hrothgar

BVI News

Apparently Willie T's has relocated to Great Harbour on Peter Island from the Bight at Norman Island.

Headed there in March for the BVI Spring Regatta and then a week of cruising.

Any first-hand knowledge about how things are proceeding with the reconstruction.  Particularly interested in Anegada, Jost Van Dyke, and Spanish Town on Virgin Gorda.

Peace.

Hrothgar

20 minutes ago, hrothgar said:

Apparently Willie T's has relocated to Great Harbour on Peter Island from the Bight at Norman Island.

It sucks they got pushed out of the Bight. Especially after having to buy a brand new barge (and choosing to go bigger). It's been a while, but I don't remember much going on in Great Harbour and it all being prohibitively expensive. It will be interesting to see if willie t. is enough of a destination for the charter boats and cruisers to overnight. The day-trippers and tour boats will still go i'm sure -they don't care.

Did anyone go the BVI over the holidays?  Looking for the latest info on stuff that is open, in process, closed, etc...

We are headed there in March for the Spring Regatta and then cruising for a week after.  Can't wait!

Hrothgar

1 hour ago, hrothgar said:

Did anyone go the BVI over the holidays?  Looking for the latest info on stuff that is open, in process, closed, etc...

We are headed there in March for the Spring Regatta and then cruising for a week after.  Can't wait!

Hrothgar

lucky ducky ;-)

We re heading there too in May for a week of sailing. Would be interested in some info. There is a BVI group on FB. 

Three weeks from today I am flying to the BVI for a week of racing then a week of crusing....any intelligence I should know?

Hrothgar

Was out there a few weeks ago, had a great time, overall they've done an incredible job of rebuilding, and almost everything is up and running, other than Virgin Gorda north sound - bitter end / yccs / saba rock all out of action, just Leverick bay open I think.

On 3/1/2019 at 10:04 AM, hrothgar said:

Three weeks from today I am flying to the BVI for a week of racing then a week of crusing....any intelligence I should know?

Hrothgar

Are you looking to scuba/snorkel as well? And do you need recommendations on where to do so? Let me know and I can reach out to my friends at Sunchaser Scuba for some specific recommendations for you. As for the islands in general:

Jost Van Dyke: Both Great Harbor and White Bay have lots of action and are doing great. Soggy Dollar Bar is up and rolling as is Foxy's.

Norman Island: As you stated earlier in this thread, Willie T has moved from The Bight to Great Harbor on Peter Island, so it's no longer there. The beach restaurants in the Bight are up and running if you want to check them out and mooring balls are available.

Cooper Island: Beach club restaurant, rum bar and retail shop are all open and running. Doing great.

Peter Island: Willie T is now anchored in Great Harbour. Worth checking out the new barge for sure! I don't believe Peter Island itself is open as yet.

Virgin Gorda: Spanish Town is still recovering. There is dock space available as well as fuel and water, but not a whole lot else in the Marina area to do right now apart from a few local bars (if that's your type of scene and you want a truly authentic VG experience). You'll even have to take a taxi to get to a grocery store as the one in the marina closed. There's also no banks on VG after the Hurricane so get cash on Tortola!!! 

Coco Maya (in my opinion the best restaurant experience in the BVI) is open and an awesome place to stop for dinner. It can also be accessed from the North Sound via taxi (20 minute ride each way) if you'd rather stay at Leverick Bay. Leverick Bay would be more happening than Spanish Town for sure. 

The Baths still rock (haha) and Top of the Baths is open and Mad Dogs (the sandwich shop up top) has also just finished a rebuild and may even be open by the time you get there.

North Sound: Leverick Bay is open and fully functioning. They have a marina with mooring balls, dock space, fuel, water and a provisioning store. Additionally, the beach bar and restaurant are both open. The restaurant is on the expensive side but really does incredible food. 

YCCS, Saba Rock, Sandbox Beach Bar and Bitter End Yacht Club are all closed. Bitter End Yacht Club is rumored to be opening in October 2019 with a marina, retail shops, watersports, spa and restaurant (no hotel guests yet) but that remains to be seen. Oil Nut Bay is open and I believe their club area can still be accessed by boat guests as long as you make a lunch reservation. ONB is a beautiful place to check out. Hog Heaven is also reopened and still has the best view in the BVI. It can be accessed via taxi from either Spanish Town or Leverick Bay. 

