Sign in to follow this  
LionessRacing

Occasional/special tools for club to share

Just replaced some battery cables, which necessitated purchasing a cable cutter and lug crimper, suitable for working in situ. 

Dont expect to need them again, and don’t want to store, so donated to the club to start a special tool collection for occasional use. Will probably donate my rig tension gauge as well as the outboard motor mover I put in a few years back. 

What else would be worthy of stocking the club’s use once or twice in a decade closet ? 

"Don't want to store". 

I follow that but anything that goes into a shared tool box will be pinched or wrecked in no time.

It might work if there's one key, held by one "responsible adult".

Good on you for trying.

I'm a member of a small group who share our gear, including hydraulic crimper, mooring punt with chain-lift, sail-making skills, electrical and engineering, spray painting, glass and resin, hole-saws, various welders etc.  It works well but it pays to keep track of who borrowed what.

The local sailing club includes the above members but there are twice as many lawyers / doctors / pilots etc who are best kept well away from tools.

Had not thought of the sewing stuff, have an old Viking 320 that’s made a few sails & covers a Hotknife and 8’ straight batten that would get someone started on repairs/incidental work. Won’t be putting my Festool sanders out there but the porter cable buffer might be a suitable tool . 

Agree on the hazards of the ignorant, unskilled, venal and careless around tools, beats having them at the leeward mark.  

I lose more damn tools by lending them out, end up going and buying them, then remember who has them and attempt to retrieve or just let them have to old one.  Good on ya mate for the effort.

I don't generally lend tools. I learned my lesson (once and for all) when against my better judgement I loaned a power washer to a neighbor and it came back sounding like it worked but not actually working. That was a $350 mistake.

Now, on the rare occasion when I do lend a tool, it's accompanied by "The Talk", which involves a long look directly in the eyes and consent to 1: you break it you buy it and 2: I'm the one who decides whether you broke it. 

You can get a medium quality hydraulic cable terminal swaging tool on Amazon and a decent pair of lopping shears that do a good job on copper cable for about 100 cuts retail for $100, combined.

Giving them to your club is, essentially, throwing them away.

So this thread is essentially about encouraging other people to throw away their tools, too. Why?

1 hour ago, IStream said:

I don't generally lend tools. I learned my lesson (once and for all) when against my better judgement I loaned a power washer to a neighbor and it came back sounding like it worked but not actually working. That was a $350 mistake.

Now, on the rare occasion when I do lend a tool, it's accompanied by "The Talk", which involves a long look directly in the eyes and consent to 1: you break it you buy it and 2: I'm the one who decides whether you broke it. 

I try not to borrow tools either: doing so creates a debt to the lender, who will expect reciprocation. A family that was a long time friend of our family was a great example - they'd lend you anything they had without reservation. They'd ask to borrow the same. The trouble was, everything they had or touched was very soon a complete wreck. Sometimes tied back together with an old lamp cord, etc. Whatever you lent them came back the same.

Even professionals are bad. I have a large collection of power tools, some of which were purchased 30 years ago. They have been cared for, and look nearly new. Contractors (good ones, and friends of mine) are working on my house and ask to borrow some of them as they've left their's at the shop. They'd say, "did you just buy this?", and in 3 hours use, more wear and damage is put on them in 30 years of may occasional use. My brothers are the same, though not quite a bad. 

In my area there are tool libraries, one for bike repair the other for more general household use. You could set something up with limited hours where tools a checked in and out with inspections etc. Of course this ends up being more work for whoever organizes it. But a small fee might offset that. I would be happy to pay $5-10 for a few hours use of a crimper rather than buy one never to use again.

Personally I have always  invested in the tools I need, or where possible rented from a commercial source if it’s in the category of use rarely (stump grinding, excavator, skid steer etc)  I don’t lend nor borrow ongoing use tools, except in accessing the ones I gave my stepson when we downsized to a townhouse, with the understanding that access was part of the gift  (drill press, power washer etc)

Donating ~$50 (there are cheaper and adequate mechanical crispers) worth of tools I am done with costs me nothing, and might benefit a club member, who wouldn’t need to make the purchase and wait the week to do the project, or drive 60 miles to get their own from home, which was why I ended up with multiple small shop vacuums  

Never lend tools or books - to anyone who doesn't live with you.

• Like 1

Specifically for new battery cables, I took a different route to special tools, time, and materials.  I ordered them prefabricated from a reputable online source. 

Our club workshop has generic tools that members can borrow or use there.  The drill press and vice have been handy for us, along with the nicopress crimpers and rivet gun. If people don't return the tools the club has to buy new ones, which increases dues.  Since people don't want increased dues, most of the tools get returned.  Egregious offenders can also be billed if they lose a big-ticket item;  you have to ask to borrow anything, so they know who had it last.   

Hand tools are essentially free; they generally pay for themselves in their first use. Power tools take a bit longer; stationary tools, not so much.

I think it's the "arm tools" that the OP is talking about: lug crimpers and copper cable cutters. It's about a $300 investment for both and if you cheap out, you get crappy knockoffs that won't give you good results. if you'll only be doing one job, it's hard to justify the cost.

Most tools in the electronics world are like that, $1000+ crimpers etc. Use them for one job then they can sit on the shelf for years collecting dust.

I've thought about setting up a small shop in one of our club storage sheds with a drill press, vice, things like hacksaws, nice pope rivet gun, swaging tools, maybe some drills/sanders etc. It wouldn't cost that much, probably less than $1000 which I may save in gas money alone carting the stuff around or having to drive off to buy something locally. The trouble is all the statements raised here-tools walking off, inexperienced users beating them to death, experienced users who don't care beating them to death etc. Then there are other issues like liability that can be raised (i.e increased insurance for the club), or we could point to the club parking rules which specify "no heavy maintenance on club grounds", which depending on your definition could be violated by having a workshop available...

On 11/4/2018 at 6:15 AM, IStream said:

I use to loan a chain saw and it always came back broken. I ended up giving it to him and now borrow it when I need it