yl75

Spindrift 2 Jules Verne 2018

Opening this thread to follow Spindrift 2 Jules Verne 2018 attempt, they are in stand by since the 5.

Maybe an opportunity around Monday ? (nothing tremendous though)

7 hours ago, QBF said:

No activity on their boat as of this post...

http://pv.viewsurf.com/?id=284

1348158392_Spindrift2.thumb.png.f3db2a80466c4737e82157eaa2420594.png

Funny how this webcam always has a breaking point on spindrift 2, making it look a bit strange :)

Note that on the back the cat is ZED7 (squid) from Gerald Bilbot, that should restart for the RdR.

(a TS5 from Marsaudon, kind of my dream boat at this point)

A window around next Sunday ?

But the trades look like really messed up around Cabo Verde in the days after, and the Doldrums quite active

Could be one to watch if they get a window to give it the beans, there's a solid chance they'll do it UNDER 40 days. Which as a mind blowing achievement. 

I can imagine the conversation the designers had last spring. Should we put a mast won't fall down? No, too mainstream. Better foils? been there done that. New sail wardrobe? Eh. Hey, why not put the fucking garden shed in the back. YES THATS A GREAT IDEA. Thats the only conversation I can imagine them having over the grotesque rear end.

• Like 3

I'm sure those inside it out of the weather and relatively dry whilst going through the Southern latitudes at 30-40 knots won't give 2 shits what it looks like.

• Like 2

While we are looking at the boat, the garden shed does seem practical if not sexy.  Speaking of which, after looking at the wreckage of Banque Populaire, the image of Spindrift here seems to put the forward cross beam much further forward, perhaps helping in ensure those bows won't fall off.  Like the old Team Phillips from a couple decades ago that broke its bows, BP seemed to have long sections of unsupported bows, or maybe its just an illusion?  Anyway, I hope Spindrift finds a weather window.

They just left to Brest :

from twitter (not sure why but the copy link to tweet doesn't work anymore for me)

and indeed they don't appear on the cam anymore .

Not sure what window they are targeting however ? (or not yet targeting any)

image.png

• Like 1

On 11/29/2018 at 6:36 PM, Raptorsailor said:

Could be one to watch if they get a window to give it the beans, there's a solid chance they'll do it UNDER 40 days. Which as a mind blowing achievement. 

I can imagine the conversation the designers had last spring. Should we put a mast won't fall down? No, too mainstream. Better foils? been there done that. New sail wardrobe? Eh. Hey, why not put the fucking garden shed in the back. YES THATS A GREAT IDEA. Thats the only conversation I can imagine them having over the grotesque rear end.

Why is there a solid chance to cut 12% off the boat's previous best? (2012 record).  Have they made some big changes?

Maybe a window around Thursday Friday (more Thursday)

By the way the mast isn't new, it's the original one (cut for the RdR 2014), smaller than last year, but new sails, as to the shed, think it looks cool and functional, and no added windage

32 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Maybe a window around Thursday Friday (more Thursday)

By the way the mast isn't new, it's the original one (cut for the RdR 2014), smaller than last year, but new sails, as to the shed, think it looks cool and functional, and no added windage

Guichard interview :

https://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/trophee-jules-verne-guichard-pas-anodin-de-faire-un-tour-du-monde-10-12-2018-12157731.php

He also says the end of stand by is end January

• Like 1

On 11/30/2018 at 12:06 PM, tama_manu said:

While we are looking at the boat, the garden shed does seem practical if not sexy.  Speaking of which, after looking at the wreckage of Banque Populaire, the image of Spindrift here seems to put the forward cross beam much further forward, perhaps helping in ensure those bows won't fall off.  Like the old Team Phillips from a couple decades ago that broke its bows, BP seemed to have long sections of unsupported bows, or maybe its just an illusion?  Anyway, I hope Spindrift finds a weather window.

Jesus , i'd forgotten how close together those beams were . You can almost see the bows wracking while tied to the dock .

• Like 1

Looks like  Thursday/Friday window is shaping up a bit, even if quite tricky at the start and will require to go very close to Africa (East of the Canaries)

Can we call it something nicer than a shed? Perhaps a pagoda? Or a pavilion? Alternately, a mezzanine. I'm just hoping they get to go. I have lost interest in the GGR since Suzie withdrew and the only thing left is Jean Socrates and the Longue Route map, (https://maps.sail.cloud/home/event/19) but those guys are all rather slow!