Anegada: Anegada is rocking and rolling. All the spots are open and awesome. I think the only place to be forcibly closed by the Hurricane was Palmetto Point? So there is a lot to do and see on the island still. Highly recommend.

Tortola: I honestly don't know specifics. Heard Cane Garden Bay has action and is a fun spot. West End is still rebuilding. Ask around when you're there for the Spring Regatta! I'm very jealous.

Hope this helps! Let me know about those scuba/snorkel recommendations. 

47 minutes ago, SimplyDabbling said:

Anegada: Anegada is rocking and rolling. All the spots are open and awesome. I think the only place to be forcibly closed by the Hurricane was Palmetto Point? So there is a lot to do and see on the island still. Highly recommend.

When we were there a few years ago at least some of the charter companies excluded Anegada - too dangerous.

IIRC it ate one of the early Ondine's.

Any word on Beef Island / Trellis Bay / Marina Cay and that corner of the BVIs? 

19 hours ago, SimplyDabbling said:

Are you looking to scuba/snorkel as well? And do you need recommendations on where to do so? Let me know and I can reach out to my friends at Sunchaser Scuba for some specific recommendations for you. As for the islands in general:

Jost Van Dyke: Both Great Harbor and White Bay have lots of action and are doing great. Soggy Dollar Bar is up and rolling as is Foxy's.

Norman Island: As you stated earlier in this thread, Willie T has moved from The Bight to Great Harbor on Peter Island, so it's no longer there. The beach restaurants in the Bight are up and running if you want to check them out and mooring balls are available.

Cooper Island: Beach club restaurant, rum bar and retail shop are all open and running. Doing great.

Peter Island: Willie T is now anchored in Great Harbour. Worth checking out the new barge for sure! I don't believe Peter Island itself is open as yet.

Virgin Gorda: Spanish Town is still recovering. There is dock space available as well as fuel and water, but not a whole lot else in the Marina area to do right now apart from a few local bars (if that's your type of scene and you want a truly authentic VG experience). You'll even have to take a taxi to get to a grocery store as the one in the marina closed. There's also no banks on VG after the Hurricane so get cash on Tortola!!! 

Coco Maya (in my opinion the best restaurant experience in the BVI) is open and an awesome place to stop for dinner. It can also be accessed from the North Sound via taxi (20 minute ride each way) if you'd rather stay at Leverick Bay. Leverick Bay would be more happening than Spanish Town for sure. 

The Baths still rock (haha) and Top of the Baths is open and Mad Dogs (the sandwich shop up top) has also just finished a rebuild and may even be open by the time you get there.

North Sound: Leverick Bay is open and fully functioning. They have a marina with mooring balls, dock space, fuel, water and a provisioning store. Additionally, the beach bar and restaurant are both open. The restaurant is on the expensive side but really does incredible food. 

YCCS, Saba Rock, Sandbox Beach Bar and Bitter End Yacht Club are all closed. Bitter End Yacht Club is rumored to be opening in October 2019 with a marina, retail shops, watersports, spa and restaurant (no hotel guests yet) but that remains to be seen. Oil Nut Bay is open and I believe their club area can still be accessed by boat guests as long as you make a lunch reservation. ONB is a beautiful place to check out. Hog Heaven is also reopened and still has the best view in the BVI. It can be accessed via taxi from either Spanish Town or Leverick Bay. 

Tortola: I honestly don't know specifics. Heard Cane Garden Bay has action and is a fun spot. West End is still rebuilding. Ask around when you're there for the Spring Regatta! I'm very jealous.

Hope this helps! Let me know about those scuba/snorkel recommendations. 

Thanks for the awesome report!

we fly out two weeks from today.  I can barely work I am so psyched!

Hroth

21 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

When we were there a few years ago at least some of the charter companies excluded Anegada - too dangerous.

IIRC it ate one of the early Ondine's.

Anegada really isn’t bad at all to get to. In fact it’s an awesome sail from VG. Heck, I’ve windsurfed there from the North Sound on Virgin Gorda. The mooring field is just shallow. If you have a monohull with a draft greater than 6 feet it’s not deep enough for you to get to a ball. You have to anchor just east of the channel into the mooring field. Even that isn’t bad though. The channel is well marked. Just don’t be hammered before you get there lol. 

