Sign in to follow this  
Tyson0317

Problems with Propane Fume Detector Alarm

I do not use my stove often, but we are setting up to go for a 4-day November outing to San Juan Round-The-County race. I spent 2 hours today cleaning out the burners on my stove to get them working right. And just as I got everything working there, I started having problems with my Propane alarm going off.

At first, I thought that I had a propane leak, but I couldn't smell anything. I shut off the tank and opened all hatches. Even waved a towel around to move air. Then went topside for about an hour to do some other repairs. Returned, power-cycled the stove switch and still the alarm starts acting up... the red light will come on, then turn off and periodically the audible alarm will go off. I took the sensor off the wall and found some corrosion in the circuitry. Looks like it might be toast! But the annoying part is that the wire doesn't have a plug, so I assume that the new sensor will need to have the wire re-ran (annoying!!) Going to call Fisheries tomorrow to see if the sensor can be bought separately, or if I have to buy the whole damned setup...

Question: Is there some way to easily bypass the sensor? I need the oven/stove for this trip. Chances are, the part will need to be special-ordered... I could just remove the magnetic switch and bypass the whole system, but I was wondering what would happen if I just clipped off the sensor?

1101181806.thumb.jpg.2683ccf6e97cbf0c6b23f96a9be8e617.jpg1101181826.thumb.jpg.da90ccd45b2b4d7b606827a8e808d7df.jpg1101181809.thumb.jpg.24e51d4c3006f8065bb0f9fd970d80d0.jpg

You can buy a battery operated sniffer at any decent hardware store. Plenty of portable and 12V models on Amazon, too. Prices are in the 30-50 range.

That said, the basis of safety for propane is a remote solenoid actuated valve at the tank. If that's working and you turn the valve off when you're not actively using the stove and there's no massive leak, the real risk is very, very low.

Thank guys for the link!

I know what I'm doing later today...

New sensor installed. $70 pooer, but have zero problems. Hooray! Ohh and while at Fisheries, I spent a $1k on other shit... Hate that place!

Sensor corrosion has been the only cause of problems with my propane detector. Tried to put a second one in the gas bottle locker, that didn't last long.....