Sign in to follow this  
Spyrannakat

Sun Fast 3200 Forestay & Shrouds Replacement

Hello everyone,

This is my first thread as i am a "fresh" member of Sailing Anarchy. 

I am a crew member of a SF 3200 (built in 2008) sailing Team. As part of a maintenance program i want to ask if anybody has an idea of when is it recommended to replace forestay & shrouds (dyform) for the first time? The mast is aluminium made.

Thank you in advance

For a boat that "lives' on salt water the recommended time is 10 to 11 years . Most owners push this further, but it is not really a safe bet. Corrosion and crystallization of the stainless steel is not always obvious and easy to spot.

We make complete rigging systems in both 1x19 and Compacted Strand (aka Dyform) . Feel free to contact me if are interested in a price for the rigging.  rod@velasailingsupply.com

• Like 1

The key considerations for longevity are:

• What's the safety factor assumption of the rigging
  • Where do you sail
  • How do you sail?
  • How much do you sail?
  • What's the water temperature
  • Is the boat stored for the winter with the mast unstepped and kept indoors?

Unfortunately, while those considerations might suggest a longer or shorter life span for the rigging, there is absolutely no useful data anywhere. No rigger will stand behind any rig life claims. Not many rigs fall down.

Architectural applications for rigging use far, far, far longer life spans for the same technologies irrespective of the environmental considerations. No one can explain why.

I recommend you approach it from the other perspective - what's a reasonable budget per day of sailing to spend on standing rigging replacement? If you sail 40 days a year for 10 years and budget $10 per day for standing rigging, that's $4000 and more than enough to replace your standing rigging if you do the labor. Rigging is pretty cheap, I bet you spend more on beer.

• Like 1

I recently did a rig inspection on our SF3200 and the rigger was happy that everything was fine - needed for insurance purposes and at 10 years old this should be done and documented to cover any insurance claims if you do drop it.

For what it's worth, he suggested it should have a useful racing life of 15 years due to the wide spreader base and therefore lower loads on a relatively short rig.

I doubt the designer's goal was more weight aloft and higher rigging costs! You'd think that if the load was less that the designer of the rig would use skinnier rigging elements to stick with "standard" safety factors.

A visual inspection can only find cracks after they're there. Dye penetration can help spot cracks before they're otherwise visible. X-Rays can find corrosion before cracks develop. I'm not aware of any approach that can determine the useful life of the rig other than destructive testing.

A visual inspection can only tell you it's not already broken - nothing more.