22 hours ago, jewingiv said:

Any word on Beef Island / Trellis Bay / Marina Cay and that corner of the BVIs? 

Trellis Bay is still pretty rough. Not a ton going on there apart from the market. Marina Cay and Scrub Island are operating and awesome though.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hrothgar said:

Thanks for the awesome report!

we fly out two weeks from today.  I can barely work I am so psyched!

Hroth

My pleasure dude enjoy. Cane Garden Bay is also good to go. 

Snap a picture of BEYC for me if you can. 

I leave in 3 days for the BVI...last call for information/intelligence.

Cheers!

Hrothgar

2 hours ago, hrothgar said:

Cheers!

Hrothgar

Sorry, we're all out of intelligence, you'll have to settle for attitude.

3 hours ago, hrothgar said:

Cheers!

Hrothgar

If you want dive/snorkel advice, hit up Sunchaser Scuba. They're based in the North Sound but they can pick you up right from your boat and you're guaranteed a 5-star experience.

There is also new kiteboarding/free-diving school based out of Leverick Bay. UpNUnder Watersports. I've heard some great reviews of the guys from friends so if you want some kiting lessons give them a ring. https://upnunderwatersports.com/about/

Otherwise, that's all I got. Enjoy it, sail fast!

The hurricane went almost directly over Marina Cay.  The damage to Marina Cay, Scrub Island, and Trellis Bay was extensive (as it was to the Bitter End and Saba Rock).  Scrub is almost entirely operational.  Marina Cay has a restaurant open but no accommodations.  Trellis Bay is still rebuilding but places are open.  I don't know about Bellamy Cay (once the Last Resort).  We were able to get breakfast at the Market before our flight out last spring. 

On the North Sound, Leverick Bay has done an amazing job of rebuilding.

Anegada is in much better shape.  Pomato Point is still rebuilding but hoping to be open soon.  I don't think Whistling Pines re-opened but everything else along the harbor is open (Neptune's Treasure, Wonky Dog, Anegada Reefs, Lobster Trap, Potter's are all in operation).  Anegada seems to be getting a lot more traffic while the other places continue to rebuild.  Several times in January we counted 50 or so boats in the harbor.  I believe all the marks are in place so the approach should not be a problem.  I didn't realize the charter companies were still "redlining" Anegada - you sure can't tell by the numbers of boats.  

Just got back on Monday from a short 5 day charter.

If you want to eat dinner make reservations EARLY as there are not as many options as pre-storm

Norman: The Bite restaurant, very good, food was solid and totally chill.  The old Willy T is beached ashore and rotting away.  Snorkeling in the caves were the best on the trip.  Lots less fish that 3 years ago, maybe just coincidence. 

Jost: Our charter company BVI Charters, would not allow the Cat into White Bay, as the channel is not well marked currently.  Easy dinghy ride from Great Harbor.  Ivan's was open (Small, but total local chill joint).  Soggy Dollar is Full Swing, cranking out burgers until 3 and then apps only after that.  Beach there is amazing, but there were 2 full cruise ships moored right off the beach.  Heavy on the Cruise ship peeps on shore, not my bag.   Foxy's was great for late night.  DJ was rocking. 

Anegada: No problem with out charter company going, just had to call them day of to make sure they were OK (Not too rough).  Well marked entrance, Cow Wreck beach was great, did a solid lobster dinner at the Lobster Shack.  I would recommend 2 days there to just chill.  WAY off the grid and almost have the island to yourself.

Cooper:  Totally functional, great day to spend the day as well. 

Marina Cay: Didn't stop, but they have meals up in tents, charter company heard good things

Just back from two weeks in the BVI and finding re-entry difficult.  Here is my full/partial report.

Arrived St. Thomas on March 22.  Overnight at the Windward Passage hotel which is right by the fast ferry dock in Charlotte Amalie.  Next day took the ferry to Road Town to pick up the boat at the Moorings.  After the standard waiting around and provisioning, the guys and I were off to Jost Van Dyke for some partying.

