Sign in to follow this  
nacradriver

Bike Rack Anarchry

Looking to get a bike rack to hang off the back of the mini-van...  have a two inch receiver for the hitch..

Thinking about either of these two application...  advise anyone?

image.png.78876b4e6ebce81396f9a810e6cb7929.png

image.thumb.png.4c821c1533f50fcfd8605d22f1ac1ff4.png

The first option is much better, it does not allow the bikes to bang around against each other. I have a version of the 2nd pic, and it takes a lot of padding/cross tying/bullshit effort to try & keep the bikes from killing each other. I extended the two top tubes and only carry three at a time now. I'd buy the first option if I had the spare cash & we used it enuff to justify.

• Like 1

A roof rack will leave access to the back door. You need to carry 4 ?

Hitch rack wobble just annoys the crap out of me

• Like 2

The stand up racks will pivot sideways out of the way.

39 minutes ago, Dorado said:

A roof rack will leave access to the back door. You need to carry 4 ?

Hitch rack wobble just annoys the crap out of me

I use the second kind, hitch wobble is easy to fix with that special tapered receiver bolt instead of just a pin.

The hitch mount racks seem to protect the bikes, lower wind resistance and lower the likelihood of murdering your bikes when you drive into a garage or a drive-through. The one I had pivoted down to open the back gate.

We have a two bike version like the first one and like it.  It’s a Thule - very well made.  We like the tire cradle style mount because my wife’s bike is a step-through frame, and a rack that holds the bikes by the top tube would require a tension bar.  Really like the hitch mount - loading is fast and easy and the bikes are held securely. The rack swings down by releasing a lever to enable opening the hatch.

Nacra,

we hade one similar to your first pic one on my wife’s Saturn vue.  It came straight out of hitch. It did not drop low or raise up like the one pictured

We ended up melting one of the bikes tires as it was too close to the exhaust.   The little 4 banger engine worked really hard on the trip to the mountains.

i just never thought it would have been a problem.

the issues with the hanging racks.  Is thy work fine for male bikes,  but the female framed bikes the bikes don’t hang the same, and if you want to remove the bike near the rear glass, you need to remove all the bikes.    With the first rack pictured. You can remove individual bikes with out having to remove them all

First one all the way. The Hollywood has an ingenious tensioner rod that pulls the mount tight into the receiver and helps a lot with wobble.  This is from this weekend to San Luis and back.  You’ll want to supplement the hold down things with straps and or bungees. 

C7517CC9-0A0E-4E97-8F58-39E9826F2360.jpeg

We have the Thule in the 2nd pic.  Holds 5 bikes.  There is a possibility of slippage of the rubber tie down straps moving rearward on the tubes, so securing with a strong bungie is needed.

We have one that looks like your second pic too. The big issues i have with it is it doesn't accommodate womens or kids bikes very well.

The fold down feature is really nice but you need to use the bolt to keep it from wobbling in the receiver.

I always used a Thule roof rack system for bikes/skis/kayaks/surfboards/paddleboards. It was mostly driven by how much I hated the rattle and bounce of every receiver hitch system I ever tried. They might be better now but I never tried one I liked. In all honesty, another reason was I needed the roof top system for most of my toys that were too long/big to use a receiver hitch, so getting the bikes up there wasn't that big a jump in accessories. I did have to remember a fast food drive through was no longer possible though.......nor was it a good idea to pull directly into the garage after an outing........

Check your region's laws. In BC, they give people tickets fork bike racks obscuring the rear license plate.

3 hours ago, Point Break said:

I did have to remember a fast food drive through was no longer possible though.......nor was it a good idea to pull directly into the garage after an outing........

Got caught in this with a almost new sail board on the rood of my VW Bus....  to my fortune, the mast took the brunt of the damage.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zonker said:

Check your region's laws. In BC, they give people tickets fork bike racks obscuring the rear license plate.

Good point...

1 hour ago, nacradriver said:
3 hours ago, Zonker said:

Good point...

Here in NZ you can get a supplementary plate that you attach to your bikes for that reason, or some people just make one.

I have the same "tray" make and model as the unit in the first picture. I bought it to replace the "hanging" type in the second picture. The hanging type are OK for regular street bikes and older style bike frames, but they don't work for many mountain bikes or kids bikes because they don't have a classic crossbar. You end up having to buy (or make) a crossbar hanger thingumajig to srap between the seat post and the handlebars.

We have lots of bikes. Road bikes, mountain bikes, bmx , jump, you name it. We use this one fro our truck and minivan. Really durable, secure, and stable. -Best bang for the buck in my opinion;

https://www.amazon.com/Yakima-FourTimer-Hitch-Bike-Rack/dp/B00U0F8WZA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1541538765&sr=8-7&keywords=yakima+hitch+rack&refinements=p_89%3AYakima

1 hour ago, We are Rimas! said:

We have lots of bikes. Road bikes, mountain bikes, bmx , jump, you name it. We use this one fro our truck and minivan. Really durable, secure, and stable. -Best bang for the buck in my opinion;

https://www.amazon.com/Yakima-FourTimer-Hitch-Bike-Rack/dp/B00U0F8WZA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1541538765&sr=8-7&keywords=yakima+hitch+rack&refinements=p_89%3AYakima

Saw that and I have always liked Yakima stuff...  it is in the hunt along with the one from Kuat...  one of my work colleagues has this one and loves it. 

