Xlot

Did I miss both 2019 ACWS events to be in Italy?

That’s what the latest issue of Cup Experience says, supposedly based on a RG interview with COR36 CEO Laurent Esquier. Old news?

That's my understanding, which makes you wonder why any of the Euro teams would be upset with things like the residency rule (here's looking at the people whinging on Artemis' behalf), the entire first year is basically in their back yard!

They are nationality rules. Europe isn't a nation.

• Like 1

Fine, but my question is: was this already known? I haven’t been able to locate the RG/Esquier interview on S-W

Also, ACWS will be fleet races, apparently

1 hour ago, Xlot said:

Fine, but my question is: was this already known? I haven’t been able to locate the RG/Esquier interview on S-W

Also, ACWS will be fleet races, apparently

From the tail end of the second half of a long two-part interview published 18th October.  The World Series starts in autumn 2019.  

Esquier:  "The first America’s Cup World Cup Series event will be in Italy.”

There is no mention of the second AC World Cup series in this article but I've seen reports that says Ital will be venue for the second also. 

Esquier: "We want the first event for those boats to be foiling - with a good breeze. The first one will be at the end of September. We have to show the world that the concept is working. At present we know the concept is working from Ben's (Ainslie) [28ft] boat - but that is small scale."

"The learning curve might be steep, but with the type of sailors we get on the AC75s, we will make it work", says the former America's Cup coach.

"Part of the event will be training, and then there will be racing, most of which is fleet racing. We might go to a Match Race on the last day. In the first America’s Cup World Series we are going to focus on making sure that the competitors get as much training and racing as possible. What happens in future events is a decision we will make together.”

"It is probably going to be four days of racing and five days of practice - so there is a week and a half on the water."

^ Thanks. As you say, the location of the second ACWS is not finalized. Esquier’s accent on training, while a first in the AC, is justified: among other things, the Rules Committee has to evaluate the use of the FCS and decide if under some circumstances the windward foil may be allowed to provide negative lift

What boats will they be using, surely not JC75s?

21 hours ago, GauchoGreg said:

Are they sticking with the "ACWS" moniker?

Seems so

17 hours ago, hoom said:

What boats will they be using, surely not JC75s?

Of course...

If you go here https://www.lunarossachallenge.com/   and scroll down a bit you will know as much about what is planned as anyone....

I.e. 2019, 2 "ACWS" events in the Med', locations TBC :D, etc etc

Didn’t Matteo say both ‘19 events would be in Italy? Someone did but there’s nothing official so far, just rumors about possibilities like Cagliari and (apparently PB’s desire) Napoli.

Thats gonna be expensive & training-time consuming shipping JC75s around like that :huh:

Its one thing shipping AC45s around while you do other stuff back at base, but sending your only JC75 & a bunch of spares etc gonna be a big PITA.

^ Cagliari being a given, with just four boats Porto Cervo in the Fall  becomes a possibility. Lake Garda would be ideal, but it’s fresh water

May be the wrong thread but I think the article in Italian that preceded Jack G’s info about the foil arm failure also said they would require a redesign by ETNZ; and spoke of Napoli.

14 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

May be the wrong thread but I think the article in Italian that preceded Jack G’s info about the foil arm failure also said they would require a redesign by ETNZ;

LR is putting its structural department in order: it would be a tremendous loss of face if they weren’t capable of handling this

1 hour ago, Xlot said:

LR is putting its structural department in order: it would be a tremendous loss of face if they weren’t capable of handling this

Yes, could have been LR who got tagged for a redesign. The article may have been in Saily.it if you’d like to try find it; I spent a few minutes there recently but did not.

2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Yes, could have been LR who got tagged for a redesign. The article may have been in Saily.it if you’d like to try find it; I spent a few minutes there recently but did not.

It was in Cup Experience

58 minutes ago, Xlot said:

It was in Cup Experience

Yes, although an article in Italian preceded Jack’s CE report. I think I posted a Gtran link to it but can’t remember how long ago or which thread. Shortly after, I also posted a snarky remark about ETNZ’s breaking-foil problems in AC35,  is why I think the design reference this recent time had also referred to ETNZ. 

On 11/2/2018 at 4:28 AM, dogwatch said:

They are nationality rules. Europe isn't a nation.

agreed. but don't let that soros guy and his pals hear you.