Sign in to follow this  
Irish River

B&G H3000 Gps and true wind

I'm trying to figure out a h3000 system. It has all the bells and whistles, but I can't put the GPS cog sog and position on a screen without the true wind direction turning 'off.  

The simrad gps, ais,  h3000, and lots of other bits are wired into a multiplex nmea box which outputs to expedition. The compass, is a Digital yacht HSC connected to the nmea in on the h3000.  So I've tried connecting the GPS directly to the same nmea in on the h3000. The GPS data shows up on the displays, but the true wind solution turns off.  What do I need to do to get both working?  

Generally, in the face of problems like these the solution includes:

1. Extracting all calibration values from the system
  2. Performing a full system reset
  3. Making sure you've selected a heading unit
  4. Making sure you've selected a speed source
  5. Reloading your calibration values

That said, you haven't really given any information about your system or your problem:

• What is on the Fastnet bus? Displays, compass, Pilot, etc
  • How many separate NMEA0183 connections are made to the system? One into the H3000, any into FFDs?
  • What does "on a screen" mean? Do you mean 20/20s, FFDs, GFDs or ... ?
  • What does "true wind direction turning off" mean? Do you mean that when you have COG/SOG on one display that TWD stops working on another display? Is that data just bad or does the line turn to "OFF" or "---"?

Thanks for replying. 

What's on the fastnet? As far as I can tell, the pilot, displays, maybe load cells and string pots?  

Only one mmea in from hsc compass. I added the GPS into same nmea in, TWD displayed "off" on 20/20s and GFD.   

I'm a noob with bandg.  Miss the old boat ockams.  

Added the gps into the same nmea input? NMEA 0183 is point to point, you can't just add it in. What, exactly, did you do, just connect the wires?

1 minute ago, Moonduster said:

Added the gps into the same nmea input? NMEA 0183 is point to point, you can't just add it in. What, exactly, did you do, just connect the wires?

Yes.  I just added it in.    The GPS was on multiplexer. 

It's still not clear how your NMEA0183 devices are connected to the H3000.

You cannot connect more than one device to any NMEA0183 input; it's a point-to-point bus.

You can connect two separate device outputs to two separate inputs of a multiplexor and connect the multiplexor's output to the input of the H3000.

Both the GPS and the compass need to be on the multiplexor.

How are your GPS, Compass, Mux and H3000 physically wired?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Moonduster said:

Thanks for sticking with me. I thought nmea was like a bus.  So that helps. I will try the compass and GPS to multiplexer then out h3000

Currently wired as follows:

Gps into multiplexer = no GPS data on displays.

Compass into h3000 nmea

H3000 out to multiplex

Only thing into h3000 nmea is compass.

I'm confused. You said you were getting SOG/COG on the "screens" ... now you say you have no GPS data on the displays. What screens had SOG/COG? I had thought you meant displays on the H3000.

If the H3000 goes out the the multiplexor ... where does the multiplexor's output go?

A picture is probably worth a 1000 posts here ... can you hand draw a sketch of the various components and take a photo and post that here?

I described the original.  Pic attached as currently wired. In this config it's easy to see why no GPS data is displayed on the GFD displays. Multiplex out goes to computer via usb. 

I tried taking GPS to same nmea as compass,  the true wind displayed "off" on the 20/20 and the GFD. But the GPS data was working. Maybe multiplex should have compass and GPS in and a nmea out to h3000?

15411726816331687271095.jpg

That helps a lot. I'm confused in your original description where you say your display loses True Wind Direction when you view SOG/COG. Because you don't have GPS information going into the H3000, where were you looking at SOG/COG?

I've re-read your last post and believe I see what's going on.

It reads as if you connected the GPS output and the HSC to the same input of the H3000. That might work for a while at times, but only by chance. It would explain pretty much any symptom associated with either the GPS or HSC data.

I suggest that your AIS, GPS and HSC should each be inputs into the multiplexer and that the multiplexer output should go to both the H3000 and the PC. There might be problems doing that as your AIS probably also generates GPS output and the speed required for the AIS data (38400 baud) might be too fast for the H3000 as "standard" NMEA0183 is only 4800 baud.

Let me look at some manuals and see what other options you might have available.

On further review ...

I find your data diagram to be pretty confusing. It seems to me that there are a couple of feedback loops and those make trouble.

That said, I haven't dug into all the details of all the data paths and since both the Mux and Expedition are highly configurable, it's not really possible to know what's going on without more documentation and access to their setups.