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Kuat/TS03G.html

4 hours ago, nacradriver said:

Saw that and I have always liked Yakima stuff...  it is in the hunt along with the one from Kuat...  one of my work colleagues has this one and loves it. 

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Kuat/TS03G.html

Looks good. Cheaper too.  It may not have the adjustability of the yakima but if you dont have a lot of different sized bike it will probably work for you. Fyi we also have a cheaper amazon double bike carrier we use as well sometimes. 

I personally like the roof-rack option.  The car still works like normal (trunk access and all that).  You do take a hit in fuel-mileage with bikes up there, but you can still use the hitch for a trailer.  Get a couple of different mount for whatever you need. I bought a Yakima system back in 2001 and still use the same posts, bars and racks today. I've also acquired a few adapters to factory roof racks.  These are great if you're looking for 2-3 bikes to move (beyond that, factory bars get loaded/wobbly).  I can move any bike I need to.  If it rains, they get a rinse instead of covered in road-squaz like the hitch mounted bikes get (big plus not having to wash your bike before you ride).

Having said that, a roof rack on a minivan, or any other tall-ish vehicle can be a PITA to load and unload.  It's all on what you're after. As was mentioned above, whichever you get, make sure the bikes are secure and not swinging around. A good shop should let you give one a try before you buy.

32 minutes ago, linaszuk said:

I personally like the roof-rack option.  The car still works like normal (trunk access and all that).  You do take a hit in fuel-mileage with bikes up there, but you can still use the hitch for a trailer.  Get a couple of different mount for whatever you need. I bought a Yakima system back in 2001 and still use the same posts, bars and racks today. I've also acquired a few adapters to factory roof racks.  These are great if you're looking for 2-3 bikes to move (beyond that, factory bars get loaded/wobbly).  I can move any bike I need to.  If it rains, they get a rinse instead of covered in road-squaz like the hitch mounted bikes get (big plus not having to wash your bike before you ride).

Having said that, a roof rack on a minivan, or any other tall-ish vehicle can be a PITA to load and unload.  It's all on what you're after. As was mentioned above, whichever you get, make sure the bikes are secure and not swinging around. A good shop should let you give one a try before you buy.

This,  I used to hang my skis off the back of my wrangler (soft top so I had no choice)...  Evil road crud does not describe what happens back there...  You got mudflaps??  

On 11/4/2018 at 4:14 PM, nacradriver said:

Looking to get a bike rack to hang off the back of the mini-van...  have a two inch receiver for the hitch..

Run away from the bottom.  I've got it, but I have the version for 5 bikes.  There's some major issues that aren't obvious from the pretty pictures.  First - not all frames will actually fit on that.  Next - you're going to have pedal interference bike to bike.  Next, you're going to have handlebar interference bike to bike.

It's near impossible to get 4, much less 5, bikes on that bottom one without having to redo them a couple times to get all the pedals, handle bars, and frames to align "just right" so they'll fit.  You have to alternate bike direction, and have to alternate whether the support is under the top frame rail or the bottom to get the handle bars to fit.  And when they are all attached, you have to put padding between everything to prevent damage.  Just NO.  Look at the picture in Owen's post and consider how you'd make those bikes with different frames all fit.

And while the idea of being able to tip it to open the rear gate of the minivan is sexy, actually lowering 4 or 5 bikes worth of weight and then putting them back in position is decidely not sexy.  It's hard.

48 minutes ago, shaggy said:

You got mudflaps??  

Yes, put those on last weekend... 

I'll sell you my (bottom) Thule cheap.  It does tilt away so the hatch can be opened.  I'm getting the (top) carrier to handle the electric bikes.

BT

On 11/4/2018 at 5:47 PM, Snaggletooth said:

I digge the Thulle, you cane tippet to allowe reare hatche accesse.

yeah, I have one of those too, couple bungees thru the rims or a cable lock keeps the wagging down to a minumum.. I like it. I only ever carry a bike or three

Get a Kuat. Make sure that any securing arm you get touches the wheel, not the frame.  It will scratch the frame over time.   

On 11/4/2018 at 1:14 PM, nacradriver said:

NTTIATWWT

Usually transporting two carbon road bikes.  Would never use the hanging models.  If you can find one of these, I would highly recommend it -  very secure, no frame touching, no wobble under normal driving conditions.  And very light, easy to handle.  Given the high ratings and user satisfaction, I can understand why this model has been discontinued; nor can I find any chat about it to explain.  5 Star Buy recommendation from this user.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saris-Thelma-2-Bicycle-Rack-Hitch-Mounted-Two-Bike-Carrier/113335811670?hash=item1a63573e56:g:Af8AAOSwVZ5b1eEB:rk:7:pf:0