_dinsdale_

Fixing a Pad Eye to the deck with no access below

As the title says. I am building a barber hauler system on my 33ft sloop so there will be a considerable (sideways) load on the fitting BUT the ideal place for pad eye has no access to the underneath for any kind of backing-plate or fender washer. The boat has a double lining ie: deck and interior lining with no core but there is space between the two layers just no access to it without serious destructive work. Any suggestions welcome.

D

A hole saw to the liner to create access and make a pretty cover plate out of teak or something.

Mine has wooden plugs (like sheet metal plugs, but made from mahogany, I think) with nice tapered caps, that fit into holes bored for that purpose.  You can pop 'em out with a screwdriver for access.

Weirdly, all the images for "wood plugs" that I can google up are either conventional straight plugs or fancy things that apparently are for inserting into holes in your body. :unsure:

Wouldn't be too hard to make with a lathe.  

5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

A hole saw to the liner to create access and make a pretty cover plate out of teak or something.

This 

How thick is the deck there? The West System manual gives data on pull strength of machine screws embedded in epoxy plugs, comparable with through-bolted screws. Need deck thickness greater than screw depth.

Cut a largeish hole (size of pad-eye?), insert a metal backing plate cut in two so that each piece fits through the hole and extends beyond it, pre-drilled to mate to the pad-eye screws, epoxy the plates in place (hold with temporary screws, etc). Fill gap with thickened epoxy, mount pad-eye. Practise first.

If you go with rivnut rather than Fleetwood's method (best), is the deck cored?

Use sheet metal screws like Hunter does. If it's heavily loaded use the #12. For extreme loads, use #14. :)

If the deck is cored, you can bond in threaded G10 inserts from the top, almost as good as a backing plate if done right (better, in shear). 

THANKS to all for the suggestions. Will go to the boat for another inspection with these thoughts in mind. At this point leaning towards Fleetwood's suggestion of slipping a backing plate/s in from above. (PS. Deck isn't cored for those who asked)

D

16 minutes ago, _dinsdale_ said:

THANKS to all for the suggestions. Will go to the boat for another inspection with these thoughts in mind. At this point leaning towards Fleetwood's suggestion of slipping a backing plate/s in from above. (PS. Deck isn't cored for those who asked)

D

You can put in a backing plate quite a bit larger than the hole if you make the hole an oval.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2018 at 8:22 AM, Ishmael said:

You can put in a backing plate quite a bit larger than the hole if you make the hole an oval.

Thanks for the tip!