Here's what I see:

1. You show NMEA0183 data going out of the H3000 and into the Mux
  2. You show bidirectional USB data between the H3000 to the PC
  3. You show bi directional USB data between the PC and the Mux

The Hlink feature of the H3000 is something I've never really had to dig into as I went from H2000 to H5000 without missing a beat, it's not clear to me what data gets from PC into the H3000 on the USB wire.

But, if you're seeing GPS data on the H3000, then it's getting there via the HLink connection from the mux, into the PC, through expedition and out to the H3000. And, it's possible the compass data is getting there twice - once directly and once through some long circuitous path.Certainly understanding whether the H3000 -> Mux connection is necessary would be good. It seems to me all that data can easily flow from HLink through the PC to the Mux and out the wifi to the tablet, but I'm not sure it does. It's also the case that your AIS generates GPS data and so you have dual GPS data streams that will be confusing as they'll be slightly different. I expect you can dump the GPS data by configuring either the AIS of the Mux so that only your GPS provides GPS data.

There may be others here who better understand the HLink thing, your Ship Modul mux and how to avoid data feedback. From my eye, it looks like a potential mess that could cause any number of problems that should be eliminated on first principals.

Was the overall configuration put together by someone knowledgable or cobbled together over time?

1 hour ago, Moonduster said:

On further review ...

I find your data diagram to be pretty confusing. It seems to me that there are a couple of feedback loops and those make trouble.

That said, I haven't dug into all the details of all the data paths and since both the Mux and Expedition are highly configurable, it's not really possible to know what's going on without more documentation and access to their setups.

Here's what I see:

1. You show NMEA0183 data going out of the H3000 and into the Mux
  2. You show bidirectional USB data between the H3000 to the PC
  3. You show bi directional USB data between the PC and the Mux

The Hlink feature of the H3000 is something I've never really had to dig into as I went from H2000 to H5000 without missing a beat, it's not clear to me what data gets from PC into the H3000 on the USB wire.

But, if you're seeing GPS data on the H3000, then it's getting there via the HLink connection from the mux, into the PC, through expedition and out to the H3000. And, it's possible the compass data is getting there twice - once directly and once through some long circuitous path.Certainly understanding whether the H3000 -> Mux connection is necessary would be good. It seems to me all that data can easily flow from HLink through the PC to the Mux and out the wifi to the tablet, but I'm not sure it does. It's also the case that your AIS generates GPS data and so you have dual GPS data streams that will be confusing as they'll be slightly different. I expect you can dump the GPS data by configuring either the AIS of the Mux so that only your GPS provides GPS data.

There may be others here who better understand the HLink thing, your Ship Modul mux and how to avoid data feedback. From my eye, it looks like a potential mess that could cause any number of problems that should be eliminated on first principals.

Was the overall configuration put together by someone knowledgable or cobbled together over time?

Feedback loops. My favorite flavour.  The multiplex shows overflow light on. This system is new to us, previous owner had the skills to do this properly, but may have made it unnecessarily complicated. 

The only time we ever had GPS data show on the bandg was when I hooked it directly to h3000. My thinking is the h3000 should do the heavy lifting, let's face it, TWD is the whole point. Every system I've helped on in past has that data plus GPS.  

On 11/3/2018 at 2:32 AM, Irish River said:

I described the original.  Pic attached as currently wired. In this config it's easy to see why no GPS data is displayed on the GFD displays. Multiplex out goes to computer via usb. 

I tried taking GPS to same nmea as compass,  the true wind displayed "off" on the 20/20 and the GFD. But the GPS data was working. Maybe multiplex should have compass and GPS in and a nmea out to h3000?

15411726816331687271095.jpg

I believe you need to consult with an electrical trained technician or engineer to help you draw the above wiring drawing before any of us readers will be able to assist you with your issue. Your drawing is not detailed enough for us to help you at the moment, maybe take some photos of all your equiped and wiring or pay a marine qualified technician to assist with your issues?

17 hours ago, Chucky said:

I believe you need to consult with an electrical trained technician or engineer to help you draw the above wiring drawing before any of us readers will be able to assist you with your issue. Your drawing is not detailed enough for us to help you at the moment, maybe take some photos of all your equiped and wiring or pay a marine qualified technician to assist with your issues?

Yes it was a back of napkin dwg. There is a better one posted above. Thanks