Brat maybe? A friend had one of those back in the 80s, total impractical for anything except transporting illegal day workers to the job site.

maxresdefault.jpg

4 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Looks like VW has a pick'em up up its sleeve!

Opening the tailgate for added length

The Tarok Concept is powered by a 148-hp 1.4-liter TSI four, but the production version will...

1 Ton Pick Up Truck, just not very fast!  Seats six.

AEDEA63F-35D9-4190-9410-41B9EFE46689.jpeg

2 hours ago, Willin' said:

I always considered it looking like the thinking man's Avalanche, without the steroids and balls hanging from the receiver.  

I've had a full sized Chevy 4WD king cab that worked fine for me (300' steep driveway that's exhilarating driving up in the winter when icy, often terrifying driving down) as long as I lugged around tube sand in the back. By far the Ridgeline's the winner in the driveway challenge, probably due to better weight distribution.

The amenities and interior layout of the Ridgeline won too. I needed a car more than I needed a truck, preferably one that fit in my garage, which it does and even a Toyota Tacoma won't. Love the trunk! The 5 foot bed hauls most everything I need it to except my 11' dink, which I kept my 1990 2WD Silverado summer truck specifically for.

Plus, I kinda like the way it looks with the Softopper.

DSC_0473_zpssg5jyzk5.jpg

I went ahead and bought new disk pads at 60K miles because we'd just driven 7 K miles fully loaded and hauling the camper through Newfoundland and figured they were about due. Surprise, the original pads were only about 50% gone.

Never had a warranty problem other than a recall for the drivers airbag, compared to my wife's comparably priced Hyundai Veracruz with it's 6 year 100K mile warranty that needed every bit of it and then some.

I kinda regret that they went more mainstream in the bodywork of the new model. I liked having a different looking car, even if some think it's ugly or funny looking.

Of course, I loved my 1969 Saab Model 96 and am thinking of restoring one for a daily driver if that tells ya anything.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the thing. I actually liked the looks of the first gen better when they weren’t trying to blend in. 

Of course, I don’t really fit the mold of the typical American car/truck buyer. I use a Fiesta ST as a commuter car, and an ancient Toyota to piss off the rednecks. 

D5533484-57C9-4CD1-BA45-B5875DCF5F58.jpeg

Piss off the rednecks? I think you may be about 180 out on that! ;)

38 minutes ago, Willin' said:

Piss off the rednecks? I think you may be about 180 out on that! ;)

You’d be surprised. The ignorant ones were bad enough when I had a Jeep, but the Toyota is a whole new ball game. Thankfully, the off-road crowd is totally cool. It’s just the jacked up mall crawlers that take offense. I don’t consider the real off road crowd to be rednecks. 

33 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

I wantte oune.................      :)

59760e11f1744.jpeg

No drink holders, have to put beer bottle between legs.

5 minutes ago, Monkey said:

My kind of truck!

Was a time you could mine good money from the empties under the seat. Now the GPS is there.

21 hours ago, Willin' said:

Channeling  the Subaru Brat maybe? A friend had one of those back in the 80s, total impractical for anything except transporting illegal day workers to the job site.

maxresdefault.jpg

I had one.

The best thing was backing into a drive-in movie space with a keg of beer and bag of hoagies.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

How would a Ridgeline have fared?

CE3A7034-6D08-42B4-A121-04D2C7C6143F.jpeg

I have done that to a number of vehicles.......mostly Pickups, Suburbans and Tahoes, and one KME Fire Engine.......none of which were Toyotas......or Ridgelines.......just saying. :lol:

On 11/8/2018 at 11:28 PM, Innocent Bystander said:

Well, decision time may come sooner rather than later. Proving the adage that “it’s not if, it’s when” Bambi’s mom committed suicide Monday on my way home from work.  Doing about 50 and took out front bumper, HID adaptive headlight assembly, left fender and left door. At the shop for an estimate now but it’s going to be close to a total. I should know by Tuesday or Wed next week. 

For the “hunting is bad” crowd, this single body shop checked in 3 deer strike victims this afternoon alone.  

That isn't the hunting is bad crowd.  That's the there is a house every 100 feet for the next 20 miles crowd.  

Plenty of room for deer to hide not enough to hunt on.  My parents had 5 acres and I couldn't legally fire a gun on that property as all the neighbors were within 500 feet of the house.  ( By just a couple of feet but still)

It doesn't take much to make 200 acres useless for hunting.

On 11/11/2018 at 10:48 AM, Point Break said:
On 11/11/2018 at 7:49 AM, Bus Driver said:

How would a Ridgeline have fared?

CE3A7034-6D08-42B4-A121-04D2C7C6143F.jpeg

I have done that to a number of vehicles.......mostly Pickups, Suburbans and Tahoes, and one KME Fire Engine.......none of which were Toyotas......or Ridgelines.......just saying. :lol:

toyota.jpg