I think there is a spell on this boat and the JV, started early, with Bidegorry not starting at all on the first attempt.

Maybe a window around Wednesday, going close to Portugal, nothing tremendous but ...

On 12/28/2018 at 11:17 AM, yl75 said:

I think there is a spell on this boat and the JV, started early, with Bidegorry not starting at all on the first attempt.

Loïck Peyron did not felt it at all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, semelis said:

Loïck Peyron did not felt it at all.

Ah yes true, somehow forgot this one.

The Wednesday window looks quite managable

12 hours ago, yl75 said:

Ah yes true, somehow forgot this one.

The Wednesday window looks quite managable

Loick Peyron is actually a god. This might have temporarily alleviated the curse in order for them to get the Jules Verne. Then again the boat does hold the all time 24hr record. And you could argue BPXI was TurboCursed from the get go. So it's hard to say.

• Like 1

I love these big tris, they are incredible. It´s a pity they spend more time in port than sailing...

This boat still holds two of the major records, the Atlantic west-east record and the 24 hr, both set on the same run, years ago now as BP.  Spindrift have been on standby in the US at least twice that I recall and never went.

I think Francis Joyon said something like you just have to try and go,  before one of the IDEC crewed around the world runs.  They missed once, gave up in the south Atlantic once, then did it.  No messing around on IDEC. 

The ex BP still has the potential but maybe not for very much longer with the new boats coming on now even with the setbacks.  Macif or Gitana with a small crew could take it and maybe make Spindrift redundant in the process.  Wasted years and potential.

• Like 1

So they won't start today ? Nothing exceptional and quite risky along Portugal, but they might regret that one ...

Go for it !

Another window is shaping up for Tuesday 8 it seems

From facebook direct message answer (on their page), they are not planning any start this week, a bit strange, nothing exceptional, but it's getting really late ...

Maybe they should hire you for their routing. You're all over this and posting when nobody has asked or engaged you to and they're DEFINITELY checking sailing anarchy to see when they should go. 

23 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

Maybe they should hire you for their routing. You're all over this and posting when nobody has asked or engaged you to and they're DEFINITELY checking sailing anarchy to see when they should go. 

Ohlala ...

Their communication is really minimal, would indeed be nice is they could share some of their analysis.

But for sure if we get into another period of big lows with South West all over Biscay like in November, it will be over for this year, whereas this week there could be some suboptimal openings.

at least something is being communicated on this.  nothing seems to come out from the 'team'.  my guess they will not go, hope i'm wrong.  was looking forward to this as winter entertainment with nothing else of interest happening since the RDR.

Saturday/Sunday looks like doable but not great at all, but next Wednesday looks better (although quite far away at this point)

And I hope they will listen this time !!

• Like 2

On 1/11/2019 at 11:25 PM, yl75 said:

Saturday/Sunday looks like doable but not great at all, but next Wednesday looks better (although quite far away at this point)

And I hope they will listen this time !!

Might be right about Wednesday this is from there offical Facebook page 

3D339867-B50C-4578-AF7C-BE5350C889FA.png

• Like 3

Finally, something to get folks attention away from the long time past S2H.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

See if they can get around before the Golden Globe guys finish.

Maybe not VDH and Slats but probably before the rest of them!

Spindrift crew at their news conference before leaving

Dw8rlEAWkAA4II6.jpg

Departure postponed to tomorrow morning for Spindrift 2. Yann Guichard's maxi trimaran should leave his pontoon around 8 pm tomorrow Wednesday to get on ouessant and pass the departure line before noon.

Spindrift.jpg.6a293082d45f669485ea7c7a1f2527a0.jpg

2 hours ago, QBF said:

Departure postponed to tomorrow morning for Spindrift 2. Yann Guichard's maxi trimaran should leave his pontoon around 8 pm 8 am tomorrow Wednesday to get on ouessant and pass the departure line before noon.

Thanks for the update, slight fix in the time

Good to see Sam Goodchild on board.

Crew of Spindrift 2:
Yann Guichard (skipper)
Erwan Israel (navigator)
Jacques Guichard (watch leader / helm)
Christophe Espagnon (watch leader / helm)
Xavier Revil (watch leader / helm)
François Morvan (helm)
Thierry Chabagny (helm)
Sam Goodchild ((helm / bow)
Erwan Le Roux (helm)
Duncan Späth (helm)
Benjamin Schwartz (helm / bow)
Jackson Bouttell (helm / bow)
---
Jean-Yves Bernot (onshore router)

7 minutes ago, Baguette du Fromage said:

They will cross the line at 12:00 (am)

Midnight?