Jost--awesome--mooring balls are a little scarce but we got the last one.  Dinghied over to White Bay and the Soggy Dollar for some (4-5) painkillers.  Good stuff!  Went to Foxy's for the Saturday night buffet and dance party.  Didn't have a reservation which threw them over the edge a bit but they accommodated us.  Buffet was $35 per person.

Willie Ts.  Sunday we motored from Jost to Peter Island to check out Willie Ts.  New barge.  Same debauchery with girls flashing and jumping off the top deck.  Good stuff!  After a few hours there we went to Nanny Cay which is where the Spring Regatta was based and where we had a slip reservation for the week.  Kinda pricey but that is the place to be during the regatta.

Monday was a lay day and we basically hung out at Nanny and got drunk.  A couple of the guys went diving off of Cooper Island and they enjoyed the experience.  We also prepped the boat for racing by taking off the anchor and bimini.

Tuesday was the Round Tortola Race.  It nuked and we finished in about 5 hours.  Not great but its hard to make a 45.4 Moorings boat move.  Top speed on some the reaching surfing stuff was about 10.5 kts.  Fun day but a lot of work for a crew of 4.

Wednesday was the Scrub Island race.  We went out around Deadman's  Chest, Salt, Cooper, and Ginger and then into Scrub.  Took about 3 hours in lighter air.  The party and awards at Scrub were a little lame.  We sailed back to Nanny in about an hour and a half and prepared for the lay day on Thursday.

Friday the regatta started with two races on the Norman Island course.  What a struggle getting the boat moving in light air.

Saturday racing was cancelled due to no wind.  We took off for Norman Island to do some snorkeling at the Caves and Indians.  Also a nice boozy lunch at Pirates Bight.

Sunday was light air but they ran 3 W-L races on the Norman Course.  For the week, we were 7th out of 9 in our section.  But, who cares really?  We were in the BVI.

Monday I swapped out crew for a week of cruising.  Wife and son and another family met us at Nanny Cay and the crew took off to rejoin society.  First stop on Monday was Cooper Island.   I used boatyball.com to secure a reserved mooring.  You have to do this at 700 am sharp or the available reserve-able balls will be gone.  Cooper Island was great and had a nice dinner at the Beach Club.  Reservations are a must.

Tuesday was the Baths and then sailing up to North Sound Virgin Gorda and Leverick Bay.  Very nice stuff there.  We saw the Pirate show and had a casual meal at the beach bar.

Wednesday was off to Anegada.  Got hit by a small squall on the way out which freaked out some of the guests (non-sailors) on the boat.  Anegada was a pure joy though once we got there and tied up at our reserved mooring.  Rented a Moke to go to Loblolly Bay and Cow Wreck Beach.  Had beers both places.  Dinner was at the Wonky Dog and was delicious.

Thursday was a long sail downwind to Jost from Anegada.  The total distance is about 25 miles and we covered that in about 4 hours mooring to mooring.  Again, mooring balls are tight at Jost and we ended up with the last one.  Had fun again at the Soggy Dollar and Foxy's.  This time we had dinner on the boat which was fun.

Friday was back to Norman for more snorkeling and handing out.  The teenage boys went hiking to the top of Norman and had some great views of the south side bays.  Nice final night dinner at Pirates Bight.

Saturday was return the boat day.  Moorings is chaotic on Saturday so if you plan a different day to start and end, that might be better.  Ferry back to St. Thomas and overnight at the Windward Passage again.

Overall a dream two weeks!  A little racing, a little cruising, lots of friends and booze.

Hit me up with questions.

Hrothgar

• Like 3

right outside the WIndward Passage hotel  in STT there used to be an old USPS truck that was converted into a food truck. the lady there made the best fish stew....still there?

We were there in 2012 for our 3rd trip in 4 years, figured we'd be back about every other year.....lingering effects of recession,  kid stuff (sports and college),  years have whizzed by.... I hope my last time in the BVI wasn't my last time in the BVI

21 hours ago, dacapo said:

right outside the WIndward Passage hotel  in STT there used to be an old USPS truck that was converted into a food truck. the lady there made the best fish stew....still there?

Didn't see the food truck.  But I seem to recall it was there in 2016 when I was there last.

Hroth