Snajdarn

Installing NMEA 2000 network combined with older Raymarine Seatalk instruments

Hi!

I am finally updating my electronics with an inboard autopilot (Simrad NAC-2, precision 9 compass, RF25 rudder sensor and Raymarine Linear drive type 1) and will at the same time clean-up my current installation to a proper NMEA 2000 network. I could use some input on my suggested solution... will this work, or any better solutions? Further, I also think it should be enough with one 12V power input via one of the T-connectors into the NMEA 2000 network, and that should also be able to power the Seatalk part of the network (the two ST60 instruments), or would they need their own power as questioned on the drawing?

Thanks for input :)

nmea2000.jpg

That should work, what’s your physical layout ? 

Ruddersensor to MFD to compass distance ? 

42 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

That should work, what’s your physical layout ? 

Ruddersensor to MFD to compass distance ? 

About 5 meters or so, MFD to ruddersensor

Only further comments:

You don’t show a controller for pilot. MFD will draw significant current.  If you plan on sailing under pilot, it may be worth a future controller so you can power down the Zeus. 

What is your future expansion for

sensors:

• Depth
  • boatspeed
  • Temp/pressure/humidity/sea temp
  • acceleration & heel/pitch

Displays:

• graphic
  • numeric combined
  • large digit numeric

and did you supply enough power to N2k to support it. 

Thanks for input :)

That's correct, I don't have an AP controller installed. I was hoping to get by only with the MFD and will probably get a wireless remote as well (WR10 or similar) but it's a good point about the power consumption. When the older Raymarine depth/wind/speed units eventually die I will replace them with B&G. I am uncertain if one power input to the n2k network is enough for the compass, rudder sensor and the two Raymarine units, but would think so? The MFD and Autopilot will have their own external power inputs  

That should be plenty of power.  I have a similar system with more devices (modern Raymarine vs B&G) and there is only one 12V tap into the NMEA 2000 backbone.

High current NMEA 2000 devices like the MFD and autopilot drive have their own 12V power taps, and you already show that.  Everything else on my network draws 100ma or less, and I have a 5A fuse (Raymarine's recommended size) on the NMEA 2000 power line.  The actual power wires in NMEA 2000 are pretty small, I think 20ga.

Make sure that the MFD alone can fully configure and calibrate your autopilot.  On Raymarine the MFD can do almost all autopilot stuff, but not everything.  I've used B&G a lot, but haven't had to configure an autopilot on a B&G boat so I'm not sure of how that works.

I rarely power on our MFD anymore and tend to use an iPad for navigation.  We have a Yacht Devices Wi-Fi gateway that gets all of the NMEA 2000 onto WiFi, so I get AIS and boat instrumentation on the iPad as well.  I added a NMEA 2000 GPS receiver so that I can power on the instruments without running the MFD.  We have a tiller boat with no great location for the MFD in the cockpit, so it lives down below.

Thanks for the comment. As far as I have managed to understand the B&G Zeus2 is capable of all of the config & calibration for the NAC-2 AP but perhaps anyone know 100%?

Maretron has a free product that can be used to draw a NMEA2000 network, specify cable lengths, specify loads, and specify voltage at power injection points. From that, it generates a report on the voltage that can be expected at every node in the network.

Yes, the user interface is absolutely fucking horrible and it's cantankerous as hell to use, but it does produce the correct results. If you aren't trying to create beautiful drawings, most of the glaring problems can be ignored.

You can find the application on the Download tab of this page.

10 hours ago, serioladumerili said:

Hmm, I am sure that my SeaTalk1 instruments (ST60+ wind and ST60+ tridata) are powered thru SeaTalk-SeaTalkNG adapter. I will check tomorrow

Yes, today mine are as well with a Seatalk plug directly into one of the instruments from 12V, but I will remove that power-input now and instead feed that into the n2k network as that will be plenty of power for the whole network (also the two seatalk displays) 

9 hours ago, Moonduster said:

Maretron has a free product that can be used to draw a NMEA2000 network, specify cable lengths, specify loads, and specify voltage at power injection points. From that, it generates a report on the voltage that can be expected at every node in the network.

Yes, the user interface is absolutely fucking horrible and it's cantankerous as hell to use, but it does produce the correct results. If you aren't trying to create beautiful drawings, most of the glaring problems can be ignored.

You can find the application on the Download tab of this page.

Sounds like a useful tool, thanks for info :)

It is interesting how B&G's marketing also captures people with a competitors electronic package by indicating a change over to BG can be done slowly and not as one complete change. Very smart.

However I would exercise some caution attempting to have say a Raymarine AP Course Computer being driven by a B&G MFD via a ST to NG/2k Converter. For instance it may depend on the firmware date of that Ray Converter. Even Ray MFD's connected via NG/2k to older ST/183 AP's have experienced that problem.

https://ww2.bandg.com/upgrade-to-bg-this-winter/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral

Vulcan-ST60-upgrade-782x1024.jpg

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

It is interesting how B&G's marketing also captures people with a competitors electronic package by indicating a change over to BG can be done slowly and not as one complete change. Very smart.

However I would exercise some caution attempting to have say a Raymarine AP Course Computer being driven by a B&G MFD via a ST to NG/2k Converter. For instance it may depend on the firmware date of that Ray Converter. Even Ray MFD's connected via NG/2k to older ST/183 AP's have experienced that problem.

https://ww2.bandg.com/upgrade-to-bg-this-winter/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral

Vulcan-ST60-upgrade-782x1024.jpg

Very clever indeed. The losers in the new market might be the ones who tries to desperately hold on to their own proprietary network connectors when most others transition to standard n2k connectors. About the pilot, I don't think it is possible to control a Raymarine autopilot with a B&G MFD, but only send wind and gps data to the pilot 

My understanding is that the Ray AP can see the instrument data on the NMEA 2000 network and you can set way points on the B&G MFD and then set the Ray AP (through the Ray AP control head) to steer to that way point, but otherwise, you cannot control it the Ray AP through the B&G MFD, you either need an Ray MFD or AP control head for full AP control. 

Maybe B&G will figure out a way to do that and push it down through future updates.

Also keep in mind that you currently need a MFD from a given manufacturer to update that manufacturers network components. B&G can do any of the Navico brand stuff, and Ray needs Ray to update. Found that out the hard way when I added a Ray AP to my otherwise B&G/Lowrance system and needed to buy a Ray MFD to get the AP to actually work properly.