Or 12pm - midday?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Baguette du Fromage said:

AHAHAH sry for my mistake ! Noon if u prefer

No need for apologies! it's the confucktion of the non-24 hour clock that we on these isles insist on using...

I wish the tracker was in NM and not KM, hopefully they’ll change it

6 minutes ago, JL92S said:

I wish the tracker was in NM and not KM, hopefully they’ll change it

Odd . . . the tracker shows NM on my computer

Great that it's not just me that can't change the photo on the AIS details. Their's still shows Bank Pop!

Is the weather tab on the tracker working for anyone else?  No love here?!

Good luck to them...

It is going to be incredibly hard to beat.

From South Atlantic to South of New Zealand, Joyon and his crew have done what I think will be very hard to beat for a long time: they have sailed NINE days in a row above 800 miles per day (or really-really close to 800 miles per day). More than a week at above 32 knots AVERAGE !!

Now with foilers, maybe I will be proven wrong in the next 12 months.....

We will have something to look around for the next week (until  they make a 180 turn and head back home) or if they are really really lucky for the next 5 weeks.

On 1/15/2019 at 8:39 AM, Fralo said:

Final preparations before leaving Brest

1.jpg

What's in the bags, fuel?

2 hours ago, Wess said:

Is the weather tab on the tracker working for anyone else?  No love here?!

I have no idea why but the weather tab works when I view the tracker on google chrome, but not when I view it on Firefox

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Son of a Sailor said:

I have no idea why but the weather tab works when I view the tracker on google chrome, but not when I view it on Firefox

Exactly the same happens with chomium and firefox under linux.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liquid said:

I was guessing water ballast. 

1 hour ago, Son of a Sailor said:

19 minutes ago, semelis said:

Exactly the same happens with chomium and firefox under linux.

Thanks guys.  So it was for me as well.

They should be quite ahead at the equator (or at least at the doldrums), may even beat their own record on this "leg"

We'll have to keep an eye on barnacle growth on this one vs. Golden Globe boats. I'm thinking you're going to be selecting for pretty streamlined barnacles. 

• Like 4

Over 700 nm the first day.

After Canary Islands there's a bit of a lull, but well past Cap Vert should be fast and straightforward.

19 hours ago, Liquid said:

That would be a bit too much I think, water ? Air bags to secure some places in cases of "crashes" :) ?

By the way what are all the "dotes" on the black part of the rear beam (bottom right of the pic), some kind of padeyes/attachment points ? There are plenty also on the front beams as well, can be seen in one of the pic in below post :

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/205167-spindrift-2-jules-verne-2018/&do=findComment&comment=6449264

Macif is in Lorient being repaired after the damage suffered during the RdR.

The "worthy competitor" is the record set by Joyon. This is, indeed, a record breaking attempt, not a race.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Windy is not giving a very happy forecast for weekend of 29 Jan for the S Atlantic

Screenshot (1).png

But the critical part will be earlier, whether they manage to catch the low off Brazil that we can see on the 22 or not. And looks like they will be a bit late for that one, so will have a hole (elongated st Helena low)  to cross

I've been wondering...  if a good system develops quite deep South...  how far South will they go, versus not wanting to risk icebergs?  We've become accustomed to the Volvo, Vendee, etc, having ice limits now...  It's easy to forget that (unless I'm mistaken) that the only southern limit for a record attempt is the coast of Antarctica.

With the budget of a program like this, I'm also wondering if they might have technology aboard beyond ordinary radar for iceberg avoidance.

They use satellite images to assist if budget permits.  IDEC I believe didn't do much if any of this on their runs.

There are no ice limits.

The JV trophee has a 62 deg south limit I believe which is more to do with minimum distance traveled than anything else.  BP got very close to that limit on their record run in this boat just before cape horn if my memory serves.

Not sure about the official record rules but somehow I doubt it says anything about limits south.

• Like 1

It is quite civilized for the team to tell us the menu for this evening

Cod cream sauce
Cheese and
bacon pasta

Stan Honey reported as much civility when he navigated to win the JV in 2010

For the pleasure, a beautiful photo taken on board on January 17, 2019

2019.01.17 en mer.jpg